Spider-Man PS4

Mar 08

Mar 08

Interactive Crime Film Late Shift Coming to PS4 This April

Make more than 180 decisions to guide this underworld thriller towards one of seven endings.

Ben Tester's Avatar Posted by PR & Community Manager, Wales Interactive

Hi everyone! My name is Ben Tester from Wales Interactive. We have something brand new for all the full-motion-video and choice-driven narrative fans out there!

Introducing Late Shift, a cinematic FMV crime thriller with branching storylines. Written by Michael R. Johnson, the author of the 2009 film Sherlock Holmes, Late Shift arrives on PS4 this April.

After being forced into the robbery of a lucrative auction house, student Matt is left proving his innocence in a brutal London heist. Your choices will have consequences from the very start, right through to the end. One small decision could change the entire outcome in a choose-your-own-adventure style gameplay that can lead to one of seven conclusions.

The game features more than 180 decisions in total, and however big or small they may seem, any one of them could be the turning point, sending you off on a different branch of the story. Some players may reveal harder to reach endings, some may make friends or enemies along the way, and some may even play different chapters because of a series of choices which are evaluated at key points in the game. You’ll have mere seconds to make your decisions as the film seamlessly continues to roll with no pauses and no looping footage.

We invited Director Tobias Weber, to join us today with a bit of insight into the multi-optional writing and filming process. Take it away, Tobias…

“We started writing Late Shift like a normal film, but soon had to abandon the industry standard scripting software. It very quickly got too confusing. We therefore invented a kind of hybrid between flowchart and traditional film script, which allowed us to properly write dialogue while keeping track of the logic behind the film.

“This multi-stranded script became the backbone of our production. We stuck to it all the way from writing, to shooting, to post-producing the film. Even the composer used it for reference when he wrote and produced the soundtrack, which sounds like a film score, but is as dynamic as any game score.

“Shooting Late Shift wasn’t always easy. When the actors saw the script for the first time they refused to work with it. Everyone had to be educated about the new format. Keeping track of a production like this is demanding, continuity is a nightmare.

“Eventually though everyone, cast and crew, got accustomed to the process and at the end we all became quite proficient I should think. The main cast was terrific. Joe and Haruka (lead actors) did a great job, and they basically knew the entire script by heart. We would first film one story strand, then move on to a variation of it. Then we’d change camera angle and do all the variations again. At times it was confusing, but somehow we did it!

“Already during post-production we had a lot of people test the movie, as we wanted to avoid any beaten tracks within the film. It was very important to us that all the endings would be reached, and that all choices were evenly balanced.

“Luckily so far in all the screenings and testing sessions, we’ve seen all the endings time and again, though some are certainly less common. But the achievements are in the details, I guess. Not everyone outsmarts the thieves, anticipates the villain’s moves, gets to spit in the antagonist’s face, or… well, you’ll have to wait and see to reveal your version of the story!”

Now, for the completionists out there, you’ll have the option to replay the story to find the different routes and hidden chapters, being rewarded with Trophies (including a Platinum).

Developed by CtrlMovie and shot in full HD across London, Late Shift’s cinematic experience blends the line between movies, games, and interactive storytelling.

You won’t have to wait long as the game lands on PS4 this April. Thank you all for reading and please do leave your comments below!

Add Your Own

Carlytto said:

March 8th, 5:35 am

Old school ideas are making a comeback. Now into a better time period.

Ben Tester's Avatar

Ben Tester said:

March 8th, 8:38 am

We agree with Pigtailed’s response… It is the start of a new era. We hope you can join us in this new age of hybrid games/films!

PigtailedMink3 said:

March 8th, 5:42 am

I think this is the start of a new era. Really the future of films, possibly the future of some games too!

Chris_sandler said:

March 8th, 6:24 pm

Can You play with friends? Would be fun if multiple People could have The choice in their hands and then see what happens.

hellzenvy said:

March 8th, 5:41 am

I take it this is going to be a Digital Only Release as it sounds like my Jam i tried to find a physical pre order and nothing has appeared.

Ben Tester's Avatar

Ben Tester said:

March 8th, 8:41 am

For now, we only have a digital release planned, however, we are open to a limited release of physical in the future (watch this space for news on a limited release of The Bunker). As for disc space, it doesn’t use as much as you think. We’re looking around 5GB :)

cusman said:

March 8th, 8:00 am

I hope there is a physical release. I imagine a game that is entirely movie clips is going to be a big download.

four24twenty said:

March 8th, 5:49 am

Did somebody say Platinum trophy? Good work Wales Interactive.

Ben Tester's Avatar

Ben Tester said:

March 8th, 8:42 am

fecks said:

March 8th, 6:08 am

Loved “The Bunker”, cant wait for this one!

Tsubaki_14 said:

March 8th, 6:36 am

This looks really interesting, definitely looking forward to it!

JeRzYzFyNeSt said:

March 8th, 6:39 am

sounds awesome

YorlecmNwahs said:

March 8th, 7:59 am

I am in love with this idea. Takes me back to the days of the Sega CD.

cusman said:

March 8th, 7:59 am

If this is priced at $20 or less, I’ll give it a chance.

Ben Tester's Avatar

Ben Tester said:

March 8th, 8:45 am

We’ve got you covered. How do you feel about a $12.49 launch price?

Ben Tester's Avatar

Ben Tester said:

March 9th, 1:44 am

Hey capitolc, sorry about not including the trailer in the post, it must not have cleared in time for the post. Here’s the link: https://youtu.be/vzscNA5ZN4E.

We’re actually the publishers and co-developers of The Bunker but we partnered with a different studio on Late Shift called CtrlMovie. They actually released the game on iOS, Apple TV and selected cinemas previously which is the reason behind the wording of the being the first around. Like you said, it would cause confusion around the PC and console audience which is why we haven’t adopted that.

So happy to hear you’re interested in both titles though. Both are considered thrillers but are slightly different in terms of gameplay. The Bunker allows you to interact with the environment with pauses for your to navigate; whereas Late Shift is more of an interactive movie, but with Late Shift, it’s all about your choices and how they take the character through different branches of the story. It’s also incredibly fun to replay and realise this decision took you off in a different direction.

I hope that helps clear things up a bit! Thanks so much for reading :)

capitolc said:

March 8th, 1:25 pm

sub $15 at launch? I might have to check this out, after I watch what The Bunker is. (sounds familiar, can’t picture it)

capitolc said:

March 8th, 2:01 pm

So I do remember seeing The Bunker on this blog and thought it was something to look for. Re-watching the video trailer for it, I don’t think I favored the cinematography.

There’s no trailer here, but the stills looks a bit more in my opinion. I think the movie-side of me (oppose to games) comes out, as I like thrillers a bit more than horrors.

I saw 4/5 stars for The Bunker on Steam led me to see what Late Shift is reviewing. I saw a surprising LA Times article from a year ago and it’s movie testing/iphone release review. I’ve just grown that more interested in this new product, and want to revisit the previous product. The wording in the article talked about Late Shift being the first, which is misleading because The Bunker came before.

After recently playing Heavy Rain for the first time, I am very interested to see how “this new genre” plays out. I wonder if I will every be in a theater to take part in an interactive movie. The majority rule with the public, kinda risky when you don’t have your selection played out. With the price point and low disk space, it’s almost a sure buy for me.

Can’t wait to learn more!

solid_snake125 said:

March 8th, 11:58 am

$12.49!? I’m really going to buy this then. This looks to be very interesting.

Conrad_Max said:

March 8th, 1:09 pm

It’s been quite a while since I’ve played one of these. The last one I had played was on the Sega CD.

And I do like options in games. Making moral or desperate decisions that affect the outcome.

I’m looking forward to playing this one.

Kishnabe said:

March 8th, 2:53 pm

Keep on bringing Unique Narrative experiences. Enjoyed Bunker and maybe will get to try Knee Deep in the future.

Will keep a look out for this one :)

post_316 said:

March 8th, 5:36 pm

How much will this be or will it be free?

smokeydahair said:

March 8th, 5:58 pm

Sounds cool and for $15 it’s something I’ll definitely get. How long is it?

smokeydahair said:

March 8th, 5:59 pm

Less than $15 I mean.

Randc7 said:

March 8th, 6:27 pm

So, apparently this movie came out over a year ago on the App store… for $5.
Why the year-long delay to get it to PS4, and why the price hike?
Don’t get me wrong – I’m excited for this, just curious about the thought process behind these decisions.

Ben Tester's Avatar

Ben Tester said:

March 9th, 2:59 am

Hey! That’s a very good question actually. The developers at CtrlMovie used there own unique code to develop it for iOS & Apple TV. They took the game to GDC and Gamescom later that year and that’s where we met (we just so happened to be demoing The Bunker there too). So, we took on the game and had to build it from the ground up using our own code in the game engine we use. The whole process took a bit of time, especially having to port it on multiple platforms including PC, PS4 and Xbox One. This is the main reason why we chose to go at that price point and we hope others agree it’s a fair price :)

Really happy to hear you’re excited for it anyway and thank you for joining us on the blog – Ben

shelmoon said:

March 8th, 6:52 pm

12.49? am I seeing that correct? Count me in, would of gladly paid more

Ben Tester's Avatar

Ben Tester said:

March 9th, 2:59 am

You are correct, good sir!

TOJO1 said:

March 9th, 2:35 am

This will be a blast to play with my girlfriend! Really looking forward to sitting down with her and making decisions together.

Invictus_80 said:

April 2nd, 7:57 am

What day? I want to get it. It sounds awesome.

TinCannEd said:

April 6th, 5:50 pm

April 18th. Day 1 for me, just like I did with the Bunker.

Why isn’t it up on PSN for pre-order though?