PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Dec 22

31623320142_287026902f_o

Polls Closed: PlayStation.Blog Game of the Year 2016 Awards

31623320142_287026902f_o

Justin Massongill's Avatar Posted by on Dec 22, 2016 // Social Media Manager, SIEA

The end of the year is upon us, and that can mean only one thing — well, actually it means lots of things. The thing that it means in the context of this post, though, is that PlayStation.Blog’s annual Game of the Year awards are upon us!

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2016

2016 kept us busy, opening with the long-awaited release of The Witness and ending with the similarly long-awaited launches of Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian. The rest of the year was punctuated by hit after hit: Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, Inside, Overwatch, Dark Souls III, Titanfall 2, Doom, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Battlefield 1, Rise of the Tomb Raider… the list goes on!

Anyway, it’s time to make this official. Starting right now, the polls are open for the PlayStation.Blog Game of the Year 2016 awards. We’ll keep them open until the end of the year — that’s 11:59pm Pacific on December 31 — then tally up the votes and present the winners.

Don’t see your pick in our list of nominees? Never fear! There’s a write-in option for each category, so feel free to cast your vote for whichever game you think deserves the Platinum.

But that’s enough from me… let’s vote!

Best PS4 Game
Best PS Vita Game
Best Independent Game
Best Use of PS4 Pro
Best PlayStation VR Game
Best Story
Best Performance
Best Soundtrack
Best Visuals
Best Multiplayer
Best Post-Release Content

Editor’s note: In years past, we’ve called this category “Best Expansion”… but that felt a bit limiting. This year, we’re expanding the category to recognize all forms of post-release content: DLC & add-ons, in-game special events, new modes, new episodes, new characters, the works. When you vote, take it all into consideration!

Most Innovative
Most Anticipated

Editor’s note: As in previous years, any game that has previously won a “Most Anticipated” award is not eligible to win a Trophy this year. That said, you can still vote for previous winners Horizon Zero Dawn and Persona 5, and we will call them out appropriately in the winners post should they place.

Furthermore, this year we are removing the year from this category. That means you can vote for any game that is currently announced, even if it doesn’t have a release date or year set. Go nuts!

*Previous winner

Studio of the Year

+ clupula668 on December 22nd, 2016 at 1:23 pm said:

For as many problems as it has, no game has been as fun for me this year as Final Fantasy XV, so I voted for it for game of the year. Street Fighter V for best multiplayer. I also was going to give that best post-release content, because, to be honest, it was pretty horrible upon release but since September has been great fun, BUT then I saw the Witcher 3 on there, and nobody does it like CD Projekt. If only they would release Witcher 1 & 2 for PS4…

As for what I am looking forward to the most, it was a toss up between Yakuza 6, Persona 5, and the Final Fantasy VII Remake. Had to go with the Remake, because that was the only title on there that, when it was announced, my girlfriend rushed to the room to see if I was okay, from the gasping noise I made.

+ ScannableDrop on December 22nd, 2016 at 1:57 pm said:

Best OST is Final Fantasy XIV, hands down. BOW DOWN OVER DWELLER! Under the weight! Or that Powerman 5000 song for Sephirot. Turn away, disobey! Say my name. Say my name! SEPH-I-ROT! Soooo good. lol No Nier:Automata for most anticipated. :c Wrote it in though. <3

+ PhadedWun on December 22nd, 2016 at 2:38 pm said:

I voted Dragon Quest Builders for PS4 game of the year; I was pretty surprised it was not even on the list and I had to choose “other”.

To be completely honest, this may be the most disappointed in a gaming year I have been in a long time.

+ Yakushi_X on December 22nd, 2016 at 3:16 pm said:

Sword Art Online Hollow Realization The Last Guardian and Ni No Kuni 2 Level-5 FTW

+ gameman15 on December 22nd, 2016 at 4:18 pm said:

Doom is like my favorite game of 2016. Way looking forward to Insomniac’s Spider-Man game (hopefully they’ll release more info on that game).

+ varmintx on December 22nd, 2016 at 4:22 pm said:

Hardest choice was soundtrack as there were so many incredible ones to choose from. Easiest was visuals as, to my eyes, Uncharted 4 was definitely the prettiest.

+ TheViper_RKO_619 on December 22nd, 2016 at 4:32 pm said:

VOTED FOR YOOKA LAYLEE AS MOST ANTICIPATED GAME AS I LOVED THE TOYBOX DEMO PLAYTONIC BRILL GAME ROLL ON APRIL

+ afakking on December 22nd, 2016 at 4:44 pm said:

Halo here..but for now use ps4pro is a best way play the game for hardcore game..uncharted 4 n battlefield 1 is my favorite..best game I very like..best graphics, best performance..tq..

+ Fuepepe on December 22nd, 2016 at 5:32 pm said:

I don’t understand how Cold Steel 2 isn’t a contender for soundtrack and story. Falcom trumps most AAA games in this department. :(

+ VGJunky on December 22nd, 2016 at 7:36 pm said:

They really do

+ Seluhir on December 23rd, 2016 at 5:24 am said:

I put ffxv for soundtrack but that’s just because it has the soundtracks for every previous ff game in it… and it’s hard to beat that. But in terms of story, ya, I wrote in CS2 as an ‘other’.

+ EarthtoJulien on December 22nd, 2016 at 6:34 pm said:

FFXV

+ VGJunky on December 22nd, 2016 at 7:36 pm said:

I think Nier Automata should be an option for most anticipated!

+ holicek on December 22nd, 2016 at 7:49 pm said:

A very underwhelming year compared to 2015. But 2017 could shape up to be amazing, so much to look forward to.

+ Bigbangattack28 on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:11 pm said:

Best story: OBVIOUSLY BATMAN TELLTALE

+ dhafer210 on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:18 pm said:

FIFA 17

+ jgr9 on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:20 pm said:

lol Made me laugh that Trico is in there for best performance…. Animation? Sure! but…..

+ WastelandHound on December 22nd, 2016 at 8:39 pm said:

If you’re wondering who just voted for Oxenfree to sweep pretty much everything… that was me. (Erin Yvette not getting nominated for Best Performance is criminal!)

+ nanaki85 on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:17 pm said:

Hello, I’m using Mozilla Firefox and the vote option does not show up, only in Google Chrome.

+ gor1llap1mp on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:33 pm said:

Such a banner year!

+ Skeetlejuice on December 22nd, 2016 at 9:39 pm said:

So how about some sales to make these votes mean something…

Also no option to vote for plus offerings, gee I wonder why what a mystery.

If you own a pro and you are not giving the respect games like rise of the tomb raider are offering for support you don’t deserve it.

If it wasn’t for uncharted 4 scratching my treasure island / Indy hopes and dreams I’d have given Lara my game every year award. (Playing through it now just a shame it was delayed a year for PS4)

God of War – mad props to Cory from his god of war 2 days, worked on mad max stuff now making this game. redemption 2 and last of us sequel will be good especially red it’s been in the works since the first wrapped. However as a father to a young son I am most excited for a Nordic father simulator and have high hopes for what this game might be. I have a weird feeling last part 2 is not going to be on the level of one story wise but still it’s ND so it will be a buy, it’s far off though guys let’s be real.

Delay station continues. Great games when they finally come out.

+ brn-dn on December 22nd, 2016 at 10:14 pm said:

Choosing Most Anticipated was hard. Of course anything Rockstar has coming (Red Dead Redemption 2) is a clear choice but I didn’t vote for that since it will probably have enough votes anyway. I went with Spider-Man to support Insomniac. I also wanted to vote for Crash but truthfully I’m really just supporting that game for a better chance of us getting a Spyro trilogy.

+ Skater_Ricky on December 22nd, 2016 at 11:54 pm said:

No mention of Gran Turismo Sport for best tech for PlayStation 4 Pro… Yeah I had to fill that one in.

+ JudoDrewbe on December 23rd, 2016 at 12:58 am said:

So many anticipated games! Hard to vote for just one red dead, crash or the last of us. Can’t wait

+ dodgedoors on December 23rd, 2016 at 2:06 am said:

The lack of salt and sanctuary on these lists is very sad. My fav ps4 game of the year.

+ HelloDentist on December 23rd, 2016 at 2:11 am said:

My way of voting is: Shiren>REZ Infinite>The Last Guardian>Darkest Dungeon.

+ rafenuel on December 23rd, 2016 at 3:36 am said:

Voted for Yakuza 6 as most anticipated game.
I hope Final Fantasy XV wins best game and OST, Shimomura’s music is fantastic.

+ ZanyZarly on December 23rd, 2016 at 4:45 am said:

No “Rush Of Blood” under Best VR game? Hang your heads in shame! That was BY FAR the best PSVR game.

+ Seluhir on December 23rd, 2016 at 5:23 am said:

no overall goty or ps3 goty? Disappointing, I can’t vote for the game that most truly deserves GotY then: Trails of Cold Steel 2.

But at least I can put it in the ‘best story’ category by using other. None of the other games come CLOSE in terms of story to that. Everything else is a distant second… and that says a lot since there were quite a few really solid stories this year.

+ jogosegames1000 on December 23rd, 2016 at 5:33 am said:

Vote Now: PlayStation.Blog Game of the Year 2016,2017 Awards

Best PS4 Game: METAL GEAR SURVIVE,Yakuza 6
Best PS Vita Game:
Best Independent Game: METAL GEAR SURVIVE,Yakuza 6
Best Use of PS4 Pro: METAL GEAR SURVIVE,Yakuza 6,Pes 2017
Best PlayStation VR Game: Gantz: O
Best Story: METAL GEAR SURVIVE,Yakuza 6
Best Performance: Quiet “Recrutar” Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Haruka Sawamura “CANTORA oriental Jpop” Yakuza 5,6
Best Soundtrack: canção intitulada “Quiet’s Theme” Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, canção intitulada “Kazuma Past Revealed/I’m…Haruka?” Yakuza 5,6
Best Visuals: METAL GEAR SURVIVE,Yakuza 6
Best Multiplayer: METAL GEAR SURVIVE, Yakuza 6
Best Post-Release Content: METAL GEAR SURVIVE, Yakuza 6
Most Innovative: METAL GEAR SURVIVE,Yakuza 6
Most Anticipated: METAL GEAR SURVIVE,
Studio of the Year: Konami (METAL GEAR SOLID V), Sega (Yakuza 6)

+ jogosegames1000 on December 23rd, 2016 at 5:34 am said:

Vote Now: PlayStation.Blog Game of the Year 2016,2017 Awards

Best PS4 Game: METAL GEAR SURVIVE,Yakuza 6
Best PS Vita Game:
Best Independent Game: METAL GEAR SURVIVE,Yakuza 6
Best Use of PS4 Pro: METAL GEAR SURVIVE,Yakuza 6,Pes 2017
Best PlayStation VR Game: Gantz: O
Best Story: METAL GEAR SURVIVE,Yakuza 6
Best Visuals: METAL GEAR SURVIVE,Yakuza 6
Best Multiplayer: METAL GEAR SURVIVE, Yakuza 6
Best Post-Release Content: METAL GEAR SURVIVE, Yakuza 6
Most Innovative: METAL GEAR SURVIVE,Yakuza 6
Most Anticipated: METAL GEAR SURVIVE,
Studio of the Year: Konami (METAL GEAR SOLID V), Sega (Yakuza 6)

VOTEM VOTEM

+ Radeon9 on December 23rd, 2016 at 5:59 am said:

Why wasn’t werewolves within in the multiplayer category? It’s one of my favorite games

+ Dr_Minh_pro on December 23rd, 2016 at 6:23 am said:

I pick FFXV for most of the poll. For most anticipated I choose Ni no kuni II and hope there will be a released of Ni no kuni 1 on PS4.

+ II-JON-RAMBO-II on December 23rd, 2016 at 7:16 am said:

I just wanted to say I cant wait for Shenmue III as its a game ive been wanting to play for so long and i am greatful for Sony on helping bring it to life thankyou very much Sony.

Just wondering though, if you can afford to make a little donation to the devs as they still need more money if the game is going to be anything like the first 2 games. I have donated over $100 but i know they need more.

Please Sony find a way to help them raise more money so it can be the game everyone has waited for, thanks.

+ Pete41608 on December 23rd, 2016 at 10:03 am said:

Wanted to vote for TLoU II or Spider-Man for Most Anticipated, but I just couldn’t.

I know it’s not Playstation, but I had to vote for Breath of the Wild.

It would be doing a disservice personally if I didn’t.

In fairness, I am looking forward to both those games though.

+ CammyPhazon on December 23rd, 2016 at 10:58 am said:

Needs more Nier Automata in choices. It’s the one game I truly anticipate.

+ squints7 on December 23rd, 2016 at 12:06 pm said:

Why no option for vote for Until Dawn: Rush of Blood? Seems very strange, especially considering that the original Until Dawn is one of the very few amazing PS4 exclusives.

+ Dark_Yoda_313 on December 23rd, 2016 at 12:16 pm said:

No Paragon in the PS4 Pro poll?

+ TomDobo92 on December 23rd, 2016 at 12:29 pm said:

No CD PROJEKT RED for Studio of the year ?

+ PK_Haseo on December 23rd, 2016 at 2:52 pm said:

What? No luv 4 “NieR: Automata”

+ janoc7 on December 24th, 2016 at 1:32 am said:

Y’all done messed up by not including Tethered for Best VR Game.

+ Reverseshift on December 24th, 2016 at 2:41 am said:

gravity rush 2 for most anticipated game. UC4 an naughty dog got a lot of my picks.

+ shenmuenextgen on December 24th, 2016 at 3:13 am said:

Shenmue 3 as the most anticipated.

+ davidstubbs on December 24th, 2016 at 8:38 am said:

Dark Souls III Game of the Year all the way!

World of Final Fantasy best Vita game

+ Kaelum on December 24th, 2016 at 11:37 am said:

I voted for Werewolves Within for VR. OMG, this game is seriously addicting. I just finished a 12 hour round.

+ juanxD230 on December 24th, 2016 at 1:42 pm said:

Best game of ps4 rainbow six siege

+ i_KiLL_U_2000 on December 24th, 2016 at 5:49 pm said:

Battlefield 1, Mafia 3, and The last of Us part 2

+ KratosPlays00 on December 24th, 2016 at 7:51 pm said:

Sad I didn’t see Dragonball on here but that’s to be expected
I really couldn’t decide if to vote for KH3 or GOW but I chose my first PlayStation game and that was KH

+ ladyara on December 25th, 2016 at 11:21 am said:

This was a great year for PlayStation and for games, the PSVR is enough to call it a fantastic year

+ SanFranPsycho415 on December 26th, 2016 at 4:19 am said:

SHENMUE 3 for my most anticipated, and the only reason I’m getting a PS4. Hopefully when it comes out, the PS4 will be $150 or less.

+ Welmosca on December 26th, 2016 at 8:26 am said:

You don’t want the game to come out so soon then do ya?…lol.

+ Welmosca on December 26th, 2016 at 8:24 am said:

Got only one thing to say…I laughed when I saw Infinite Warfare on the Best Story section.

And the most anticipated really gave me a hard time this time around.

+ snailpod56 on December 26th, 2016 at 1:16 pm said: