Paragon

Apr 10

Apr 10

Firmware (v.2.30) Details and Store Walkthrough

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Hey Everyone! We know you’re all patiently waiting for the next PS3 firmware update, ver. 2.30, which includes the revamped PLAYSTATION Store. The good news is that it’s coming soon, and you can now see how the new user interface will look in this video demo featuring Grace Chen.

I have more good news to report today – the system software update will also add DTS-HD Master Audio output for Blu-ray videos, which means the high-definition visuals of Blu-ray will now be matched with the highest quality audio for the ultimate movie-watching experience on PS3.

DTS-HD Master Audio is literally bit-for-bit identical to the studio master recording and makes movie soundtracks and sound effects truly come to life. The technology delivers audio at the incredibly high rate of 24.5 mega-bits per second (Mbps) on Blu-ray disc, which is significantly higher than standard DVDs. DTS-HD Master Audio also offers 7.1 audio channels at 96k sampling frequency/24 bit depths, so you’ll be totally immersed in the sound. The firmware update will add DTS-HD High Resolution Audio as well, which is a similar output technology that requires less disc space. You can read more about both codecs here.

A lot of you, particularly the home theatre enthusiasts and audiophiles out there, have been asking us for this capability, and we can’t wait until you have an opportunity to pop in a compatible Blu-ray video to test it out for yourself.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 9

TristanMike said:

April 10th, 10:44 am

@Eric, Grace or adeleon…

A quick question regarding BETA programs. In the “old” store, if you were involved in a BETA program, the BETA icon would appear on the Featured Items page, then go to your downloaded software section once you actually downloaded it….how will that change with this new store ? Since stuff doesn’t “disappear” then will it always be on the Front Page ? Or will they have their own sections ? Just curious.

Thanks in advance :D
TristanMike

TwinsDad said:

April 10th, 10:44 am

@146 Necrozero

Just please shutup about home and In-Game. They are coming the Blog has stated so, whining about it will do no good.

I think this is the actual first reason I will upgrade my firmware. I haven’t because they have never added anything I was interested in, and the forced updates were harming my opinion of Sony. Now I’ll gladly update. the old store was horrible.

BTW. The Home whiners, Sony never stated Home other then 2008. We still have months to go.

Lirion said:

April 10th, 10:50 am

With all the horny guys here I would be surprised if we’ll see Ms Chen again doing a video walkthrough.

Anyway, great walkthrough and can’t fait for the firmware update.

Madness3120 said:

April 10th, 10:55 am

Still no movie or music downloads?

SDkngsht said:

April 10th, 10:57 am

possibly…POSSIBLY…the best post thus far on this blog. there have been game announcements that were great news (uncharted, motorstorm 2, resistance 2, etc) but this is something that we use weekly if not more often so that combined with the sound upgrade is incredible.

i just bought the bose lifestyle home sound system. can we get a list of bluray movies that have this new audio feature so i can test it ASAP?!

B1ack_Mage said:

April 10th, 10:58 am

Looks amazing! So much better than the store we currently use.

When will we see the Playstation Cards? I’ve been asking about them here on the blog since it was started. I don’t have a credit card so I can’t buy anything, so please say something about them. Don’t you want our money? And to get your attention:

Playstation Cards!
Playstation Cards!
Playstation Cards!
Playstation Cards!
Playstation Cards!

thanks

boxmyth said:

April 10th, 11:01 am

I’m really hoping the firmware update goes live BEFORE the morning of the 17th so I can take my PSP to work and download the new stuff once it goes live later that day (since I’m pretty sure you can’t update the PS3 firmware through the PSP).
Any chance of that happening, Sony?

KingOfHearts said:

April 10th, 11:03 am

This is cool but she did’t say anything about if we will still be able to re-download something if we delete it or something where we need another copy of it.

And there are rumors about Movies comeing to the PS store is any of that true?

joecolly said:

April 10th, 11:11 am

Will the account management sections still be web based and such? Just I found those areas to be just as annoying as the old store. It would be nice to be able to change my avatars and account information with such ease too!

Seri@lkiller said:

April 10th, 11:14 am

It would be nice to have the option to make a wishlist , right now there are no psn cards atleast here so i would want to make my wishlist for when they become available here i would just hop on the store check my list and buy the test

RolexDPracer said:

April 10th, 11:15 am

Nice improvement.

cmargary said:

April 10th, 11:16 am

Awesome store, a lot better that we use now, with animations and sounds and everything. The first time that you have a better navegational and unique store interface because the current one looks like an old AOL home page.

Anothe on topic thing is that the ps3 becomes a true bluray wishes coming true with the bluray live and DTS MA they can’t complain now, just wish new bluray features.

*All this road guide us to the FW 2.4 :)*

Polyphony NL said:

April 10th, 11:28 am

It has the SingStar interface. The SingStar interface works wonderfully.

buri0819 said:

April 10th, 11:29 am

GREAT JOB SONY LOOK AT THE RESPONSE

OF GAMERS WHEN YOU GIVE THEM WHAT THEY

WANT GREAT UPDATE…

Aaron said:

April 10th, 11:30 am

WOW PS Store is way better than the XBLM! Sony is doing a awesome job! Thanks Eric and Grace!

I do have one question. Will we be able to listen to music stored on our PS3 hard drive while browsing the store?

APaz said:

April 10th, 11:30 am

Looks sweet!

buri0819 said:

April 10th, 11:32 am

ALL WE NEED SONY IS HOME,MOVIE DOWNLOADS,IN GAME XMB, AND MORE PS1
GAME TO PURCHASE AKA RE,RE 2 U GET MY
DRIFT. O I FORGOT KILLER PS3 TITLES AND
YOURE GOLDEN BY THE WAY GREAT UPDATE
VERY NICE REDESIGN AND DTS MA! AWESOME

willacuz said:

April 10th, 11:33 am

Hey SONY,

Your forum and other media is getting overrun by people “Claiming” To have Code:80010514 errors. With less than 1 posts. Same group of people are more than likely pushing and publishing these stories all around the net as well.

But hey, thats what happens when you don’t link PSN Id’s to the forum.

COOL__JOSH said:

April 10th, 11:34 am

it worth waiting one more week

Withnail said:

April 10th, 11:39 am

Wow, that’s hot. The store looks OK too.

Herby said:

April 10th, 11:40 am

Great video thank you.

mgillespie said:

April 10th, 11:41 am

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get a decent host for your blog videos. on my 8Mbit DSL line, it’s totally unwatchable.

Can someone upload it to Youtube, you have ample capacity, or stick up a MP4 download.

It’s not just this video, it’s ALL your posted videos…

Withnail said:

April 10th, 11:41 am

Oh forgot to say, the 360 just got owned. Sony domination is right around the corner.

CitizenInsane27 said:

April 10th, 11:48 am

I’m definitely enjoying these updates, as well as seeing the video walkthroughs which give us a more personal run through of new firmware features and also show the faces that are behind the motions. I’m constantly impressed by the precision of small holes being plugged up by these updates! Things like the DTS-HD feature weren’t particularly necessary but are welcome updates considering the vast power of the system. Thank you for continuing to listen to your consumers and I hope to see more neat posts about things to come.

Ninja Kn1ght said:

April 10th, 11:51 am

Great post. MGS4 will be amazing.

Do you guys at Konami know if Europe will be getting a Limited Edition of MGS4 ?

rahstar2003 said:

April 10th, 11:54 am

Helllloooo Grace! ;) The hd master sound is really good.

Nintendohater17 said:

April 10th, 11:55 am

This is great! But now with the release of this firmware so close to the 2.2, does this mean we are back to about monthly firmware updates?

Kedaro said:

April 10th, 11:58 am

@ Withnail

My sentiments exactly…

Where has she been hiding, I think she is very easy to listen to, and has a pressence(idunno), maybe she could take Phil Harrison’s place? In fact I bet if you guys put an intelligent beautiful female in a powerful PR position, you’d find that a lot of prospective female consumers will pay more attention, for longer periods of time, increasing the value/attach rate of your user base.

I’m sure the powers that be have thought of every which angle, I’m not here to try to 1up them, in fact it’s probably common sense, female = attracts males, and female = relates to other females… unlike the majority of males do.

Just wanted to put my two cents in, I truly love how this .blog community is not hugely populated yet, It really makes us all feel integral to Sony’s ‘Big Picture’, even morso than being in the GAP at times, perhaps it’s time to invite a select group of people from this blog, to a new elite group, from my experience you have some of the most intelligent gaming minds in the entire industry posting here, in between some of the spammers/trollers etc.
Hand picking them for something ‘Special’ would be a very honorable thing In my opinion.

Jezer29 said:

April 10th, 12:00 pm

Can you please tell me if now we’re going to be able to hear our music while browsing the store?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

rahstar2003 said:

April 10th, 12:01 pm

Is it possible we can get a help icon or something like that on the ps3 to help explaing some of this “24.5mbps etc.” that may sound foriegn to some ps3 users. I know we can get on the internet to look these things up, but isnt updates about making things more user friendly and convient. Thank you :)

WHAT said:

April 10th, 12:04 pm

The screen focal point move from left to right a lot. I hope that does not strain people eyes while searching for content.

Neil said:

April 10th, 12:04 pm

Looks great and Grace did a great job (much better than watching Major Nelsons mug).

;)

thechosenfew88 said:

April 10th, 12:08 pm

Great update! I love the video demonstration showing off the goodies coming April 15th. Can’t wait! But I have one simple question that didn’t get answered in another post.

When you want to get content now off of the Playstation Store, does it still go through a download and then install process? I know it may have been like that before because it was web based, is that still the case?

-Thanks and great job on the store! :-)

snipeshot14 said:

April 10th, 12:16 pm

nice

ExtremeOne said:

April 10th, 12:19 pm

I am really looking forward to the relaunch of the store

deafwing said:

April 10th, 12:21 pm

I always liked Sing stars interface … this looks a lot like it. Good job. Here’s hoping you guys push the design envelope even further.

rsx3.2 said:

April 10th, 12:23 pm

Love the new store. The ability to watch videos before you download is awesome. Feels very fluid and slick. Good job sony.

GibbShift said:

April 10th, 12:24 pm

Woo! It looks just like the Singstore. Not being web-based anymore makes me a happy camper. And they said that it’s going to look just as good on my SDTV. Can’t wait till April 17th.

joel said:

April 10th, 12:25 pm

Just a question that I asked before but hasnt been anwered.

Can you access the XMB while you are browsing the store? Sort of like when your on the internet browser you can just press the ps button and by in the browser and send messages, listen to music and what not while running the browser.

Will that be implimented into the PS STORE now that its part of the interface?

Vegaz said:

April 10th, 12:27 pm

Looking good. I like that they don’t disappear anymore,I just upgraded my hard drive the other day probably should’ve waited to re-download everything. Would’ve been easier with this.

I certianly hope the Canadian prices are properly adjusted/equal with the new store. I kinda want to get rid of my other system as it’s starting to malfunction again.

superbone547 said:

April 10th, 12:32 pm

the only major concern that I have is this:
Will there finally be a search function for the store? Yes, it looks and navigates better but a traditional search ability would help navigating the store even more than this great update.

markstew said:

April 10th, 12:33 pm

i ask sony to watch the movie The Shining!!
there are some minor playback issue’s on VC1 enabled blu-ray titles sometimes show signs of video tearing.
seeing that H.264/avc is a more demanding codex then VC1 i am sure it will be fixed in the future.

a filter to get rid of artificial film grain on blu-rays would be a nice add-on ;)

incredibilistic said:

April 10th, 12:35 pm

Looks awesome.

Question: Since the PSN Store resembles the SingStore will we get a progress bar of the items we’re downloading along the bottom of the screen similar to the SingStore? Or will view downloads in progress as usual, from the XMB?

New Store looks great. Ms. Chen is very attractive. We get high-def sound to go along with the high-def visuals. Can’t wait for the update.

Protopet said:

April 10th, 12:39 pm

Great job guys, thanks for listening to us!

Can’t wait to listen to my Fox BD’s in DTS-Master. The PS3 is the best BD player out!

The store looks great!

TheGraciousOne said:

April 10th, 12:42 pm

wowwa wowwa! mamma mia! for now on i’ll be nice to Ms. Chen on Thursdays. (I mean no disrespect)

Anyways, the revamped PLAYSTATION store looks pretty nice.

krayferr said:

April 10th, 12:50 pm

Is this update going to also fix the problem that some of us are having inputting our debit card info? The “card information is invalid etc” thing. It’s nice that it gives you that error yet a $1 hold is put on your card. I’ve used this card to purchase things everywhere else without any problems (including other consoles).

krayferr said:

April 10th, 12:50 pm

So_Sublim3 said:

April 10th, 12:55 pm

It looks pretty sweet but i don’t know i’m looking more forward to Home then this isn’t anything really blow my mind about. Until Home comes out for my PS3 i still like the xbox live a little more.

krayferr said:

April 10th, 12:55 pm

Eric, Grace, or anyone else can you please answer this? Is this update going to also fix the problem that some of us are having inputting our debit card info? The “card information is invalid etc” thing. It’s nice that it gives you that error yet a $1 hold is put on your card, proving that the info is correct otherwise the hold wouldn’t be there. I’ve used this card to purchase things everywhere else without any problems (including other consoles).

krayferr said:

April 10th, 12:56 pm

Apologies for the triple post.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 9