Farpoint

Oct 19

Oct 19

Amnesia: Collection Coming to PS4

Thomas Grip's Avatar Posted by Creative Director, Frictional Games

It was June 2009 and we were running out of money. We’d spent nearly two years making a game called Lux Tenebras. Our idea was to make a Super Mario version of a horror game; something that could be enjoyed in bite-sized chunks, was replayable, and mostly relied on easily repeatable gameplay mechanics.

The problem was, this game wasn’t working out. Despite a lot of time and effort, it never really clicked. A publishing deal had recently evaporated, leaving our funds basically drained. We had at most a month left in our budget, and while we had a lot of assets, we didn’t have a working game. It felt like the company was on the verge of going bankrupt, and I recall starting on my CV.

Then we had a lucky break. Our older games — the Penumbra series — went on sale, and against all expectations we got an injection of cash. We worked out that if everyone cut their salaries in half, we could go on for another 12 months — enough time to finish a game. The trouble was that our work-in-progress game just wasn’t very good. But the recent sale had almost doubled our fan base, and everyone praised the horror aspects of our past titles. It seemed that we knew how to scare people — and more importantly, it was something people wanted more of. Our goal became to make the most frightening game we possibly could.

Now we had a clear aim: to scare the player senseless. We took the assets, gameplay, and story we already had and scrapped everything that didn’t help us achieve that goal. Using all we learned from our previous games, we tried to come up with the most terror-filled design imaginable. For example, we emphasized vulnerability by removing the ability to fight back, and we gave the protagonist a phobia of the most common aspect of the game: darkness. We did our utmost to place the player in a hostile and oppressive world.

Just over a year later, Amnesia: The Dark Descent was ready to be unleashed upon the world.

We had a pretty good reception right from the start, many calling it one of the scariest games ever. Things didn’t stop there, though. Thanks to word of mouth, and the timely expansion of the community of Let’s Players, the buzz around the game just kept growing. For a couple of months, we saw something Amnesia-related on the front page of Reddit just about every week. The amount of attention we got was truly astounding, and really gratifying for a small company.

However, we never brought Amnesia to consoles. Over the years, we’ve been close to making it happen, but deals either fell through or we simply didn’t have time for it. It’s time to change that. Amnesia is coming to PS4.

And we won’t just be releasing Amnesia: The Dark Descent alone. We’ll be including two other games in the package as well.

One of them is Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs, which was developed by The Chinese Room (Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture). We asked The Chinese Room to make this game because we loved the stuff they’d done in the past (especially an obscure horror game called Korsakovia) and were curious to see what they’d do with the Amnesia universe.

Our initial expectation was just a short one or two hour game, but their ambitions went far beyond that, and in the end it turned into a full-featured release. The result is something that takes a slightly different direction from the first game, putting the themes of human evil from The Dark Descent into a global perspective with very disturbing results. We’re very proud to have it in the collection.

The third game is a lesser known Amnesia title called Amnesia: Justine. This game was made as part of a promotion for Valve’s Portal 2, where we — together with a bunch of other indie developers — took part in an Alternative Reality Game. We decided to use this as an excuse to do something different and went all-in on making a whole new story in the Amnesia universe. Justine is a shorter game, taking the form of a series of trials and is heavily inspired by films such as Saw and the historical persona of Elisabeth Báthory.

Together, all three games should provide a wide range of horrors for all PS4 players to face, and I hope it’ll produce many pleasant nightmares and sleepless nights upon release!

Add Your Own

clupula668 said:

October 19th, 6:06 am

I can’t express how excited I am for this! Thank you! As a console-only gamer, this is a definite day-one purchase.

Alias03 said:

October 19th, 6:07 am

Retail I hope?? Or is this digital only? :(

Thomas Grip's Avatar

Thomas Grip said:

October 19th, 9:45 pm

Digital only first. Might look into retail if demand seems high enough. But that will not be until next year. Retail comes with a lot of extra work so just didn’t have time for it. :/

TrueAssassin86x said:

October 19th, 6:09 am

Omg i just filled buckets….. Does this mean theres a new amnesia coming soon ;) i cant wait.

gundamcero said:

October 19th, 6:13 am

Wish it was ready for Halloween

Xer0Signal said:

October 19th, 6:14 am

I can’t wait to replay these on PS4. A couple questions if you’re open to them:

1) Is there any way of getting custom stories on this version as well? Not an easy task I’m sure, but, just curious.

2) Any plans for PSVR support? I don’t know why I’m asking because I genuinely don’t think I’d survive that, but, still…

Thomas Grip's Avatar

Thomas Grip said:

October 19th, 9:48 pm

1) Afraid no custom story support. Would love that, but comes with lots of complications.

2) While we love the idea of traumatizing people for life, there is no plans to add VR support for Amnesia. However, we have a bunch of ideas for other VR tailored horror experiences. Will just see if we have time for it all.

nathanuc1988 said:

October 19th, 6:16 am

Wow, awesome! I really enjoyed reading your story, but not as much as I enjoyed playing Penumbra: Black Plague. It’s one of the most memorable experiences I’ve had in any game. I haven’t gotten around to finishing Amnesia since I moved away from PC gaming around the time it came out, so I’m super pumped!

HorrorGod said:

October 19th, 6:20 am

Stoked for this!
I too am hoping for a physical release. Please, for us “collectors.” :)

MisterAxle said:

October 19th, 6:48 am

I also loved Amnesia, but I will only buy this collection if it’s available on disc.

Sonicfan11589 said:

October 19th, 6:29 am

I am interested in this. It’s weird I like horror games but not horror movies, and horror games you have to pay attention and not coward with your hands in front of your eyes. How is this series?

Sonicfan11589 said:

October 19th, 6:30 am

Also will the graphics be improved a bit? I saw the trailer on youtube and it looked a bit dated.

Thomas Grip's Avatar

Thomas Grip said:

October 19th, 9:51 pm

It is basically the same game as the original release. Only change is some menu updates and trophies (Amnesia never had any sort of achievements before)

veryhoudini11 said:

October 19th, 5:31 pm

I doubt it but basically thats not important. The game looks amazing for being a 3D game devolped by a few people, 6 years ago. if graphics were an important factor on weather a game is worth playing than minecraft, hotline miami, doom, super mario bros.. ect ect wouldn’t be worth playing and people wouldnt still be asking for crash bandicoot to be re-released. But as we all know, none of the latter is true. Gameplay > graphics

TimboJames said:

October 19th, 6:42 am

Must say I am looking forward to this and really liked the backstory here. Glad ya’ll were able to pull through and make one of the most popular PC games ever. I agree this would be even crazier with VR support and a nice collectors edition box. Prob would be the first retail box I purchase for PS4 :)

VeritableHero said:

October 19th, 6:43 am

I’ve been a fan since I played Penumbra: Overture scared me almost 10 years ago. Congrats on bringing some of your games to console!

VeritableHero said:

October 19th, 6:52 am

Edit:
    I’ve been a fan since Penumbra: Overture scared me almost 10 years ago. Congrats on bringing some of your games to console!

gor1llap1mp said:

October 19th, 7:56 am

What time were living in!? First news that System Shock is coming to PS4 now Amsesia!? I thought about souping up my computer just to play these PC exclusives now that is ALMOST no longer necessary. Medal Of Honor Allied Assault, im looking at you!

Thomas Grip's Avatar

Thomas Grip said:

October 19th, 9:56 pm

Gotta say it is quite an honor that you mention us along with System Shock. :) Amazing game and huge inspiration for our work!

SureBigBuster said:

October 19th, 7:58 am

Man these games are awesome and I’m deff replaying them on PS4 but….couldn’t they come up with a better trailer video?? That was cringeworthy to say the least geez…

MyNameIsAhj said:

October 19th, 8:02 am

YESSSSSS! I’ve wanted to play this for so long! I was honestly praying for this after Soma released

medenko1975 said:

October 19th, 8:29 am

i hope they’re good?

Aoi_Erio said:

October 19th, 8:43 am

Will there be PSVR support when the game comes out or will that be future plans for the game?

DuoMaxwell007 said:

October 19th, 9:29 am

that video was supposed to show how scary the game is but instead it just shows how bad the ppl playing it are. Ive never acted like that playing a game. Jump scares, sure those get me all the time. I jump then after that initial reaction I either kill what made me jump or if killing isnt an option. I just run, But Im not screaming or acting like a 3 year old whos never played a video game before. I could 100% understand someone having that reaction in VR because at least that feels real, with the immersion you get from actually being able to look around he whole room (as the kitchen demo shows), but on a game youre playing on a monitor/tv with zero immersion? No. I can understand ppl that close/cover their eyes in a scary movie during screens of intense gore, because some ppls stomach cant handle that. But actually screaming? No.

whereymyconary said:

October 19th, 9:56 am

So, will it have the picture frame boards around it on the PS4 version and can it be turned off? I have a plasma tv… really don’t want a picture frame burn in… but excite none the less… if i can play it.

Thomas Grip's Avatar

Thomas Grip said:

October 19th, 9:59 pm

That is just for the trailer because the old footage was so bad quality and we wanted to emphasize it was not our own recordings.

Sorry to not be more clear about this! The game will cover the entire screen and look just like the PC version.

CHOMPlSON said:

October 19th, 11:56 am

Same question.

Finozzi1696 said:

October 19th, 1:15 pm

Nah that was just made for the trailer, for some reason. The final game won’t have that frame board.

MisterJumpMan said:

October 19th, 10:31 am

Awesome! Being primarily a console gamer, I never had the chance to play any of these games, though they were on my radar! Any plans for PSVR and/or PS4 Pro support?

EverythingOnFire said:

October 19th, 12:53 pm

It’s a real bummer that we’re not getting a physical version of this. One of the only reasons I even bother with consoles anymore is that I prefer physical media. I enjoy collecting, and I like to actually OWN my games. Oh well, first world problems….

Finozzi1696 said:

October 19th, 1:28 pm

They probably will make one at a later date if it sells well digitally. Also you only bother with consoles ’cause of physical releases? that’s silly if you ask me :/ I “bother with consoles” because I can’t stand upgrading my pc every time just to make newer games run properly and keep checking system requirements to see if a game will run fine on my pc. Also I prefer to have all this awesome high-budget AAA exclusives on consoles (uncharted 4, bloodborne, until dawn, the last guardian, detroit become human, horizon, nioh, etc…) rather than having indie low-budget stuff on pc (simulator games, fnaf -its getting a console remake though-, undertale, etc…)

EverythingOnFire said:

October 19th, 2:27 pm

I didn’t say that physical media is the “only” reason I bother with consoles. I said it was “one” of the only reasons. The Playstation exclusives are definitely nice. Naughty Dog is my favorite developer, and I couldn’t imagine not being able to play their titles. Same thing goes for Insomniac and Guerilla.

” I can’t stand upgrading my pc every time just to make newer games run properly”

I’ve been using the same i5-4460 and GTX 760 for over 2 years now, and I’ve never had trouble getting any game to play smoothly at 60fps. I’m sure my gaming PC will hold-up for at least a few more years too (especially it’s i5). Having to constantly upgrade a gaming PC is just a myth. Sure, lots of people do it every couple years, but most of em are diehard enthusiasts that need to constantly have the best of the best. The majority of PC gamers stick with the same build for years and years.

destrada17 said:

October 19th, 1:32 pm

How much will this cost?

Thomas Grip's Avatar

Thomas Grip said:

October 19th, 10:00 pm

29.99 dollars, and discount for PS+ member first couple weeks after release.

bigmansavagedan said:

October 19th, 6:29 pm

Awesome!!! This is a game I own on PC but never finished mainly because my PC sucks haha. It was pretty dang creepy though. I remember many occasions where I was just almost too afraid to turn around lol. Best played in the dark with headphones on;) my only questions are will there be a physical release, and will it run at 60fps? Thanks guys, can’t wait to try this one(again)

Thomas Grip's Avatar

Thomas Grip said:

October 19th, 10:02 pm

Justine and TDD will run at 60 fps. A Machine For Pigs might be 30 fps, because of some engine issues. Our porting team is working hard at trying to fix this though so might be 60 on release.

medenko1975 said:

October 19th, 11:32 pm

Please make it retail too….i prefer retail with case and media.

Will it have platinum trophies?

Ziomano said:

October 20th, 2:33 am

Is there a vague release date for the Collection?

IcedDice777 said:

October 20th, 8:20 am

Will pick it up on retail or wait for a flash/+ sale… Whichever happens first.

My. 02

Lilyoshi996 said:

October 20th, 10:41 am

Do you guys have an idea on the cost?

Ralstonizer said:

October 20th, 11:25 am

I will gladly buy these again if it will help you be able to make more new games. I don’t know how you guys are going to top Soma though.

binarydivision said:

October 20th, 12:24 pm

Awesome!!! I hope Sony continues to see the value in bringing indie games to their systems. I love them.

Doctor_Hank_Pym said:

October 20th, 3:49 pm

Day 1 purchase!!! (question: when IS day1? The post doesn’t mention a release date!) I’ve been wanting to play A:TDD for years, despite Conan O’Brien’s cheeky one-word review of it.

LiveForTheWubs said:

October 23rd, 3:22 pm

I loved playing through these games on pc. I am so excited for this. I have one question, are the games going to have trophies?

LiveForTheWubs said:

October 23rd, 3:24 pm

Did not mean to reply to you haha my bad

Alex_Yagami said:

October 23rd, 4:24 pm

Please include a platinum for each of the games (or at least for the whole collection)!

Kaddyshacks said:

October 23rd, 10:54 pm

Whaaaa? Out of nowhere. I’d been hoping for years to see this get a PSN release. Very cool!

tehultim4te0wnz said:

October 25th, 8:47 pm

I cannot find a place to preorder. All the preorder links are for countries outside of the USA. Any update on when this will be available in America?

AmazedBunion said:

October 27th, 4:26 pm

I’m so psyched for this. I bought Amnesia The Deal Decent for PC a few years back but halfway through, my PC died. I never got around to getting another PC because of the evolution of smart phones, I didn’t really need it. Now I get to finish what I started; a top 5 horror game. Not only do I get to replay/finish the first one, I get to experience the others now too. I love you guys so much. Maybe some day you could bring Penumbra to PS4/Vita so I can try those out. Will certainly be purchasing this the second it’s available. Thank you so much. You have a forever fan here.

R3KLESSMIND said:

October 30th, 5:28 pm

Too bad this will not be released before Halloween. Still, I’m excited to finally play these games.

bonzaibillie said:

October 31st, 7:29 pm

Such a fan of this game. Put lots of hours into the PC version, cant wait to play it on my PS4. I must say, now being the owner of a PS VR, I would say that including VR support is a must and should become a top priority. Survival horror might be my favorite genre, and VR in my humble opinion, was tailored for 1st person survival horror experiences. I cannot wait to experience RE VII in VR. And I will continue to hope that you and your staff change your minds regarding VR implementation! Peace!

jaytsigma said:

November 7th, 3:08 pm

Thank you so very much for releasing tis on ps4!!, I’m a console gamer only and I’ve watched many parts of gameplay of the dark decent in YouTube and just kept praying it would come out on my console so I can play it! I checked about 2-3 times a week until I saw it was TRUE!my prayers will be answered and thank you so much for caring and never gave up because now your team is talked about in the internet and YouTube and even in the talking to one another world as in a common knowledge aspect!I will keep looking for the release date and if you have any sites that might have it when it is announced it would be much appreciated! Thank you again so much I can’t wait to play and scare myself to death!!!