The Last Guardian

Mar 16

Mar 16

Farpoint: Meeting Your Friend on an Alien World

Impulse Gear's intense shooter on PS VR features cooperative challenges that bring the game's incredible physicality to the fore.

Ryan Clements's Avatar Posted by Senior Specialist, SIEA Social Media

The craggy, barren chasms of Farpoint are already dangerous. Now add the hissing, scampering, spitting creatures that live on the planet and you’ll be more thankful for your rifle in this first-person shooter for PlayStation VR. But why brave such dangers alone? The team at Impulse Gear worked hard to build unique levels that you can enjoy with a friend online, and I gave them an honest (albeit doomed) attempt with Impulse Gear Co-founder Seth Luisi.

Cooperative challenges aside, the combat in Farpoint elevates first-person gameplay to startling heights. Paired with the PS VR Aim controller, the precision of firing any of Farpoint’s sci-fi weapons is eerie. Look down the scope — as in, actually raise the controller, close one eye, and look down the scope — and you’ll see the reticle hovering over the screeching terrors hunting you down.

This sense of physicality is unique to virtual reality, and especially engaging in Farpoint as you swivel, pivot, aim, and pull the trigger, plasma rounds punching through carapace and rock in each exhilarating encounter.

Now imagine it all with a friend by your side.

Farpoint

Farpoint tracks both the PlayStation VR headset and the Aim controller, and in doing so can infer the location of your body at any given moment. This means you and a friend have a full character to control, from tilting your head in confusion to motioning in the direction of your next target.

These expressive moments bring the world alive, and open up small but special gameplay opportunities. Body language is now a practical method of communication, instead of pressing a button for a pre-made emote. In the heat of combat, these simple gestures go a long way.

The cooperative levels are built like sprawling, rocky arenas. Enemies flood the level from all directions and it’s up to you to take cover, return fire, and revive your teammate should he or she be overwhelmed by alien forces.

Farpoint

Between fights, you and a friend can rest (both figuratively and literally) at resource stations and load up on supplies, swap out your gear, and even shoot each other in the head. Yes, friendly fire is active. And in virtual reality, it’s a little hilarious.

Farpoint demonstrates the overall potential of first-person VR combat exquisitely. It boasts both superb aiming and gunplay, with the added fun of bringing a friend along for the ride. You and your own prospective space soldiers can try it for yourselves when Farpoint and the Aim controller launch on May 16.

Add Your Own

zingakun said:

March 16th, 7:41 am

Could you please tell me how the character moves? Will we follow every step, like any normal FPS, or will it be like a “blink” (we point at a place and are automatically moved to it)?

Ryan Clements's Avatar

Ryan Clements said:

March 16th, 11:39 am

Great question! In the version I played, you have full control over your character, and movement is not incremental but fluid — like a traditional FPS.

Deadlius said:

March 16th, 8:02 am

There are sticks on the Aim controller for movement. All the videos I’ve seen of people playing the game have shown “smooth” movement (i.e., not incremental turning or location warping).

OverTaker said:

March 16th, 7:45 am

Is the Old Sharp Shooter compatible with this game i still have mine.

Drago1082 said:

March 16th, 8:40 am

No the sharpshooter is not compatible. The aim controller has all of the fuctionality, buttons, analog sticks, etc. of a DS4. Everything you need is built into the new aim controller and its Awesome! I am hoping even if other developers dont go full VR that they adopt the aim controller for their games. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Destiny, even Grand Theft Auto would be great to have aim controller support.

QNoir said:

March 16th, 8:24 pm

Aim support is nice, but … wrist movement actually works better for motion-controlled fps games. It’s very competitive, like mouse and keyboard. I wish we could still use the PS Move and the other little controller for the other hand.

cusman said:

March 16th, 7:55 am

Very interested in this game. Especially with the new Sharpshooter accessory for PSVR.

Drago1082 said:

March 16th, 8:43 am

This game is going to be a big deal for PSVR, this is the title I have been most excited for when it comes to PSVR and the aim controller is really fun and intuitive to use.

ATOMS11 said:

March 16th, 9:21 am

Im still waiting for the game or experience that forces me to get the PSVR. Is this it?

the_FREELANCER said:

March 16th, 9:31 am

Resident Evil 7 is that game. It’s phenomenal in VR!

k2GM said:

March 16th, 10:02 am

this will be my second VR game, battlezone is amazing and this looks incredible

MAINLY the AIM controller will bring alot more development to PSVR . I feel most DEVS are waiting to see the quality of the AIM controller before they dive in.

I hope there will be more ports to psvr, like killing floor incursion.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

Ryan Clements said:

March 16th, 11:41 am

The Aim controller is fantastic. I spend most of my time looking at the weaponry in my hands than properly defending myself. ;)

MrBeens said:

March 16th, 10:14 am

You had me until you said “Now imagine it all with a friend by your side.”

Gah! I hate having to deal with other people in games.

Now I’ll go back in my hole.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

Ryan Clements said:

March 16th, 11:41 am

The campaign is a single-player experience! You don’t have to play the multiplayer missions if you don’t want to. ^_^

Sindred said:

March 16th, 12:02 pm

I know not to expect a huge campaign, but do you feel the campaign will welcome some replayability?

sandkwithhp said:

March 16th, 12:07 pm

Please release a bundle that combines an Aim controller with a code for the digital version of the game!

zingakun said:

March 16th, 12:08 pm

If we don’t have the Aim controller, aiming will be based on the Move controller or the VR headgear?

Big_T_1980 said:

March 16th, 6:17 pm

I have the Move and Nav controller with the Sharpshooter Gun. I would like to know if it will be compatible.

ClawOfTheFallen said:

March 16th, 7:56 pm

Weirder, but honest question. Will the PS3 be compatible with the AIM controller? Like, can I pair it with my PS3 and play my move compatible games with it? Like Resistance 3, Killzone 3, House of the Dead Overkill, the Resident Evil Chronicle games and such.