God of War

Feb 17

Disc Jam Beta Begins Today on PS4

Timothy Rapp's Avatar Posted by on Feb 17, 2017 // Founder, High Horse Entertainment

Hey folks! Tim and Jay here from High Horse Entertainment. We’re thrilled to announce the online beta test for Disc Jam, an action sports game for 1-4 players! During our alpha phase, the top two requests we received were “Please do a PS4 Beta!” and “Please add doubles!” So today, we’re announcing both!

Throughout development, it’s been critical for matchmaking that we only offer the singles mode (1v1) to help players around the world find opponents with a good connection. Now that Disc Jam is nearing completion, and with the hopes of getting some solid stress testing on our network, we are activating singles and doubles for the PS4 beta. In addition, we’ve made some exciting new changes to the mode including an updated court, as well as a complete overhaul to the pass mechanic.

When we initially implemented doubles, we wanted to see whether the mode would be fun in exactly the same play space as singles. Our assumption was that the additional player would add tension to the frantic pace on offense. With the passing mechanic, players could set up more powerful offensive shots which we believed would compensate for the extra defender.

This was true for the most part, but it became quite clear during high-end tournament play that some adjustments were needed. The singles court was simply too small to make defending your end zone as challenging as it should be. After some tweaking, a simple widening of the court by a few feet proved to be a simple and effective solution. This small adjustment to the play space compensates incredibly well for the extra player (not unlike the sport of tennis).

Another issue we had with doubles was the first implementation of the pass mechanic. Our main problem was that there wasn’t any significant punishment for poor timing on a pass. This basically created a situation where passing was always the optimal strategy. It slowed the game down and directly opposed our key design pillars: positioning and timing.

To address this, we redesigned passing so that your timing is graded just like the other throws in the game. Your teammate can now only throw as hard as the incoming pass, so a poorly timed pass to your teammate at the net will severely hamper their offensive power. With this new implementation, choosing to pass is a much more strategic decision which includes a layer of difficulty that the previous mechanic lacked. However, if executed properly, the pass mechanic is still quite powerful, enabling teams to charge the net and maximize their offensive potential!

It has been very important for us that singles and doubles each feel like first-class citizens in Disc Jam. We want to ensure that both modes remain competitive and that both lone wolves and team players have a home. So far, we have heard great feedback on both modes with many players gravitating to one or the other, but enjoying both. We believe these simple yet game-changing updates have made doubles a unique experience without straying too far from Disc Jam’s core gameplay. Of course, we may just have our “developer blinders” on, so we hope you’ll join us in the beta and share your thoughts!

We are accepting signups for the Playstation 4 beta on our website so sign up today and give it a spin!

+ brak014 on February 17th, 2017 at 8:07 am said:

Heck instant Beta code after signing up for the beta, looking forward to playing this tonight

+ brak014 on February 17th, 2017 at 8:07 am said:

Heck Yeah!*

+ happilymarried69 on February 17th, 2017 at 10:00 am said:

Heck

+ goopynose on February 19th, 2017 at 10:07 am said:

I played this for 4 hours straight last night. Definite buy for me!

+ Joey1848 on February 20th, 2017 at 10:29 am said:

Heck

+ kreiden on February 17th, 2017 at 8:09 am said:

Definitely jumping on this one. Looks great!

+ paulogy on February 17th, 2017 at 8:13 am said:

So you’re telling me PS4 will be getting both Windjammers AND this game? What a time to be alive :-)

This looks like a fun party game, how many players can play at the same time locally?

+ Timothy Rapp on February 17th, 2017 at 8:40 am said:

Any combination of 1-4 players online or local! A favorite way to play is two local players jump on the same team and matchmake doubles online!

+ LeandroDiFini on February 17th, 2017 at 9:06 am said:

This looks fun!

+ capitolc on February 17th, 2017 at 9:14 am said:

I don’t know what this is. I need more pics or a video.

Sounds like tennis, but passing and goaling like soccer.

I’ll wait for more info.

+ Timothy Rapp on February 17th, 2017 at 10:31 am said:

The game has changed a TON from our announce trailer so join us in the beta and let us know what you think!

+ capitolc on February 17th, 2017 at 9:17 am said:

announcement trailer on YT

Disc Jam – E3 2016 Announce Trailer | PS4 – YouTube

(wow, this title skipped my E3 experience)

+ krae_man on February 17th, 2017 at 9:30 am said:

Really enjoyed what I played at PSX.

Looking forward to playing it again.

+ xPAULIEx on February 17th, 2017 at 9:31 am said:

So tron (from the intellivision days) meets air hockey. I like it!

+ merlinten on February 17th, 2017 at 10:42 am said:

Can anyone play this beta or is it only for certain people?

+ Timothy Rapp on February 17th, 2017 at 10:55 am said:

All you have to do is validate your email (see the link at the bottom of the post) and you’ll receive a beta key!

+ merlinten on February 17th, 2017 at 11:04 am said:

Thanks! Sounds Awesome I will try it out tomorrow. :-)

+ NelsonScotty on February 17th, 2017 at 11:23 am said:

HELP!!! I got my CODE (thank you), but when I redeemed it on the PS Store, it only showed up in the “media” section……and will NOT allow me to “download” or anything; Plus, when I search for the game on the store, it’s “NOT FOUND”?????
So, how do I actually DOWNLOAD the “Beta”???? Please help. *****First time ever getting a “beta” like this by the way…..thank you.

+ Timothy Rapp on February 17th, 2017 at 11:27 am said:

Let’s get to the bottom of this right now! email me at info[at]highhorseentertainment[dot]com and we’ll get you sorted out!

+ oo7PorscheMGS on February 17th, 2017 at 12:54 pm said:

Check under your ps4 “library”, it should be there.

This looks like fun, and THANK you for making a local AND online mixed multiplayer game. Shared it with my ps4 beta community and can’t wait to try it, the trailer on youtube looks fast and furious fun! Passing mechanic sounds great (skill based!) too!

+ foeaminute on February 17th, 2017 at 1:13 pm said:

I had the same problem, you’ll just have to check your download queue.

Hoo boy, that Playstation store is a MESS to navigate. But also, thanks so much for the Beta Key! Looking forward to trying it.

+ GreenTractor on February 17th, 2017 at 1:14 pm said:

Try sign up and when click verification email just says invalid code on page it takes me to

+ Timothy Rapp on February 17th, 2017 at 5:39 pm said:

email me at info[AT]highhorseentertainment[DOT]com and we’ll get you squared away!

+ KidCommando on February 17th, 2017 at 1:46 pm said:

Just played a few matches, very fun. I could see this getting really competitive.

+ paulogy on February 17th, 2017 at 1:52 pm said:

I’m in, sweet! How long is the Beta going to run?

+ Timothy Rapp on February 17th, 2017 at 8:50 pm said:

we haven’t set an end date at the moment but we’re thinking a week or two

+ DaveedT13 on February 17th, 2017 at 2:00 pm said:

Good question, the info is really not in the blog post! (Unlike a lot of questions on PS Blog from people that didn’t read the whole post!) :)

+ DaveedT13 on February 17th, 2017 at 1:58 pm said:

Just registered, key received in seconds, can’t wait to try it (in 1 or 2 hours).

Looks really fun, the competitive side really attracts me, if it’s not based on superpowers or P2W, count me in for a long time and…I predict you a lot of success!! :) I’ll talk about your game around me!

Rocket League was a very welcome addition to this gen with no “powers” or any other perks that put players on unequal grounds…I hope more games like it will come, with original sports like this one!

No dev interested into remaking SPEEDBALL or MUTANT LEAGUE FOOTBALL??? :)

+ Timothy Rapp on February 17th, 2017 at 9:34 pm said:

It’s is enormously important to us that Disc Jam is NEVER a p2w game. To your point, we believe competitive play is a central focus for our game so there is no randomness or rubber banding of any kind. Disc Jam is a skill game at it’s core!

+ Sinistar83 on February 17th, 2017 at 3:59 pm said:

Yep I got my key too right away for both Steam and PS4 :)

Looks like Mutant League Football has a Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mendheim/mutant-football-league-mfl

+ xBrayneZx on February 17th, 2017 at 1:59 pm said:

I redeem my key. but it dosent work iv tried 4 times
….

+ Timothy Rapp on February 17th, 2017 at 5:37 pm said:

I will send you another key! Hit me up at info [AT] highhorseentertainment [DOT] com

+ Vuors on February 17th, 2017 at 3:17 pm said:

Is it a F2P game?

+ CrimsonDream24 on February 17th, 2017 at 6:42 pm said:

Three questions:
1: How long will the beta be up for?
2: Can you tell us roughly what the game is going to cost at launch?
3: Do you have a rough release date?

I tried the beta on a whim because it was a free way to kill time, and I LOVE it. Had no idea this game even existed and now I’m super excited for it!

Thanks for any information you can provide.

+ Timothy Rapp on February 17th, 2017 at 7:26 pm said:

1. We have no end date in mind right now!
    2. We have not decided yet but somewhere in the $15-20 range
    3. Late Q1 2017 so pretty soon here!

So glad you’re enjoying it!!!

+ GBC803 on February 17th, 2017 at 7:31 pm said:

The code you entered may not be correct or may no longer be valid. :(

Any way around this?

+ Timothy Rapp on February 17th, 2017 at 8:25 pm said:

E-mail us at info[at]highhorseentertainment[dot]come and we’ll send you a replacement code right away. Sorry about that!

+ bimz_22 on February 17th, 2017 at 7:33 pm said:

This game is beautiful. Please guys put some update and make possible to play local with friends. This is must make, if you do that this game will be up there with rocket league. Once again this is beast game, everyone should have it.

+ Timothy Rapp on February 17th, 2017 at 8:26 pm said:

THANK YOU! We already have local play ready to go and at launch we will have more offline practice/minigame modes. For now the beta is all about testing our online and making sure it’s stress tested for ship!

+ Axecution on February 17th, 2017 at 8:10 pm said:

Easily my new fav game. Been playing all day haha thank you for this.
Might stop playing soon depending on:

QUESTION: Does our progress carry over to the full game?

+ Timothy Rapp on February 17th, 2017 at 8:26 pm said:

we’re hoping that we don’t have to reset the progression but we’re adding a lot of content and likely going to be shifting tiers so we’re not sure if we’ll have to reset or not

+ DaveedT13 on February 17th, 2017 at 8:43 pm said:

Ok, tried it now and, frankly, the game is AWESOME, good learning curve, nice timing to get, enough moves (or maybe a use to R1/L1?), no perks to give advantage to players that played more, I’m impressed!

Continue your good work, can’t wait to see all the stuff to unlock in the full game! …with a little more customization for characters and some more characters I hope…and can’t wait try your mini games and maybe differents shaped arenas later on? ;)

+ Timothy Rapp on February 17th, 2017 at 8:49 pm said:

So glad you’re enjoying it! we’re going to be adding more and more customization every patch :)

+ RED-DOG69 on February 17th, 2017 at 9:49 pm said:

WOW, game looks great. If your still sending out beta keys I would love one Just send to reddog069@hotmail.com please and thanks

+ ThatSubZeroFlow on February 17th, 2017 at 10:48 pm said:

OMG YESSS!!! I have been waiting for this beta for MONTHS watching AustinCreed and Denk play this game for hours and hours and hours. What a master piece, congrats Tim and Jay! This is the next Rocket League like success story

+ gkashalkar on February 18th, 2017 at 1:17 am said:

Thanks for the code. But when I try to redeem it, I get an error saying that it’s not valid. Would appreciate some help.

+ Timothy Rapp on February 18th, 2017 at 6:37 am said:

Sorry about that! You can email info[at]highhorseentertainment[dot]com and we’ll get you squared away!

+ LEFT__4__DEAD__2 on February 18th, 2017 at 7:29 am said:

I am telling my friends about this Beta! =^-^=

+ Schnyd on February 18th, 2017 at 12:05 pm said:

This game is amazing, been playing all morning.

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 18th, 2017 at 2:36 pm said:

Wow, this game is so addicting! Gives me the feeling I got when I first tried out Nidhogg (in the best possible way!). Simple, easy to pick up, nice learning curve, and most of all sooo fun. I will definitely pick this up when it releases!

+ FreedomKME on February 18th, 2017 at 4:30 pm said:

Yeah, i deleted it after 1 hour of waiting for a match.

+ DaveedT13 on February 19th, 2017 at 7:10 am said:

1 hour…?? I find games in less than 2 minutes. In SINGLES. Did you select Singles or Doubles?

Doubles seem harder to find for me, the matcmaking is probably faster when a team of 2 players is searching for Doubles.

…and…it’s a beta, stuff can happen.

+ FreedomKME on February 19th, 2017 at 6:20 pm said:

I didn’t expect any better, it is a beta, a niche game, and i am in a third world country.

+ ColdCole14 on February 18th, 2017 at 4:58 pm said:

So how do I get the beta code?

+ DaveedT13 on February 19th, 2017 at 7:08 am said:

@ColdCole14:
    The link is up there at the end of the blog post. You receive the code in seconds.

+ FighterAbhi on February 18th, 2017 at 8:03 pm said:

Any plans to integrate the Motion Controllers to work with the game?

+ Dmeyer1227 on February 18th, 2017 at 11:19 pm said:

Having a blast with this game, definitely buying the full game…….it video game crack.

+ goopynose on February 19th, 2017 at 10:09 am said:

I played this 4 hours straight last night. I’m behind this release 100%

+ fivexl on February 19th, 2017 at 10:11 am said:

I am absolutely loving this beta. I can’t wait for the full release. My only gripe so far is having the lob and slide mapped to the same button. I am constantly sliding into the disc and lobbing it, when i didn’t want to lob it in the first place. I’ll need to check the options when i get home to see if i can change it. This feels like it could be the next runaway success, similar to rocket league. I just hope that, if it isn’t a ps plus title, it can still reach that success. If i could preorder it now, i would.

+ OneBadBaggins on February 20th, 2017 at 12:09 pm said:

tried to submit multiple emails but havent gottena beta code :(

+ Timothy Rapp on February 20th, 2017 at 2:31 pm said:

Sorry about that! You can hit us at info[AT]highhorseentertainment[DOT]com and we’ll get you sorted out

+ hongthay on February 20th, 2017 at 5:16 pm said:

Tried it last night. It was a lot of fun. Of course, I jumped online and got my butt kicked, but still fun nonetheless. I like playing frisbee games, and will be getting this eventually.

Now someone just needs to make another good Disc Golf game so I don’t have to keep pulling out my PS3 for Sports champion Disc Golf.

+ RISE_UP44 on February 20th, 2017 at 6:53 pm said:

Very cool, just got email

+ gaborj on February 20th, 2017 at 9:20 pm said:

Been playing the game and it’s quite fun! I think it needs a local multilayer option and against CPU. Add more characters and more prizes. I like the gacha system but give back more salvage points when you get a repeat. The loading screen is ugly btw :/

+ cusman on February 21st, 2017 at 5:38 am said:

Got the Beta key, will pass the word around to friends. How long is the Beta window?

+ Timothy Rapp on February 21st, 2017 at 5:14 pm said:

The beta ends this Friday so get your game on while you still can!

+ bacalazin0 on February 21st, 2017 at 6:32 am said:

This game is pretty awesome. I’ve played a lot with a frend in online .. But is impossible to find another player in south america. I hope this get a bigger community on launch. But if have 1~4 local coop for me is a must buy.
Great game!

+ Timothy Rapp on February 21st, 2017 at 5:11 pm said:

We will have local co-op at launch! Our beta is for testing our online play but rest assured you can get some couch play going with the full release of the game :)

+ ejike24 on February 23rd, 2017 at 5:00 am said:

I enjoyed playing this at PSX. Can’t wait to buy the full game