The Last Guardian

Dec 22

31623320142_287026902f_o

Polls Closed: PlayStation.Blog Game of the Year 2016 Awards

31623320142_287026902f_o

Justin Massongill's Avatar Posted by on Dec 22, 2016 // Social Media Manager, SIEA

The end of the year is upon us, and that can mean only one thing — well, actually it means lots of things. The thing that it means in the context of this post, though, is that PlayStation.Blog’s annual Game of the Year awards are upon us!

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2016

2016 kept us busy, opening with the long-awaited release of The Witness and ending with the similarly long-awaited launches of Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian. The rest of the year was punctuated by hit after hit: Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, Inside, Overwatch, Dark Souls III, Titanfall 2, Doom, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Battlefield 1, Rise of the Tomb Raider… the list goes on!

Anyway, it’s time to make this official. Starting right now, the polls are open for the PlayStation.Blog Game of the Year 2016 awards. We’ll keep them open until the end of the year — that’s 11:59pm Pacific on December 31 — then tally up the votes and present the winners.

Don’t see your pick in our list of nominees? Never fear! There’s a write-in option for each category, so feel free to cast your vote for whichever game you think deserves the Platinum.

But that’s enough from me… let’s vote!

Best PS4 Game
Best PS Vita Game
Best Independent Game
Best Use of PS4 Pro
Best PlayStation VR Game
Best Story
Best Performance
Best Soundtrack
Best Visuals
Best Multiplayer
Best Post-Release Content

Editor’s note: In years past, we’ve called this category “Best Expansion”… but that felt a bit limiting. This year, we’re expanding the category to recognize all forms of post-release content: DLC & add-ons, in-game special events, new modes, new episodes, new characters, the works. When you vote, take it all into consideration!

Most Innovative
Most Anticipated

Editor’s note: As in previous years, any game that has previously won a “Most Anticipated” award is not eligible to win a Trophy this year. That said, you can still vote for previous winners Horizon Zero Dawn and Persona 5, and we will call them out appropriately in the winners post should they place.

Furthermore, this year we are removing the year from this category. That means you can vote for any game that is currently announced, even if it doesn’t have a release date or year set. Go nuts!

*Previous winner

Studio of the Year

PAGE 1 2 3

+ ArchmageJorro on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:07 am said:

Voted for Stranger of Sword City for best Vita game and Ni No Kuni 2 for most anticipated.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:50 am said:

Ni no Kuni II cannot come soon enough. So many good games on the way!

+ Tragic_killer47 on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:46 am said:

The Last of Us Part ll for the most anticipated game of the year

+ Sarges24 on December 22nd, 2016 at 4:50 pm said:

There it is!! Thought I’d be about the only one to vote Ni No Kuni. So many great games though, Days Gone, Last of Us II, Persona 5, Spiderman, yes even Spiderman!! and so many others. Ni No Kuni and Level 5 are in a league of their own though.

+ Cross313 on December 22nd, 2016 at 5:26 pm said:

Same for Ni no Kuni here as well :)

+ nanaki85 on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:25 pm said:

Best Independent Game – Yeah, I am going to have to give that one to Stardew Valley, made by just 1 guy over a long awaited 4 years :D

+ Oste18262009 on December 23rd, 2016 at 12:34 am said:

I agree with the last of us part 2 being the most anticipated. The best studio had to be Naughty Dog Hands down

+ Captain_N_1G on December 23rd, 2016 at 12:36 am said:

Ni no kuni II will be epic ❤

+ Crono_Breaker on December 23rd, 2016 at 2:08 pm said:

I really wait for shenmue!!!

+ DarkZentai on December 27th, 2016 at 12:55 am said:

I’m waiting for Nier Automata ita why I love PlayStation Sony have have massive list interesting titles next year and MS only have is fairy stories about Scorpio and no games .

+ iamtylerdurden1 on December 27th, 2016 at 6:12 am said:

I wrote in Let it Die for best soundtrack.

How is Salt & Sanctuary not under best indie? I know technically Alienation isn’t an indie, but it deserved to be there. Having said that, ENTER THE GUNGEON was the best indie of the yr.

Nier Automata and GT Sport need to be under most anticipated. I wrote in Farpoint.

Rush of Blood should be on the best VR game list. As should Tethered and Bound.

Werewolves Within deserves a nod for most innovative. Let it Die as well.

There should be a best Free to Play section and Let it Die should win. Best Suda game since Shadows.

+ Smug757 on December 28th, 2016 at 5:21 pm said:

Can someone point me in the right direction for a good MMO 1st person shooter game.

+ RawWilson1 on December 28th, 2016 at 5:33 pm said:

No Man’s Sky Should Have Been In More Categories (:

+ Arab-Man-94 on December 28th, 2016 at 8:52 pm said:

It’s very hard to choose a “Most Anticipated game” because almost all of them are AWESOME!!

+ senator2655 on December 30th, 2016 at 7:33 pm said:

We need more racing games love and I hope gt sport is good too and oh another Grid 3 anytime soon :)

+ ilikevideogame- on December 31st, 2016 at 9:54 am said:

I didn’t even know that Ni No Kuni II was coming out but as soon as I saw it I knew what to give the vote to. Psyched now!!!!

+ langdon on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:08 am said:

Best PS Vita Game… Salt and Sanctuary…

What?

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:43 am said:

My bad! I made the polls. Fixed

+ juanmanshow on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:28 am said:

Exactly…. why!?

+ TheTominator007 on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:11 am said:

How is Detroit not an option for Most Anticipated?

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:45 am said:

Added!

+ NextGenGamer2008 on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:19 am said:

The real question is why even list any other games at all with Red Dead Redemption 2 as an option? :)

+ Welmosca on December 26th, 2016 at 8:30 am said:

@ NextGenGamer2008 – Lol you can’t be serious,gotta love these rockstar sheeps.

+ BOTTLEZ on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:13 am said:

Looking forward to the future of VR gaming. SONY is amazing !

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:51 am said:

Thank you! Lots of great VR titles on the list already, can’t wait to see what else devs do with the platform.

+ Dragonslayer_023 on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:59 am said:

And I still had to write-in Werewolves Within. Definitely the most fun I’ve had with VR.

+ Its--Casper-- on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:30 am said:

I seriously cannot wait for The Last Of Us II!!!!

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:52 am said:

I don’t think any of us can!

+ Soul_of_Ciel on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:54 am said:

Same here Brother/Sister…. The Last of Us made me see gaming beyond Jrpg and adventure games. My #1 game of all time.

+ dvellucci on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:32 am said:

Consider voting for Emily Rose for Best Performance. She lent the real emotional weight to the Uncharted story and hasn’t gotten her due with Nolan North and Troy Baker always overshadowing her. Her scene in the hotel room is one of the most underrated performances in video games this year, in addition to the later chapters when she’s with Nate.

She’s due!

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:49 am said:

Yeah, she was fantastic!

+ morhinapg on December 22nd, 2016 at 11:23 am said:

One of the most “human” performances I’ve seen in a game. Nolan did a fantastic job as well, but Emily really stood out! Only other performance in a game that compares, imo, is Ashley Johnson as Ellie in TLOU.

+ SaMuRaii_89 on December 27th, 2016 at 12:56 pm said:

yea i agree she should get the best performance.

+ calc84maniac on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:48 am said:

Any reason why Steins;Gate 0 got no nominations? Not even for Best Story? I would write it in but there’s really no point at that rate.

+ SeeNoWeevil on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:49 am said:

‘Best Use of PS4 Pro’

Not Bloodborne.

+ joyrul96 on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:00 am said:

Rise of the Tomb Raider should get this for giving the option for 60fps option or 4k option or both option

+ Soul_of_Ciel on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:52 am said:

Anywhere where I saw The Witcher goes automatic….. Plus Uncharted 4 desereve most of them. The hardest part to choose was most anticipated between Horizen Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2, The Last Of Us II, Mass Effect Andromeda and Crash Bandicoot: N sane trilogy… But The Last Of Us made me apreciate gaming… so Im waiting for Part 2!!!!!

+ Bishop_NO2 on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:54 am said:

Eidos Montreal didn’t make Hitman, IO Interactive did.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:59 am said:

Thanks, fixed

+ joyrul96 on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:55 am said:

Most anticipated:

NIOH

+ JulianVD-076 on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:57 am said:

Where is Battlefield 1 in Best story? The war story’s were awesome! :D

+ LeandroDiFini on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:02 am said:

I miss “Best PS Plus Offering” this year. It was the only one that voting felt like it meant something.

+ gohan16ken on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:03 am said:

Given that I do not have a PS4 (I just have a PS3 and PSVita), my best game of 2016 was God of War 3. I rented it from Gamefly and then finished it on PS Now.

+ fecks on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:13 am said:

Hope russia doesn’t hack the voting :P

+ LongFlopper on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:16 am said:

Doom not available for best graphics?

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:43 am said:

Write it in!

+ Dead-Sync on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:18 am said:

Nice! Also shameless plug the PlayStation forums is running a (much smaller) vote as well. Check it out here: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/2016-PlayStation-Forums-Game-Awards/td-p/46088735

Now time to get voting!

+ Eliehsyus_USA on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:19 am said:

How is CD PROJEKT RED not an option for Studio of the Year????

+ kaka_ichigo on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:22 am said:

Sigh…no NieR Automata in Most Anticipated games for 2017. I’m sad

+ Trendy_Kid on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:23 am said:

Jesus, I need an “all” option for Most Anticipated!

+ Dead-Sync on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:26 am said:

I know there is a write-in option, but I found it funny how Death Stranding wasn’t a preset answer. I mean lets be real that will be in the Most Anticipated category for like the next 5 years! :P

+ RiyaadhSeedat99 on December 23rd, 2016 at 2:01 am said:

IKR?! Looking forward to ALL of those games but mainly Red Dead Redemption 2 and TLOU 2. Can’t wait!!!

+ XwingVmanX on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:27 am said:

For Honor for most anticipated!

+ BCBenson on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:31 am said:

Most Anticipated Game?? Death Stranding!

+ YoungBlaise on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:35 am said:

Best Story Senran Kagura Estival Versus
“Come for the Plot, stay for the plot.” – Me 2016

+ SaintValtiel on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:36 am said:

“Best Soundtrack” is a really hard decision to make! So many incredible OSTs, Dark Souls, Abzu, The Last Guardian, man, really hard…

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:43 am said:

An amazing year for music. I voted for Doom!

+ RiyaadhSeedat99 on December 23rd, 2016 at 2:03 am said:

I had to vote UC4. Love the series and love the soundtrack.

+ ColonelOCorn on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:37 am said:

Really looking forward to Persona 5 and Horizon, but what I’m looking forward to the most is…….

Destiny 2

+ JotaEseTheGeek on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:45 am said:

I mostly wrote in Skyrim for any category it could fit because this year was really crap for new games.

+ Welmosca on December 26th, 2016 at 8:32 am said:

Ha the irony in your comment.

+ TraderZed on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:46 am said:

Inside across the board.

I’m still totally surprised at how unrepresented this game has been on this years “Best of” lists.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:54 am said:

One of the year’s best for sure!

+ ColonelWEKurtz on December 22nd, 2016 at 12:17 pm said:

I think Inside is represented fairly well. I played the demo, and thought it looked pretty nice. But overall, it didn’t blow me away. It’s not going to make the very top of my favorite games this year.

For me, it’s Doom.

It’s been a long time coming for someone to release a fast-paced FPS again, and id knocked it out of the frickin park.
    Everything about the game is great- all of its design- game, mechanics, art, levels, sound, music. It’s so lovely. The multiplayer, sadly, is where this game is lacking, but it doesn’t matter much to me (although I do like playing online multiplayer).

Anyways…It’s hard to really do game of the year stuff, because people tend to vote for their favorite genre and tend not to vote for their least favorite genre. I mean, after all, you can easily argue that Playdead knocked it out of the part, too, with the design and art and sound and music…

+ Kid_Loser on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:54 am said:

Wish you guys put Werewolves Within for best VR game. It’s extremely hard for a game to win in the Other category. It deserves it, too.
Hope Enter the Gungeon gets best Indie. I cant stop playing it. Another great year. Hope 2017 is even better :)

+ NO36MO on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:07 am said:

For the best soundtrack voted for Life is Strange!

+ Skyz3dge on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:16 am said:

For Best Performance I think you should add Ruffin Prentiss as Marcus from Watch Dogs 2 to the poll, he did great!

+ Valyrious on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:30 am said:

Wow, spent a good 15 minutes trying to decide between God of War and Mass Effect Andromeda as my most anticipated game. :(

+ xFJORDSONx on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:31 am said:

none of the options appear beneath the category, anyone else experiencing this?

+ Stoph on December 22nd, 2016 at 11:41 am said:

Turn off (or pause) Ghostery, if you’re using it. That’s what made it show up for me.

+ JeVyy on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:32 am said:

The last of us 2 been the most anticipated game since 2014

+ DENSHADEI on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:33 am said:

I felt bad for my choices because I ledt a lof of good games behind, what an excellent year for the Playstation Nation, Here to a better 2017! Cheers!

+ Fuhr31 on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:35 am said:

I havent played any of the games on the “best ps4 game” list.

+ ff7fan321 on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:35 am said:

Voted Final Fantasy XV for most of them. It may not be a “traditional” Final Fantasy as most fans wanted but as a game it was rather amazing and with Square having just added more content and more coming. It’s going to be even better.

Most anticipated was so hard between Crash Trilogy and Final Fantasy VII Remake…but hey, look at my name. Sorry Crash! I still love you!

+ fresh_prince7571 on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:36 am said:

God Of War is def the most anticipated game! Just look at those views for the gameplay they showed at the e3 trailer.

+ nirojan45 on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:37 am said:

Best Soundtrack: Final Fantasy XV
Best Visuals: Final Fantasy XV
Best Multiplayer: Overwatch
Best Post-Release Content: Hitman
Most Innovative: The Last Guardian
Most Anticipated: The Last of Us Part II
Studio of the Year: Naughty Dog (Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End)

+ remanutd5 on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:39 am said:

The Last Guardian is my favorite game of the year and probably of this generation so yea i chose The Last Guardian for everything but visuals and God of War is my most anticipated title.

+ plingativator on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:41 am said:

Surprised that Hyper Light Drifter didn’t show up in Best Soundtrack. My pick would have been between that and Oxenfree.

Also, The Tomorrow Children definitely should have been listed for Best Visuals. The game looks incredible and has a very unique style.

+ TraderZed on December 22nd, 2016 at 11:33 am said:

Ahhhh so true. That soundtrack was incredible.

+ Nikedominater198 on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:50 am said:

GTA V and WATH DOGS 2 best game

+ Summerwine41 on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:54 am said:

Voted for Dark Souls where I could. By far the best game of the year for me. Most anticipated is Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite. Cannot wait to kick butt as Captain Marvel!

+ olliebear66t on December 22nd, 2016 at 11:25 am said:

I voted Furi best ps4 game, best indie game and best soundtrack. Completely overlooked. Absolutely fantastic game.

+ aralustun on December 22nd, 2016 at 11:25 am said:

DICE should earn every awards.
Sorry…

+ Welmosca on December 26th, 2016 at 8:33 am said:

Why if they don’t deserve?

+ LEFT__4__DEAD__2 on December 22nd, 2016 at 11:50 am said:

Crypton Future Media + Japan Studios + Team Ninja are all very good :)

+ Asshawk on December 22nd, 2016 at 11:50 am said:

Almost all of my choices were filled out in the other section. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II and Yakuza 6 were the only things actually listed on the polls that I voted for.

+ TehFineztJokerX on December 22nd, 2016 at 12:06 pm said:

For my Most Anticipated Game I chose Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy. Everything else is dead to me lol. Nah but that was the one and only game that had my heart racing, made me yell in excitement and could not wait for it. TLoUp2, not so much but looking forward to it. Persona 5 was my most Anticipated way before the remaster showed up but sorry P5, the Trilogy won me over.

Please Sony, if you’re reading this, have them remaster the first three Spyro games as well and when I die, my soul may forever rest in peace.

+ Syrlis on December 22nd, 2016 at 12:09 pm said:

It’s too obvious to be anticipating Last of Us: Part 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroit: Become Human, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice.

I’m still patiently waiting for Rockstar to debut the one game everyone seems to have forgotten! Agent

+ Shibi32 on December 22nd, 2016 at 5:44 pm said:

Rockstar is just waiting until E3 2017 to reveal Agent, they want Final Fantasy XV, The Last Guardian and Nioh released first so they can be the longest awaited game when it gets re-revealed.

+ bertraar2 on December 22nd, 2016 at 12:59 pm said:

Spyro A Hero’s Tail on PS2 on PS4 anyone?

+ DynamicSun on December 22nd, 2016 at 1:06 pm said:

You guys forgot about Tekken 7. But yeah I’m really looking forward to Tekken 7’s release on the PS4 in early 2017. And I hope that there will be a PS4 Pro version of it as well!

PAGE 1 2 3