God of War

May 25

May 25

Score Rush Extended Brings Pure Shmup Bliss to PS4 on May 31

Matthew Doucette's Avatar Posted by Game Producer, Xona Games

Greetings, PlayStation fans! I am Matthew Doucette of Xona Games, an indie game studio known for its intense retro games. We are proud to announce Score Rush Extended — the award-winning 4-player shmup — is launching on PS4 on May 31, 2016!

I co-founded Xona Games with my twin brother, Jason Doucette. We have coded games since we were seven years old; Xona Games emerged from our childhood passion. We had a vision of what 2D games could become: More sprites, more particles, and more intensity. Score Rush Extended was born from that idea.

Score Rush Extended is a widescreen bullet-hell dual-stick shmup — a 4-player overhead-scrolling 2D shooter filled with power-ups, enemies, and bosses. The PS4 version boasts updated gameplay and brand new artwork and features Dual Play (control 2 fighters as once) and Boss Rush modes.

The original Score Rush was an experimental game. Despite critical and commercial success, the game never felt complete. To that end, Score Rush Extended offers online scoreboards, unlockable Trophies, and even DualShock audio that helps distinguish events happening to you as opposed to your friends during a 4-player game.

Score Rush Extended

Our inspiration derives from games such as Raiden, Thunder Force, Gradius, and even Contra. I also love dual-stick shmups — I won the Geometry Wars 2 PAX East 2013 contest; however, the gameplay was not inspired by arena shooters, but rather by scrolling shooters. The dual-stick setup allows for maximum control and adds variety to the genre, a win-win situation.

Our goal was to make the most philosophically pure shoot ’em up — to truly test how skilled you are in a way no other shmup has. A key piece was redefining the scoring mechanic: removing all bonus points and measuring only domination itself. No gimmicks. No hidden points. No puzzles. To get the highest score, destroy everything as fast as possible. An example, does saving bombs or lives – something that normally awards bonus points — help destroy enemies? No. So, no points are awarded. Purity!

Score Rush ExtendedScore Rush Extended

Our philosophy is to empower the player. We built the most finely-tuned game we could. Its speed is optimized for maximum precision. We give you the best controls possible to let you dominate the screen. We also adopted a small 4×4 pixel hitbox and a slowdown button – mechanics born from Japanese bullet hells.

A few more features worth mentioning:

• 32 firing options – up to 256 with 8 fighters; lost upon death
  • 3 difficulty modes – Normal, Expert, and Godlike
  • Color-coded power-ups seek the weakest player
  • Hard-rocking Dragon Music soundtrack

Score Rush Extended feels like our first true release and it will define the future of Xona Games. I appreciate and thank everyone for reading about our work and efforts.

Add Your Own

Sir_Selah said:

May 25th, 8:04 am

This game is so good, can’t wait to play the updated version!

rcastudios said:

May 25th, 8:41 am

Very cool seeing a game developer from my small town on the PlayStation Blog! I’ve been waiting to try out this game for some time, glad it’s finally hitting PS4. :)

rcastudios said:

May 25th, 8:42 am

DARKO_506 said:

May 25th, 9:35 am

Great news. Looking forward to this!

Battllestarr said:

May 25th, 9:45 am

Awesome. Cannot wait to try this on PS4. The game is amazing and so addictive.

DaveVoyles said:

May 25th, 11:32 am

Loved the versions Xona did for Chrome (WebGL) and Xbox 30 some time ago. This one seems to have a ton of updates, and look at how much it can draw on screen at once and keep 60FPS! This thing is [Insert fire emoji] !

TheHerbinator75 said:

May 25th, 12:52 pm

The world needs more shmups!

Xonatron said:

May 26th, 6:09 am

Indeed! Well said! :)

sfbsfb said:

May 25th, 2:27 pm

Great news. This was one of my most-played games on X360 for quite a while.

Any word on revisiting the planned successor to this game, Duality ZF? I was looking forward to that, before it was placed on hold some years ago. Would be great if you resume efforts on that game, it sounded very promising.

Xonatron said:

May 26th, 6:08 am

I love this. Thank you for sharing. Nothing showcases the value of a title more than a gamer being honest about it like this. The future of our other titles, such as Duality ZF and the Decimation series, all depends on how the market accepts Score Rush Extended. Every launch is a risk. But more than that, I just hope there is a market for our style of games, so that we can continue to make them — and improve them. In a non-so-strange way, Score Rush Extended is a small piece of Duality ZF. It’s running on the same proprietary in-house engine and is a modification of two of Duality’s game modes, slapped together in an all-out intensified storm of enemies and power-ups. In a lot of ways, it’s a fast-forward of Duality. I still hope to release the “bigger” Duality at some point, but I learned long ago to not make release promises. I (really) appreciate your words and hopes for the future of Xona Games.

Thillhouse said:

May 25th, 4:09 pm

Saw that you guys were the developers of the Decimation series on a certain other console’s indie game service, which I enjoyed a great deal. Looking forward to this game.

Xonatron said:

May 26th, 6:03 am

Awesome that you know of our Decimation series. Our efforts are on the Score Rush series at the moment, and if it goes well — if the market enjoys our style of games — then it makes room to also bring our other series to the platform. Very glad you enjoyed our previous titles!

JinZer069 said:

May 25th, 6:23 pm

This looks great.
But I don’t have a PS4, but I do have a PS Vita… any plans for a Vita version.

NiD_80 said:

May 26th, 12:18 pm

I have play the prequel of Score Rush Extended and it was just amazing!!!Can’t wait for this release!!!

ultravioletblade said:

June 1st, 10:01 am

i wonder if this is coming out in the UK?

Xonatron said:

June 7th, 11:25 am

It should be in all English-speaking European countries now. IT, ES, FR, and DE are coming — maybe — on June 13th, 2016.

Xonatron said:

June 13th, 9:21 am

It has released in some non-English European countries today.