PlayStation VR

Dec 22

31623320142_287026902f_o

Polls Closed: PlayStation.Blog Game of the Year 2016 Awards

31623320142_287026902f_o

Justin Massongill's Avatar Posted by on Dec 22, 2016 // Social Media Manager, SIEA

The end of the year is upon us, and that can mean only one thing — well, actually it means lots of things. The thing that it means in the context of this post, though, is that PlayStation.Blog’s annual Game of the Year awards are upon us!

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2016

2016 kept us busy, opening with the long-awaited release of The Witness and ending with the similarly long-awaited launches of Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian. The rest of the year was punctuated by hit after hit: Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, Inside, Overwatch, Dark Souls III, Titanfall 2, Doom, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Battlefield 1, Rise of the Tomb Raider… the list goes on!

Anyway, it’s time to make this official. Starting right now, the polls are open for the PlayStation.Blog Game of the Year 2016 awards. We’ll keep them open until the end of the year — that’s 11:59pm Pacific on December 31 — then tally up the votes and present the winners.

Don’t see your pick in our list of nominees? Never fear! There’s a write-in option for each category, so feel free to cast your vote for whichever game you think deserves the Platinum.

But that’s enough from me… let’s vote!

Best PS4 Game
Best PS Vita Game
Best Independent Game
Best Use of PS4 Pro
Best PlayStation VR Game
Best Story
Best Performance
Best Soundtrack
Best Visuals
Best Multiplayer
Best Post-Release Content

Editor’s note: In years past, we’ve called this category “Best Expansion”… but that felt a bit limiting. This year, we’re expanding the category to recognize all forms of post-release content: DLC & add-ons, in-game special events, new modes, new episodes, new characters, the works. When you vote, take it all into consideration!

Most Innovative
Most Anticipated

Editor’s note: As in previous years, any game that has previously won a “Most Anticipated” award is not eligible to win a Trophy this year. That said, you can still vote for previous winners Horizon Zero Dawn and Persona 5, and we will call them out appropriately in the winners post should they place.

Furthermore, this year we are removing the year from this category. That means you can vote for any game that is currently announced, even if it doesn’t have a release date or year set. Go nuts!

*Previous winner

Studio of the Year

PAGE 1 2 3

+ AMAZINGalive4327 on December 26th, 2016 at 1:47 pm said:

Best PS4A game Final Fantasy XV, most anticipated game is Yakuza 6, yeah baby

+ xLiKx on December 26th, 2016 at 3:13 pm said:

Persona 5 will be my most anticipated until it freakin’ comes out here.

+ wonderfulvoltair on December 26th, 2016 at 5:14 pm said:

Last of Us Part II hands down most anticipated game.

+ APEX_NOAH416 on December 26th, 2016 at 6:54 pm said:

RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER BETTER THAN UNCHARTED HANDS DOWN ☺

+ Ruben023 on December 26th, 2016 at 8:14 pm said:

Wish I could change my vote, I just played Oxenfree and I think it deserves best independent game and best soundtrack!

+ GODZILLAFAN122 on December 26th, 2016 at 8:25 pm said:

Naughty Dog all the way!!! Cant wait for the Lost Legacy and LoU Pt !!! But I did throw some votes towards Overwatch, I can’t deny how much fun that game is.

+ TomatoDragon on December 26th, 2016 at 9:47 pm said:

Good poll. Only thing I wrote “other’ for, was for Odin Sphere for Vita game of the year.

+ BlongTreyLo on December 26th, 2016 at 10:12 pm said:

FFXV best visuals lets go~ So much details of texture on the environment. Look at a random piece of metal or wall and u see unique markings of dirt and rust. The city were beautiful it almost seems real.

+ Ironlantern92 on December 26th, 2016 at 10:45 pm said:

Why not just give Uncharted 4 every award? :D

+ BandaiNamco209 on December 27th, 2016 at 1:50 am said:

So many good games (≧∇≦)Only 5 games for Most Anticipated.

+ DZI_SSJ4 on December 27th, 2016 at 3:53 am said:

Dark Souls 3 The Best Soundtrack hands down!

+ ynp7 on December 27th, 2016 at 4:39 am said:

Best multiplayer: No Man’s Sky. :p

+ Ashkiin on December 27th, 2016 at 4:43 am said:

Rainbow six siege for multiplayer, no? Seems an important nominee/reference given it’s innovative design and insane yearly growth.

+ SaMuRaii_89 on December 27th, 2016 at 12:49 pm said:

Definately The Last of Us Part 2 for most anticipated game

+ iREVOLTER on December 27th, 2016 at 12:50 pm said:

Ratchet and Clank for President.

pssst, better than Qwark.

+ SAMMICHES25 on December 28th, 2016 at 2:54 pm said:

I can’t believe Bound wasn’t anywhere in this list. Hard choices but Dark Souls 3 and Uncharted 4 are the only games worthy of Goty I think.

+ Purgatori303 on December 28th, 2016 at 5:23 pm said:

Last of Us 2 will probably win most anticipated but Red Dead Redemption 2 is my most anticipated game by far.

+ L337-D4D on December 29th, 2016 at 6:46 pm said:

I looked at the list here and IGN. So many remakes and sequels this year with a few original IP from the big studios.
I put Dreamfall Chapters as my most anticipated game, but there were many I am just as excited to see, like Kingdom Hearts 3, Shenmu 3, Shoppe Keep, Y’s and a game I will pick up over Horizons: Zero Dawn (overhyped), is Elite Dangerous – this is already out on other systems but the game is everything I wanted No Man’s Sky to be, only better graphics.

+ Jdeter123 on December 29th, 2016 at 7:42 pm said:

most Anticipated: kingdom hearts 3 and 2.8 and 1.5+2.5 combo, so hard to choose.

+ Jdeter123 on December 29th, 2016 at 7:43 pm said:

most Anticipated: kingdom hearts 3 and 2.8 and 1.5+2.5 combo, so hard to choose

+ Epic_Assassin606 on December 30th, 2016 at 12:53 am said:

I’m surprised that I Can’t see anyone saying Red Dead Redemption II for Most Anticipated Game, that game was the **** when the first game (or second, depending on how you see it) came out.

+ Epic_Assassin606 on December 30th, 2016 at 12:55 am said:

Also Overwatch is bad so ya

+ Krillinfan on December 30th, 2016 at 6:02 pm said:

Spider-Man easily took Most Anticipated for me. Cannot WAIT to get my hands on that!

+ TheKBGamer123 on December 30th, 2016 at 6:07 pm said:

This was a cool year for gaming at least although it’s had it’s downfalls. (Cough Cough) Mighty No.9 (Cough Cough) No Man’s Sky. But other than all that I hope all of you have a Happy New Year, and let’s hope 2017 is a Great year

+ DOUGH-803 on December 30th, 2016 at 6:14 pm said:

Would love to see battlefield 3 remade for ps4

+ Homilies on December 30th, 2016 at 6:47 pm said:

I just can’t wait for Red Dead Redemption 2

+ KingThrillgore on December 30th, 2016 at 6:56 pm said:

Really hard to not fill in Doom everywhere. I am disappointed that for best performance Elias Toufexis got snubbed for Deus Ex MD. Had to write him in

+ Oyomar18 on December 30th, 2016 at 7:09 pm said:

Final Fantasy all the way!

+ Ipathvvv on December 30th, 2016 at 9:23 pm said:

Battlefield1 is AMAZING, and can’t wait for Crash! Thanks Dice, and naughtydog!

+ joelgutz01 on December 30th, 2016 at 11:03 pm said:

How can you only vote for one game for Most Anticipated Game
God of War
Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us pt.II
And many more

+ drmuffin1080 on December 30th, 2016 at 11:26 pm said:

I think I put Uncharted 4 for everything it was nominated for XD. Just a phenomenal game, loved every bit of it.

+ drmuffin1080 on December 30th, 2016 at 11:27 pm said:

I’m SOOOOOOO hyped for The Last of Us Part II.

+ Deathstew187 on December 31st, 2016 at 7:46 am said:

For me, this was a good year for games. Dark Souls 3, Dishonored 2, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy 15, Uncharted 4, Darkest Dungeon, Titanfall 2, Dragon Quest Builders…. Looking forward to 2017! Any chance I could get more Bloodborne? I’ll even pay for Chalice dungeon updates =]

+ ilikevideogame- on December 31st, 2016 at 9:57 am said:

There were so many great games this year it was hard to decide which should be GOTY. It was easy to decide that Ni No Kuni II is the most anticipated though. The first one is probably my personal favorite out of every game I have played, definitely psyched to hear that it’s coming out!!!

+ Kvng_B246 on December 31st, 2016 at 12:36 pm said:

I voted Uncharted 4:A Thief’s End as the best game of the yearand Titanfall 2 best studio of the year.

+ Kvng_B246 on December 31st, 2016 at 12:38 pm said:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Kvng_B246 on December 31st, 2016 at 12:41 pm said:

I meant Uncharted4 for for best PS4 game

+ cusman on December 31st, 2016 at 2:14 pm said:

Best PS4 Game: Uncharted 4
Best Vita Game: Darkest Dungeon
Most Anticipated: God of War

+ Potter13579 on December 31st, 2016 at 5:37 pm said:

I’m a huge Naughty Dog fan, but even I have to give my most anticipated vote to Crash Bandicoot over The Last of Us: Part II simply because we don’t know enough about it, and plus it’s freaking Crash Bandicoot. Without Crash, PlayStation would not be where it is today.

+ TheGAMERfugitive on December 31st, 2016 at 6:27 pm said:

I’d love to see some more love for The Last Guardian. Yeah the controls were rather un-innovative and Trico was a hard AI to work around for some, but in terms of a game that felt like an ‘experience’, I had to go with that for Best Story (especially considering how much one can read into a lot of its plot and interpret what various things mean subjectively), Best Performance (I got so attached to Trico as a video game character the ending had me in tears), Best Soundtrack/Score (very atmospheric and beautiful), Best Use of PS4 Pro (I didn’t play the game with it, but from some gameplay I saw of it on PS4 Pro, it seemed to work even better than the bog standard PS4, the game isn’t exactly well optimised for the PS4) and also Best Graphics/Visuals (there was so much to gaze in awe at, and the game has such a chill vibe that it never really rushes you past a bit where you should gaze in awe at something).

P.S. I cannot f**king wait for The Last of Us Part II, without any doubt I instantly went for that as Most Anticipated release of 2017, even though I’m really freakin hyped for Spider-Man!

+ Hactarmlg_21 on January 1st, 2017 at 9:05 am said:

Really looking forward for the rest of ffxv dlc to come out also the hype is real with kh 2.8, then just keep waiting for kh3 and ff vii remake. Although God of War seems like it’s gonna be epic with the Norse mythology

+ xplicitrock on January 2nd, 2017 at 3:22 am said:

I guess I missed the poll. Well I would have voted for Uncharted 4 as favorite game of the year. I also really like the PSVR stuff I have gotten to try. Mostly I play older games I have or older year games I didn’t get around to playing when they first came out. But with Uncharted, I make it a point to play it when it first comes out and they delivered another amazing adventure. I was so impressed with the free roaming jeep sections and the hook and the story in general. Just amazing… also loved the ending.

+ Rothnihalias on January 11th, 2017 at 11:34 am said:

Where were the winners announced? I wanted to know the results of this poll. I expected to see them on this blog but so far nothing has been said.

PAGE 1 2 3