Mar 16

5 Things the RIGS Developers Learned from VR

Mark Green's Avatar Posted by on Mar 16, 2016 // Senior Producer, Guerrilla Cambridge

With all the PlayStation VR news coming out of GDC this week, we thought it was the perfect opportunity to give you a little insight into how we’re approaching development of our upcoming PS VR arena shooter RIGS: Mechanized Combat League.

It’s a real honor to be at the vanguard of VR game development, but being first to the plate has not been without its challenges! Read on to learn about some of the surprising things we’ve learned about making video games for virtual reality…

1.) New Rules

Early on, we found out that you can’t just take existing elements, put them in VR, and expect them to work well. You need to build the experience from the ground up and most of the time apply design techniques that haven’t even been written yet.

Simple 2D menus, for instance, simply don’t work in VR. So how do you present information to the player in VR? That was quite a challenge for us and in the end we created some very nifty ways in which the player can not only navigate the game but also interact.

For example, with traditional 2D screens everything is flat and you don’t have to refocus when you switch between gameplay and HUD elements. In VR the sense of depth is so much greater that switching requires you to refocus your vision. The more details on the HUD, the more information you need to process. So, for example, we are using a charge bar for ammo instead of a counter.

RIGS: Mechanized Combat League on PlayStation VRRIGS: Mechanized Combat League on PlayStation VR

2.) Being There

RIGS is a game where you pilot six-meter tall RIGs, but how do we make sure you actually feel like you are piloting one of these huge machines around the arena?

One of the ways we tell you that you’re actually inside a RIG is that you don’t start the game inside your RIG. You start in the garage looking up at your RIG towering above you.

The other example is that once you are inside the RIG, you will see your teammates being lifted inside their respective RIGs. It all comes down to the sense of presence and that is a key element of developing for PlayStation VR.

3.) Sound

Talking about presence and how important it is that you feel like you are controlling a six-meter tall RIG, a major component of that is sound. With PlayStation VR we can use 3D positional audio to help.

This allows us to let you hear where the danger is coming from. Not only will you be able to hear a missile approaching, you will hear where it is coming from and have an idea of how far it is away from you. This helps the immersion and the gameplay of RIGS.

RIGS: Mechanized Combat League on PlayStation VR

4.) Comfort

RIGS is a fast-paced multiplayer arena shooter in which it is vital that you are able to react quickly to what is happening around you. PlayStation VR has no noticeable latency, so movement is fluid when looking around. This is very important to us and really benefits the experience.

Another plus is that PlayStation VR sits very comfortably. After playing for a few minutes you hardly notice that you are wearing it, which is a huge boost to immersion. When playing RIGS we want you to have the most comfortable experience possible.

5.) Playing is Believing

One thing we found out early on is that the best way to explain VR is to actually experience it. We’ve taken RIGS around the world and been to as many game shows as possible to give people a hands-on experience. In the end, there really is no substitute for getting hands on and trying PS VR for yourself.

Be sure to keep an eye on our Twitter account to get the latest info on where we will be next showing RIGS: Mechanized Combat League.

+ dmfarris90 on March 16th, 2016 at 7:07 am said:

Can’t wait, played at PSX and it was amazing! Will definitely be a day one pick up for me!

+ Coolwater on March 16th, 2016 at 7:36 am said:

@dmfarriss90 Same here! RIGS is what sold me on VR. I was originally a wait and see, and since PSX i’m a day one.

+ Squadren_64 on March 16th, 2016 at 7:15 am said:

I reeeeally wish I had the money for this. Anyone wanna lend me 400 bucks? :P

+ reson8er on March 16th, 2016 at 7:41 am said:

No. But if you save $2.01 EVERY DAY from today to October 1st. you will have the $400 you need.

+ windsmere on March 16th, 2016 at 9:22 am said:

Don’t forget you need the PS camera (sold separately) also if you don’t already own it.

+ Sindred on March 16th, 2016 at 2:38 pm said:

Please consider allowing turning and moving your robot to the controller and my actual head turning is more to survey my surroundings. They way I’ve seen it played, your head turns your robot. That seems like a recipe for motion sickness in such a fast paced game. Otherwise this look amazing.

+ Fin1drful on March 16th, 2016 at 7:24 am said:

Sick of VR already!!

+ Deathdeliverer on March 16th, 2016 at 8:19 am said:

Might want to find something else to do in your spare time then cause VR is here to stay and I couldn’t be happier. Bring on RIGS!!!

+ TeamGreen615 on March 16th, 2016 at 8:34 am said:

@Fin1drful me too mate!

+ windsmere on March 16th, 2016 at 9:18 am said:

It’s here to stay just like PS Move was here to stay huh?

+ Sindred on March 16th, 2016 at 2:40 pm said:

PS move is here to stay. It’s being used with PSVR. Thus it’s still here. So try another one.

+ livingwithoutyou on March 16th, 2016 at 8:59 am said:

Can anyone who has played this game tell me if all the stuff in your center vision is bad for the game? I saw some first person gameplay of it but the center of the characters vision seems to be blocked by a bunch of vitals and things of the sort.

+ cosmis_chaos on March 16th, 2016 at 9:47 am said:

@windsmere. Ummm yeah if you haven’t noticed it is part of the VR experience. So yeah it is here to stay.

+ windsmere on March 16th, 2016 at 10:28 am said:

Shew, that’s good. Here I was thinking it would take them almost three years to bring Move to PS4.

+ Butters360 on March 16th, 2016 at 10:45 am said:

Thank you again for my jersey. Loved the game at PSX. Beyond sold.

+ shadysaiyanz on March 16th, 2016 at 11:39 am said:

I’m getting PSVR but this is the ONLY game im really excited about still. I know i’ll be playing it for a while. Gotta wait till October though.

+ plaztiksyke on March 16th, 2016 at 11:55 am said:

RIGS is the only PS VR experience that has made me extremely nauseous, both times I tried it. Using the right stick to “steer” ends up moving the view in the HMD without my moving my head. The first time it happened, it was jarring. The second time, I got a weird, dizzy feeling. The third time, I had to raise my hand and have the attendant get the HMD off me.

I was still able to make 3 or 4 baskets in that time, which was fun! :)

That being said, the view rotationally moving when the HMD doesn’t seems like a major control flaw. Is that going to be fixed? (Last build I played was at PSX a few months ago.)

also, will the final release render in native 1080p? The resolution in the builds I played was much lower than other PS VR experiences.

+ Welmosca on March 16th, 2016 at 12:53 pm said:

The game sure looks beautiful…this is one I’m looking forward to try out.

+ BlueBl1zzard on March 20th, 2016 at 1:40 pm said:

You and me both buddy : )

+ everton247b on March 18th, 2016 at 8:53 am said:

Will rigs let you play one using the TV screen and the other using the vr head set as a couch competitive game? Sony have said they dont want vr as an isolated game experience.

+ boxcar35 on March 18th, 2016 at 6:11 pm said:

Gamers have been waiting for this for years. And this tech is a hell of a better VR tech than it was in the 90’s. So I would not complain. Im excited very. Im a FPV multi-rotor racer not drones. And this experience with FOV (field of view) from what I here is going to be 100%. So its going to be very immersive, compared to some FPV goggles like Fat Shark HD goggles. Which you only get like 40% FOV. But this will never take away from the adrenaline rush of FPV racing. If you think you get motion sickness from VR try FPV racing. Its like a roller coaster. Two difference worlds will collide. FPV racing vs VR Very Excited for PSVR!!! Sony Make a FPV racing Simulator for playstation 4 its never been done for any sony system only for PC which bites. Make it someone. It will make tons of money guaranteed!! And it will also help the game industry and FPV racing collide! PSVR!!!

+ PanTheMan16 on March 21st, 2016 at 9:12 pm said:

Driveclub will support PS VR, and I’m assuming GT7 will, too.

+ Xelus-82 on March 22nd, 2016 at 2:40 pm said:

I think this game would be better if the ps:move controllers were used to control each arm independently instead of your head.
FPS shooter aiming with your head…. get your neck braces ready.