Overwatch

Feb 16

Free Multiplayer Week on PS4 Begins February 17

James Hallahan's Avatar Posted by on Feb 16, 2017 // PlayStation Plus

Hey PlayStation Nation. We’re back with another free multiplayer weekend on PS4, but this time, the PS Plus team is extending it a full week. That’s right — one full week of competitive or cooperative play online! This should give you enough time to prestige at least once on Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, right?

Starting this Friday, February 17, you, your friends, your next door neighbor — everyone — will be able to access the online multiplayer modes in any PS4 game that you own without a PlayStation Plus subscription.

Free online multiplayer access begins February 17 at 12:01 AM Pacific and runs to Thursday, February 23 at 11:59 PM Pacific. Hop on to PSN during the free week with your favorite multiplayer game — no membership commitment is required during this period.

More info on PlayStation Plus offerings, such as free PlayStation Plus monthly games, exclusive member discounts, online game saves, and more, can be found here.

Enjoy!

PAGE 1 2

+ Dramlek on February 16th, 2017 at 8:10 am said:

Is it really a free week? Last time it said “free weekend” and it was more like “free couple of hours”. Reached lvl 15 on multiplayer (4 hours) or lvl 3 on Zombies (2 games) and you’re done! If it’s limited by lvl I not even downloading it.

James Hallahan's Avatar

+ James Hallahan on February 16th, 2017 at 9:39 am said:

TomCatt is correct — You can play online with your friends, but games are sold separately. It is a good time to practice your 360noscopes. Good luck and have fun :)

+ TomCatt420 on February 16th, 2017 at 8:15 am said:

It’s only free multiplayer not free games. If you don’t have a Playstation Plus subscription and can’t play online then you’ll be able to for the week. You have to already own the game. Don’t confuse it with Overwatch Free Weekend or anything like that.

+ wargasm121 on February 16th, 2017 at 1:40 pm said:

So Xbox one is having the same weekend but microsoft is also giving away rocket league and NBA 2k17 for free. Any free games from sony?

+ geesmith803 on February 16th, 2017 at 4:26 pm said:

No bs it was for like two hours and that was all

+ NadirX2003 on February 16th, 2017 at 9:08 pm said:

I’m trying to play online but it keeps asking for ps plus. What’s going on?

+ Harsh086 on February 16th, 2017 at 11:39 pm said:

It is not working for me I tried to start GTA online but it shows u don’t have ps plus. Plz see to it

+ Morimaru505 on February 17th, 2017 at 3:10 am said:

when it well start cuz im here playing watch dogs and it still want ps plus its fep 17 and nothing

+ helaly666 on February 17th, 2017 at 1:30 pm said:

So if I open PlayStation I will have psn plus or I must do something first to get free psn plus free weekend ?

+ JValentine81 on February 17th, 2017 at 5:42 pm said:

I can’t find it :(

+ Kevin_Tanoto19 on February 19th, 2017 at 6:44 am said:

It only last 2 days for me. What’s the problem here? Ain’t it suppose to be a week?

+ bigBstacks1 on February 19th, 2017 at 7:57 am said:

I think Sony would get more people on playstation if they made online Gameing FREE like they did with ps3 Nintendo is heading in the right direction why don’t you?

Something to think about.

+ canttouchthephil on February 20th, 2017 at 6:43 am said:

So, I might be the only one but, ever since this started I can’t play online or get into a chat at all. I can still sign into PSN and use every service except online play. Please fix asap

+ kadecham on February 20th, 2017 at 8:09 pm said:

Why are we paying to play online like we are already paying for Internet games and a PlayStation like I still love y’all and all but plz just think about this for a sec bc I remember when it was free and fun to play with friends without paying 30 dollars just to play online for 3 months and 60 dollars for 12 months

+ ShadowCrowMan on February 16th, 2017 at 8:46 am said:

Its funny PlayStation and xbox are having a free weekend on the same weekend lol

James Hallahan's Avatar

+ James Hallahan on February 16th, 2017 at 9:40 am said:

Unplanned but serendipitous. Have a good time and see you online :)

+ Biopunk-X on February 16th, 2017 at 9:36 am said:

That’s maybe ’cause there are not enough players on infinite warfare as they expected, and it’s sponsored by activision, or infinity ward…
    I love call of duty, but even I’m tired of buying a new cod every november for a fortune… Won’t buy it, i’ll rather wait for treyarch’s release next year.

+ Mega_Rag on February 16th, 2017 at 8:26 pm said:

So will the games GTA 5, Titanfall 2, Overwatch, & Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare be free multiplayer or just Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare?

+ rickyrack on February 17th, 2017 at 7:34 am said:

They are trolling

+ perrandy on February 16th, 2017 at 8:52 am said:

make it permanent,sony you can add some other thing for plus later on

+ Dnilox on February 16th, 2017 at 3:15 pm said:

I’m actually glad to see this franchise going down, offering “free” weekends.. I used to be a hardcore COD player specially online, but then they started chopping every version into tiny expensive DLC’s, you have to pay half of what the console costs to just start enjoying what has become an awful game in recent years.

The PS4 is the best home console ever, with a growing catalog and multiplayer games without the cost of an eye.. Just look at Rocket League, GTA V, Bloodborne and Souls games.

I honestly don’t mind paying 50 bucks a year for PS+, with free games every month and solid voice chat experience (I know you don’t need plus for that).

Just.. please don’t make those awful COD bundles and hardware themed.. things..

Oh, and we’re waiting for Hot Shots Golf on PS4! Bring it already!!!!!

+ jameskutty on February 18th, 2017 at 9:18 pm said:

Yeah we need psplus to play online even we have wifi

+ Devilicious911 on February 16th, 2017 at 8:53 am said:

If it free then sure it not worth playing. But drop the price and people might buy it.

+ KidCommando on February 16th, 2017 at 8:54 am said:

STORE UPDATE – Bring it back!

yay, a free week.

+ Jeria on February 16th, 2017 at 8:55 am said:

Please release Modern Warfare remastered as a standalone. Current solution is NOT for the players.

+ KBG29 on February 16th, 2017 at 9:06 am said:

Very nice. $249.99 PS4 promotion, and a free online week. Way to go SIE!

Hope this helps bring many more people to the PlayStation Ecosystem over the next week.

+ four24twenty on February 16th, 2017 at 9:12 am said:

Will Shareplay work as well for those without a Plus subscription?

James Hallahan's Avatar

+ James Hallahan on February 16th, 2017 at 9:41 am said:

Great question! Only Online Multiplayer will be available for free during the Free Week time period.

+ legalizebud4207 on February 16th, 2017 at 11:36 am said:

just bought the ps4 2 weeks ago was very excited been tryin to get 1 for awhile now. so was very disapointed to find out u have to download n install every game which takes up all the memory n y did they change it like tht u never had to download the game onto the console before (smh) then i try to go online n find out u cant even do tht nemore without payin an arm n leg so i buy the 60$ playstation plus to play online to find out i cant even play with any of my friends without having an ethernet cord hooked up wifi wont let u join in with friends (smh) n on top of everything thts wrong with the ps4 now they wanna offer a free month of service wen i jus paid 60$ for a year thanks sony

+ patercake on February 16th, 2017 at 12:00 pm said:

I think you need to stop smoking so much ganja.

You still get the free games by paying for PSN. This is only 1 week of free play out of a year. Installing games: what did you think you had to do with a modern games console?!

+ RoughPutter on February 17th, 2017 at 5:16 am said:

Not sure if this is a troll or not, but you’re wrong on multiple fronts here. You did have to install ps3 games to your system, this is nothing new. You can do everything while connected to wifi provided you have a decent router. And this is a free week of multiplayer, not a free month. Also if you already have plus, this will benefit you in no way.

+ Big_G_Freeman on February 19th, 2017 at 11:22 pm said:

Never play online games with a wifi connection, you are ruining everyone else’s fun causing the game to lag. You have to install modern games regardless of platform. That’s how games have worked for a very long time.

+ MarshKitKat on February 16th, 2017 at 11:58 am said:

So that’s for any and all online games? Or just for Call of duty?

+ BlocksMC on February 16th, 2017 at 3:45 pm said:

All games

+ patercake on February 16th, 2017 at 12:02 pm said:

This is great as I don’t usually play online – will be able to dip toes in the water with GTAV online and see what’s been happening for the past (is it 2?) years… Excited! Shame I just sold Uncharted 4. Also: Battlefield 4 here I come!

+ quackingcow33 on February 16th, 2017 at 12:24 pm said:

I love PlayStation and have been with them since the ps2. I have a ps4 I always go on and got PlayStation Plus because I need it to play online. But to see PlayStation charging for online kind of makes me sad, even though I know why. Xbox has always charged for online even though servers are free and now PlayStation is getting so much money from this. For people mad at PS for the forced money online experience, go complain about it to xbox.

+ nelson_amc on February 16th, 2017 at 12:30 pm said:

So this is for COD IW only? if want to play other games online I won’t be able to? :s

+ CDN_Nuisance on February 18th, 2017 at 7:32 pm said:

Its only to play online without paying. You must own the games that you want to play.

+ Randinator-_001 on February 16th, 2017 at 12:32 pm said:

Amazing news Sony keep up the great work! Also let us change our PSN username, thanks!

+ Gunhunter506 on February 16th, 2017 at 2:04 pm said:

Been Sony family. For yrs very happy

+ cusman on February 16th, 2017 at 2:14 pm said:

Please make PS+ not required for online play on PS4. The Vita and PS3 don’t require it and Steam doesn’t require it. The value of PS+ is all the other things it gives, so requiring it for online play really isn’t necessary and while I have no issue paying for PS+ (have since it came out on PS3), I know too many people that will not upgrade to a PS4 because they don’t want to have to pay to play online (principal of issue, not a cost thing to them).

+ cusman on February 16th, 2017 at 2:16 pm said:

You went from free multiplayer weekend, to free multiplayer week. Let’s get it to be months and years and indefinitely (like Steam and Sony consoles before PS4, Nintendo consoles before Switch, and all those Mobile gaming devices).

+ SpooNManX on February 16th, 2017 at 3:38 pm said:

Remember the good old days when every week was “Free Multiplayer Week”? Heh

I do wish they would address why they stopped doing the weekly PSN Store updates though.
Maybe they don’t have enough people to take care of it? I’ll do it for them if they give me the weekly rundown!

+ BlocksMC on February 16th, 2017 at 3:45 pm said:

During the event, will any current PlayStation Plus™ user’s membership be paused?

+ jfardus on February 16th, 2017 at 4:58 pm said:

Is it weird that in this website it says it starts from 17 to 23, but playstation sent me an email saying that it starts on the 22 till 27, I am really confused
Anyone else get an email?

+ jfardus on February 16th, 2017 at 5:02 pm said:

O Wait it’s 22 to 26 not 27

+ MonsterMan2734 on February 16th, 2017 at 5:36 pm said:

I would love for this to happen more often, Like twice a month? Maybe Extend the playstation membership for those who subscribe all the worth for their money. I want you at Sony and your PlayStation division to earn a profit but some people I’ve seen are feeling a little cheated by this. However, this is a good idea to have free multiplayer though. Love everyone at PlayStation and Sony in general! Let’s all continue to Game On! Greatness Awaits and it comes from Small Beginnings! lol ;) :) #UnchartedReference

+ GOODKyle on February 16th, 2017 at 6:02 pm said:

I remember when everyone could play for free on a PlayStation console all the time…

+ ERGOPROXY-DECAY on February 16th, 2017 at 7:21 pm said:

No big deal, been a plus member all my life.

+ RoughPutter on February 17th, 2017 at 5:21 am said:

So you’re what, 7? Pretty sweet your parents thought a plus account for you was a good idea when you were a newborn.

+ native_blunt18 on February 17th, 2017 at 1:28 am said:

How does this work? Is it working for anyone yet.. tried playing an online game & didn’t work for me

+ whippi617ngyoass on February 17th, 2017 at 1:33 am said:

Bologna! I’ve been trying to play Madden live but nope…..still can’t.

+ fladok on February 17th, 2017 at 4:19 am said:

Tried to play Rocket League online this morning and it doesn’t work, it ask me to subscribe to psplus

+ Legend2JZ on February 17th, 2017 at 4:27 am said:

I didn’t read every comment but read a few of the complaints about not being able to play games. It’s a free week of PS4 Plus+ Online Multi-Player and Im assuming the other perks. COD Banner is sort of misleading although on the bottom right says ‘Games Sold Separately. For PS4 Only.” So you must own the game. This month they have Little Big Planet 3 for free with PS4+ which is a good online game for free especially if you have children or just enjoy MP funny games. Anyways unless you don’t play online at all I always assumed that majority of people with PS4’s had Playstation Plus already. Either way enjoy and everyone have a good week! ☺

+ NoKeys on February 17th, 2017 at 4:32 am said:

I think the person who has the job to activate The Free Multiplayer Week forgot to press the button.

James Hallahan's Avatar

+ James Hallahan on February 17th, 2017 at 9:36 am said:

You just were to quick on the draw. This is live and available now. Have fun & Happy Friday.

+ PERU-isaac769 on February 17th, 2017 at 4:51 am said:

What time the free online starts? Its 8:00am where i live and i cant play free online yet. (GMT -5)

James Hallahan's Avatar

+ James Hallahan on February 17th, 2017 at 9:37 am said:

Your 8AM is our 4AM. It’s live now though — enjoy!

+ GMFCO311 on February 17th, 2017 at 5:06 am said:

So it’s 6am MT 2/17/17 and still no FREE MP!!! WTF Sony???

+ WorseArtist07 on February 17th, 2017 at 5:18 am said:

I’m trying to play titanfall 2 multiplayer but I’m still being brought to the PS plus menu. What’s going on?

+ rickyrack on February 17th, 2017 at 7:20 am said:

We deserve 2 weeks free now

+ EmperorKorea on February 17th, 2017 at 7:49 am said:

Yo, it doesn’t work. Can you guy do anything right?

+ MDmaniac on February 17th, 2017 at 8:09 am said:

Ha my ps plus ran out 2 days ago, I guess I timed it just right and now I dont have to re up 60 bucks for another week!

+ ErickCortorreal2 on February 17th, 2017 at 8:52 am said:

There are some discounts for PS+ member at buying games. A non PS+ member will have those discounts with this free week?

+ Lord_Orpheo on February 17th, 2017 at 9:35 am said:

Is this a tease to us getting free multiplayer back this E3?

+ BrandonBlake02 on February 17th, 2017 at 9:47 am said:

Im in south africa trying to play online but its still telling me i need ps plus

+ Zeeshanshaikh7 on February 17th, 2017 at 10:13 am said:

Cannot play FIFA ultimate team , it asks me to get PS plus , PlayStation ?

+ Zeeshanshaikh7 on February 17th, 2017 at 10:08 am said:

Can i play FIFA 17 ultimate team during this weekend ?

+ CDN_Nuisance on February 18th, 2017 at 7:37 pm said:

I would think that you should be able To play ultimate team, but that could cost you some money to build a team. Maybe try Online Seasons. That costs nothing and it puts you against other teams with similar ratings.

+ NJGreco21 on February 17th, 2017 at 11:38 am said:

How do I play these online multiplayer games? When I go to them in the PS store they are still listed their original price, and I cannot find the demos to download to try to play. Help please

+ GWalcott on February 17th, 2017 at 5:38 pm said:

You usually have to be a PS plus subscriber to play online. Seeing that most games require you to be online it’s like you’re paying Sony to play them. To answer your question, the games aren’t free, just the ability to play them online is free. For a week >:(

+ damann28 on February 17th, 2017 at 2:04 pm said:

how bot give us permament online multiplayer

+ damann28 on February 17th, 2017 at 2:05 pm said:

*how about

+ aceboympk on February 17th, 2017 at 4:22 pm said:

Ok, I’m wondering if other users are having the same problem. After selecting the banner to play for free this week, I am navigated to the PS Store. But, there are only 3 options and none of those are for a free week. I only can choose from 12 Months/3 Months/1 Month. No 1 Week free. So, how do I get to the option to Play for Free for 1 week?

+ damann28 on February 17th, 2017 at 5:24 pm said:

no just play any game online

+ aceboympk on February 18th, 2017 at 6:19 am said:

So, it just started to work all of a sudden. Awesome! Thanks Sony!!!

+ Zyphyerr on February 17th, 2017 at 10:15 pm said:

How its telling me that i have to pay when i add it to the cart? I thought this was free for a week?

+ CaptainSnappy210 on February 17th, 2017 at 10:49 pm said:

Playstation,
I’m trying to play GTA Online and it says “You need Playstation®Plus membership to access GTA Online”.
Is this not working in Asia?

+ RaylightFTW on February 18th, 2017 at 4:06 am said:

So I heard that this applies to only North American players. I am an player from India, so just asking- will we get some days of free playstation plus too? Or did you forget about us? :(

+ Dragonverde_arg on February 18th, 2017 at 5:48 am said:

The same problem in Latin America, I can not go online in commercial games

+ arnez08293 on February 18th, 2017 at 7:34 am said:

So this week am i able to play online with the subscription without paying for anything?

+ lSkyyzl on February 18th, 2017 at 2:52 pm said:

That’s correct yes

+ calimaryseal9188 on February 18th, 2017 at 9:31 am said:

We’re and how do I buy infinite warfare the free week trial or whatever?

+ lSkyyzl on February 18th, 2017 at 2:51 pm said:

Sony ily in all. But Xbox gets games for free like 2K17 and bs like that. Give us free games we’ve heard of, not up and coming games. please reply. thanks

+ Enrique_Gonza635 on February 18th, 2017 at 3:26 pm said:

We already got 2k17 months ago

+ Hazey_Rain on February 18th, 2017 at 2:58 pm said:

will it work in new zealand

+ Enrique_Gonza635 on February 18th, 2017 at 3:05 pm said:

Where can I start playing, I go onto the ps store and it just has the full game and nothing else

+ jameskutty on February 18th, 2017 at 9:22 pm said:

It doesn’t work .I don’t have ps plus then I tried to play multiplayer in call of duty infinite warfare but it didn’t worked

+ daniel__116 on February 19th, 2017 at 12:07 am said:

It doesn’t work for me too , the problem is that they aren’t saying anything about it … almost everyone is saying it’s not working

PAGE 1 2