Horizon Zero Dawn

Dec 15

Dec 15

ARK Park Coming to PlayStation VR in 2017, Interacts with ARK: Survival Evolved

Sky Wu's Avatar Posted by Executive Producer - Snail Games

We’re ecstatic to announce that ARK Park, a virtual reality experience based on the world of ARK: Survival Evolved will be coming to the PlayStation VR in 2017! ARK Park is a virtual reality experience like no other, allowing players to get up close and personal with dinosaurs and also the immersive primal environments. Explore tropical rainforests, snow-covered mountains, and expansive plains, along with the dinosaurs that call these habitats home.

Visitors to ARK Park will be able to head out on Excursions into the lush biomes to explore and witness dinosaurs up close. At various points during the Excursions, visitors will be on-foot, riding dinosaurs, or riding vehicles. While on these Excursions, visitors will be able to participate in Gene collection of these fantastic creatures. Through crafting of ARK tools, lures, and weapons, visitors may collect Gene Cubes from the many dinosaurs and extinct creatures throughout the habitat, including more than 100 unique species.

However, collecting all of the ARK creatures can be challenging due to the reclusive habits of particular dinosaurs. Determined visitors will need to use a combination of puzzle-solving logic, action skills, exploration and careful resource management to bag the most prized animals. For visitors who would rather capture memories, ARK Park will also include a Snap mode where you can photograph these wondrous creatures for extra points! Capture images of your friends in precarious moments in multiplayer Excursions, or use your ARK Park selfie stick to record your own solo adventures for bonus points.

Ark ParkArk Park

Capturing a creature’s Gene Cube will allow for you to upload it to ARK Park’s Hub area to learn more about the life form, including factoids and vital stats. Along with this, you’ll learn about how the ARK species has diverged from real-world variants. Gene Cubes may also be uploaded to the Hub’s Petting Zoo where visitors can get up close and personal with the creatures. In this scenario, visitors will be able to pet and feed dinosaurs, paint colors using the warpaint system from ARK, or even assign customizable cosmetics to creatures. If you have beloved creatures in ARK: Survival Evolved or ARK: Scorched Earth, you can upload your very own creatures from those games into the ARK Park’s Petting Zoo. View your favorite Black & Crimson T-Rex in life-size VR to truly appreciate the scale of your favorite pet!

ARK Park is in development by Snail Games’ Peacock Studio, in coordination with creative input from Studio Wildcard, for a release in 2017 on PS VR. We’re looking forward to providing an experience that is enjoyable and exciting both for veteran hardcore ARK survivors, as well as newcomers who want to interact with these majestic extinct creatures in VR for the first time!

Add Your Own

razgriz61688 said:

December 15th, 8:16 am

did we just get No Man Sky’d? we told shown that Ark: Survival Evolved would be playable in PSVR but is this what we are really getting instead? hoping that i’m wrong about this……………….

Sky Wu's Avatar

Sky Wu said:

December 15th, 11:16 am

Going to be exciting being able to upload your dinosaurs from PS4 onto PSVR. Imagine playing fetch with your favorite T-Rex!

Squadren_64 said:

December 15th, 8:39 am

EXACTLY! I’m disappointed…

awhoIepizza said:

December 15th, 8:46 am

You are wrong about one thing… no one was ever told Ark: Survival Evolved would definitely be playable in PSVR.

Age_Dna said:

December 15th, 8:46 am

The PC game already works with VR(Oculus), so please get this dumb term(No Man Sky’d) out of here.
    If it’s possible then VR will come to the PS4. Probably the PS4 Pro, though. The normal one would die from the performance intensity.

Sindred said:

December 15th, 12:21 pm

The term No Man’s Sky’d. A term developed by idiots who don’t know how to pay attention and expected more than was ever truly promised.

It’s an insult to a small development team that busted their asses to make a game that these morons could ever hope to make, even with a team of a hundred.

Nistelroy78 said:

December 17th, 7:39 pm

@awhoIepizza – The game was original being a Launch Title for PSVR

RavageX said:

December 15th, 8:50 am

I am not trying to sound like a jerk or anything, but in my opinion the VR experiences need to get away from stuff like this and focus on core gaming. Yeah exploring in a VR environment is nice but I want a GAME.

Full blown RPGs, even more shooters(Can’t believe I’m saying that), full blown games….not these 2 hour “explore the environment” demos.

It’s clear that first person movement can be done well without making people sick, so build on that and get some full blown experiences out there.

navcomm81 said:

December 15th, 1:41 pm

Completely agree. I sold my PSVR bundle a couple weeks ago because this is really all they’ve got so far. I MAY purchase another used one later next year if they prove to be working their way forward, but right now it’s just a really expensive toy that offers a few minutes of enjoyment.

shadysaiyanz said:

December 15th, 3:10 pm

I second the hell out of this. These looking around walking simulators aren’t even fun. What is exactly is the goal of this game?
    I don’t mean to be harsh or anything, but all I’ve seen from ARK: Survival Evolved is that it’s a completely broken game performance wise, like fish floating in the air and flying dinos on the ground and just pop-ins everywhere. Maybe when that’s all fixed up, it’ll be time for a QA on this Park game.

Spydien said:

December 30th, 5:57 pm

I agree. I was really looking forward to this thinking it may be the first game I can play for more than a few hours. Ark has delivered so well in so may ways but I do feel like this is a let down.

thunderbear said:

December 15th, 8:51 am

Not sure why a few people are disappointed. If they really achieve that graphic fidelity on the PSVR I’d be incredibly surprised. Trailer contains so many elements that are taxing on both the CPU and GPU… Maybe PSVR with PS4 Pro? Anyway if it looks like that I’ll definitely get it.

turniplord said:

December 15th, 9:17 am

What’s the point? ARK runs at 680p at less than 20fps on the ps4 and 720-1080p on the pro at 20-30fps (if you’re lucky) – if they release a vr game it is gonna be about 10-20fps.

They should concentrate on actually fixing and finishing the game they have out first – considering they lied to Sony by claiming ARK was finished so it could be released when it’s clearly still in early access (Sony don’t allow early access games).

Never buying any of this teams products

Sparda452 said:

December 15th, 10:14 am

What?? I played ARK for about 6 hours last night and had way better frame rates than that. I don’t think you know what your talking about.

MakaiOokami said:

December 16th, 11:00 pm

turniplord everything you said is absolutely wrong.

Don’t allow Early Access games? Then why has Dungeon Defenders been on the PS4, with “Alpha Build” for over a year now? Not to mention the fact that some of my gameplay has been broken to the point of non playability (which I’m ok with because it’s an alpha build and I had issues on the PC as well)

I found a website that does an analysis that said Ark runs at 680-720p resolution, with 30-45 fps. On the pro it is allegedly a locked 60 at 720p I think they said, and down to 30 if you check a box, that bumps it up to 1080p.

Finally, Sony requires 60 frames minimum for PS VR which then gets reprojected to 120fps. The only alternative is to hit 90 FPS. There’s no 20fps or even 30fps games being allowed for PSVR because the latency would be so bad even the most hearty of stomachs might just spew at that frames per second rate. There’s no way Sony is approving a 20fps game…

Everything you said seems to be hyperbole. I’m not a fan of Ark or anything I barely know anything more than a guy worked at Trendy, who then worked on Ark, who then got sued by Trendy for internal IP claims. But I don’t support lies.

Hitokiri_03 said:

December 15th, 9:35 am

Oh boy, the frame rate will be amazing.

sciteach said:

December 15th, 12:22 pm

Seems like an ambitious VR game. I like all the aspects of finding, snap shots, etc. I’ve never played an ARK game, but this looks like something fun.

Cutulhu_503 said:

December 15th, 12:42 pm

definitely the game trailer looks bad XD just take a look at the end scene… the expression in the eyes of the T-Rex it gives a feeling of a perverted dinosaur XD

ElektroDragon said:

December 15th, 2:31 pm

Rather have Too DARK Park.

ColdIron-v13 said:

December 15th, 11:03 pm

Its pokemon snap with dinosaurs. As someone who loved pokemon snap and ark I think this will be a great game. And for all the people who complain about the walking sims and rail shooters you got to remember there are plenty of good games in the works and that if we want better games we need show an interest in what we get now otherwise VR might just go the way of motion controls for the last gen of games. Also ,pardon the pun but, we need to lean to walk before we can run. A lot of people have to adjust to playing in VR so its good to acclimate to the tech with these lighter games before we start hardcore fighting games and the like.

Sky Wu's Avatar

Sky Wu said:

December 15th, 11:33 pm

We definitely agree with you here. There are more elements to ARK Park that we will announce in the coming days, stay tuned for more updates from the Dev team!

NewYork214 said:

December 16th, 2:46 pm

I agree that we need more full blown VR games. But reading this blog probably sold me on both ark games due to the fact that I have been waiting to play another pokemon snap for about 20 years and this is with dinosaurs. You whiners are crazy

DaveB1980 said:

December 16th, 10:49 am

The question is, *when* in 2017?

Robinson: The Journey partly scratched my dinosaurs-in-VR itch, but was short on species. This looks like it’s going to have a wider breadth of dinosaurs.

Royank said:

December 16th, 12:28 pm

The kid in me is screaming lol. Looks pretty cool I’ll definitely pick this up.

Orayu- said:

December 16th, 4:02 pm

Seen mobile games that looked better than this.

ShaukDotDJ said:

December 18th, 12:33 pm

Maybe you know, Ark should finish being a game before they start charging people for DLC and VR spinoffs that run at 15fps.

Zmcboy_55 said:

January 1st, 8:25 am

Will the full ARK game ever be in VR? Is that Still Being Developed?