PlayStation VR

Dec 03

The Last of Us Part II

Neil Druckmann's Avatar Posted by on Dec 03, 2016 // Creative Director, Naughty Dog

Let’s cut to the chase: the sequel to The Last of Us is happening, and it’s called The Last of Us Part II.

I can’t tell you how satisfying it is to finally be able to say that Ellie and Joel are back for another intense, harrowing, and emotional adventure. Like many of you, we have a deep love for the world of The Last of Us and its characters, and while a sequel may have seemed like a foregone conclusion, that wasn’t the case. We knew that it needed to be a story worth telling and, perhaps more importantly, a story worthy of Joel and Ellie. After spending years on different ideas (and almost giving up), we finally uncovered a story that felt special—a story that evolved into an epic journey.

It’s still early days for the project—the game’s release is a ways off—but we couldn’t wait any longer to give you a glimpse of what’s to come. We’re going to let the trailer speak for itself, but expect more information about The Last of Us Part II in the coming months.

The Last of Us Part II, 02

In the meantime, if you’re at PlayStation Experience today or watching the livestream from home, don’t miss our panel at 2:00pm PT where I’ll be joined by Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker to talk about the reveal. Keep an eye on Naughty Dog’s channels to see more of what we’re up to this weekend.

Until next time, endure and survive!

90 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ jbisnutbush on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:30 am said:

So Hyped!!!!!

+ Akmaljon on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:32 am said:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASS!

+ Robbie_G_lrish on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:34 am said:

Part of me thinks this might be a huge mistake… the other part was starting to tear up from excitement of just watching the trailer.

+ AvivromerTS on December 8th, 2016 at 9:03 am said:

Me too! The first was just so awesome and all those emotions flooded my heart when I saw the preview for the sequel!

I pray that the story is bad ass with the same element of surprise and emotion as the first, if not then even more!

+ TrueAssassin86x on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:34 am said:

After watching PSX i need a change of Pants. So hyped

+ DomoB1990 on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:35 am said:

All aboard the hype train!!! Take all my money. Just take it.

+ Leviey_ on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:36 am said:

OMG OMG CANT BELIEVE IT SO LOVE IT!

+ blueKolibri on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:37 am said:

Oh my god yesss finally. I freaking love Naughty Dog

+ mohammadhaseb45 on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:37 am said:

IM HAPPY AFTER MAN

+ mohammadhaseb45 on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:41 am said:

AF NOT AFTER THIS DUMB KEYBOARD WROTE THIS NOT ME

+ GaMeR_bOi_83 on December 3rd, 2016 at 2:39 pm said:

We now “DAMIT” know. Auto corre “stop trolling me!!!” Auto correct miss “why?”
    ………we feel you’re pain.

+ angel_tatoo_666 on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:39 am said:

Omg thank you so much. I still don’t belive it. So much hype.

+ Pixxo20 on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:43 am said:

Hyyyype!!!

damn I have to buy a PS4.

+ walkbyfaith76 on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:43 am said:

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! best damn surprise this year! I LOVE THIS UNIVERSE!

+ BIO_gamer69 on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:48 am said:

There is absolutely no need for this. The original game was perfect on it’s own, and the ending was open for interpretation. TLOU2 shouldn’t exist unless it involves around an entirely new cast of characters and setting. I really hope this sequel doesn’t tarnish the orignal. I love Naughty Dog and I trust them to do a good job, but some things are best kept as is.

+ singulino on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:58 am said:

I’d be with you, I loved the end and the whole was perfect. But I think Ellie & Joel have yet a really good story to be told, and I hope Naughty Dog found it.

+ mjc0961 on December 3rd, 2016 at 7:22 pm said:

How can it tarnish the original? The original is still there. It can still be enjoyed as is. You can just ignore the rest of the stuff after it if you don’t like it.

+ internisus on December 3rd, 2016 at 8:27 pm said:

How can it *not* tarnish the original? The ending’s ambiguity was gone the moment this trailer appeared.

+ Welmosca on December 3rd, 2016 at 9:13 pm said:

Yes well said.I too think a sequel is not necessary but after the huge success that was the 1st one even if it had an end,one would be crazy to think Sony would not do a sequel.

I for one am really curious to see how they’ll keep on with the story…if they decided to do a prequel like the time when Joel and Tommy survived together and how they split,it would be cool and actually awesome.But I really dont see how they’ll continue the story.

+ CMcGilly on December 4th, 2016 at 7:50 pm said:

Guys it’ll b fine ND hasn’t let us down in their games

+ specimen79 on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:52 am said:

Thank you ND team.
I’m sold on it.

+ p_morin on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:54 am said:

This is madness! I’m so happy about that. I trust you to make a great game!

I thought I would skip PS4 and become mostly a PC gamer, but I’m very confuse now… :| :P

+ mjc0961 on December 3rd, 2016 at 7:23 pm said:

It’s actually simple. You skip PS4 for everything except the exclusive games. That’s what I’m doing as of late.

+ medenko1975 on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:55 am said:

+ piinkuniicorn on December 3rd, 2016 at 11:57 am said:

ND, you got my money for this game and Sony, you got my money for new PS4!

+ ajwilson55 on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:01 pm said:

Very interested to see how the story progresses. Excitement level is through the roof!

+ SharkZone360 on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:02 pm said:

Dreams do come true when you wish upon a star holy moly this is awesome!!!

+ j_shorty2 on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:07 pm said:

I pretty sure it’s certain, but I hope Gustavo Santaolalla returns to compose the music.

+ bkdhem on December 3rd, 2016 at 2:43 pm said:

Yes, I hope too!

+ Crazymanwalking1 on December 4th, 2016 at 7:14 pm said:

Its been confirmed he will be directing the musical score yet again

+ Kishnabe on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:08 pm said:

I’ll get excited when I finish the first one, know what all the love is about.

+ jc18241 on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:10 pm said:

I just came a little.

+ kratos1984 on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:13 pm said:

Can’t wait! Love the first one so much. Hands down, Naughty Dog is one of the top developers today. One hope I have is Naughty Dog adding the same accessibility options they put in Uncharted 4. I have a disability and the options in Uncharted 4 was very much appreciated.

+ ZanFear on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:17 pm said:

Glad they’re making a sequel with the same characters! I felt their story was not over yet.

+ Mechta on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:28 pm said:

I’m so EXITED

+ Mechta on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:37 pm said:

We are going to love this

+ MGN1990 on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:39 pm said:

Naughty Dog, simply put, run this industry.
What a trailer.

+ Kid_Grim on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:48 pm said:

Obviously this is a day one buy. I fell in love with the story in the first one, it even brought out a few tears, so no doubt this one will be just as epic.

+ Sponge-worthy on December 3rd, 2016 at 12:59 pm said:

I’m actually a little surprised that we’re sticking with Joel and Ellie for Part 2. But I’ll allow it :)

+ mjc0961 on December 3rd, 2016 at 7:24 pm said:

Oh you will? Thanks. We were worried you’d cancel the game since you have so much authority over what Naughty Dog can and can’t do.

+ NemoMcGregor on December 3rd, 2016 at 1:25 pm said:

Do you know how many times i’ve repeated this trailer ?
You can guess becuz i f’ing lost COUNT!
SO F’ing HYPE! WE LOVE YOU NAUGHTY DOG!
You too Sony <3 !!!

+ fhgjr on December 3rd, 2016 at 1:33 pm said:

Thanks Neil But you can allude to Release date Because I have no ps4 and I want to borrow money, and do the impossible in order to play The last of us please neil I’m one of the first fans the last fo us please neil please

+ Orayu- on December 3rd, 2016 at 1:45 pm said:

Waited for these news for so long!

+ StephGrim on December 3rd, 2016 at 1:58 pm said:

Finally…..no release date but this is good enough

+ hsh268 on December 3rd, 2016 at 2:20 pm said:

Don’t get me wrong super excited about this,but what about a prequel.

I’d be interested in seeing what Joel and his brother were up to in the 20 years before the events of The Last of US.

+ xGOTBEEEEEEFx on December 3rd, 2016 at 2:24 pm said:

Thank God! I think I know where the story is going. Hopefully it will include Ellies mother, who like Ellie is immune.

+ Wrru on December 3rd, 2016 at 2:29 pm said:

Best news of the day so far. I cannot wait, but I must. Great news. Best storyline in a game.

+ bbswarrior_11 on December 3rd, 2016 at 2:34 pm said:

I freaking love you, Neil. You and the ND crew are the best. I´ve played TLOU campaign close to 30 times, almost 80 weeks on the mp in the past months alone. So psyched for Part 2.

+ bkdhem on December 3rd, 2016 at 2:44 pm said:

OMG I can’t wait!!!

+ tofooshop on December 3rd, 2016 at 2:57 pm said:

Holy ****!! This is really happening!

+ Sarges24 on December 3rd, 2016 at 3:31 pm said:

that literally brought a tear to my eye. Can’t Wait! No doubt as Epic or more so than the first. Naughty Dog is a league of their own!

+ Crazymanwalking1 on December 3rd, 2016 at 3:54 pm said:

I cried tears of joy when I saw Ellie and Joel
You guys absolutely made my day

I hope another collector’s edition is in the works, I wanna put it next to my Post Pandemic edition

I cannot wait to play TLoU 2
Make us proud Neil and Bruce we believe in you

+ SPG900NY on December 3rd, 2016 at 4:01 pm said:

I have no worries. I can’t wait to return to these characters. Thank you!!!

+ Phreaky on December 3rd, 2016 at 4:21 pm said:

I always though a pseudo-prequel called ‘The First of Them’ focused on the origin story would be fascinating.

But I’ll take a sequel any day of the week with ND at the helm.

+ halavictor on December 3rd, 2016 at 5:29 pm said:

I can’t wait for TLOU Factions 2! Take all my money Naughty Dog

+ GunnerFCm on December 3rd, 2016 at 5:59 pm said:

Goosebumps. What a powerful trailer. I’m in.

+ Souledge94 on December 3rd, 2016 at 6:01 pm said:

im guessing the people joel screwed will be coming back and the fact that he lied to ellie better show up.

+ overlorder55 on December 3rd, 2016 at 6:01 pm said:

So Hyped! It feels like I’ve been waiting forever but its crazy how its only been three years, probably because it’s my second favorite game of all time.

+ Welmosca on December 3rd, 2016 at 9:19 pm said:

Only…?….its actually unbelievable that its already 3 years old,going to its 4th.

+ iCondemned on December 3rd, 2016 at 6:02 pm said:

OMG! I just broke up with my girlfriend in advance so I can spend my next 2 years waiting on this game. XD

+ RaymundoLopez on December 3rd, 2016 at 6:50 pm said:

OMG!!!!! FINALLY!!!! I’ve been playing The Last of Us Remastered for more than a year now! I finished the story in a couple of weeks and I’ve been in love with the multiplayer content! Keep up with the great work and let us know when it will come out so I can get my copy!

+ ravenbg23 on December 3rd, 2016 at 7:03 pm said:

I’m excited to see how the story continues but I’m a huge Factions fan
More guns, survival skills, maps, etc
I just hope they don’t change it too much

+ ratchetsolana on December 3rd, 2016 at 7:21 pm said:

I think Joel is dead. The body on the floor is his. Ellie is singing about her and his time together. Then in walks Joels ghost. He asks her if she will get on with it. He means avenging his death. She says she will kill all of them(for it). Throughout the game you will see Joel’s spirit helping her fight and such. In reality she will be the one doing everything, Joel won’t actually be there.
The kicker is you won’t actually find out that he is in fact dead until the end, ALA sixth sense. I’m willing to bet that’s exactly what it is. It will suck if it is.

+ Welmosca on December 3rd, 2016 at 9:21 pm said:

Hoou…nice theory,that would be quite the plot twist.

The trailer actually gave an impression that she’s alone though so your theory might not be that far from the truth.

PAGE 1 2