Marvel's Spider-Man

Jul 10

Jul 10

Inside the Developers Studio: Hermen Hulst

Hermen Hulst's Avatar Posted by Managing Director, Guerrilla Games

Killzone 2
1. What game do you have at E3 this year?
We are very excited to be presenting Killzone 2 this year.

2. Describe it in five words or less.
Killzone 2 is a Hostile Theatre of war where every hit has a dramatic impact (sorry, Killzone is just too big for five words).

3. Tell me about the game, what’s the story?
It’s two years later and the ISA are invading the Helghast home planet of Helghan. The goal is to capture the Helghast leader and bring the war machine to a halt.

4. What did you do on this game that you couldn’t do on another platform?
For us, we need a great deal of processing power to make our vision come to life. The PS3 really allows us to build Killzone 2 on a grand scale with a level of detail that is truly eye-catching, and something that we knew we could do, but needed the source of raw horsepower to make it happen. To give you an example, our character models on screen use the same amount of polygons as an entire level of Killzone on PS2.

5. What do you think is the coolest aspect of this game?
One cool thing to note is that we can now do many of the things we envisioned when we were creating the original Killzone. The PS3 hardware really gives us much more freedom in the development process. In my opinion though, at the end of the day, the thing I think about as a coolest aspect of the game really is the iconic Helghast image with the glowing eyes (as you can see in the screen above).

6. If you could sit one person in front of your game for an hour, who would it be?
No big names really, I would most like to see the game in the hands of our fans. We want Joe six pack to play the game and beg for more time with it than just one hour. We’re really looking forward to getting our fans’ reaction to the game.

7. What game do you most want an hour to sit in front of yourself (besides your own)?
Probably Resident Evil 5, I’ve always been a fan of that franchise.

8. How many E3’s does E3 2007 mark for you?
This is my 10th. I’m very happy to see this change in the format this year. There should be much less noise and an overall better experience for attendees.

9. Describe the pre-2007 E3 experience in five words or less.
Again, it’s impossible to do this in under five words. My pre-E3 experience has left me buried in our project. Now that E3 is here, it feels like I’m about to get out of a very long tunnel. It will also be nice to get re-acquainted with my wife.

10. You are asked to make suggestions for an E3 survival kit- what three items HAVE to be included?
For us, E3 is all about exchanging an umbrella and coat for a nice pair of shades. Our team loves to adopt the California gear: sunglasses, flip flops and a nice convertible.

11. What advice would you have for someone who has never experienced E3?
It is a very inspirational time for us as well as everyone who is a fan of games. E3 is where many great teams get together to show off a variety of amazing products. So my advice is to enjoy every single minute of it…it’s a great rush when you get to see some of the very best work from each of the companies involved.

12. Describe what you anticipate from 2007’s newly formatted E3 in five words or less.
I believe this new format for E3 will really allow for more tailored, intimate and customized experiences. A prime example is the event we did tonight for Killzone 2.

13. What’s your favorite part about developing games for a living?
It is definitely the people. I enjoy working with the wide range of talent we have, including extreme creative types as well as the analytic, technical members of our team. It is this collaborative process that magically comes together during each project, allowing us to bring our vision to life.

Add Your Own

stennex said:

July 11th, 6:07 am

KILLZONE IS OFF DA CHAIN. OH MY. GREAT WORK. GREAT EFFECTS AND DESIGN. WHEN CAN WE GET TO PLAY IT.
THANK YOU SONY & GUERRILLA GAMES.

RobinNL said:

July 11th, 6:07 am

The trailer was amazing and because it’s coming out in 2008, they can even make it a little better!

I saw the microsoft conference and it was really bad, Halo was average and other great games weren’t even mentioned:
Haze, Unreal tournament 3 etc.

Dare I to say that these are now PlayStation exclusive?

Savage said:

July 11th, 6:15 am

HD Version of the trailer now viewable from – http://gametrailers.com/player/21504.html?type=mov

It really makes a difference to see it HD. You really get to see the finer details. Now I’m impressed.

haldalish said:

July 11th, 6:24 am

mine friend just bought a ps3 after seeing the trailer. rock it

RipNLa said:

July 11th, 6:25 am

Honestly, I never expected it to look this good. Great job.

A demo or open beta would be a GREAT way to put a damper on HALO 3’s launch.

SPARDA said:

July 11th, 6:26 am

That trailer made me cream in my pants :)
At what stage of the built are you are (alpha..beta???)

This makes me proud to be a PS3 owner

40cal said:

July 11th, 6:28 am

Sony is King! Sony is King!

Jams_Shop said:

July 11th, 6:28 am

KILLZONE FTW!!!!

LeShin said:

July 11th, 6:30 am

Just seen the trailer……….MY GOD!!!!
Cousin came round, saw the trailer, shed tears and is going to get a PS3 this weekend lol!

HanSolo said:

July 11th, 6:31 am

killzone 2

WOWWWWWWWW

bye bye halo 3

artofwar420 said:

July 11th, 6:42 am

This game has promised, they didn’t bs us. YAY! Now let’s hope they take their time but it doesn’t become a Spore or a Duke Nukem Forever.

Kedaro said:

July 11th, 6:48 am

Very exciting, make it all it can be, put in everything you thought that gamers wanted, but weren’t sure if you should bother… options options options, add the need to go through the standard game storymode with multiple characters again, but make their experiences quite different, not just branching and weaving through same story… show their different personalities in their missions, like maybe where they come from or why they are the way they are, I feel that maybe the gaming community is in love with killzone for many reasons, but misses a big part of the involvement, because the characters seemed grey, you know what I mean?

And what’s with games today… where’s the shock value… I want to be rivetted to the core when I play through a story, break boundaries is my motto during development cycle, there is no reason to be timid, make that player cringe, cry, damn near bleed for the characters , and give some ‘Perspective’ to everyone who plays it, that’s what emotion in videogames is all about, make it simply ‘unforgettable’!

A Dirty Bastard said:

July 11th, 6:48 am

im buying 4 copies cant wait great work

JDPoZ said:

July 11th, 6:49 am

I’m a bit disappointed with this screenshot. The shadows on the wall are jagged-looking and the wall textures look pretty low-resolution. Also the wall looks very 2-dimensional. The cracks and chips on it look like painted-on textures. They should have depth to them.

I’ll still reserve my judgement on this game for when I see some actual gameplay, but right now, this looks like it falls far short of what was promised in the infamous 2005 trailer.

h3ro said:

July 11th, 6:50 am

Just hold onto Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear now! Come on Sony!

blizzard182 said:

July 11th, 6:59 am

I mean, really, change that screenshot…

After seeing the trailer I know that is just a bad screen, but..

Also, to ask what someone already did, what stage of development is this? Beta? Alpha? Pre-Alpha?

If it any alpha release then Halo is doomed.

mustaphadamus said:

July 11th, 7:10 am

blizzard one of the guys from GG said on the playstation forums that it is pre alpha. 1up said this game doesn’t look as good as gears of war. They need to stop it already. The animation along with visuals alone make gears of war look silly. Yes the textures can do with some improving but since it is this early on, I am positive in the end this game will meet the original CGI trailer or come close

Goodfella2487 said:

July 11th, 7:13 am

Hail the Guerilla team! Your trailer was amazing and lived up to all the hype! Congrats!

HanSolo said:

July 11th, 7:13 am

killzone 2, alpha or not, already makes halo 3 look like pong

fireras said:

July 11th, 7:17 am

So it’s confirmed then?

Guerrilla Games joins the ranks amongst our most prestigious Naughty Dog, Insomniac, SCE Santa Monica & Incognito then?

Great job on delivering the goods once more guys…and I hope Phil finally stops the whippings & torturing and let you guys finally go out and see sunshine……..for a few hours and then it’s back to the pits….we can’t afford to make you get too comfy we need this title finished with home trophies and awesome online play…lol

thechosenfew88 said:

July 11th, 7:18 am

This game looks amazing considering at what stage of its development it is at. And this game right here, is the type of quality developers need to be achieving to put on the PS3. I urge Sony to help and make available whatever is possible to other developers to make games look close as this, or even better. (I’m starting to think Sony is doing this on purpose, to make their games look better than their 3rd Party support.) But I have to give it to Sony on this one. This trailer is even more of the reason why I’m buying my FIRST PS3 this weekend. (Ya read that 360 fans?…FIRST)

blizzard182 said:

July 11th, 7:19 am

@mustaphadamus

Thanks man. And yes, considering this is pre-alpha, I can only imagine nice things coming out of this.

=)

stennex said:

July 11th, 7:23 am

I JUST SAW THIS IN HI-DEF. I THINK I AM HAVING A BRAIN SEISURE. WOW. THE PEOPLE WHO WERE THERE ARE WRITING THAT THE GAME AT THAT STAGE IS PHENOMINAL WOW. THANK YOU SONY.

mustaphadamus said:

July 11th, 7:24 am

I would like to see sony offer a mini series via the playstation store. Where every month they give us a chapter from where the story of the killzone universe starts and keep the series going until we are caught up to where the killzone 2 game will start. When I say mini series I mean to say they should have a CGI mini series. Very well done, scripted and good voice acting.

rickyraveen said:

July 11th, 7:27 am

Does anyone know if the playable 2gb demo will appeaer on PSN soon? I would really love to get hands on this, despite it being pre-alpha.

KZ2 and ps3 FTW!

Regret said:

July 11th, 7:30 am

Trailer is just AMAZING! Really, really close to 2005 E3 trailer!

Alpha_89 said:

July 11th, 7:31 am

Its so cool… “WOW”!

Darsh said:

July 11th, 7:32 am

No one gives out demos of pre-alpha software. No sense in asking, it’s not going to happen.

@124
Why not, you know, go back and pick up a copy of Killzone for cheap to catch up on the story? Instead of Sony spending money pointlessly to catch people up.

GG: Excellent work. You must have had immense pressure to live up to, and you came through with flying colors.

hot pockets said:

July 11th, 7:37 am

having a mini series would be bad. this would lead to a lot of waiting… i want the full game or a chunk of the game for a cheap price. $60 is quite hefty…

the Killzone 2 trailer was SWEET! im joining the killzone bandwagon train now… my favorite part was when the Helghst jumped from the railing. looked sooooo real! i never knew i could be amazed by gushing blood…

blizzard182 said:

July 11th, 7:41 am

For me the best part of the trailer was the man on fire. Soo real.

Grym said:

July 11th, 7:44 am

Looks almost exactly like the trailer. With a bit of work it will look even more amazing. For those nitpicking, even the CG trailer had small bugs.

buddyboy said:

July 11th, 7:45 am

CANT WAIT IM SO EXCITED HOPELY IT IS THE HALO 3 KILLER!!!

blizzard182 said:

July 11th, 7:49 am

I can´t stop posting here but is just that I was so disappointed (AT FIRST) when I first so that screenshot but seeing the trailer and to know it was pre-alpha, that was sweet.

I would say that you guys have reach the polygon detail of the trailer (At least for me). I think the fire and textures need some work.

I am not being mean. I think is great. Is just some constructive critic

=)

Am I the only one who think this?

thechosenfew88 said:

July 11th, 7:54 am

@ blizzard182

Nope…. :-)

Kaze88 said:

July 11th, 7:57 am

Im just waiting to see it on movement before judging, but you guys got a good thing going allready.

If i had to say something about the picture i would say that the shadow that comes from the helgast guy is little bit raw..harsh

hezz said:

July 11th, 7:59 am

GEWELDIG!

erm.

GREAT!

leetfoo said:

July 11th, 8:01 am

Looks nice. 1080 capable, or 720 lazy?

DooM said:

July 11th, 8:05 am

I seen the trailer of Kilzone…forget Halo 3 and Gears of War…Killzone is da new KING….. hell yeah…Guerrila your da bomb…made in the Netherlands in the city of Amsterdam….. The Netherlands is on the map of top developers…. Take your time and give us an expierence that i never will forget with Killzone….

darktorns said:

July 11th, 8:06 am

im more amazed on this KZ2 screenshot than what Halo3 trailer yesterday was.

I just love the gritty, dirty realistic graphics than another generic plastic sci-fi big armored soldier guy.

TrumpetMan said:

July 11th, 8:07 am

Great work, Guerrilla. Keep up the good work and make us proud. Personally, I will say I love the dark and gritty look of the game. You are most definately on the right track.

joel said:

July 11th, 8:09 am

Sony, I must admit that was very impressive footage of killzone 2, Just saw the trailor you guys released awsome footage. Although the guys at the intro looked a little stiff, the gameplay was just as good and even exceeded my expectations. Looks like you guys can keep a promise after all.

Ghostm said:

July 11th, 8:13 am

Just saw the KillZone 2 preview and all I can say is that I’m speechless. I think this title might really be able to compete with the halo series. Looks like Sony still got it people. Damnnnnnn!!!

HanSolo said:

July 11th, 8:20 am

killzone 2 demo NOW ON PSN!!!!

j/k

natureman3 said:

July 11th, 8:22 am

“halo3 will be the best game with the best visuals this year” => ahahahahaha !!!!
Total pownage !

EvoAnubis said:

July 11th, 8:25 am

Guy’s . . . I’ll admit it; I didn’t have high hopes for this game. After the tracesty that was E3 ’06, I had serious doubts. That is, until I just saw the new trailer. Un-freaking-real! The game is going to be great; i’m now looking forward to it. And I don’t even really like FPSs.

Ghostm said:

July 11th, 8:28 am

Does anybody knows if we could do cover fire in the game? Maybe something similar to gears?

Rzarekta said:

July 11th, 8:33 am

Killzone 2 single handedly owned Microsoft’s entire press conference. I’m pretty sure the perss agrees too.

Kratos_ate_Snake said:

July 11th, 8:36 am

“Very Nice…” – Borat

40cal said:

July 11th, 8:37 am

Sonys E3 show starts soon. What else is comming? New game? GPS/Eyetoy for PSP? New info for HOME? RUMBLE? Afrika? PSN movie/music service? KILLZONE DEMO FOR PSN? KILLZONE BETA? FFXIII NEWS? MGS4 NEWS?

SONY IS KING! SONY IS KING!

JDPoZ said:

July 11th, 8:40 am

Holy balls… Just watched the Killzone 2 HD in-game engine trailer:

Still not quite up to the visual level they promised in the infamous 2005 “in-game” (which was later revealed to have actually been pre-rendered) trailer*, but much more close than I expected!

*2005 trailer here (sorry, no HD available):

Differences I noticed between the 2005 and 2007 trailers:
• No “real-time reflections” rifle scope lens in 2007.
• Facial animations aren’t quite as good as the 2005.
• No fine hair animation in 2007.
• Textures nowhere near as good as 2005.
• No polygons noticeable in 2005; models always stayed very detailed at every distance shown; individual polygons were very visible up close on models in 2007.
• Frame-rate gets a bit choppy in a few scenes in the 2007.

With that said, this has some of the finest in-game visuals I’ve ever seen.