Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

Jun 13

27378946630_ab21fdc7de_z

Days Gone: Bend Studio’s New Open-World PS4 Adventure

27378946630_ab21fdc7de_z

John Garvin's Avatar Posted by on Jun 13, 2016 // Creative Director, Bend Studios

It’s been a little over four years since we released Uncharted: Golden Abyss for PS Vita and you may be wondering what Bend Studio’s been up to. Well, it’s finally time to share what we’ve been working on. Today during the PlayStation E3 2016 Press Conference we debuted our brand new original franchise, Days Gone. The PlayStation team, as well as the press conference production crew at the Shrine Auditorium, gave us the perfect venue to showcase some of the hard work we’ve been putting into the game’s characters, story, open-world environments, Drifter bike and dangerous encounters. The team is very excited about the reactions we’ve seen so far and we’re looking forward to a very busy E3.

If you missed the announce trailer, watch it here:

Set in the beautiful, volcanic scarred high-desert of the Pacific Northwest, Days Gone is an open-world action-adventure game where you play as Deacon St. John, a Drifter and bounty hunter who would rather risk the dangers of the broken road than live in one of the “safe” wilderness encampments. The game takes place two years after a global pandemic has killed almost everyone, but transformed millions of others into what survivors call Freakers – mindless, feral creatures, more animal than human but very much alive and quickly evolving. In the demo you saw two types of Freaks – Newts, which were adolescents when infected, are opportunistic hunters, preferring to hit and run from the shadows; and a Horde. Made up of hundreds of individual Freakers, Hordes eat, move and attack together, almost as one. Some Hordes roam the highways at night, while others, like the one in the demo, have found a food source that keeps it in a single location. Skills learned in his prior life as an outlaw biker have given Deacon a slight edge in the seemingly never-ending fight to stay alive. But will it be enough?

This is a brutal world, where everyone and everything is struggling to survive – but hopefully, the trailer shows that the game is about more than that. It’s about desperation, hope, transformation, loss, madness, discovery, friendship, exploration, brotherhood, regret and love. In the end, Days Gone is about what makes us human. It’s about how even when confronted with such enormous tragedy, we find a reason to live. Hope never dies.

If you are at E3 stop by the PlayStation booth to get a look at our extended gameplay demo, where in addition to showing off Deacon’s encounter with the Horde, we offer a glimpse of our brutal sandbox combat: crafting, traps and alternate paths, which only scratches the surface of how the demo can be played in multiple ways. For those of you who can’t make it to E3, don’t worry: in the next couple of days we’ll be uploading our gameplay video, so be sure and keep an eye out for that. We’ll be talking more about the world of Days Gone in the coming months, so hang on tight and get ready to ride the broken road. Just like Deacon, our ride is only beginning.

60 Comments

+ Grognard66 on June 13th, 2016 at 7:02 pm said:

Would be nice to get some release dates on these.

+ AizawaYuuichi on June 13th, 2016 at 8:45 pm said:

Yes, give us release dates. So we can be disappointed when they get delayed a few weeks, because they weren’t ready to have release dates yet.

+ Cubanboy_31 on June 14th, 2016 at 5:54 am said:

More like a time frame would be ok with me, maybe Q2 2017 :-)

+ Landenboiii12349 on June 15th, 2016 at 1:50 pm said:

Does this game have any multiplayer or any rumors going around saying so?

+ Cherrywood on June 16th, 2016 at 8:59 am said:

I’d imagine that they’re planning on this being their Fall of 2017 game. That or God of War. Maybe one in the Summer and one in the Fall. Count on it being at least a year. Probably 12 to 16 months.

+ Hakumen__ on June 13th, 2016 at 7:10 pm said:

Where are the PS Vita games???

+ WeAreNerdly on June 14th, 2016 at 1:26 am said:

Well… they had to find corpses somewhere, right?

+ Seluhir on June 14th, 2016 at 8:33 am said:

We have a bit of a blog romance going on right now. In prettymuch every thread there’s a comment from Hakumen asking a similar question, followed by an attempt to be clever by WeAreNerdly… your relationship is blossoming well. All we need now is that climactic moment where tragedy strikes one of you and the other realizes that the love has been there all along and then makes a heroic rescue.

I hope you two have a happy future together.

+ jvasq on June 13th, 2016 at 7:17 pm said:

awesome demo. Looks really good

+ paulogy on June 13th, 2016 at 7:33 pm said:

Breathtaking demo, guys. The odds seem insurmountable, but perhaps within the area attacks and other special weapons (and speed of bikes) is salvation. Really looking forward to seeing more :-)

+ Just_Slik on June 13th, 2016 at 8:05 pm said:

If this game also has co-op I would be even more happy.

+ Fluffy_McZipps on June 14th, 2016 at 7:09 pm said:

Dude,i so hope you’re right but until we hear more i will remain doubtful…If people don’t like co-op in these kinds of games then i understand,but just don’t play it.If it doesn’t hurt the single player development then i see no harm in it…My brother and I are zombie enthusiasts,so this would be a blast to play together

+ Bastrd11 on June 13th, 2016 at 8:21 pm said:

Super pumped.. finally a zombie game that looks more my style. But I didn’t see a shoulder swap in that whole playthrough.. surely you aren’t making a 3rd person shooter in 2016 without shoulder swapping? If somehow you overlooked that one I implore you to fix it before release.

+ T-BONE11XDP on June 13th, 2016 at 8:29 pm said:

Multiplayer or pvp?

+ erichudson2345 on July 8th, 2016 at 8:32 am said:

PVP will get the party going lol and making gangs will be cool too

+ Ninja_Monkey28 on June 13th, 2016 at 8:35 pm said:

This game looks AWESOME! Looks and feels a lot like TLOU which I am excited to hear about the story behind the game. Can’t wait to hear a release date and hope to see a DEMO on PSN Store!! :D

+ fear_sum_ on June 13th, 2016 at 8:37 pm said:

Sony Bend FTW

+ BathoryBlaze on June 13th, 2016 at 8:40 pm said:

I loved Syphon Filter back in the day. And Golden Abyss was incredible on Vita. This looks awesome. I’m really excited to see this studio making a game like this.

+ fear_sum_ on June 13th, 2016 at 8:44 pm said:

“…Set in the beautiful, volcanic scarred high-desert of the Pacific Northwest”
“…This is a brutal world, where everyone and everything is struggling to survive”

Sounds like Bend/High Desert already- present day… just no Zombies (yet).
Was wondering how much tougher it could get here, now I know!

+ Astroking112 on June 13th, 2016 at 8:45 pm said:

No offense, but this feels like it’s a generation too late. So many games have already cashed in on the zombie apocalypse that it’ll take a pretty amazing game to make me interested again (Such as The Last of Us).

I would’ve much rather preferred that Bend worked on that Uncharted: Golden Abyss follow-up (Or any of the other Vita projects they proposed), but I was still definitely more excited for the PS4 outing before seeing this, sadly.

+ Jisatsu_Kiddo on June 14th, 2016 at 5:30 am said:

last of us wasn’t zombies. so you still have time according to your “cashed” theory.

+ PanTheMan16 on June 15th, 2016 at 2:16 am said:

TLoU most certainly was zombies. It was just a different spin on the genre.

+ joejohnPSN on June 13th, 2016 at 9:19 pm said:

I thought the demo for this game looked awesome. Great job, Bend.

+ Sarges24 on June 13th, 2016 at 9:33 pm said:

The Last of Us? The Last of Us? What, Days Gone!? Looks great & reminded to so much of Last of Us w/o the Clickers. I hope the gameplay and story are rock solid because this looks like an incredibly interesting and fun title.

+ clownprince26 on June 13th, 2016 at 10:20 pm said:

Sam is the main character which made this an auto-buy for me. It looks great! I can’t wait!

+ Enigma777 on June 13th, 2016 at 10:41 pm said:

At first I was like “Meh, another zombie game!” but a playing as a bounty hunter in a post-apocalyptic world actually sounds kinda cool. Plus Sony Bend always does good work so I’m cautiously optimistic.

+ SavoyPrime on June 14th, 2016 at 8:01 am said:

I would have been cool with just the bounty hunter part minus the zombies. Zombies have seriously gone past its date of expiration.

+ Orayu- on June 14th, 2016 at 12:50 am said:

Was excited about it, until I found out its another zombie game.

+ HKjscott on June 14th, 2016 at 9:41 am said:

Sigh another zombie game? what good zombie games has there been this gen ? Dead rising no. Dying light no. Exactly there hasn’t been any good zombie games on the PS4 plus with the tech you can get way more zombies on screens now this is going to be a great game and people need to get over this Zombie thing don’t buy it then. There really hasn’t been a good serious zombie game in the long time. Most of them really stupid and goofy. Walking dead is more I’m an interactive movie. People say there’s a lot of zombie games but there’s not.

+ WingerNu1 on June 17th, 2016 at 4:03 pm said:

@HKJscott Dying Light was fantastic. Dead Rising has always been solid. Still, as stated, the zombie genre is definitely not as oversaturated as some contrarians would like to believe.

+ Amnalehu on June 14th, 2016 at 12:54 am said:

One of the best looking new IP’s i’ve seen at E3 so far.I was feeling the tension just watching the demo! Well done Sony Bend!

+ Welmosca on June 14th, 2016 at 1:24 am said:

Really thought this was something about TLoU until the characters showed up.Liked the gameplay but the main character looks bad…and although it doesn’t even have a release date yet I must say the shooting needs some rework,it looked clunky.Aside from that great announcement,thats how you announce a game,a nice trailer and a nice gameplay.Syphon Filter was ma favorite game back in the day and I loved Golden Abyss which is one of the best Vita games ever so definitely putting ma trust in you guys and looking forward to Days Gone.

+ BASSMEANT on June 14th, 2016 at 7:37 am said:

online multiplayer or no go. been begging for a world war z level horde like this. what a waste if it’s sp only or watered down for online play. 7 days to die was looking good… until it came out that it’s only 4 people per server. games are going in the wrong direction… more online multiplayer, not less. put this single player paradigm to bed. it’s 2 gens ago.

+ Seluhir on June 14th, 2016 at 8:36 am said:

Bassmeant… there’s room in the gaming world for both. Not every game needs to be multiplayer, and not every game needs to be single player.

+ AncLEoniX on June 14th, 2016 at 5:37 pm said:

And look how good the MP only games are doing. Evolve is dead, is 10 months Battlefront will be dead. R6 Siege is almost to extinction. I could see coop campaign for this but not MP. Don’t ask devs to destroy a amazing game, because you want MP. It’s one of the dumbest things I’ve heard. If you don’t enjoy SP along with MP games then your not a true gamer. There’s room for everything in gaming these days. I mean before the show they even showed us a ballet game called Bounce.

+ Fluffy_McZipps on June 14th, 2016 at 7:13 pm said:

Don’ tell him he’s not a “true gamer” because he doesn’t like MP only games..that’s nonsense.I share his enthusiasm for at least a co-op in this game,if it doesn’t hurt the single player development then what do you care?You can’t tell me it wouldn’t be fun to play this with another zombie enthusiast buddy

+ luvtoseek on June 15th, 2016 at 5:33 pm said:

“put this single player paradigm to bed.”

What? Haha, the day SP content dies so does gaming.

+ luvtoseek on June 15th, 2016 at 5:36 pm said:

@fluffy: well, BASS doesn’t want any single-player titles at all.

+ SavoyPrime on June 14th, 2016 at 7:59 am said:

So zombies…again… *sigh*

+ DarthSidious75 on June 14th, 2016 at 7:59 am said:

Looks interesting. Is that Sam Witwer doing the voice and character model?

+ TERMINATOR543 on June 14th, 2016 at 8:36 am said:

Been waiting to see what you guys were up to for years!! So stoked for this, hoping to hear more details soon!

+ Rezznak on June 14th, 2016 at 9:10 am said:

This and God of War were the highlight of the show for me. As soon as I saw the Bend Studio logo at the beginning I stood up in my theater and said #### YEAH!

+ shinhito on June 14th, 2016 at 12:32 pm said:

Oh god. Yet another zombie-related piece of media? Yawn.

+ liebn0r on June 14th, 2016 at 2:19 pm said:

I mean it’s basically The Last Of Us: Fury Road

+ saab01 on June 14th, 2016 at 2:21 pm said:

Interesting game reminds me of the last of us.

+ AncLEoniX on June 14th, 2016 at 5:30 pm said:

This game looks amazing. When it first came on it looked so much like TLoU. Then later they showed gameplay and it was breath taking. Can’t wait to hear more and hopefully a release window. Good luck to the team and can’t wait to play the finished product.

+ AncLEoniX on June 14th, 2016 at 5:31 pm said:

Can we? So glad to hear I can sit on my ass and make that much. Seems so legit guys!!

Na really get that outta here!!
Good day!

+ Rafi7234 on June 14th, 2016 at 5:51 pm said:

Is there any talk of bringing Golden Abyss to PS4? I was sad to see it left out of the Nathan Drake collection. Also the Eye of Indra comic. Would have been nice for the fans….

+ Rafi7234 on June 14th, 2016 at 5:56 pm said:

Looks beautiful, and I love the facial expressions in the characters. I hope that we see a unique story develop in the next trailer… this seems a bit too familiar so far.

+ draven_ev on June 14th, 2016 at 7:13 pm said:

Really hoping for a console Day-Z type game. I hope this has a multiplayer survival element as well as the single player game mode.

+ PanTheMan16 on June 15th, 2016 at 2:21 am said:

Looked great until I had to watch what felt like 5 straight minutes of mindless shooting into a hoard which was obviously designed to die down at pre-designated spot.
A bit too old-school there, since we’ve seen how a single zombie in a room can be terrifying. This was more like Dead Rising.

Still, I do look forward to seeing more, in hopes that this isn’t an accurate representation of how the majority of the game will play.

+ PaulKylymnyk on June 15th, 2016 at 4:18 am said:

Sony’s E3 was amazing! Can’t wait to see more of Days Gone!

+ manofXtreme on June 15th, 2016 at 12:16 pm said:

Why no online multiplayer? This game has two extremely big potentials: The dangerous hordes and the humans. The freakers are bots, that’s totally fine. But the humans must be real players. If you meet another human somewhere in the open map, you have to decide whether to kill him, trust him, deal with him, etc. and the other player has to do the same. So since when can bots trust other people? How can you be friends with a bot? Or since when can bots deal with other people? The humans must be real players. It would just be way more interesting to play. Without an online multiplayer mode, this game simply can’t reach its full potential. That’s a fact. Especially since this game looks so amazing, it’s a real pity. Still a big fan of you guys.

+ Alsborg91 on June 15th, 2016 at 1:49 pm said:

Please Sony Bend, we need Cordycheps Skins for the Infects. Please! We need that you talk with ND

+ OmegaSouth on June 16th, 2016 at 4:32 am said:

Ive seen almost every zombie movie, played almost every zombie game, im a zombie finatic, this looks like the 1 ive been dreaming about, from what ive seen this will be the best one ever/Yet!!! im tooooo hype!!!

+ xThe_Dread_Wolfx on June 16th, 2016 at 12:13 pm said:

This game looks amazing, but there was one glaring issue with the demo. The main character had no sights on his rifle. No body can hit anything looking down a blank picatinny rail. Give the guns some sights, or an optic.

+ JohebVenesa on June 20th, 2016 at 11:49 am said:

I will get it for sure !!

+ kdacz5 on June 24th, 2016 at 10:17 am said:

I’m excited for a zombie apocalypse game as much as the next person but if they do add a online feature I just hope they don’t pull a last of us multiplayer now I loved the last of us multiplayer it was awesome but I felt like they didn’t go to all the branches with the game modes like a survival infected mode ect. It’s just my opinion they probably won’t do that to be honest

+ redwell9653 on July 13th, 2016 at 1:53 am said: