PlayStation VR

Mar 20

Mar 20

First Look at Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Chloe Frazer and Nadine Ross form an unlikely alliance in the upcoming standalone story. We talk with Naughty Dog about how it all began.

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

Last month, I was lucky enough to get a sneak peek at an early version of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. Though still early in development, it’s showing loads of promise. I was able to get unprecedented access to the minds at developer Naughty Dog to learn more about its next Uncharted adventure.

First, the setting. In moving the action to the southern tip of India, The Lost Legacy injects a fresh surge of color and personality — closer to the pulpier feel of the original Uncharted, in some ways. “Beautiful, big landscapes to traverse and explore, that sense of a surprise around every corner,” Creative Director Shaun Escayg told me. “We wanted to bring more of that back.”

The Lost Legacy is a new story set six to 12 months after the events of Uncharted 4. The action kicks off with a search for a priceless relic — the Tusk of Ganesh — and a decidedly unlikely pairing.

Opposites Attract

Chloe Frazer and Nadine Ross are reluctant partners who don’t always see eye-to-eye, but who must work together to obtain the priceless Tusk from a mysterious warlord named Asav. “I like to figure things out as I go,” Chloe mutters at one point in the gameplay demo. “I noticed,” Nadine snorts.

“Asav, Chloe, and Nadine all have different reasons for wanting the Tusk.” — Josh Scherr

Why revisit Chloe? For Naughty Dog, it was an easy decision. She’s an interesting character with a darker moral compass compared to Drake. Writer Josh Scherr remarks: “They’re both treasure hunters. Drake has a bit of a hero complex, but Chloe looks out for number one, first and foremost.” It’s Chloe who initiates the hunt for the Tusk.

Nadine reenters the picture for different reasons, partially born out of the consequences of her actions in Uncharted 4. With Shoreline crumbling, she’s out of work and desperate.

“Chloe would need somebody with military expertise,” Escayg said. “In all of Uncharted, Nadine is probably the most rational and practical character we’ve ever introduced,” Scherr added. “She tends to take a direct approach.”

Bringing them together helps each character accentuate the other. “They’re opposites. Chloe is spontaneous and impulsive, where Nadine is by the book, structured,” Escayg explained. “That made for a good pairing.”

And you better believe that relationship is going to develop over the course of the game. “Both of them are in positions they aren’t used to being in,” Game Director Kurt Margenau said. “Chloe, in terms of taking charge. Nadine, who is used to running the show, is now the hired gun. They’re both figuring it out as they go.”

Wider Linear

With characters and the setup out of the way, it was time to get a closer look at the game itself. Based on what I saw, The Lost Legacy’s overall gameplay style will be familiar to Uncharted 4 veterans. But Naughty Dog is determined to add further refinements and enhancements based on lessons learned during Uncharted 4’s lengthy development cycle.

Starting with the level design. In one pivotal section of the game, the team wants to provide a more expansive environment that gives players more ways to explore at their own pace — “the biggest [area] ever for an Uncharted game,” Margenau mentioned.

While developing Uncharted 4, Naughty Dog had hoped to go even bigger on certain huge locations such as Madagascar, Art Director Tate Mosesian explained to me. But some concessions had to be made in the interests of maintaining the game’s development schedule. Not so with The Lost Legacy, where the game will benefit from an updated production process that can see up to five teams working on one location at a time.

“It’s got a bigger, more organic feel, with more player choice.” — Kurt Margenau

In The Lost Legacy, this translates into a sprawling level with traversal challenges, environmental puzzles, shootouts, and more.

It’s honeycombed with secrets too, with new hidden treasures that will reward persistent players who try to traverse everything they can see.

There’s loads of environmental variety, too, partly thanks to the natural diversity seen in the Western Ghats region of southern India. You’ll explore lush jungles, soaring mountains, and ancient temples, in addition to the war-torn urban environment seen in the PSX 2016 reveal.

Tools of the Trade

There is some new combat gear to master, too. A silenced pistol (The first lethal stealth weapon in Uncharted history!) will add new tactical wrinkles to The Lost Legacy’s stealth play and expand your combat options.

Meanwhile, C4 proved so popular among Uncharted 4’s loyal multiplayer community that Naughty Dog couldn’t resist adding it to The Lost Legacy. Why not?

There also seems to be an increased range of options available for combat encounters. “There are entire combat setups that you can skip, go around, or approach from any direction,” Margenau explained. “It’s got a bigger, more organic feel, with more player choice and more stealth options.”

Another new mechanic, lockpicking, was first seen in the game’s PlayStation Experience 2016 debut trailer. Though the exact lockpicking mechanics are still a work in progress, the team was so fixated on capturing the tactile feel of the act in-game that they purchased a real lockpicking kit to practice with. That’s dedication!

One thing that definitely won’t be changing, though, is Naughty Dog’s approach to the series’ iconic action set pieces — some of the most memorable moments in gaming. “We obviously love them,” Margenau teased, adding that The Lost Legacy will include set pieces that do “things we’ve never done.” Sorry folks — I couldn’t squeeze anything more out of him than that.

To Catch a Thief

It’s worth noting that The Lost Legacy, which will be launching later this year as a standalone game, will be a lengthier experience than The Last of Us: Left Behind, but shorter than Uncharted 4.

As for fans hoping for a Nathan Drake cameo in The Lost Legacy? “We entertained a few possible ideas around including Nate as a secondary character,” Scherr explained. “But everything we did felt superfluous because we tied it all up with Uncharted 4.” Margenau was even more direct. “We’re not going to touch on Nathan Drake in this, at all.” So, uh, maybe don’t hold your breath.

“You can sort of imagine Drake sitting on the couch playing Crash Bandicoot while Chloe and Nadine are off galavanting,” Scherr joked. “Yeah, the Crash Bandicoot remaster,” Margenau added.

Add Your Own

Illuminat3d_ said:

March 20th, 6:11 am

It’s time for Uncharted to go open world!!

Inhert said:

March 20th, 7:58 am

please no, it was one of the reason why a didn’t like Uncharted 4 as much as the other. The levels were too big for no reasons…

whereymyconary said:

March 20th, 8:51 am

Open World games tend to be fun to play but the story gets left to the wayside, and I play uncharted games for the story not the gameplay…. So keep uncharted about story, don’t do an open world. Dynamic level design that allows me to tackle any missions i want is great but not a sandbox.

Catfish715 said:

March 20th, 11:24 am

Keep that open world stuff away from my great linear game that is Uncharted (hell, Naughty Dog in general). the market is truly flooded w/ sandboxes; play one of those

memo_sanchez_rx said:

March 20th, 12:05 pm

Worst idea ever.

andrewsqual said:

March 20th, 6:39 pm

Lol they literally said it is going back to the style of the first Uncharted game. In other words, after the main prologue and reuniting with Elena and heading to the main island, the game truly beings.

There is essentially no jumping to other sides of the world after 3 or 4 chapters in the game. The game took place entirely in this one location. At some parts of Drake’s Fortune you can even see further down the map like when you are at the fort and you can actually see the forest path you will be taking with Elena in a bit and you can even see the Customs house too at the other side of the peninsula.

So yeah, how is that “open world” in the Ubisoft style context you are implying? I can’t wait for this. Uncharted 2 had a very similar awesome pacing style where you were always moving forward in the game with insane no loading times but it was silly in U3 with the constant jumping from England to flashback in Colombia, back to London, then to France, then to Syria and so on.

Cant wait!!!! Will it get a retail release though?

Oste18262009 said:

March 21st, 5:41 am

No. Going open world like some other video games have is a Horrible idea, It takes away from the storytelling mechanic and would throw you off. Imagine Ghost Recon Wildlands but with Uncharted play styles…. Not the best duo.

Rapturesassassin said:

March 20th, 6:25 am

Do Uncharted 4 season pass holders get this for free ?

Because i got the Season Pass for the single-player DLC that was originally this not for the multiplayer garbage. If not i want my season pass money back

joyrul96 said:

March 20th, 6:31 am

This eastern beauty <3

All i hope for is less walking simulator and less climbing simulator and more actual gameplay :)

joyrul96 said:

March 20th, 6:33 am

Pacing was terrible in Uncharted 4 bored many people to death in many parts, Uncharted 2 is king in pacing, very fun to play and is great for replayability aswell.
Uncharted 4 was kind of a slog pacing makes me not want to play it again

Welmosca said:

March 21st, 2:13 am

What you said about UC2….->Amen.

CrusaderForever said:

March 20th, 6:47 am

Really excited for this release! You have to find a way to continue with the Uncharted franchise. I understand Nathan Drake’s story is over. However, you could use someone else…………………..to carry on the Uncharted Legacy! Can’t wait for this!

saab01 said:

March 20th, 7:03 am

Was not a big fan of the online part of this game don’t think I would want to drop money on an extra story.

Kakashe9198 said:

March 20th, 8:51 am

Online? Who the hell recommended the multiplayer mode of Uncharted to you?! Uncharted isn’t even about the multiplayer unlike games like CoD and Overwatch.

Welmosca said:

March 21st, 2:12 am

@ Kakashe9198 – Online doesn’t have anything to do with the story,I dunno why is he even talking about the online but you clearly don’t play or never played UC Online for real to say that.

JeRzYzFyNeSt said:

March 20th, 7:47 am

Honestly Sony give us Socom PS4!!

ZanFear said:

March 20th, 7:57 am

First stealth pistol?! Uncharted 2 had that tranquilizer gun.

Ebae321 said:

March 20th, 8:33 am

Hold up uncharted 3 had the silenced pistol during the London Underground Chapters. The lost legacy is not the first uncharted to have silenced lethal weapons.

Catfish715 said:

March 20th, 11:30 am

So true you guys. I knew reading that, that that didn’t sound true (those 3 ‘thats’ though)

ZanFear said:

March 21st, 8:32 am

hahaha You and your “that”. :P

TheFierceBear said:

March 23rd, 1:21 pm

It said the first “leathal” silent pistol. The tranquilizer gun wasn’t leathal it just put them to sleep.

a_maranon292 said:

March 20th, 8:33 am

There was a silenced pistol in Uncharted 3.

I don’t know how I can see Nadine as even an anti-hero. She was redeemable until she fricking locked three dudes in a death trap.

And I hope stealth has been deepened. As much as I enjoyed UC4 the optional stealth made the game real slow. If you want to have stealth, make it more interesting than “press square when near” or “pull that guy off a ledge”. Give us more jump kills, those are always fun.

TOOMB said:

March 20th, 8:37 am

Greedy money grabbing game devs. I’m getting so sick of being treated like a dumb consumer.

Kakashe9198 said:

March 20th, 8:48 am

Money hungry?! You can’t be serious, ND is giving us some extra hours of content for mostly much less than $60-$40. And not to mention it’s a completely different story from any of Nathan Drakes adventures. It’s not like it’s a story DLC they could have easily put in U4. You’re probably someone who would complain about the witcher 3’s blood and wine expansion.

andrewsqual said:

March 20th, 6:55 pm

You know what is a far greater sickner? Waiting 6 years for Remedy to make a new game and then it being anything better than mediocre, and at full price too. This Uncharted game will no doubt be glorious for anybody interested in picking it up. You clearly are an Uncharted hater so why would you be interested either way lol? You would only be a “dumb consumer” if you DON’T like buying critically praised and well received games………….. and then went and bought it anyway.

Direct all your fake concern to the “fans” of Mass Effect who are no doubt going to be RIPPED off over the next 24 hours when they pick up their shiny, new, day one, broken, buggy, disappointing, ME Andromeda.

Welmosca said:

March 21st, 2:09 am

@ andrewsqual – You forgot to add clumsy…clumsy and with animations from the 90’s,haha.

KwietStorm said:

March 20th, 9:41 am

Rosita and Sasha: Lost Legacy

GlidingFalcon said:

March 20th, 9:47 am

Can’t wait! I have complete faith in Naughty Dog, the most reliable and greatest game developers of all time!

cusman said:

March 20th, 11:01 am

I think wider linear isn’t as good as open world. The key is to keep player interactions rich like in Horizon and not the cookie cutter feel in missions and side missions you get in Ubisoft open world games.

GalafadorMk2 said:

March 20th, 12:00 pm

Isn’t the silenced pistol available in uncharted 3?

Welmosca said:

March 21st, 2:07 am

Definitely…on chapter 16.

khearts888 said:

March 20th, 12:22 pm

please let this be a standalone and please add a Platinum trophy to it

larshar6 said:

March 20th, 12:24 pm

its funny few people talking about how uncharted 4–the levels to big and didn’t like it—this game was 100 percent perfect in my book the graphics were perfectly detailed the sound/music was on key with the story controls were dead on–seems to me if don’t like the game either quit playing or open up own gaming company make your own games and show naughty dawg and others what games should be

three friends bought a ps4 because they saw me playing it and wanted to play it and they own xbox ones

as for the stand alone story sounds good–cant wait to play it–but why is it that want to end uncharted with uncharted 4–seems to me that these games get better and better—and another one should be made– but its up to naughty dog to do so– if not then I will say uncharted 4 will be considered the best game they ever made

ROSO_1977 said:

March 20th, 12:50 pm

cool, this game is a good way to Play on PS4 Slim :D

u_could_kill_me_ said:

March 20th, 2:10 pm

I realize Nathan’s story was put to an end… but an uncharted game without Nathan Drake is not an uncharted game. It won’t be the same. Plus they are admitting it will be a short game. I would buy another uncharted game if Drake was a main character. But not chloe

Tatanka2007 said:

March 20th, 2:54 pm

Short(ish) with bigger maps sounds like an awful recipe. In other words, as wide as an ocean but as deep as a puddle.

Uncharted 4 was a great technical masterpiece, but the gameplay didn’t reach the same heights as earlier entries. This new entry doesn’t seem particularly interesting. I can understand developers wanting to move on, yet Drake was a likeable and well-liked character. By not wanting to have even an cameo wtih Drake rather spits in the face of the fanbase that made the franchise a success.

TJ_Solo said:

March 20th, 7:15 pm

Sounds more interesting than how you put it.
    If ND is committed to ending Drake’s story then it makes sense to not have cameo right after they wrapped things up for that character.

the_man72 said:

March 20th, 3:19 pm

Really looking forward to this !!!

beltsquid said:

March 20th, 3:49 pm

I’m really into everything I’m hearing about Lost Legacy, and I’m more than fine with Nate not popping his head into this one. I loved the story arc he had and it’s best not to mess with a good thing. However, I do hope he gets some kind of shoutout in idk a note or a text message or something if only because Chloe and Nate’s friendship was left hanging in a weird place in 3 and only barely touched on in 4 and having that hanging out there is unsatisfying.

ShannonLeigh94 said:

March 20th, 11:24 pm

I was kind of hoping they would do something with Drake’s daughter like she carried on what Drake started. Threw me off that they’re​ doing Chloe and Nadine when the ending of U4 left off with Drake telling his daughter about his adventures and her being so interested in it. Would’ve been a great pick up for the new uncharted series in my opinion.

Welmosca said:

March 21st, 2:05 am

Still see this as DLC and after readind this post I’m really wondering how long will this be cuz I felt like reading a preview of UC5 and honestly bigger than Left Behind but shorter than UC4 doesn’t say much.Also had 100% sure this was set before UC4 lol.

Glad ND will be focusing on set-pieces cuz in UC4 those were a huge disappointment,had way too few set-piece moments and way too much climbing.Way to mislead people showing that Madagascar chase scene on E3.

Now the most important thing…“the biggest [area] ever for an Uncharted game”…this is really something to worry about,Madagascar was insane to explore and ND wanna do something bigger?…I love to explore in games but there is nothing worse than exploring an empty area and plus UC ain’t a game for that,it felt really outta place in UC4 and it was one of the things that made the game less great.

With all this said…looking forward to the development of the relation of Chloe and Nadine and also to see how they met.

medenko1975 said:

March 21st, 8:33 am

How to buy this?

Dacoalman86 said:

March 22nd, 11:10 pm

Bring it on. I’m waiting, willing and able to take on any Uncharted, new premise or sequel. Maybe for “The Lost Legacy” an open world atmosphere will be a draw, and I’ll surely play and explore to my hearts content, but I just can’t see retiring Nate, Elena, Sully and (bad brother) Sam. They’re all so memorable it’s hard to put them on the shelf, never to return to action.

mikemc1958 said:

March 23rd, 3:52 pm

Getting this game excited.

madfan4ever said:

March 27th, 11:00 pm

Please forgive my possible lack of knowledge. I’ve looked but not in last 2months approx, is there a Single Player DLC for UC4? I’m not a fan of multiplayer, too much a noob at console gaming. I truly enjoy UC & played them all. UC4 release a long time ago, I thought for sure they’d have done a single player DLC. Does anyone know if they have and I’ve just missed it somehow? Also, unless I misread/misunderstood this article, it’s a Multiplayer DLC, was I correct in that being the case? I’d really appreciate any good info my fellow gamers have. Enjoy the world so much, I’d love to get back into it, but really want single player addition, will pay whatever within reason. Thank you in advance for your time, information and help!