PlayStation VR

Oct 11

Oct 11

Personality Profile: Everyday Shooter Creator, Jonathan Mak

Jonathan Mak's Avatar Posted by Creator, Everyday Shooter

Hi everyone, I’m Jonathan Mak, creator of Everyday Shooter, a game I know you’ve heard a little about recently from Rusty Buchert. I thought I’d pop by to give everyone a purview into the life of the one-man developing crew that is Quesy Games (me). Here are few photos to illustrate.

My PS3 is sitting on the box that it came in.

I look forward to playing Heavenly Sword on my 12″ TV.

Most developers have mountains of candy and soda. I have seaweed.

Yesterday I bought 5lbs of hash browns.

As I’m writing this, I’m talking to a game developer who’s friends throw pig’s blood at each other.

I can no longer stay awake for more than eight hours at a time.

The Everyday Shooter code has no 4s or 5s execpt in the combination of 54, or in very rare instances 0.5, because 5 and 4 are very unlucky numbers.

There are eight levels in Everyday Shooter and eight points in this post because eight is a very lucky number.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

tearsofash said:

October 11th, 11:21 am

That sounds intriguing, Jon. Good luck with everything.

DarKaoZ said:

October 11th, 11:23 am

Hey good luck with this game. Hope you get in a good place with this work.

elutej said:

October 11th, 11:23 am

I want whats in pic 4..if it’s real anyway..

Malicore said:

October 11th, 11:23 am

Nice work Jonathan,

I’d like to see more posts like this on the PS blog. I’m realy looking forward to playing your game.

lightweaponx said:

October 11th, 11:26 am

I agree, 8 is a very lucky number.

bignobes said:

October 11th, 11:27 am

Man…i want to be your friend….1 person making a game that is coming out on PS3 is one of the most intriguing things that has happened in gaming in a looong time….i cant wait to buy this game a little bit later on today….Jon Mak will you send me a friend request my PSN id is xBiG_BOSSx i would really like to play some resistance with you or something dude..peace

chainlink13 said:

October 11th, 11:29 am

Hashbrowns sound really good right about now…

alballam said:

October 11th, 11:31 am

PSN update!!!

Kamahl said:

October 11th, 11:34 am

lol

weird post, i like your style

[…] Chris wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptHi everyone, I’m Jonathan Mak, creator of Everyday Shooter, a game I know you’ve heard a little about recently from Rusty Buchert. I thought I’d pop by to give everyone a purview into the life of the one-man developing crew that is … […]

Rzarekta said:

October 11th, 11:42 am

HAHA, man, I feel for you with that TV. Hopefully Sony will send you a nice new HDTV to play Heavenly Sword on. Sony, are you listening??? Send this man a new TV. Anyway, I’m buying your game tonight. I look forward to playing it.

Gord Lacey said:

October 11th, 11:44 am

Way to go Jonathan. I look forward to playing your game later today. I was also pleased to hear you’re from Toronto – a fellow Canadian!

Gord

sarge mat said:

October 11th, 11:44 am

Its great too see a small studio (in this case, one man!) doing so well. Good luck with every day shooter looks like a blast!

Reluctant Hero said:

October 11th, 11:51 am

Jonathan, I’m really looking forward to your game. I’ve been waiting to purchase it since I saw it at GDC in March.

I hope your inspired to create more games. The industry needs more people like you.

enrichovega said:

October 11th, 11:52 am

I wasn’t going to buy this game. However, after looking at these pics of his place this game is now a day one purchase. No one should have to live in conditions like this!!

Loucetios said:

October 11th, 11:54 am

dude ur crazy in the good way :D

qrayg said:

October 11th, 11:55 am

Dream Theater’s Octavarium might be a fun listen if you are into that whole 8’s and 5’s cycle. Every minute detail about the album revolves around 8’s and 5’s… time sigs, lyrics, song numbers, notes, everything; the 24 minute title track is crazy with 8’s and 5’s. Even the band’s history has some really weird coincidences with 8 and 5. It’s really bazaar.

TwinsDad said:

October 11th, 11:55 am

Awesome Post. Love to see more blog posts like this.

Neil said:

October 11th, 12:01 pm

I agree, I’d love to see more posts like this too.

RobinNL said:

October 11th, 12:08 pm

Awesome post!

XxBigP123xX said:

October 11th, 12:09 pm

dusty ps3 ftl

Kamahl said:

October 11th, 12:10 pm

how much is this game going to cost? that post made me wanna buy it

Agriel said:

October 11th, 12:10 pm

now that you got the hook up with Sony tell them to hook you up with a new TV lol. Anyway can’t wait to play this game on my PS3. This is by far one of the oddest posts yet on this blog, thanks lol

silentmatt said:

October 11th, 12:11 pm

Yeah, it was pretty great.

I’m so looking forward to Everyday Shooter.

DrPirate said:

October 11th, 12:12 pm

What’s up Johnathan Mak. Congratulations on the completion of your game. As a fellow Canadian: I hope it brings you alot of future and success. Show em how we do it!

If you don’t mind, I would appreciate a friends invite (I’d like to game with celebrities :P) PSN: DrPirate

C-h-a-o-s said:

October 11th, 12:12 pm

A couple of comments:

If I could afford a PS3 it would have it’s own shrine.

The pigs blood thing becarefull P.I.T.A doesn’t come after you :D.

Those sheets could be what’s not making you sleep.

Hash browns are always a must, but not always at once.

Fabi said:

October 11th, 12:13 pm

Word! My kind of dev! Hilarious, haha who plays Heavenly Sword on a 12″ TV!!!??? Please Sony hook this man up! Game looks very interesting by the way.

Ghostm said:

October 11th, 12:14 pm

Nice post man! Good luck with your new PSN title.

frito said:

October 11th, 12:14 pm

NICE!

seaweed and hashbrowns…I understand you completely man! any seeds in that seaweed, or is it sensei?

hehehehe..

Hopefully you soon will no longer have to squint at that tiny tv, i predict great stuffs in your future man! You are an inspiration to budding developers like myself- I have been noodling with Flash making goofy simple actionscript games and animations for a few years now..

hopefully Sony will allow a dev kit for basic home users and allow us to share our creations also!

Good luck man! I’ll be playing your game later today!

peace! and easy on the hash!

sectionz said:

October 11th, 12:18 pm

omg if your mom saw this mess she would be really disappointed.

she will be happy to see that your not materialistic though .. good mom.

nmc75 said:

October 11th, 12:20 pm

Maybe the death event should actually have 4’s. And any bonus point events should have 8’s. 1-up code events should have 3’s for sure.

cdalgard said:

October 11th, 12:21 pm

buy a new bed, mattress, sheets, pillows, and a down comforter before the HDTV. you will be pleased.

scott said:

October 11th, 12:28 pm

u are wild..lol

Anakinsella said:

October 11th, 12:37 pm

You rule man. You are like the epitome of the (my) American dream.

Daver said:

October 11th, 12:38 pm

Hahaha awesome post loll i loved it… anyway good luck with your game, ill be buying it

sascha23 said:

October 11th, 12:42 pm

Based on the random content of this blog, I may purchase this title. Quirky and dry are easy way to sell me on a project.

kanyn said:

October 11th, 12:42 pm

Great post. It looks like you PS3 likes seaweed too.

[…] sole developer, Jonathan Mak, would be offering a little of his own insight, too. Well, it’s up, and though it doesn’t touch on the game’s genesis, it does shed some light on your […]

Helghasp said:

October 11th, 12:53 pm

I’ll be purchasing your game today on PSN :)

Herby said:

October 11th, 1:01 pm

Great post and great pics.
Can you show us pics of your apartment after you receive your check from Sony?

I can’t wait to download this game and can’t wait for future games from you.

pr1m3_5u5p3ct said:

October 11th, 1:10 pm

is that hash browns or hash brownies?

gamesblow said:

October 11th, 1:12 pm

Hmmm… Can’t help but think he posted these shoddy pics of his shoddy set up so we’d all buy his game and support his road to better hardware. Anyways, you never had to… I’m buying the game and making sure everyone else I know does the same. It’s amazing. Simple 100% amazing, trust me, folks.

LiquidMetal14 said:

October 11th, 1:15 pm

Will there be a demo Jon? Great work BTW.

lakaihigh said:

October 11th, 1:21 pm

@ Jonathan Mak – dude!!! major props bro for all that you have done… I can’t even imagine the time and effort plus creativity that you put into this game. It blow my mind and so does your hilarious post on this blog. I’ve been coming here since day one and I’ve never seen anything on here like this before. I’m buying this game to support you man and because it looks like hours of addicting fun.

I have a couple questions for you… Do you plan to make Everyday Shooter a series or just developing extra content to be downloaded later? Do you have plans outside of Everyday Shooter, such as other original titles that will be downloadable off of the PSN?

Hope to see you on this blog more and on the PSN. If you ever have time to play Resistance hit me up lakaiHIGH

Thanks and Peace,
Lh

SPARDA said:

October 11th, 1:25 pm

Hey Jonathan,
it’s great to hear from you. Looking forward to play your game.
I hope Sony is a least hooking you up with a kick ass Bravia LCD to replace your 12″ dinosaur with….LOL
Congratulations to you and best of luck

SPARDA

MrDaBucket said:

October 11th, 1:28 pm

Lucky bastard…..I wish I had a PS3/could make games.

reesimo said:

October 11th, 1:33 pm

I am going to buy your game. Mostly because it sounds like it’ll be awesome. But also because I don’t want to hear you’re playing Heavenly Sword on that horrible, horrible television anymore.

zapruder said:

October 11th, 1:36 pm

I’m not so sure that’s ‘seaweed’ …not after seeing what you call a ‘TV’.

kinshadow said:

October 11th, 1:40 pm

I’m not sure if I would go around posting my pot filled PS3 on a major blog. :)

BTW, when are we going to get a Everyday Shooter demo?

lakaihigh said:

October 11th, 1:46 pm

@ #49 kinshadow – hahaha. WOW. do you even know what pot and or seaweed looks like?

Peace,