Watch Dogs 2

Dec 03

Classic RPG Ys Origin Coming to PS4, PS Vita on February 21, 2017

Jessica Iragne's Avatar Posted by on Dec 03, 2016 // Communication & Marketing Manager, DotEmu

Hi there! It’s Jessica from DotEmu. For those who don’t know us, we specialize in modern releases of beloved retro games. Our mission is simple: give every gamer access to yesteryear’s classic video games on today’s platforms.

Today we’re thrilled to announce the return of Ys Origin on PS4 and PS Vita! Originally released in 2006 for the PC market in Japan, this epic action RPG is now back 10 years later (Happy Birthday!) with a well-deserved rebirth on PS4 and PS Vita — the perfect consoles to host this relaunch.

New Exclusive Features

For the return of Ys Origin on PlayStation platforms, we decided to bring new features and enhancements while staying true to the series’ original spirit. Because the game has been “PC only” so far, our main objective was to create the best-possible console experience without devaluing those precious PC roots.

The biggest changes we made were to optimize the visuals and effects and improve the UI and menus so that players can enjoy the full HD widescreen experience. After several months of hard work, the game looks very nice and we really hope you’ll like it!

Moreover, for the pleasure of gamers worldwide, we also wanted to localize the game in as many languages as possible. Thus, the game will be available in Japanese and English via the amazing work on the 2012 PC version by XSEED Games, but also — and for the first time ever — in French, Italian, German, and Spanish.

Ys Origin

The Godfather of JRPGs

The Ys Series has a special place in our hearts at DotEmu. Since 2014 we’ve been working with Nihon Falcom on several Ys installments, and we really wanted to explore an Ys Origin console version. Nihon Falcom liked the idea and gave us the green light. To say we’re thrilled and proud to work on this great Japanese action-RPG saga would be an understatement! Plus, this episode was especially important to us because it’s a prequel to the entire series, and so a bit different from the other installments.

Epic Boss fights are a big part of the Ys saga, and Ys Origin perfectly reflects this. Discover each boss’s pattern and use attacks, spells, and skills until you’re victorious. It’s sometimes hard, but oh so satisfying!

Ys Origin encompasses all that we love about JRPGs: epic stories, endearing characters, fabulous gameplay, and a beautiful soundtrack.

Save the Goddesses, Save the World

The Ys saga is rich and engaging, and the story of Ys Origin is unique since it takes place 700 years before the events of the first episode published in 1987. Following a devastating demonic invasion, the twin Goddesses use their magic to bring the inhabitants of legendary Ys safely into the sky. While the demons work to construct Devil’s Tower and reach the humans’ new abode, the Goddesses disappear. You must seek them in Devil’s Tower and reveal its secrets.

In Ys Origin, you don’t play as Adol — instead, you can choose between two characters with their own attributes and stories. There’s Yunica, a talented, mighty warrior who’s adept with the axe, and Hugo, a cunning sorcerer who uses powerful spells to defeat his enemies.

Time for you to gear up, gather your courage, and save the world of Ys from the comfort of your sofa — or during your workday commute. Get ready, Ys fans. Ys Origin comes to PS4 and PS Vita on February 21, 2017!

+ Asshawk on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:42 pm said:

Is it getting a physical release?

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

+ Jessica Iragne on December 8th, 2016 at 12:32 am said:

Hey! It’s not planed yet but I will let you know if we do it!

+ Lancer205 on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:48 pm said:

Hope this leads to the possibility for other Ys games on the PS4.

+ MapleStory on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:50 pm said:

Ok, this may be the best news released today so far. I ADORE the Ys franchise, having played through almost the entirety of the series along with various remakes/updates of the earlier titles. Hell, I even beat Ys: The Vanished Omens on my Sega Master System for my dad (much to his delight), who got stuck in Darm Tower in the late 80’s but still had the save file intact nearly 20 years later! haha

Thank you guys for bringing this over to consoles!

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

+ Jessica Iragne on December 8th, 2016 at 12:33 am said:

Thank you very much for your support, we’re pretty excited as well to bring this classic to PS4 and PS Vita!

+ Vinland_Krauser on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:59 pm said:

Please consider bringing over the other Ys games (Napishtim and Felghana)!
Also, besides Falcom, can you tell us about more companies we can look forward to in terms of classic series you’re working on, or at least interested in porting in the future? Maybe SNK titles?

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

+ Jessica Iragne on December 8th, 2016 at 12:39 am said:

We would love to bring other Ys games to PS4 and PS Vita!

Currently we are also working on Windjammers (more infos here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/12/03/windjammers-returns-on-ps4-and-ps-vita-with-online-multiplayer/) and Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap (a remake of Wonder Boy III, totally hand-drawn redesigned) .

+ RyuZX on December 4th, 2016 at 11:54 am said:

I was hoping they would respond to you. If they were able to get access to Konami’s back catalog that would be awesome.

+ YoungLage on December 4th, 2016 at 6:17 pm said:

Felghana is already at the PlayStation Store… At least, for the PSP and PS VITA. Are you wanting a PS4 release of Felghana? Then asks XSEED for it.

+ Kishnabe on December 3rd, 2016 at 1:00 pm said:

Thanks so much, Have the PC version. I though this will never come to Console….

Got burnt again like Bastion….but happy none the less.

+ Nicco555 on December 3rd, 2016 at 1:19 pm said:

Europe?

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

+ Jessica Iragne on December 8th, 2016 at 12:41 am said:

Yes sir, worldwide!

+ Alucard-XII on December 3rd, 2016 at 1:27 pm said:

Any chance of porting the PSP games on PS4? Oath in Filghana, Ark of Napishtim and Seven.

+ Traingham on December 3rd, 2016 at 1:31 pm said:

Took em’ long enough!

+ gerneric123 on December 3rd, 2016 at 1:31 pm said:

Will the Vita version run at 60fps? This an old game.

+ gerneric123 on December 3rd, 2016 at 1:33 pm said:

Also, you should bring 5 and 6 to Vita. Only mainline entries you can’t play on it after this!

+ PHINX55 on December 3rd, 2016 at 1:55 pm said:

For me the best news of the day, subtitles in Spanish almost made me cry of happiness :D

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

+ Jessica Iragne on December 8th, 2016 at 12:45 am said:

Thanks for your support! We’re happy to add some new languages to the game :)

+ perrandy on December 3rd, 2016 at 2:14 pm said:

woah,what happened to xseed?

+ xKyon90x on December 3rd, 2016 at 2:39 pm said:

SUB MULTI5.
I’m SUPER happy! *_*

+ lisatsunami on December 3rd, 2016 at 3:09 pm said:

Buying this, thanks.

+ FreeRPGer on December 3rd, 2016 at 3:31 pm said:

Indeed, is this getting a physical release? I sure hope so.
However, I just may break down and get this even if it’s only as DLC.

+ DustyBlue on December 3rd, 2016 at 3:53 pm said:

I **** MY PANTS WHEN I SAW THIS!!! You guys have no idea how psyched I am to see Ys come to PS4… This is amazing. If you port the other games, you have my money, day 1!

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

+ Jessica Iragne on December 8th, 2016 at 12:48 am said:

haha! Glad to see how excited you are about this announcement! We are also really enthusiastic to bring this classic to PS4 and PS Vita and would love to bring other Ys games in the future!

+ GearThird_Luffy on December 3rd, 2016 at 5:15 pm said:

So does this mean I can pick between English, Japanese, French, Italian, German, and Spanish text options if I buy a US version of the game?

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

+ Jessica Iragne on December 8th, 2016 at 12:49 am said:

Yes, absolutely!

+ iriihutoR84 on December 3rd, 2016 at 5:28 pm said:

Awesome. Really stoked to play this one. Like many others here I’d love a physical release but I’m excited to play it either way.

+ Souledge94 on December 3rd, 2016 at 5:51 pm said:

+ shmyazoo2 on December 3rd, 2016 at 6:38 pm said:

Ys games are always fantastic! I have played most of them already and I own this title for the PC, but I love that it’s coming to the Vita and PS4. Hope it gets to be a PS+ Free title for february, like a few other great games in the past.

+ SOUP_32 on December 3rd, 2016 at 6:39 pm said:

So excited for this! Physical release on Vita please!

+ Jotamide on December 4th, 2016 at 12:09 pm said:

I’m not gonna beat around the bush: whenever I see your logo on releases I always get apprehensive due to the poor emulation of some shmup releases from Dotemu in the past. That being said, I’m pretty sure that neither Falcom nor XSEED had any intention of bringing Ys Origin to consoles. So for having interest in bringing this awesome game to new audiences, I’ll give you guys the benefit of the doubt. Hope this turns out awesome! :D

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

+ Jessica Iragne on December 8th, 2016 at 12:59 am said:

Thanks for being honest. Sorry if we didn’t meet your expectations in the past regarding shmup releases but we learned from the players feedbacks and the team worked really hard since then. We really want to make this game (and all the DotEmu next releases) as perfect as possible! Hope you’ll like it :)

+ DarkAlbireo on December 5th, 2016 at 7:25 am said:

Ps Vita rules, thanks Jessica Iragne for this game and please keep going making games for ps vita :)

Jessica Iragne's Avatar

+ Jessica Iragne on December 8th, 2016 at 1:00 am said:

Thanks a lot for your support! I have a Vita myself and this console is awesome :)

+ baniann on December 6th, 2016 at 1:31 pm said:

One of my all time favorite series, thrilled for this news! Would love to see all the Ys games on PSN.

+ xClayMeow on December 6th, 2016 at 2:06 pm said:

Will the demo be released for PS4 and PSV as well? There’s a demo on Steam and I’d love to try it out on Vita.

+ Prof_Icepick on December 7th, 2016 at 9:11 am said:

Okay, so this means that Ys Seven is finally gonna hit PC, right?

+ TSTina on December 19th, 2016 at 11:49 am said:

This is great news! I love the Ys series! I already have all the Ys titles that are available on Steam, plus I & II on Android. But we’re still missing Ys 4, 5, 7, and 8 on PC and consoles. Any chance of porting those to the PS4, PC, or Android? PC would be preferred, since I can run them in 3D via TriDef, but I’ll settle for PS4.

+ Anger-Juice on December 30th, 2016 at 4:11 am said:

Are we getting a physical release? I know at least 5 personal friends of mine that would pre-order this day 1 if it ended up being physical. I mean it’s a classic game right? All classic games were physical as was every single other ys game to date. Please make it happen guys you won’t regret it!