God of War

Apr 25

Apr 25

SOCOM: Weekly Wrap-up

David Brothers's Avatar Posted by SOCOM.com

XR_WM5

That’s one month done for SOCOM.com, so you’re due for another weekly wrap-up. What went down over the past week? Have a look.

Friday

• Art, Tools, & Tech – Stephen O’Grady comes calling with a ton of photos and info on how SOCOM graphics are created.

Monday

• We’re Almost There! – The embargo on new SOCOM info is almost over! I talk about it a little bit here.

Tuesday

• Gun of the Week: SAS-R – Another week, another gun. The SAS-R gets a spotlight this week. There’s no video, but there is a promise of info to come.

Wednesday

• Closed Beta? Wait! – Abigale on the SOCOM.com forums is kicking off the closed beta selection process. Take a look at how it’s going.

Thursday

If you’re looking for an easy way to keep up with SOCOM.com, click this link and add SOCOM.com to your RSS feed reader of choice.

Add Your Own

Makasu said:

April 25th, 3:25 pm

Looks great!

XxBigP123xX said:

April 25th, 3:39 pm

Um…where are the textures?

theredfoxisquik said:

April 25th, 3:51 pm

This game looks awesome.

SolduNuts said:

April 25th, 3:54 pm

I can’t wait for this game.

Cerberus_Hunter said:

April 25th, 4:33 pm

Aww…no video for Gun of the week. Lol

@XxBigP123xX

Are you blind? The textures are right there…onlines game never looks as good as a single player game. plus this game doesn’t come next week.

ChrispyCritter said:

April 25th, 4:55 pm

Another great week!!! Keep it up :)

gardea said:

April 25th, 5:46 pm

Hope I get in the BETA.

frito said:

April 25th, 7:13 pm

I remember alot of my friends always playing Socom on the PS2!

One of the few games to really embrace online multiplayer in the early days of dial up connections!

hope this new Socom helps sell some PS3s to those who remember the fun they had on the PS2 version!

frito said:

April 25th, 7:14 pm

heheh-

after re-reading my previous post, it seems i really like exclamation points-

!!!

Locster60 said:

April 25th, 8:36 pm

That pic makes me wanna jump over the wall and throw a grenade….. ohhhhhh

Biohazard said:

April 25th, 8:41 pm

Awesome guys,glad socom confrontation will be like socom 1 and 2.

LOCO209 said:

April 25th, 9:05 pm

SOCOM BETA ???WHEN DOES IT START when does it end and I WANT IN

Kedaro said:

April 26th, 1:53 am

@ #2 forget your hard to spell on the fly name

I gotta’ LO to the L you, because you’re ridiculous if you think that’s lacking texture, just look at the clarity, you can see forever… and every single tile-stone-tablet-pillar is perfectly represented it seems at even the furthest draw distance, If it’s lacking any texture at all I’d be suprised, but then again, it might be, It’s going to be just ‘that damn good’, don’t be a complete synic.

Jae Starks said:

April 26th, 7:03 am

Slant Six is doing a wonderful job of giving Socomer’s hope that this could potential be the best Socom yet.

– J Starks

E-CAPITAL said:

April 26th, 9:29 am

The games looks great minus the recoil situation. I’m a little skeptical about the shaking screen. :0[

PsychoEddie said:

April 26th, 12:51 pm

@David

Does the game have a gamma correction option?
Can players talk to each other while playing online and if so, please tell me there’s a mute option.
Can I find someone on my friends list and join their game?
Can I add someone to my friends list without having to exit the game?
Is there a lobby where players talk smack before and after a game, and can the mewling eight year olds be muted there too?
Can players be kicked/voted from a game?
The socom series is legendary for being buggier than chameleon crap. Combined Assault has an unfixed bug list longer than Tommy Lee’s drumstick. How extensive is this game being QA’d and is a triage team being assembled to deal with bugs after launch? The Warhawk folks have set the bar on customer support, so you’ll have a tough row to hoe.
I don’t play any of the socom games any more, because of the innumerable bugs they contain and the rampant game hackers that infest the servers. Why should I layout my hard earned frog skins for this game?

Vegaz said:

April 26th, 3:14 pm

“SOCOM BETA ???WHEN DOES IT START when does it end and I WANT IN”

Read the link,can’t get in now I guess. Had to be nominated by forum memebers or something like that. I was hoping it was different than that,I have G.A.P but wasn’t given a beta invite for anything yet.

shamska said:

April 27th, 12:43 am

Hello,

Sounds great.
I have a question regarding eventual split screen option.

I play warhawk very often in 4 player print screens, that is a very good and fun feature.

Do you plan to add a online 4 player split screen option ?

HIPPOPOTAMUS said:

April 27th, 8:32 am

#2 is right. The textures are terrible and very low-res. Click on the image, then click on “all sizes” and it will load the full size image and you can really see how low res and blurry the textures are. There are lots of games that also look great in multi-player with high res textures so that’s not a valid excuse.

Pyroman said:

April 27th, 10:47 am

Pfff…Warhawk looks even better, SOCOM doesn’t really look like a next gen game !!!I’m really disappointed by those pics!!I hope you will raise the level of details…Are you in trouble with the PS3 hardware?You can do better, than that!!It looks like a PSP game!!

stinkey said:

April 27th, 1:32 pm

c’mon make this the 2nd beta i get into for the year

Neo217 said:

April 27th, 3:48 pm

Man is this game getting better and better as we get closer to release date. SOCOM IS BACK BETTER THAN EVER ON PS3.

APaz said:

April 28th, 2:24 am

Looks cool

PSN3 said:

April 28th, 4:10 am

Have to say that the visuals are very underwhelming. Call of Duty 4 had a lot more going visually, and I don’t see why this should be any different.

TouchyEd said:

April 28th, 7:24 am

The visuals ARE massively underwhelming. Agree completely.

The texture work is borderline dreadful. Especially the buildings and walls that are close to the players. They look extremely blurred and very low resolution.

It’s 2008. Not 1998. You need to substitute high-resolution maps for objects that are in the foreground.

Please let the Nintendo Wii be the lone champion of bad graphics.

TouchyEd said:

April 28th, 7:27 am

…and to the people saying that the textures are good, you really need to view the full-size images, not the thumbnail views posted in the blog or at SOCOM.com.

And then compare them to any other modern shooter.

The differences are quite apparent.

KREYZEE said:

April 29th, 7:31 pm

I cant wait keep the info coming!!! oh and choose KREYZEE for beta!

scruffy5 said:

April 29th, 8:55 pm

ok look i never played socom online i think its going to be great what i want to know y make it online only thats stuipd i want more out of it come on sony HOOK ME UP!!!!

Pimp_U_2 said:

May 1st, 1:49 am

I just want to state for the record that im not usualy a blogger and I hope to represent the rest of my demographic by saying. That not everyone is being given a chance to represent their opinions Confrontation. Because as far as I can tell from all the research i’ve done u get most of your data from bloggers. You need to expand your data gathering technique. Such as letting ppl register an email, then have polls sent out. Because sometimes a reply is much friendlier then a Post. And hey just being honest some of us are lazy LOL. But I think if you did widen your research audience you wont upset everyone else unwilling or unable to post on BLOGS.