Marvel's Spider-Man

Sep 27

Sep 27

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction Goes Gold, Demo Coming!

Greg Phillips's Avatar Posted by Senior Producer, SIE

Hey everyone, I thought I would hop on and give you a quick update on where we’re at with Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.

I’m happy to report that we’ve gone gold! The game is finished and will hit a store near you on October 30. As some of you know, this is a week later than the Oct 23rd date stated previously, but the extra wait will be worth it. Insomniac has been hard at work squeezing every last detail, dance move and tool of destruction that we could fit onto a Blu-Ray disc (while leaving some room to fit Captain Qwark’s massive ego). This makes it the largest Ratchet & Clank experience ever.

I am also happy to report that we are wrapping up work on an updated and optimized version of our E3 demo (which is also available at Gamestop if you pre-order RCF) as I type this, and should be available via PSN in North America by October 11. The demo will be of Metropolis, the signature level in the Ratchet & Clank franchise. Well, it was the signature level… before we blew it to bits in this demo:)

Finally, I’m including a quick link to our newest trailer for your viewing pleasure. A hi-res version can be downloaded from the PlayStation Store for free. Enjoy!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

aaquib said:

September 27th, 12:20 pm

Awesome. I loved Ratchet and Clank: SM on PSP and hopefully this is as fun :)

gardea said:

September 27th, 12:23 pm

Can’t wait for Ratchet and Clank Future: ToD!!

PlayerBeyond said:

September 27th, 12:25 pm

Wasn’t it announced for October 4th for Europe?

mp7a1mobsta said:

September 27th, 12:27 pm

holy moly… i absolutely cant wait for r&c… im going to buy it the minute it comes out.. looks sick

Solace said:

September 27th, 12:28 pm

Awesome news. This is the one game I really can’t wait for.

Any word on whether having saves from previous R&C games will benefit us in this one like it has in previous R&C games?
Also, for us stat geeks, do you know what the fps Insomniac got it locked down at and what the max resolution is?

Thanks, Greg – now get back to work! No more delays! ;)

Danny said:

September 27th, 12:31 pm

I love ratchet and clank, that is my fave game

foolio_67 said:

September 27th, 12:34 pm

Awesome! Can’t wait to pick up my first R&C game!

lakaihigh said:

September 27th, 12:42 pm

@Greg Philips – this is all great news. I can’t wait to play R&C. My question for you is do you need to have played any of the previous R&C games to know what is going on in this story? Or can you just pick up the game and it has an original story and feel to it? If so then I have to go out and get all the games for my PS2 and PSP so that I can play them and beat them b4 the 30th cuz this one is a sure buy for me. I LOVE resistance and I hope to love this series just as much.

Lh

PBJ said:

September 27th, 12:44 pm

can’ t wait – this is gong to be excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XxBigP123xX said:

September 27th, 12:44 pm

so you can get the demo at gamestop but not on the psn? WHAT KIND OF BULL IS THAT? also has dev. on resistance 2 started? like have they developed a story or concepts?

BignRich said:

September 27th, 12:47 pm

I plan on getting this game, although I have never played any other Rachet and Clank games. Maybe after I get my hands on the DEMO, I’ll have my mind set.

joel said:

September 27th, 12:47 pm

INsomnica are you guys makin a RESISTANCE FALL OF MAN 2??

THAT IS A HALO KILLER! MAKE ANOTHER ONE EVEN BETTER!!

Also, R&C will hopefully do something huge for the ps3.

zookey said:

September 27th, 12:47 pm

lol how many of you have seen this trailer in japanese? one site covering tgs showed it—it was hilarious hearing ratchet’s voice—similar to the original voice actor from r&c1

Top_Shelf said:

September 27th, 12:48 pm

Great news on the game. I’m looking forward to it.

Just how large is it? Average play through time? What type of multiplayer elements are there?

zookey said:

September 27th, 12:48 pm

Sorry for the double post—just remembered, I saw the Japanese version on Gametrailers.com—you can download the hi def Japanese and English versions there—trust me the Japanese one is worth it!!

grognard66 said:

September 27th, 12:50 pm

Gamestop/EBGames needs to update their coming soon link – they still show this game shipping on 10/23! Congrats on going gold.

I played the demo disc from EB and enjoyed it – more of the same, but very polished. There’s really no excuse for this not being on PSN yet. Sony is over-managing the flow of content and only hurting themselves by holding things like this back so long.

RatchetFanatic said:

September 27th, 1:03 pm

delayed?!? ZOMGWTFBBQ!

XcoM said:

September 27th, 1:03 pm

I really can’t wait for this. Really really really really really really really really really can’t wait. I don’t even have a PS3 (yet).

MUGEN02 said:

September 27th, 1:03 pm

can’t wait to play this game.

you should of added that the game will run at 720p@60fps and 1080i@60fps(i guess this is 720p upscaled to 1080i?) what about 1080p?. also the game will take up 22GB of data on 1 blu-ray disc.

Greg Phillips's Avatar

Greg Phillips said:

September 27th, 1:04 pm

Heya Solace,

-No save carry over this time out. We didn’t want a feature that forced players to have the PS2 memory card converter (not sure what the name is) to obtain. That said, there may be something that crosses to another game in the RC universe. As for which one, well… It’s a secret :)
-60fps and 720p is the preferred hi-res resolution. However, we do support 1080i so everyone with a HDTV can enjoy RCF:ToD in all it’s hi-def glory.

zookey said:

September 27th, 1:04 pm

2nd comment again (sorry!!)—I think they delayed the demo because it needs polish—I played the GameStop one and, while it was PHENOMENAL, there was a few minor bugs that needed to be worked out (in the beginning of the level, there was a plant on a support for a bridge that would disappear and reappear rapidly as I walked around it and jumped around)—so probably the PSN demo will actually end up being better—but oh well having the BRD demo in that nice holder isn’t bad either hehe!

Kratos_ate_Snake said:

September 27th, 1:06 pm

soooooo……. the demo is delayed?????

EBE said:

September 27th, 1:09 pm

should this game be the first true AAA game for our beloved PS3 (but mainly BR player since Ninja gaiden, for me) ??
A game stunning visually, gamepla-wise (like HS?), but with more than 8 hour of gameplay (just what is needed to ruin the game and it’s impace) ?
THe PS3 is an incredible piece of Hardware. True HD from A-to-Z. THer exact opposite of the Wii. Sony took incredible risk with it. I sure hope taking RISK and WORK still PAY in these Times.
otherway, we’ll all have Futur-gen crap cheap console, thank you nintendo.
My point is that SOny did an incredible job to deliver an incredible console. But WITHOUT the AAA Games, it’s pointless.

Apostle said:

September 27th, 1:13 pm

Looking forward to the game, I haven/’t bought a game in this genre since, well, Crash Bandicoot (which I’ve been enjoying once more courtesy of the PS network). But.. please tell your EU counterparts to get off their arse’s and localise these games a bit, sorry, a lot, quiker! Please.

Thank you for clearly a fantastic game, I can’t wait to play.

zookey said:

September 27th, 1:14 pm

I think this game will rule—-as far as AAA experiences tho we already have Resistance and Warhawk so we aren’t THAT bad off—plus oh so many coming!! R&C + Folklore in the same month = me in front of the TV for about 2-3 months on life support machines so I don’t have to break to nourish myself LMAO!! IGN recently said in their Podcast B3yond that one of their guys was playing his review copy of Folklore–he wouldn’t give a sneak peek at the final number he was going to give but he said it would be high and that he really liked the game—-plus we all know R&C rules—and Greg said it was a bigger experience than the old ones—so take the longest one and expand it!

KnaveX said:

September 27th, 1:15 pm

But anyway great! This game looks promising and I love how it plays just by looking at it.

I like that frase now, “Gone gold”
But for ps3 it should go Platinum baby!

joel said:

September 27th, 1:18 pm

You guys should sue microsoft for saying halo 3 “Has gone gold” They stole that phrase from warhawk!

DrPirate said:

September 27th, 1:21 pm

Nice, I’ve been waiting for this one, looking forward to Resistance 2 after October 23rd.

Also a little disappointed I can’t do anything with my old Ratchet saves, I have every single PS2 Ratchet game.

Question though: Will Ratchet have the hooks to support a trophy system? Or will it have some type of leaderboard or some cummunity features? I know, you probably can’t tell me, but maybe if I tell you that answering that question will make it 100% sure I buy the game, interested now?

ryjo965 said:

September 27th, 1:22 pm

Halo 3 went gold before warhawk u dumbass.

zookey said:

September 27th, 1:26 pm

BTW Question for Greg P: By any chance is that ‘other’ R&C game that ToD connects too Size Matters? I just checked my PSP and I have the save file still where I beat it through around 3 times–so that’d rock!!

TheDevilsJoker said:

September 27th, 1:26 pm

60fps? Sweet! Look forward to it.

scorpio said:

September 27th, 1:27 pm

Great news, can’t wait for the demo…

orbio234 said:

September 27th, 1:28 pm

reminded of the cartoon character who is always trying to “rule the world” to a company success is vital in the billions annually gaming delivers…but come on for us little titans is it not about having fun.

Solace said:

September 27th, 1:29 pm

Could someone please tell me how can a game be homosexual?

Anyways, “going gold” is a term that’s been around long before Halo (or Warhawk) and refers to when the code is final and ready for production. It’s hardly a “new phrase”.

OT: thanks for the answers Greg!

[…] Peter Pilgrim wrote an interesting post today!.Here’s a quick excerptInsomniac has been hard at work squeezing every last detail, dance move and tool of destruction that we could fit onto a Blu-Ray disc (while leaving some room to fit Captain Qwark’s massive ego). This makes it the largest Ratchet … […]

sectionz said:

September 27th, 1:33 pm

go pre-order this at Game Stop and get a demo now ;) its soooooo worth it.

I_Love_New_York said:

September 27th, 1:34 pm

I can’t wait for this latest R & C experience I’ve played all of the games except for the first one and they’ve all blown me away. I need another great single player game right now because all I have is Heavenly Sword and Lair. I suggest you guys getting Heavenly Sword because the game kicks ass.

[…] a new post over at the PlayStation.Blog today, SCEA Line Producer Greg Phillips has dished out an important update concerning Ratchet […]

[…] Via Playstation Blog […]

grashopper said:

September 27th, 1:43 pm

I don’t know if this is your thing to answer dumb questions here but I’m going to throw it out there anyway. From the sound of things R&C is on the list of Dual Shock 3 compatible titles right out of the box. I’m sure it wont be recommended but I was wondering if I somehow got a DS3 controller would it work on R&C on a US PS3 before the actual NA release of the controller, or is the rumble feature something that is going to require a PS3 firmware update that will be released closer to the NA release of the DS3.

nmc75 said:

September 27th, 1:45 pm

I have reserved RC:TOD at my Gamestop so I also have the demo. disc. I’m curious as to what was optimized in the upcoming demo?

optimusprime76 said:

September 27th, 1:45 pm

I tried pre-ordering at several gamestops just to get the demo early, but couldn’t get my hands on it.

This here is my most anticipated game for the PS3 and every other system there is. I LOVE R&C and seeing it look this beautiful and go back to its roots of the original R&C makes me all giddy inside. Can’t wait, and go Insomniac!!!

Davitr0n said:

September 27th, 1:49 pm

Never played a R&C game before, so I am looking foward to trying out the Demo.

@ Greg Phillips #26
Good to know that the game will upscale to 1080i for those of us that can’t do 720p. The screenshots I have seen for this game are nothing short of gorgeous, and it is nice to know if I decide to buy it, I can enjoy the game in HD.

tielo said:

September 27th, 1:52 pm

I’m going to buy the game. Looking forward for this game from the moment it was announced. If I’m going to play it as much as resistance it’s worth every dime!

Just one question: why no 1080P?

[…] has gone gold by an insider, making it well on track to make its October 30th release date. Greg Philips of SCEA says: […]

Oompa said:

September 27th, 1:55 pm

Gratz on finishing the game! Looking forward to the demo! :)

AwRy108 said:

September 27th, 1:59 pm

The demo that’s available at Gamestop has NOT been optimized–it still has the screen tearing and framerate issues found in the original E3 demo.

fuzzbuns said:

September 27th, 2:03 pm

R@C games are great. I am really looking forward to this. The previous games have been fairly long and have had great replay value… not to mention they are simply fun to play. I actually just purchased all 4 of the playstation 2 games within the last two months because I had always wanted to try them but had never played them before. I was really missing out…. some of the most fun I’ve had with a game in a really long time. If you’ve never played a R@C game before I recommend picking up Up your arsenal, going commando, and Deadlocked, the original is good too, but they refined the game more in the later ones. They’re all under $20.

40cal said:

September 27th, 2:13 pm

R&C ToD looks great. Yet I must echo the people who want RFoM 2 because I am one of them

PAGE 1 2 3