Overwatch

Aug 03

Vibrant Puzzler Hue Coming Soon to PS4, PS Vita

Henry Hoffman's Avatar Posted by on Aug 03, 2016 // Creative Director, Fiddlesticks

Hi everyone, my name’s Henry and I’m the creative mind behind Hue, a vibrant puzzle-platformer where you alter the world by changing its background color. The concept sounds simple, but since we started work on it in 2014, we’ve created a colorful world full of mind-bending puzzles, memorable characters, and heartfelt stories.

You play as the titular Hue, exploring a dangerous grey land, unearthing colored fragments on a journey to find his missing mother. These fragments allow him to manipulate color, creating many gameplay and puzzle-solving opportunities. We’re going to show you a few of these now.

On your adventure, the colored fragments you find will appear on a mysterious wheel. Selecting a color with the right analog stick will change the background color. Then, when obstacles match the background, they disappear — letting you pass through!

As the colors increase, so too do the types of puzzles. Soon you’ll be making all sorts of things appear and disappear. Crates, crumbling rocks, balloons, moving platforms, boulders, and many more items will help or hinder your progress. Remember — you’re one color away from certain death, so solve these puzzles carefully!

It’s not all puzzle-solving in Hue, though. Danger lurks around every corner, and you’ll find yourself quickly switching between colors in a desperate bid to avert danger. Whether it’s being impaled, drowned, crushed, or lasered, you’ll need to use your full spectrum of colors to escape the cold grasp of death.

Hue’s not the only one with the power to change color. You’ll quickly find yourself bouncing off color blocks, or drenching objects in colored slime. Just when you thought you were changing the world, you’ll find the world starts changing itself.

This can be a blessing or a curse — things change very quickly in the world of Hue and you’ll need to stay on your toes. Even when you’re drenched in colored slime and darting between colored boulders. Quick reflexes are essential to escaping unscathed!

After showcasing the game around the world, we soon discovered that some players struggled more than most — and not because of their gaming abilities. Up to 10% of people suffer from color blindness, and for them, telling colors apart could prove very challenging. After much research, testing, and seeking advice from color-blind communities, we devised a simple symbol system which we hope will make the game accessible to all. We really want as many people as possible to enjoy Hue.

Hue is coming soon to PS4 and PS Vita. We really hope you enjoyed this small snapshot into the world of Hue, and that you’ll join us in the colorful adventure to come.

All the best,
Henry and the Fiddlesticks team

+ dontknowsoldier on August 3rd, 2016 at 7:04 am said:

This looks awesome! Thanks for bringing it to Vita. Will be a Day 1 purchase for me.

+ Henry Hoffman on August 4th, 2016 at 5:03 am said:

Thanks! I really appreciate it!

+ BigMesy on August 3rd, 2016 at 7:32 am said:

Looking forward to the game Henry. Looks like a perfect fit for Vita.
Do you have a release window for the game. Is the game cross buy and will both versions release on the same day?

+ Henry Hoffman on August 4th, 2016 at 5:02 am said:

Thanks very much for the kind words. I think we’re currently aiming at late August for a PS4 release and Vita shortly afterwards. I’m really keen to not keep Vita fans waiting, as they’ve been great to us so far!

+ FlashyAndy on August 3rd, 2016 at 8:09 am said:

Adding symbols for the colorblind is fantastic. Thank you! Until I saw that, I bought the game was interesting but that I was probably not going to be able to play it. Now I can give it a shot!

+ Henry Hoffman on August 4th, 2016 at 5:07 am said:

That’s great to hear! Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it!

+ slowpulses on August 3rd, 2016 at 8:18 am said:

A wonderful idea being brought charmingly to life — on my Vita, no less! Thanks, and good luck on whatever development remains, Henry!

+ Henry Hoffman on August 4th, 2016 at 5:08 am said:

Thanks :)

+ deadendblues on August 3rd, 2016 at 8:55 am said:

The game looks amazing! Day one buy for me esp. Vita

+ Henry Hoffman on August 4th, 2016 at 5:09 am said:

Great, thanks!

+ RetroDaddySlim on August 3rd, 2016 at 9:04 am said:

Isnt there a single developer announcing new game in last few years that would keep their word and release games for systems originaly announced?
Curve Digital announce it way back in 2014 coming on PS4/PS3/Vita in early 2016.

What happend to PS3 version?

+ Henry Hoffman on August 4th, 2016 at 5:14 am said:

Sorry about that. I’ve done all the porting myself (as well as building the game) so had to be a bit realistic as to how much I could achieve. If there’s a demand for it, I’ll look into it after our PS4 release though. Thanks for checking it out.

+ ZanFear on August 3rd, 2016 at 11:27 am said:

Omg, looks beautiful for Vita!! Can’t wait! I know some other games like Call of Duty or Uncharted 4 had their own colour blind options, but using symbols is very cool.

+ Henry Hoffman on August 4th, 2016 at 5:14 am said:

Great, thanks!

+ KyleSpade on August 3rd, 2016 at 6:17 pm said:

Totally remarkable. This one’s gonna be in my collection!

+ Henry Hoffman on August 4th, 2016 at 5:15 am said:

Really happy to hear that!

+ ArrasaMonkey on August 3rd, 2016 at 7:08 pm said:

Brazil intensifies

+ Henry Hoffman on August 4th, 2016 at 5:10 am said:

Haha, so many people have said this to me, but I still have no idea what it means.

+ deutschZuid on August 3rd, 2016 at 8:41 pm said:

Just wanted to say thanks for supporting the Vita. Would definitely buy this game when it’s out.

+ Henry Hoffman on August 4th, 2016 at 5:15 am said:

Brilliant, thanks very much!

+ AngryChicken82 on August 3rd, 2016 at 8:47 pm said:

Played this early in a convention, definitely a must-buy!

+ Henry Hoffman on August 4th, 2016 at 5:11 am said:

Nice, which one? We’ll be at GamesCom and Insomnia this month, so say hi if you’re there!

+ VinsanityV21 on August 3rd, 2016 at 10:22 pm said:

The Key Art for this (on the front page of the PS Blog) looks like Adventure Time/Bravest Warriors art – glad it got me to click! I’m definitely a fan of puzzle platformers so I’ll give this a look when it comes out, for sure!

+ Henry Hoffman on August 4th, 2016 at 5:12 am said:

Yeah we love those shows! Pleased to hear it! Thanks!

+ HussamFelimban on August 6th, 2016 at 4:39 am said:

Game looks great! Will the Vita version be compatible with the PSTV?

+ Henry Hoffman on August 8th, 2016 at 5:44 am said:

Thanks! It will indeed!

+ Skjerping on August 7th, 2016 at 3:07 pm said:

Looks awesome! What would be even more awesome would be if there was support for Phillips Hue! Imagine your living room being lit up as the same colors as in the game! Just an idea, will buy anyways.

+ Henry Hoffman on August 8th, 2016 at 5:44 am said:

I have the kit, and I’m working on integration. Would love to get it out soon in an update!

+ wardragon989 on August 7th, 2016 at 3:08 pm said:

I’m glad this game is coming to the PlayStation system. I played this at EGX (UK event) last year and I have to say, having a simplistic idea of different colours mixed with puzzles is amazing. So congratulations :)

Its a definite purchase for me :) Thanks for bring it to the PS systems so I could purchase it :)

+ Henry Hoffman on August 8th, 2016 at 5:45 am said:

Great! Pleased you enjoyed it at EGX, we had a bunch of fun showing it there.

+ Juand182 on August 8th, 2016 at 10:17 pm said:

I have been excited about this game since I first saw it on the Kinda Funny YouTube channel, I don’t think you answer this but will the game be cross-buy? i will get it on both consoles either way but I was just wondering