Horizon Zero Dawn

Apr 07

Apr 07

PSP Firmware (v3.95) Coming Soon

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Just a quick update, we’ll be making PSP firmware update 3.95 available shortly. The update includes the following:

• While playing PSone games on your PSP, you can now customize how the buttons are assigned by going to [Controller Settings] > [Assign Buttons] and select [Custom].
  • You can now quit Remote Play and choose to turn off your PS3 or leave it on after quitting. This is useful if you are performing a download and want to quit Remote Play, but still want your download to continue on the PS3. Select [Quit and Turn Off the PS3 System] or [Quit Without Turning Off the PS3 System] from [Quit Remote Play] when you press the HOME button on the PSP system.

PSP Screen

For details on remote play, refer to the online user’s guide for the PSP.

As always, thanks for your feedback and support.

Add Your Own

scorpio said:

April 8th, 6:05 am

Nice little update…

Enforcer_X said:

April 8th, 6:08 am

Nice update! I am glad to see the small things aren’t being overlooked!

To bad Sony can’t add a second analog stick and R2 and L2 buttons to the PSP.

Also a little off topic but can the PS3’s Blu-ray drive be Firmware flashed to make it read at 4x kind of like the Sony DVD burners got a Firmware flash to upgrade the write speed?

Gunwing said:

April 8th, 6:16 am

Man more new features!? Even if it’s not a PSP store like most fans crave right now this is great that the remote play feature gets expanded like this! Even the DS Wii connectivity stuff is mostly dropped by Nintendo due to online cheating, and the like.

This rocks! Thanks for your continued support and getting what the community wants on your systems!

Coolwater said:

April 8th, 6:45 am

I’m pretty sure that you already had the option of quitting remote play without shutting the PS3 off.

So that makes this officially the lamest update yet.

LokeSTL said:

April 8th, 6:57 am

How about making PSP games playable on the PS3 when the two systems are connected? This should have been done from the start.

Seanscythe2 said:

April 8th, 7:27 am

@97 well my ps3 says “unsupported” maybe I need to turn something on but I think everything is on.

StalkingSilence said:

April 8th, 7:57 am

Always glad to see new PSP/PS3 functionality. Though I assumed quitting remote play before still left the ps3 on because it would continue to run folding at home. But whatever, I like the continued support.

Also, it will be nice to map custom buttons for Twisted Metal 2, since all the provided button schemes were crappy. Looking forward to using this in the future.

40cal said:

April 8th, 8:08 am

GPS for PSP? In the states!

Thanks.

adeleon said:

April 8th, 9:52 am

The GPS is slated for release in the States later this year. Stay tuned…

elmonstro said:

April 8th, 8:16 am

OK, I’ve been holding out on getting a PSP, but now I’m getting one. Cya online!

Gunwing said:

April 8th, 9:00 am

@ 104:

No we were only able to tell the PSP to trun it off or on if we closed the connection. This way the PSP will ask each time you close the connection instead of it being set like we have to do it now.

IE once you set it to turn off the PS3 you can’t change it right now, but with this update you can make your choice at will without having to take up extra space to save the setting each time you do it.

afrosheen said:

April 8th, 9:06 am

Neat little update but we’re still missing DivX. Our big brother has it, it doesn’t take much grunt to decode, just fork it over already please.

cloudstrife13 said:

April 8th, 9:10 am

Good stuff.

Can we see more PS1 games on the Playstation Store to download for PSP?

Final Fantasy VII
Gran Turismo 2

are the two I’d really like to see.

adeleon said:

April 8th, 9:54 am

We know there\’s an appetite for PSone games and are definitely working on getting more of them on the Store.

Anthrax809 said:

Syphon Filter 2
Syphon Filter 3
Lunar: Silver Story- Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete

Aaron said:

April 8th, 10:23 am

Dont forget Metal Gear Solid 1 for the PS Store too :)

Aaron said:

April 8th, 10:25 am

oh adeleon is there any chance you answer one or both my questions at https://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/04/07/psp-firmware-v395-coming-soon/comment-page-1/#comment-52998

Thanks adeleon!

adeleon said:

April 8th, 10:38 am

Hey Aaron, the God of War PSP bundle will be released in June — check back here for the official launch date.

The new Store interface will require a firmware update, and we\’ll be providing the timing and firmware version number soon.

Aaron said:

April 8th, 10:47 am

Thank you for the reply Adeleon! I really appreciate it. So the God of War PSP bundle comes out in June. I was reading around different sites that said it was coming out in May. That is why I decided to ask about it here. Can’t wait for it!

Also can’t wait for the video for the new PS Store hopefully it gets put up soon :D

P_tear_griffin said:

April 8th, 10:49 am

Do away w/ the remote-play icon on thePS3’s network section. When already on, have the PS3 simply recognize anytime the registered PSP wants to access remote-play.

I should’ve phrased that as a question. I don’t know how hard that would be to implement. Is that a possibility though?

Thanks for the PSP update.

Modus Operandi said:

April 8th, 11:09 am

Hey Eric,

When can we have multiple PSPs play during remote play?

JDPoZ said:

April 8th, 11:21 am

Metal Gear Solid is available on the Japanese PSN store. Why isn’t it on the US Store? Do you people not like money?! Who is in charge of this kind of stuff?! What happened?!
You started doing right when you got “Wild Arms” and “Castlevania : Symphony of the Night” on the store. Now, get back in gear and put Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Tomba, and Einhander in the store NOW!

Thank you.

superbone547 said:

April 8th, 11:21 am

Oh, that’s nice. I had tried to play PS1 games on the PSP before, but I just couldn’t find the perfect options with what was preset. Might not seem large, but these are actually awsome updates.

whoelse said:

April 8th, 11:26 am

Its all very good but i would start to use Remote Play more if the video quality and response time would improved greatly. And not one or the other where i have to have ‘high response’ but then give up ‘high video quality’.

Thanks for updating my PSP though!

Sora57 said:

April 8th, 11:47 am

Adeleon: with the GPS coming out for the US, will it work on the PSP-1000 (phat)?

stennex said:

April 8th, 11:49 am

All of these capabilities were already available on the PSP. Has anyone pointed this out. Or am i going crazy. For the past few months i have been using these remote features. Ability to customize the buttons, log off of remote access and log back on. IT seems like an old update made new.

Violater said:

April 8th, 12:44 pm

Insert obligatory “Ingame XMB” “HOME” comment here…….
and here…….

stennex said:

April 8th, 12:47 pm

Sony needs to have better ways to show new features that are available for their systems. I really enjoyed the videos they posted on this site for the PS3 update and Warhawk. I hope that more of these videos are done so that more gamers are in the know. These PSP features are not all new. I also would like to know if videos of updates and added features will be also posted on the new PSN store so that more gamers are reached? Thank you.

PSN: stennex
GAPmember

leetfoo said:

April 8th, 12:54 pm

@120 Not just that- They also have Resident Evil 1 and 2 on the jp store… It really does make me wonder sometimes if SCE America just doesn’t want money. A handful of junk games here while JP has a truckload of awesome classics. Sigh.

thingg said:

April 8th, 1:04 pm

Wait, I thought the store update was just for the PS3 store. Are you doing the PSP store as well?

Aaron said:

April 8th, 1:11 pm

@128

no right now its just for the PS3 PS Store.

spike021 said:

April 8th, 1:12 pm

Hey adeleon, any word on if original PSP adopters will still get equal say in functionality? Or maybe just allow us to make our own applications as I am sure there is a way to do that without being connected to piracy.

You would definitely sell more systems that way.

And as above, MGS 1, along with Final Fantasy VII are the titles that we need.

Kazammm said:

April 8th, 1:20 pm

I guess the prompt to turn off or not turn off your PS3 is more intuitive. Although, it was possible before.

The option to map buttons is nice. The remake games like FF 1-6 could really use mapping from their NES or SNES roots. Other RPGs for PS1 could use it too. Any chance this mapping could come to the PS3 as well? It would be annoying to learn a mapping on the PSP and another on the PS3.

I am guessing it only works for PSP games that are on your memory stick, not PS1 games playable over Remote Play. Am I right???

Oh, and when watching a video, the PSPs square button allows to jump to a part of the video with a small frame displayed at the top. This is totally missing from the PS3. It’s amazingly useful when (like me) you have recorded TV shows (via a TV tuner) on your PS3 or media server and you wanna skip a part of the show, aka the commercials. :P Again, any chance this could make it’s way over to the PS3?

Thanks for all the work guys! I am loving my PS3 so far!

scorpio said:

April 8th, 1:28 pm

I would LOVE MGS1 on my PSP!!!

Hoping this happens sometime…

Sembazuru said:

April 8th, 1:47 pm

Actually, I think the prompt to turn off or leave on the PS3 when closing RemotePlay will be annoying. It is forcing yet one more button press. Before the two options (my PS3 is off so I don’t have the exact wording) of Quit RemotePlay and Turn off PS3 were at the same level. I always thought that Turning off the PS3 automatically implied that RemotePlay would shut down because the PS3 I was RemotePlaying to vanishes once it’s off…

I understand the idea of compartmentalizing and organizing like-features in a menu system, but this just seems to be adding hierarchical depth for no reason.

Looking at the online manual (which has already been updated for the new firmware), I see a Connection Status entry. Either I don’t remember it, or it’s new as well. But this reminds me of something that I’ve often through would be good. Some sort of signal strength indicator (any time Wi-Fi is being used) next to the time or battery indicators when you press the PS button.

flipah said:

April 8th, 2:20 pm

Nice update ;-)

How about these updates in the future:

– Stretched fullscreen for UMD-games and games/media streamed from PS3 when PSP is connected to LCD-TV through component.

– DivX-support with a limited 480p resolution, if not, perhaps automatically downscaled.

– Ability to still play audio on PS3 when Wifi or PSP goes to sleep when connected through remoteplay.

– And of course more God Of War games for PSP.

Cheers! :-D

Gregero said:

April 8th, 2:24 pm

@124

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Weren’t we already able to have the option to turn off the PS3 or leave it on? I remember leaving it on to download things while I use my PSP regularly. Also I believe we already had the option to either quit remote play leaving the PS3 on or quit remote play and shut the PS3 off. This update was pretty unnecessary if you ask me.

stennex said:

April 8th, 3:23 pm

So i a not going crazy. lol.

PAYBACK-Joker said:

April 8th, 3:25 pm

Great, now only if the God of War PSP was out, I’d be even more excited!!! I cannot wait for that little red puppy to come out and I can take full advantage of all of these cool things the PSP has or is getting!!! Nice work.

spike021 said:

April 8th, 3:26 pm

System… $130-200, Games… $30-50, accessories… $1-750, useful homebrew……. priceless.

boxmyth said:

April 8th, 3:58 pm

It’d be nice to have a feature to have the PS3 automatically shut down after the downloads are complete(both with remote play and normally), which would help when I remotely start PSN downloads with my PSP over my lunch break on Thursdays and don’t want to keep signing back on to see if it’s done yet.
It’s one of the few 360 features that I’d love to see the PS3 have.

Richard said:

April 8th, 4:10 pm

Im having some problems with Video playback, when you try to fast forward or use the scene search feature, the video becomes distorted, this is with fw 3.95 installed.

papeshm said:

April 8th, 4:21 pm

Sony why can’t you give updates for people who can’t use playstation store and people who don’t have a PS3

WHAT said:

April 8th, 4:23 pm

@140 the forums are more of a place to discuss, but if you press the PSP Home button when in Remote Play you can adjust the Quality and Response time.

AndyBD said:

April 8th, 4:38 pm

I’m not sure about the second part, because I just turn off the PSP during remote play, and the PS3 stays on.

stennex said:

April 8th, 4:45 pm

I tested this so called new update out. The only difference i see so far is that there is a second or third instruction asking if you would like to turn of the system or just remote play. What i am noticing is that i am having trouble using the internet option to remotely access the PS3. Private works fine but from last month the internet option does not work. Is there a problem on your end Sony?

XxBigP123xX said:

April 8th, 5:25 pm

You should let us use the PSP as a controller for games that we can play through remote play

Ex: using the PSP as a remote for Pixel Junk Monsters or High stakes on the vegas strip.

Since the ya know, i was expecting to be able to use the PSP as a second remote for the PS3…

Richard said:

April 8th, 5:27 pm

Gregero said:

April 8th, 6:02 pm

Stennex,

The same thing is happening to me- I can remote start the PS3 using Private Network, but when trying to remote start it using Internet it’s a no-go. I’ve found that I’ve had to disappointingly leave my PS3 on remote play at home if I want to access it through internet, and because of that I must leave it on if I want to access it again while I’m out. I hope Sony fixes it.

StormLord said:

April 8th, 7:42 pm

Nice!! keep it up :)

APaz said:

April 8th, 11:59 pm

Good lookin out Sony. A very useful feature.

tcapeles said:

April 9th, 7:55 am

the update is ok cant wait for the store update