PlayStation VR

Nov 21

Nov 21

Uncharted 4: Survival Revealed, Play it at PS Experience

Vinit Agarwal's Avatar Posted by Game Designer, Naughty Dog

Since announcing it as part of our Uncharted 4 Multiplayer road map back in May, one of the most common questions we get is: what’s in store for co-op? Well, today I’m excited to give you a first look at Uncharted 4: Survival, our new cooperative and solo mode that will make its public hands-on debut at PlayStation Experience next week and launch in mid-December.

Survival is a wave-based mode where you and up to two additional friends can take on swarms of increasingly powerful enemies and unique objectives. If you played Co-Op Arena from Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3, you’re going to feel right at home in Survival. We’ve built upon and evolved the core gameplay experience with an entirely new level of depth, challenge, and variety. From new enemy types and powerful new bosses to a dedicated progression system and expansive upgradable arsenal, Survival is all about strategy, camaraderie, and skill.

Across 50 waves and 10 maps, you’ll face off against Shoreline mercenaries, heavily armored Brutes, Snipers, Hunters, and more that will only get more precise, more aggressive, and better equipped as time goes on. Every 10 waves culminates in an intense boss battle, including our all-new Pirate Warlords. Inspired by the story of Uncharted 4, some of the Founders of Libertalia have arrived to hunt you down with powerful Mystical attacks. Don’t miss Adam Baldridge himself as the Djinn-wielding Warlord boss in the video above.

But Survival requires more than just dispatching enemies. To reach wave 50, you’ll need to work your way through objective modes where victory depends on defending a particular area, collecting treasures within a time limit, or taking out marked enemies. We might even throw a curveball at you from time to time, like when an active modifier makes it so only pistols, headshots, or melee attacks do damage to enemies. As you take out enemies and complete objectives, you’ll earn in-game cash, which can be used to unlock and equip weapons and gear via arsenal crates around the map. You can buy everything from Heavy Weapons, long guns, Mysticals, and more.

Survival also features its own dedicated progression system, Relic Challenges, and loadouts. As you rank up, you’ll earn upgrades for your weapons, as well as new items, such as Survival-exclusive boosters. There are also vanity items that can only earned by playing Survival, but can be used to deck out your character in both Survival and Multiplayer. Best of all, the challenge grows with you. Enemies will adapt to your increased firepower and there are multiple difficulties to choose from. Those that finish Survival on Hard Mode will unlock Crushing Mode, which as the name suggests, is the ultimate test of your will and determination.

But this is just a small taste of what to expect when Survival launches next month. To see more, be sure to check out IGN’s exclusive coverage and extended gameplay videos. And if you’re attending PlayStation Experience next week, come see us at the Uncharted 4: Survival booth to try out the mode for yourself.

Add Your Own

Butters360 said:

November 21st, 8:08 am

OH MY. PlayStation Experience 2016 IS next week. Time flew by. This looks like a lot of fun. SWEETNESS.

iamtylerdurden1 said:

November 21st, 8:32 am

Pretty awesome. I wonder how many gots awards you guys win?

AliceLanes said:

November 22nd, 11:05 am

I basically mak℮ about $9,000-$12,000 a month online. It’s ℮nough to comfortably replace my old jobs income, especially considering I only work about 10-13 hours a week from home. Go this website and click to “Tech” tab to start your work… www.14earnpath.com

liumidsun said:

November 21st, 8:08 am

Can’t wait!!!

Is couch co-op possible for this mode?

jtg2015 said:

November 21st, 11:03 am

I don’t think so. I recall them addressing the couch/splitscreen feature during a update live stream and unfortunately they had to drop it due to how small the multiplayer team is to develop everything they want in

blizzardgendo said:

November 21st, 8:11 am

A zombie horde mode…really? Why not just to Un-karted. I would be more likely to play that. Seriously…do that.

jtg2015 said:

November 21st, 11:06 am

Well it’s something the past games had and what fans requested. Plus it uses the mechanics of the game. A kart game isn’t part of their development, no where close. That’s up to another developer to do that and agree that it would be fun to see

veryhoudini11 said:

November 21st, 2:17 pm

Sorry to break it to you but the universe doesnt revolve around you. The fact that you dont like horde modes is irrelevant to the other players and the development team. You haven’t even tried it so your opinion is even more invalid.

jchill001 said:

November 21st, 8:24 am

i may actually start playing this game again now

TrueAssassin86x said:

November 21st, 8:32 am

Hmmm damn it i guess i need to install Uncharted 4 again thank god i have the disc version.

rufusmarch23 said:

November 21st, 8:32 am

I know in this day in age split-screen is almost dead but I would definitely buy this if it has split-screen.
Can’t wait see what store on the single player DLC

Havok83 said:

November 21st, 8:34 am

UC4’s MP was pretty barebones when released but I appreciate the work put into beefing it up as Ive spent countless hours with it.

Toufu11 said:

November 21st, 8:37 am

If only they took the time and include the mystical thingy in the story mode like the previous 1-3 did. It wouldnt be so boring. Was hoping to see mermans and kraken like stuff, much to dissapointment.

DarkOne_PR said:

November 22nd, 12:02 am

I have to agree that it was VERY VEEEEERY disappointing that in the U4 story there wasn’t anything magical or cursed…

rufusmarch23 said:

November 21st, 8:38 am

Best of luck at The Game Awards. In my opinion nothing comes close to Uncharted 4!

theshepanator said:

November 21st, 8:45 am

Any news whatsoever on co-op adventure/story mode?

Even a confirmation of it’s existence?

jtg2015 said:

November 21st, 11:10 am

Maybe you mistaken that idea. Don’t think a co-op story mode was discussed. It was always just a co-op horde mode similar to previous games. If there was talk of a story mode then I want to see it.

Shame5 said:

November 21st, 8:47 am

Are we going to get anymore information about registration hours? The only thing I can find in my confirmation email is “You may pick up your badge during registration hours in the Anaheim Convention Center”.

ZanFear said:

November 21st, 9:09 am

Is there going to be an “adventure” co-op mode like in the previous games? Those were really fun.

MakoSOLIDER said:

November 21st, 9:14 am

Second this

MakoSOLIDER said:

November 21st, 9:15 am

Will there ever be new MP trophies added to the game?

Warped said:

November 21st, 9:26 am

I will see you all next week ;)

zombie9 said:

November 21st, 9:29 am

BOOM this is my favorite part of UC the co-op mode and we have all weapons and mystical no sidekicks though? and how may can play co-op is it still 4 man teams or 5? I’ll be watching video’s later.

Vinit Agarwal's Avatar

Vinit Agarwal said:

November 21st, 1:59 pm

All weapons will be present, as will most of the mysticals and gear seen in competitive mode.

For coop, it will be up to 3 man teams. Though it can be played solo or two player as well. In Solo mode, we pair you with an AI buddy who can revive you and is a dependable partner in combat.

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the mode when it drops next month :)

DeRR1ck19 said:

November 21st, 9:31 am

Any chance Survivor well get its own Trophy set? Pretty please?? :-P

Vinit Agarwal's Avatar

Vinit Agarwal said:

November 21st, 1:59 pm

Yes, Survival Mode will have it’s own trophy set. Stay tuned for more information on that.

Link01 said:

December 1st, 8:21 pm

My gf and I now definitely have a reason to play this :D

Elk_mistral said:

November 21st, 9:54 am

I hope no… DLC online trophy is pain after some month.

tusunami said:

November 21st, 9:59 am

So looking forward to this I can’t wait!!!!!

testbrit said:

November 21st, 9:59 am

Is nobody else more interested in hearing about single player DLC?

SpooNManX said:

November 21st, 5:46 pm

I don’t care much about multiplayer, but if they were to release a single player DLC add-on for Uncharted 4 I’d buy it on day 1.

So many great games totally neglect the single player experience for multiplayer DLC (I.E. GTA V, Uncharted 3).
    The Last of Us received a great DLC single player experience, so why not Uncharted 4?

HOOfan_1 said:

November 23rd, 7:10 pm

Not just more interested…..ONLY interested.

It’s been 6 months since the game released now. It’s been 8 months since the game went gold. Not a peep as far as the single player DLC though.

My guess is it will be about Nate and Sam before the prison incident.

Renan_Acid said:

November 21st, 10:31 am

Nice! I miss playing Uncharted co-op with my friends!
Also cool to see Train Wreck make a return. Are we getting any more classic maps? I’d love to see some of the more vertical maps make a return, like Yemen and Museum.

Shubhmay said:

November 21st, 11:20 am

Finally coop.. love this new style..but if there is camaraderie then please bring back hi-fives and fist bumps.. I want show my gratitude to my friends for a job well done

shadysaiyanz said:

November 21st, 11:26 am

I need to go back a few months and find the post where i said that the next map you guys added was going to be the snowy trainyard. damn was i right on that. Gotta stop being predictable. No complaining but the multiplayer trend you’ve had going since 3 is introduce new stuff and maps, then add maps from Uncharted 2. Here you’re doing it again. U2 was a fantastic game but you guys don’t actually move forward much. Idk if anything is gonna get me back into the MP after the first patch you guys put out made it pay-2-win but i guess i’ll load the game back up whenever that single player DLC happens, if it happens.

SharkZone360 said:

November 21st, 12:14 pm

Can you play this mode without plus and will there be a future update for competitive multiplayer bots? It looks awesome by the way.

Vinit Agarwal's Avatar

Vinit Agarwal said:

November 21st, 12:36 pm

Yes, you will be able to play our Solo mode without PS Plus. In Solo mode we spawn an AI buddy to fight alongside you.

beltsquid said:

November 21st, 1:51 pm

Yes, finally!!! I put tons of hours into co-op on Uncharted 3, I’m so glad to see it come back.

Daburcor said:

November 21st, 1:58 pm

Outside of the single-player campaign, this mode was my biggest reason for buying Uncharted 4! Can’t wait to finally get a crack at it.

akibake said:

November 21st, 2:55 pm

Finally!! I’m so glad you guys got around to including survival. It was one of the most fun modes in U2 and U3 for my friends and me. It looks like you’re including a remastered version of the Train Wreck map from U2. Is that right? For what it’s worth, I would be stoked if you update the game with other remastered maps from the previous games. There were so many great ones, like The Plaza, The Fort, The Sanctuary, The Airstrip, Highrise, The Flooded Ruins, The Museum, Oasis, Yemen, etc. They’re pretty much all great. So many good memories, but with the polish available on the PS4… wow. Great potential there.

DaveedT13 said:

November 21st, 3:26 pm

Really happy about it! Would have like boss waves to go with each maps from each game (U1 boss, U2 bosses etc.) but maybe we’ll be surprised! :)

Really appreciate the MELEE being like the STORY MODE instead of the competitive multi, wow, will be great to pull out those moves along with buddies! :)

Really happy you listened to a lot of your fans by including boss waves into your survival mode!

I was not a fan of the demand saying that more than 10 waves will be great and I explained why on the Forums a few times, not everybody can play a game for 1-2 hour straight, so your idea about 50 waves being splitted is AWESOME! :)

Vinit Agarwal's Avatar

Vinit Agarwal said:

November 21st, 4:11 pm

Glad you’re excited! We’re just as excited to release this mode for everyone to play. The melee from singleplayer has been a blast to play with in Survival.

We wanted to be conscious of how players will play this mode, so it was important to ensure that whether you have half-an-hour or a full day to play, you can enjoy and achieve something in Survival mode.

longevity said:

November 21st, 5:02 pm

50 levels

devs are killin me, finishing 50 levels is a gigantic slice of time. Need smaller tiers like 10-20-50.

super high percent of peeps are just gonna bail before 50 or they won’t bother if the rewards are ransomed til the very end.

Vinit Agarwal's Avatar

Vinit Agarwal said:

November 21st, 5:17 pm

Good news – the 50 waves are actually split into 10 stages that are 5 waves each so that you can play in smaller increments. A typical stage length will be anywhere between 15-20 minutes.

Mariokart141 said:

November 21st, 5:10 pm

So its basically GoW4’s Horde Mode, right? Even the 50 level thing.
Way to innovate guys.

andrew42085 said:

November 21st, 11:51 pm

To be fair, it must be pretty hard to innovate on a horde mode

DarkOne_PR said:

November 22nd, 12:07 am

cry me a river kid.

Reverseshift said:

November 21st, 6:51 pm

Finally. I’ve been eagerly awaiting the new Co-op survival modes. Thank you!!!

cybercam said:

November 22nd, 6:53 am

It’s about time… been looking forward to co-op since release. Now maybe I can convince my buddies to get the game again so we play some UC together.

QUESTION; Will there be other co-op modes or is this the only mode we’re getting?

Vextalon said:

November 22nd, 10:39 am

Do you need the season pass in order to play Survival mode?

Lima_Overlord said:

December 9th, 7:33 pm

no need, all dlc’s from UC4 are free

TERMINATOR543 said:

November 22nd, 4:56 pm

So excited for this! I love the support the this game. Hope to see it supported even years down the road.

TERMINATOR543 said:

November 22nd, 4:56 pm

for*

Welmosca said:

November 24th, 8:58 am

Not gonna happen…when ND is done with their DLC roadmap.UC4 will be forgotten…the real support that UC4 needs which is punishment for cheaters and balance well ND dont give a flying f about it so imagine a year from now.

LazyJournalist said:

November 23rd, 12:37 am

I am really sorry for asking such a stupid question, but will those trophies gonna be pain in the **s for begginers? Please, dont judge me. Just want to know, am i gonna enjoy it or struggle)

Evolution54 said:

November 23rd, 11:30 am

THANK YOU NAUGHTY DOG!!!

It took a while but FINALLY, the one mode my friends are waiting for. This survival mode is the ONLY reason we all held back on purchasing Uncharted 4. We spend so many hours with U2 and U3 playing this and each time was a joy. That feeling you get when you complete it on the hardest difficulty is just truly rewarding, especially when playing with random players.

50 waves?! This is friggin awesome! Not to mention that so many other elements have been thrown in the mix to make it that much harder. OMGGG….this is going to be an awesome Christmas!

x-ooo--00--ooo-x said:

November 23rd, 2:04 pm

YES!!!!!! Finally! I have been waiting and waiting for co-op, and very much look forward to playing this with my friends. We are not fans of multiplayer competitive. (Tried it. Got fed up with uneven teams.)

Co-op adventure would be totally awesome if you were to bring that out eventually as well, ND.

Welmosca said:

November 24th, 8:55 am

Really glad for finally getting some news on the co-op and the trailer was awesome,it looks awesome…the idea to put the pirate captains from the story as bosses was incredible but I already see you guys tried to make the co-op like zombies from CoD…thats the ND I know,instead of making UC into what made it good,no…y’all wanna keep copying another games instead of doing your own thing.Oh well I hope its as good as it looks,at least something close to how good UC2 co-op arena was and also I hope for some co-op adventure.

Oh and bad move adding trophies…nobody needs online trophies.

BTW where’s Alcazar and Jameson?….both should’ve been available to play online with since the beginning.

Link01 said:

December 1st, 8:20 pm

I’m personally very happy we are finally getting additional online trophy sets. If you don’t like them, dont go for them. They don’t prevent you from platnuming the game, so stop discouraging trophy additions for people who want them… like me and many many others.

lager96 said:

December 3rd, 10:52 pm

Naught Dog has always added MP trophies ever since Uncharted 2. Plus you don’t need them for the platinum. The only reason you might have an issue is you won’t be at 100% anymore which I totally get. Who knows, the trophies might be easy with only a couple difficult ones.

Welmosca said:

November 24th, 9:01 am

Oh yeah forgot to mention…Train Wreck really?…I’m glad to see another UC2 map back but of all great maps on UC2 like Temple,Plaza,Sanctuary…you guys come with Train Wreck?…starting to lose faith in you ND.

Evolution54 said:

November 24th, 3:33 pm

I forgot to add:

Please allow us to play as villains in Survival mode! While it was fun to play as Donut Drake, Chloe, Sully etc, we’ve always wanted to play as villains. I don’t see what’s the harm in allowing this. Obviously it wouldn’t make sense in Story Mode or whatever but this would awesome in Survival mode.

TheGorillaKilla said:

November 26th, 8:01 am

FINALLY! Was getting tired of carrying entire teams literally every game in PVP so I stopped playing way back in August. Now I’ll have an excuse to pick up the game again soon.

steve_mac said:

November 28th, 6:35 am

Naughty Dog have gone from a developer that constantly amazed me to a developer that constantly disappoints me.
Uncharted 4 single player was very good but the multiplayer part of the game has been so disappointing, shortage of game modes, shortage of maps, no co-op at launch and now 8 months later still no co-op adventure (something that was so unique to Naughty Dog), and this after a game that was delayed on more than one occasion. This is the last time I pre-order, or purchase a season pass for a Naughty Dog game, without knowing exactly what I am going to get for my money. Should have realised what Naughty Dog were turning into when Uncharted 3’s final “map pack” contained a single map.

jcamacho-1961 said:

November 29th, 10:22 am

and co-op adventure?
it was one of the best things on uncharted 2/3 will we have it on U4?

PESDANY said:

November 30th, 12:50 am

NAUGHTY DOG : Again champion of the last of us the best multiplayer game they have done you hope you have the same level the last of us 2. I am PESDANY LEVEL 999 a greeting NAUGHTY DOG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gitf_8sLX4

E-Velarde said:

December 1st, 7:20 pm

By playing solo without PS Plus does that mean it can be played offline as well by that description???