PlayStation VR

Apr 18

Apr 18

22 Years Later, Full Throttle Remastered Arrives Today on PS4, PS Vita

The team at Double Fine recovered old tape drives and consulted with original artist Peter Chan to enhance a LucasArts classic.

James Spafford's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, Double Fine Productions

Full Throttle Remastered is out today, 22 years after it first hit store shelves back in April of 1995. It tells the tale of Ben Throttle, butt-kicking leader of biker gang the Polecats, who gets caught up in a tale of motorcycles, mayhem, and murder.

Full Throttle was Tim Schafer’s first game as sole project lead at LucasArts, and just like his other Lucas games, Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango, it soon became a beloved cult classic. We’ve already remastered those other two, and with this one we complete the trilogy of Tim Schafer LucasArts games.

It’s a good thing that we left Full Throttle last, too, as it’s the most complex one of them all — an ambitious project at the time, it has twice the number of backgrounds and twice as many frames of animation as Day of the Tentacle, and combines both 2D and 3D artwork where those other games stick with just one.

To remaster Full throttle we’ve redrawn all of the artwork by hand, and expanded it from 4:3 to 16:9 which meant consulting with concept artist Peter Chan to help us draw in previously unseen parts of every single scene. We recovered all the old, fairly crude 3D models and beefed them up using modern techniques. The original voice sessions were recovered from ancient tape drives to provide cleaned up, uncompressed sound, and we worked with The Gone Jackals, the band who provided the soundtrack, and with composer Peter McConnell to do the same for the music.

We’ve detailed all of this in the built in commentary mode, and curated a huge pile of old concept art to browse through, too.

Something we’re especially excited about is that if you have a PS4 Pro you can play Full Throttle Remastered in 4K! That’s quite a hefty upgrade from the original 320 x 200 resolution…

We’re really proud of how all of these remastered games have turned out. We’ve tried our hardest to preserve the original intent of the people who made them 20 years ago by involving them at every turn, and we think that really comes across as you play. Whether you’re a fan from the old days, or have never played before, we really hope you enjoy Full throttle Remastered — out today on PS4 and PS Vita.

Oh! As an special bonus we’ve bundled a dynamic Theme with the game for free! It even has a fancy day/night cycle hooked into the system clock. Make sure to check out our new launch trailer to see more!

Add Your Own

nokedimyo said:

April 18th, 8:36 am

Full Throttle is one of my favorite games. The remastered visuals look exactly like the original game (but better obviously). Not sure which platform to get this on!

TJF588 said:

April 18th, 8:42 am

It’s Cross-Buy! Get it for one, you get it for both.

TLSBill said:

April 18th, 8:42 am

Thank you!!! I remember sitting in the audience at PSX in San Fran,. when I heard “Whenever i smell asphalt i think of Maureen” and I just knew what was coming. It’s already on my PS4 waiting for me. Thanks to the whole team for all the hard work.. The preview at this year’s PSX was great. I’m glad I got the chance to play it an meet some of the team. Congrats on getting it done.

TurismoM3 said:

April 18th, 8:52 am

This is the first PC game I ever purchased way back in 1995. It’s still awesome today, I love the updated art getting it over to 16×9 widescreen.

craigdenny1 said:

April 18th, 9:05 am

This game was so awesome at the time it came out.. I can’t wait to play it again

whereymyconary said:

April 18th, 9:24 am

VITA!!! and FULL THROTTLE, this and 7th Guest were the first games I ever played. Very excited for this

Danhellsing said:

April 18th, 9:38 am

PS VITA FULL THROTTLE FILE SIZE 7.4GB WTH!!!! REALLY?????

Kishnabe said:

April 18th, 10:36 am

Vita version is 2.2 GB. No Worries there.

threehundredGz said:

April 18th, 9:45 am

Wouldn’t even give you $5 for this, don’t care for the nostalgia genre thats currently being capitalized on and used to increase interest in this system. Pitiful that the PS4 is 4 years into production and the only thing people can look forward too are remastered games from the 90’s.

ValhallaOutcast said:

April 18th, 9:55 am

Horizon, Nioh, Nier, Persona 5 just to name a few exclusives this year…not to mention some good multiplatform games this year

what exactly do you want?

manufract said:

April 18th, 11:37 am

nostalgia or not, Full Throttle should appeal to many fans of the point-and-click adventure gaming genre, even newcomers.

andrewsqual said:

April 19th, 5:50 am

Thank goodness for all those awesome PS4 next gen games out this past 2 years, especially this year, and more on the way. Now you get to comment on how great they are on their individual blog posts but we all know you won’t lol.

Kishnabe said:

April 18th, 10:35 am

Vita version is 2.2 GB.

PS4 Version is 5.6 GB.

Sometimes it shows up as a bundled value. PSVIta games rarely go past 3GB.

manufract said:

April 18th, 11:34 am

if you purchase, download and install the game, is the theme installed automatically as well?

Gothdom said:

April 18th, 4:27 pm

Thank you Thank you thank you!!! I’ve been waiting for this since it was first announced…

Gotta go buy and play! See y’all later

Postmita said:

April 18th, 4:30 pm

“This is really a religious pilgrimage for me. A religious pilgrimage with a lot of butt-kicking.” One of my favorite lines from the game.

Obiwan176 said:

April 18th, 6:14 pm

This is GREAT!!! Some love for the Vita. This is one of my favorite games and I had no idea it was cross platform. I am very happy right now.