God of War

Mar 23

18657435191_051e58245e_z

Ratchet & Clank Trailer Showcases Captain Qwark’s Dubious Narration

18657435191_051e58245e_z

James Stevenson's Avatar Posted by on Mar 23, 2016 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

Hey everyone. It seems incredible that we’re just three weeks away from the debut of two great PlayStation heroes on PS4. We’ve joked that Ratchet & Clank for PS4 is the game based on the film based on the game… and that’s actually pretty accurate!

The film and game are designed as complementary pieces. They tell the same origin story of Ratchet & Clank battling Chairman Drek, with the same major beats and character arcs. The film focuses a touch more on character development and the game is a bit more focused on the action that happens between the scenes. Our goal was to take advantage of what each medium does best.

But the game has a major departure from the film: the game is narrated by Captain Copernicus L. Qwark. So you get Qwark’s skewed self-serving version of events to set up a different way to experience the story. He gets all the big details right, but the little asides are all him. As you watch our new trailer for the game (And play it for yourself next month!) — you’ll have to ask yourself: can Qwark be trusted?

We’re hoping that when you fire up Ratchet & Clank you’ll feel the rush you felt the first time you played a Ratchet & Clank game. But we’re going beyond that nostalgia with a gorgeous Ratchet & Clank that holds up to modern standards and is a fitting debut for the franchise on PS4. We wanted to tell the ultimate version of Ratchet & Clank’s origin story, completely synced up with the feature film.

Ratchet & ClankRatchet & Clank

The game will be available on April 12th and the major motion picture from Gramercy Films follows shortly thereafter on April 29th. For fans of the series we also have a pretty sweet pre-order bonus. You’ll gain access to one of my favorite Ratchet & Clank weapons of all time, the Bouncer, if you pre-order the game on PlayStation Store or at a participating retailer by April 11th.

We’re looking forward to seeing you in the Solana Galaxy in just a few weeks.

+ hHecTIUR on March 23rd, 2016 at 9:15 am said:

HYPE!

The wait has been SO hard!

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on March 23rd, 2016 at 10:11 am said:

It has been for us too! We’re so excited for everyone to get to play this and see the film!

+ mohammad13951709 on March 23rd, 2016 at 8:49 pm said:

Off

+ whereymyconary on March 23rd, 2016 at 9:18 am said:

Strangle very excited for this. Got this, nights of azure and quantum break in the first of the month. Going to be a busy few days there.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on March 23rd, 2016 at 10:12 am said:

totally, I’m pretty stoked to check out Quantum Break, myself!

+ Crazymanwalking1 on March 24th, 2016 at 1:02 am said:

too many games in april, between this, Quantum Break and DS3 my social life in april will be non-existent.

+ tusunami on March 23rd, 2016 at 9:22 am said:

I have never experienced the Ratchet & Clank series soon I will have the opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ remanutd5 on March 23rd, 2016 at 10:08 am said:

You my friend are in for an awesome ride!!! I was never a fan of the ps2 Ratchet games ( i was more of a Jak&Daxter and Sly Cooper fan) but I did tried The first Game on the ps3 and let me tell you WOW i was surprised at how much i’d enjoyed Tools of Destruction, then i’ve bought Quest for Booty and Then one of my top 10 favorite ps3 games of all time: Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time.

+ NeoMahi on March 27th, 2016 at 11:53 pm said:

It’s amazing! Play the games on the PS3 as well.

+ Insomnia999 on March 23rd, 2016 at 9:34 am said:

Looks great!!
Surprised there isn’t a R&C show on Cartoon Network by now.

Hopefully the next Sunset Overdrive is on PS4 ;)

Sony needs to put the rest of the R&C and Resistance games on PS Now.

+ remanutd5 on March 23rd, 2016 at 10:09 am said:

I’m surprised there isnt Ratchet,lbp kids clothes yet.

+ G-Force08 on March 23rd, 2016 at 9:41 am said:

Can’t wait to play. R&C is one of my favorite game franchises out there. I’ve been itching to play this game. Also can’t wait for the movie. I’ll probably be the only grown man in the theater. :p

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on March 23rd, 2016 at 10:12 am said:

I think it’ll be fun to see all our fans at the cinema, the ages are so wide-ranging, Ratchet is something everyone loves!

+ BritishGolgo13 on March 23rd, 2016 at 9:50 am said:

I’ll be right there with you, my friend!

+ remanutd5 on March 23rd, 2016 at 10:11 am said:

No, you will not be the only one. I’m pretty sure some of us (long time ps fans) are parents now, i’m taking my 3 years old son with me to see the movie.

+ MakaiOokami on March 23rd, 2016 at 2:15 pm said:

I would be surprised if most of the audience isn’t grown men.

If My Little Pony conventions are filled with grown men, I can’t see how a series this old, has brand new followers. I mean where would little kids know them from? There hasn’t been a game release in a few years, and the HD collection was a bit under the radar. So… I doubt kids are even excited about this game.

+ racing_sloth on March 23rd, 2016 at 9:43 am said:

The hype is real. Can’t believe it’s been two years since the initial announcement!

+ nanaki85 on March 23rd, 2016 at 9:43 am said:

Looks awesome, looking forward to it and the movie.

+ Xanthus179 on March 23rd, 2016 at 10:40 am said:

I’ve had my copy pre-ordered for a month or so now. Honestly, next to the various iterations of the R.Y.N.O., the Bouncer was one of my favorite weapons, so that helped me make that decision.

Having a proper version of R&C on the PS4 is going to be incredible. It’s always been a beautiful game, and I can’t imagine how pretty it will be now. Plus, I look forward to be a 35 year old sitting in that movie theater when the film is released.

+ gameman15 on March 23rd, 2016 at 10:55 am said:

So let me get this straight. The Ratchet and Clank PS4 game is going to be based on the Ratchet and Clank movie that is based on the Ratchet and Clank PS2 game. Haven’t you guys learned your lesson from the Street Fighter movie game? If so, then you should obviously know that a video game that’s based on a movie that’s based on a video game isn’t going to work very well.

+ G-Force08 on March 23rd, 2016 at 11:06 am said:

You underestimate Insomniac Games. I’ve had hands on with the game and it’s great and faithful to the spirit of the franchise. It’s not a movie game in the traditional sense. It’s a re-imagining and reboot of the games to go along with the movie.

+ BlaqMagiq24 on March 23rd, 2016 at 12:18 pm said:

Um the Street Fighter movie game and the movie itself was both universally panned. This game and the movie are neither yet. Your comment is baseless.

+ MakaiOokami on March 23rd, 2016 at 2:33 pm said:

You phrased it wrong.

Street Fighter is a cash in game series where they release turbos and ultras, and tweaks and overcharge for the because of the arcade popularity. Then some group made a cash in movie for the hell of it, then they worked on a cash in game, on the cash in movie, for the cash in franchise, to milk more money.

Ratchet and Clank has been a series that they love working on. They were always aiming to be Toy Story level graphics in a game, and they are finally getting to the point to where the hardware can perform near movie quality graphics in real time. So what they did was they made a movie, and a game as companion pieces, but with subtle narrative differences because of the narrator of the game.

These are completely different scenarios. Quest for Booty was a $15, Into the Nexus was a $40 game. Full Frontal Assault was $40 and if you bought it you got a copy on the Vita for free.

To my knowledge there really hasn’t been any DLC for the series… and the new game is going to be $40. Adjusted for inflation those original games were $66.

+ GM1980 on March 23rd, 2016 at 11:16 am said:

I’m excited for this game! Ratchet & Clank on PS4!! I do hope this will be a 4 player co-op game. Great family game!

+ SUKAMRA on March 23rd, 2016 at 11:49 am said:

So stoked for this game. Will it feature local co-op? Whether I buy it depends on this.

+ oo7PorscheMGS on March 23rd, 2016 at 12:49 pm said:

I bow down to you INSOMNIAC!!!! But not you Quark!!!!!!!!!! :P

+ Trendy_Kid on March 23rd, 2016 at 1:07 pm said:

Woooow, the gameplay segments look insanely polished!

+ ASDF5544 on March 23rd, 2016 at 1:26 pm said:

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ratchet & Clank on PS4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The Magneboots,The Omniwrench 8000,The Suck Cannon,The Grindboots,The Helipack,The Swingshot,The Helipack,The R.Y.N.O.,The Mine Glove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Luckegh on March 24th, 2016 at 7:41 pm said:

Seems like you’re pretty excited. I’d say I’m just as excited as you, but not crazy enough to post a reply like that XD.

+ TheHerbinator75 on March 23rd, 2016 at 2:32 pm said:

I can’t wait for the game and movie! I have been a huge fan of this series since the very first game on PS2.

+ NeoMahi on March 27th, 2016 at 11:51 pm said:

Sadly, I didn’t quite get it until PlayStation 3. Plays the Tools of Destruction demo on PS3 and BAM! Sold. Demos were really important at one time and then… Developers became afraid of them. They developed crappy games and wanted to sell them but, they knew when the demo went out, gamers would hate their crap they threw together just to make a quick buck. Sad times these days. Sony should be using PlayStation Now to stream demos of games. That’s how you increase your sales.

+ Xenojo on March 23rd, 2016 at 5:20 pm said:

I can’t wait to play this game and watch the movie. It will be epic =). By the way @playstation.blog what happened
To ps2ps4 games? You asked us what ps2ps4 games we want but not alot of ps2 game you put on playstation 4. =(

+ dkarlowicz10 on March 23rd, 2016 at 6:22 pm said:

Ratchet and Clank are my favorite game series of all time. I played Ratchet on PS2, PSP, PS3, PS Vita and now PS4. Thank you so much. Any chance of a Ratchet and Clank Ultimate Collection on PS4? Would also love to see Resistance Trilogy Remaster (without the multiplayer). Thank you, I look forward to playing Ratchet and Clank.

+ IcedDice777 on March 24th, 2016 at 3:01 am said:

Will preorder from Amazon :) i hope insomniac games continue to work with Sony and Reboot or Reimagine Resistance: Fall of Man on the PS4 ;)

+ FATHASUN on March 24th, 2016 at 3:42 am said:

A Game and Movie Bundle would be awesome. You guys should put up the Pre-Order for the Movie along with the Game so when it is released on BluRay it is shipped to us.

+ NeoMahi on March 27th, 2016 at 11:49 pm said:

Kinda agree with this guy.

+ MaDogNik96 on March 24th, 2016 at 7:16 am said:

I am going to see this in theaters when it comes out. It is possibly one of the first true good video game movies to come out. The games already feel like a Pixar movie, so if the film could capture that then the movie will be fine, in my opinion.

+ NinjaTurtleZomb2 on March 24th, 2016 at 12:46 pm said:

I Will Pre Order The New Sony PlayStation 4 1TB Uncharted 4 A Thief’s End Special Edition Console It Cost £329.99 In Amazon and you can Pre Oder it Now!!!

+ VinsanityV21 on March 24th, 2016 at 7:38 pm said:

Awesome stuff! Was always a bigger Jak and Sly fan than Ratchet, but all of Sony’s Platformer Heroes are fantastic and with little-to-no Platformers out there (major ones at least), I definitely want to support this! The movie looks fantastic as well; awesome job from Rainmaker! It’s definitely the best movie they’ve worked on yet, and probably the best thing since they changed their name from Mainframe (MAN, I loved Reboot, Beast Wars and War Planets!) to Rainmaker. I’m officially hyped for Ratchet & Clank :)

I do hope Sony brings us Sly 5 next year for that movie though.

And I’m ALWAYS hoping for Jak 5. AT THE VERY LEAST, the PS2 version of Jak & Daxter Lost Frontier (and Jak X) could hit the PS2 Classics, y’know? Jeez; I am tired of hearing people call for a Jak 4 when it came out in 2009 (2011 for the PS2 release?) – just let more people play Jak 4 already, Sony. Should never have been left off the HD Collection…

+ Luckegh on March 24th, 2016 at 7:39 pm said:

I’m a huge fan and player of R&C. I’ve completed 100% of every game except for secret agent clank (seeing as that was on PSP) I am more than hyped to pre-order the new version, and watch the movie too!

+ darklink415 on March 26th, 2016 at 1:31 am said:

You can actually get secret agent clank on ps2, that’s the only reason I’ve actually played it. I was really surprised when I found out, I originally thought it was psp only as well (but you aren’t really missing anything, it was probably the worst of all the games except for maybe FFA).

+ NeoMahi on March 27th, 2016 at 11:48 pm said:

Ya know, this is about the only way you’re going to see ‘Ratchet and Clank’ on Xbox is when the movie comes out on Blu-ray. POp that blu-ray in your Xbox One blu-ray drive (or if you’re still living in days past and have an Xbox 360 you can put the DVD in the DVD disc drive) and watch it on an Xbox console but, if you wanna play the game, still only on PlayStation.

(I still can’t figure why Insomniac wanted to leave Sony. The PS3 has a few hiccups and sales weren’t the greatest, so Insomniac leaves and then what, BOOM! They bet on Microsoft’s Xbox One with Sunset Overdrive and Sony’s PS4 explodes off store shelves. I gotta say, Insomniac Games has a really talented crew but, Ted Price definitely is not the smartest business man to walk the earth. Face it, your home is and always was on PlayStation since the days of Spyro.)

+ Welmosca on March 28th, 2016 at 10:05 am said:

You shouldn’t give all that credit to insomniac…they’re sellouts.Sony should give Ratchet to other devs and leave insomniac to their beloved microsoft ha it seems insomniac likes to do crappy games so thats their place.Ratchet would be better in the hands of people like Sanzaru who did an excellent job with Sly 4.

+ P3rsian_joker on March 28th, 2016 at 3:14 am said:

i cant wait for it :(

+ Welmosca on March 28th, 2016 at 9:57 am said:

Awesome trailer the game is insanely gorgeous it’ll be a blast to play it on ma screen.I’m excited for this Ratchet cuz I’m a Ratchet fan since the PS2 but unfortunately I’m not getting this one on release…still need to catch up with some Ratchet games and I won’t be buying this one until I can fully dedicate myself to it..

+ Thrill_Kill on March 30th, 2016 at 2:09 am said:

I am still LOVING the Remastered Ratchet and Clank 1-3 games on the PS3 in Stereoscopic 3D, along with All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault! Those are by FAR the best and most immersive R&C games ever made next to A Crack in Time!

I could tell that when Insomniac began to stop caring about the PlayStation 3 system, they began to create shorter and shorter experiences in the R&C games, and the last game in the series on the PS3 which I had such high hopes for was not even in Stereoscopic 3D, which really depressed me so much that I bought the game, and yet I never even played it, in hopes that a 3D patch would somehow come out for the game, or they would make a game of the year edition, and create an updated version that perhaps includes a fixed up version of Ratchet Deadlocked from all the horrible bugs it has, and give that game AND R&C Into the Nexus full Stereoscopic 3D Support, and it never happened.

+ Thrill_Kill on March 30th, 2016 at 2:16 am said:

So, since the 3D era is still in full swing, and there are still 3D movies coming out on BluRay and in Theatres monthly, 3DTV sets are selling fine, and some PS4 games use the 3D support, (like the Trine series, and Zombie Army Trilogy as fine examples), for those of us that love to actually have a FULL 3D depth of play field to our games, will this new R&C game (and movie) be in Stereoscopic 3D, or will it be flat as paper like Into the Nexus was?

I do hope that you show support for your fans, and show what the PS4 can really do when a developer knows how to make the system push the best looking graphics in 1080p and 3D. 3D support is missing the most this gen, and it so much shows it. Games like Uncharted Remaster, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3 really look last gen without the 3D support.

I hope that more devs take 3D seriously finally, because as far as the 3DTV sales go, they are selling much better, and I can now say that the majority of my friends that play games finally own 3DTV sets, and are totally loving the games in 3D that the PS3 has, and are wishing so much that the PS4 would do this more often as well, because NOTHING shows the depth of 3D like a game can!