God of War

Mar 21

19680337378_ae84b07bf6_z(1)

Journey Short Film Showcases One Gamer’s Life-changing Story

John Koller's Avatar Posted by on Mar 21, 2016 // Vice President, PlayStation Brand Marketing, SCEA

In many ways gaming is a magical medium. The interactive elements of games make them unique in the world of entertainment. Games are always a two way street — a conversation between the talented people that created the game and the passionate people who are playing it.

Here at PlayStation we have seen that gaming magic play out between Game Makers and Game Players for more than twenty years, but all too often that dialogue ends when gamers reach the end credits of their favorite games.

But what if that wasn’t the end? What if those incredibly talented game creators got the chance to meet their most dedicated fans to keep the conversation going? This is the core idea behind a series of short films we are producing this year: can that gaming magic happen in real life and in person?

PlayStation is inherently a brand filled with great storytellers with narratives that inspire us all. To that end, I am very proud today to show you the first film in this new series: Makers & Gamers: Journey.

Makers & Gamers: Journey was directed by Jesse Moss, the acclaimed documentary filmmaker behind The Overnighters, Full Battle Rattle, and many more. This inspirational journey is an emotional story that shows the true power of PlayStation narratives.

Journey on PS4Journey on PS4

Are there any stories about amazing game players or game makers that you would like to see told? Did you enjoy our first film? Would you like to see more documentary style videos from PlayStation in the future? Let us know in the comments below!

24 Comments

+ cmdluke on March 21st, 2016 at 1:54 pm said:

This is a really cool initiative. Love that journey is the first game showcased here. It really is a special game.

+ Mercenary09 on March 21st, 2016 at 1:55 pm said:

What a great video guys. Journey is one of my favorite games of all time and I see where that girl is coming from. I’m so glad we live in a world where we get games that can have this kind of effect on people. Can’t wait to see what Thatgamecompany comes up with next.

+ brolol07 on March 21st, 2016 at 2:16 pm said:

That was neat! I would like to see more documentaries like this from PlayStation! Games can get you in ways, such as emotional, competitive and just good old plain fun, that are unique and inspiring! Games are like no other medium because you’re an active participant in them.

+ pankur on March 21st, 2016 at 2:16 pm said:

very touching and emotional video! great job… Journey is an excellent game that deserves all the praise

+ J_dubtster on March 21st, 2016 at 2:20 pm said:

Fantastic film. I’m a documentary filmmaker and I’ve been itching to start a series on this same concept. You beat me to it, but you did an amazing job. Thank you to the people who put all their hard work into this, it’s important project and I’m glad it’s being done. I hope to contribute to this same subject in someway in the future.

+ GABEv01 on March 22nd, 2016 at 2:27 am said:

Amazing! What a great experience. Just like Journey, it moved us all. I’m sure many can relate in a way or another. I loved it!

+ PanTheMan16 on March 22nd, 2016 at 2:41 am said:

As someone who appreciates TGC more than most and who became aware of TGC’s brilliance more than most, I will say that Journey is the most overrated and over-hyped game ever, even more so than Destiny.

+ PanTheMan16 on March 22nd, 2016 at 2:43 am said:

Became aware of it Before most. Soz

+ Snooker_J on March 22nd, 2016 at 12:17 pm said:

That’s a pretty self absorbed comment haha! You need to remember Journey was made by PS for PS, they have every right to promote it however they please. What’s overrated is “hype” in general.

+ PanTheMan16 on March 22nd, 2016 at 11:05 pm said:

Just pointing out that I’ve been a fan for many years so people don’t simply assume I’m hating on TGC. I feel that Flower is one of the most beautiful and special games ever made. Journey is all concept and failure to execute. Feels rushed and unfinished, which is especially sad considering how long it was in development and how short the game is. I don’t think they really knew how to make that game and they were spending a lot of time just trying to salvage it. In the interviews, it sounded pretty nice, but yeah.. didn’t really come together.
    But, of course TGC already had a cult fanbase by that point so no matter what they make it’s going to get tons of mindless praise. And the fandom really gets to peoples’ heads and convinces them things are better than they are. I had a friend who came out of it praising it as much as everyone else, until he actually, Really thought about it. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

+ Welmosca on March 28th, 2016 at 12:35 pm said:

@ PanTheMan16 – Destiny overrated?…lol Destiny is underrated as hell.

+ Hakumen__ on March 22nd, 2016 at 7:24 am said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but any chance Journey could come to PS Vita?

+ Markus on March 22nd, 2016 at 7:26 am said:

Wow.

This should be required viewing. Thank you so much to everyone involved in making this. PLEASE make more of these.

+ bwhitlat on March 22nd, 2016 at 7:48 am said:

Wow that was a great short doc. Thanks for putting this on and showing us this cool story on how game creators can inspire, captivate, transfer people into new worlds and help people through every day life. Great job ThatGameCompany and Sony for putting this out there for people to see.

+ Nhi-Ko on March 22nd, 2016 at 9:31 am said:

If someone from ThatGameCompany reads this: your game made my life better. Flower helped me a lot at some point in my life, it was my island of piece and relief, an opportunity to gather forces and fight the darkness, to paint the world in beautiful colors.

Journey … ah Journey.. the best online experience I’ve ever lived. Finding secrets together… I replayed so many times as a white coat, guiding my temporary companions, or simply joining forces to fly a little longer… I cried so much playing this game :) I cried too watching this documentary. This is not sadness though, I don’t know what it is but it’s positive I think.

Thanks a lot.

+ MATTLOJO on March 22nd, 2016 at 11:59 am said:

This was absolutely awesome to watch. The director Jesse Moss also did a documentary called “The Overnighters” that you can find on Netflix. It’s worth a watch.

Great idea for a documentary series!

+ frcuro on March 22nd, 2016 at 12:04 pm said:

now i just want to play the game again
what a great game it was

+ DonofGodfather88 on March 22nd, 2016 at 1:57 pm said:

ThatGameCompany is a great studio and I am looking forward to their next project. Having this studio as your very first short documentary was a great choice and I would recommend next would be either Team Ico, now known genDESIGN, or Quantic Dreams. Both of these studios are in the same type of games that are consider as art. Especially Shadow of the Colossus.

+ vapefamous123 on March 22nd, 2016 at 5:33 pm said:

I’m looking forward to Hello Games creation, No Man’s Sky. It has potential to become quite the experience if done right. As Sean Murray said, he would work on it forever if he could. It could prove to be a very deep experience. Can’t wait. I’ve been following it since announcement, soaking in any details I could.

+ RoII_chan on March 22nd, 2016 at 7:50 pm said:

This game is the best game I have ever played and I really mean it, in this world full of the same ideas comes Journey and shown me and my GF that there are still beautiful things to explore in the video games, I have been for a lot of time and never met a beoutiful experience like Journey.

+ paulogy on March 23rd, 2016 at 10:43 am said:

What an amazing game and an incredible story. It’s really nice to see game creators and players connecting in this way.

+ paulogy on March 23rd, 2016 at 10:50 am said:

Oh and that Journey fan art she created was really great, too!

+ WrekGar on March 23rd, 2016 at 3:05 pm said:

Just gonna say thank you for the game and this video

+ Welmosca on March 28th, 2016 at 12:24 pm said:

Very very nice video and cool initiative…yes I would like to see more documentary style videos from PlayStation in the future.