Knack 2

Jun 17

Jun 17

Firmware (v2.36) coming soon, (v2.40) to include trophies, in-game XMB

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, Marketing & PlayStation Network

A new PLAYSTATION 3 firmware update (v2.36) will be launching soon, improving system stability when playing select PlayStation format software titles. We’re also happy to officially report that the 2.40 system software update for PS3 will include “XMB” access in-game. The update will also include “trophies,” an exciting new feature that we’ll be providing more details on soon, as well as some other new enhancements. We’ve talked about some of this on the blog previously and know that many of you can’t wait to get your hands on these features. You can expect us to share all of the official details shortly.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 16

Withnail said:

June 17th, 3:18 pm

@35
we don’t get 2.40 because it’s still being tested.

I’m surprised so many people around here still haven’t worked out the numbering system. If the version number ends in 0 it has new features. These get released according to a fixed internal schedule, usually on a Tuesday (Monday night in the US). If it doesn’t end in 0 it’s a bug fix or a security patch, and these come out as soon as they’re ready. 2.36 is a patch, it’s coming to fix something. 2.40 is the new stuff.

rsx3.2 said:

June 17th, 3:19 pm

why not skip 2.36 and just release 4.00. And how long is shortly in sonys terms?

tearsofash said:

June 17th, 3:19 pm

Ah. So many new things to download this week. PSP fw, PS3 FW, firefox 3, and opensuse 11 all in one week? Nice.

VenomX said:

June 17th, 3:19 pm

BioShock with trophies confirmed

Clover09 said:

June 17th, 3:20 pm

Good to hear but 2.6? Isn’t that just a .1 higher from the last Im anticipating 2.4 and am worrying it’ll go 2.36, 2.37, 2.38, 2.39. Whats up with all these numbers anyways?

will11 said:

June 17th, 3:20 pm

i want in-game XMB NOW!!!!!!!!!

joel said:

June 17th, 3:20 pm

1 question:

Will you guys release 2.40 this month?

That all I want to know please confirm if its coming out this month.

jling84 said:

June 17th, 3:20 pm

Glad that this is finally coming out. I hope we won’t have to wait half a year in between 2.36 to 2.40.

biggpun142 said:

June 17th, 3:21 pm

does anybody now when this update is coming

Joakim Hagdahl said:

June 17th, 3:21 pm

These other new enhancements sound interesting.

Solidsnake0 said:

June 17th, 3:21 pm

OMG thanks!

crazyeighty8 said:

June 17th, 3:21 pm

I cant beleive soon there will be no more complaints about in-gme xmb. Would like to know if all xmb content can be accessed in-game?.

StupidityTries said:

June 17th, 3:21 pm

@ Eric Lempel
… I don’t envy your job.
D*mned when you do – d*mned when you don’t.

Daemus said:

June 17th, 3:21 pm

Can we assume this indirectly implies in-game messaging and “custom soundtracks” (through a playlist in Music)?

frombrosis said:

June 17th, 3:21 pm

This is awesome news, finally, the most oft-requested feature comes to the PS3. And finally, all those tools who kept banging on about it can STFU!

Good work Sony… yet again, showing signs that the old Sony of 2005-06 is dead and buried and this Sony actually listens to its customers and fans. Well done.

crazypenguin said:

June 17th, 3:21 pm

AHHHHH, SO FREAKING EXCITED ABOUT OFFICIAL STATEMENT!

VenomX said:

June 17th, 3:22 pm

By Friday this will get up to at least 2,000 comments.

SantanaClaus89 said:

June 17th, 3:22 pm

Details “shortly”… hmmm… Shortly in Sony’s perception of time could be July 2018.

Thanks for at least confirming that it’s coming. I’m glad you finally decided not to insult our intelligence anymore. Seriously, though… Hurry up and get it out. It’s already a year and a half late.

SolduNuts said:

June 17th, 3:22 pm

Thank you Eric for making this rumor official. I was tired of telling my buddy about the 2.4 rumors, but he was not listening to them. This is going to boost the feature set of the PS3 to almost the same as the other guys who charge yearly.
Now if we could get that movie rental serivce Sony was hinting at a while back.

will11 said:

June 17th, 3:22 pm

they realized if they did not mention 2.40 all the comments would be asking about it.

B1ack_Mage said:

June 17th, 3:22 pm

Can you just put 2.4 out before 2.36? :P

Sounds great, hopefully it comes sooner than later

PS: Playstation Cards?

StalkingSilence said:

June 17th, 3:23 pm

Rad.

skaterricky said:

June 17th, 3:23 pm

Freaking AWSOME NEWS every this made my day even Better :D

Bring Out the BIG GUNS ;)

The shiznit is going fly say bye bye *BOX ;)

Im sure 2.36 is to improve up on geting ready for 2.40 :P

Can’t wait for more news!

PSN:Skater_Ricky

JordanBlack68 said:

June 17th, 3:23 pm

Well Done Sony!

tirminyl said:

June 17th, 3:23 pm

Great update Eric! Glad to hear some of the items firmware 2.4 includes. It is ALSO great that you were able to preemptively put an end to a barrage of posts when users turn on their PS3 only to find its firmware 2.36.

Can’t wait to find out what these other features are….officially! Thanks!

AltimusGTR said:

June 17th, 3:23 pm

The question everyone must have now is when for 2.40? I assume soon since PixelJunk is releasing in July and will have Trophy Support.

I have have one thing to say, thank you Sony!

usc2007 said:

June 17th, 3:23 pm

thank you sony, now just let us now when is “soon”

IceColdKilla44 said:

June 17th, 3:23 pm

THANK YOU!! FINALLY AT LAST!!

sorry, but all this about in-game xmb and trophies have only been rumors up until this point. i knew you guys (Sony) wouldnt let down all of your Playstation Fans. NICE!!!

i just hope that “soon” means June 18th! and if not then, at least before the end of this month?!? YEEAA!!

MeltTech said:

June 17th, 3:24 pm

How about in firmware 2.5(if not already included, I don’t want to delay things anymore), include the following:

Multiple network settings saved, ala PSP. My PS3 travels with me, but my home network doesn’t. I’d like to save my parents settings, my home wired, my home wireless. Mostly, not have to go through the process of saving my default all the time.

Post videos default back to XMB, and a shuffle, repeat(folder) options. I have a folder full of music videos I’d like to play through during parties. I hate how each video goes dead at the end of play, that dreaded || symbol!

BTW, MGS4 rocks!

TAGImperium said:

June 17th, 3:24 pm

Well finally Sony speaks!! The rumors and speculation can finally die off. I don’t understand why there’s going to be a 2.36 instead of going right to 2.4. Oh well, 2.36 probably lays some of the code needed for 2.4.

I can wait now. Just wanted some official conformation and we got it.

Relax people. It’s coming soon…….

VenomX said:

June 17th, 3:25 pm

Metal Gear Solid 4 supports trophies :)

SuperTanker said:

June 17th, 3:25 pm

You da Man, Eric!

TheApprentice said:

June 17th, 3:25 pm

They should hit us wih 2.36 tonight…

Then 2.40 tomorrow night :D

chamberz840 said:

June 17th, 3:25 pm

YES! Can’t wait for both trophies AND in-game XMB!

Cant wait

BabeBro said:

June 17th, 3:25 pm

As long as you guys know what’s in demand, I’m good. Please hurry and give us 2.40. Every single PS3 owner is anticipating that update.

belfastguy said:

June 17th, 3:26 pm

looks like you have taken note of my last comment in the PSP update blog :) sounds good lets just hope it gets here soon :)

scubafinch said:

June 17th, 3:26 pm

@52 Makes sense with the version numbers. However Sony really should provide more detailed release notes with the minor firmware updates. If firmware 2.36 fixes a couple of titles I don’t own then it would be nice to wait for 2.4.

playstationalltheway said:

June 17th, 3:27 pm

I think we will see some more info tommoro.
But seriously how soon is soon?

CitizenInsane27 said:

June 17th, 3:27 pm

I would definitely expect 2.36 either tonight or by the end of the week, as for 2.4, I think we will be left salivating til the end of the month. But that’s me just guesstimating. Either way, THANK YOU SONY!

SolduNuts said:

June 17th, 3:27 pm

I would also like to thank everyone at Sony who pushed, worked, or helped in anyway possible to make 2.40 a reality.
Thank you so much Sony you just made multiplayer gaming on the PS3 infinity times more better.

Cobra Girl said:

June 17th, 3:28 pm

Confirmation of v2.40!! Thanks for the birthday present Sony! :D

whoelse said:

June 17th, 3:28 pm

Im sure Sony is very happy they can stop all the annoyance of people requesting in-game XMB and trophies.

On a side note, i’m so glad they didn’t stick with ‘accomplishments’.

Sev1512 said:

June 17th, 3:28 pm

Thank you for finally confirming the features of FW 2.40

http://playstationlifestyle.net was right…

Littleronin said:

June 17th, 3:28 pm

After 2.36 when should we expect 2.37. I mean you guy have dragged you feet on implementing this stuff and now expect people to be happy when you say “oh its coming, but not until after an incremental update”. I got an idea how about fixing MP4 streaming instead of having your customer service playing telling people that you just dont care that people are having issues still with it. Or how about not saying a word about a game, feature, or firmware until you release it. Instead of letting people down time after time.

joeymp said:

June 17th, 3:28 pm

I KNEW IT, KNEW IT, KNEW IT!!!! IT WAS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME!!!! THANK YOU SONY OMFG!!!!!!! THANK YOU THIS HAS TO BE THE BEST DAY OF MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!!! I JUST GOT OUT OF SCHOOL TODAY, THE SPORE DEMO CAME OUT, THE NEW COLDPLAY ALBUM WAS RELEASED, AND NOW THIS!!!!! i JUST MIGHT CRY!!!!!OMFG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! BTW I WAS LISTENING TO THE COLDPLAY SONG “LIFE IN TECHNICOLOR” OFF THEIR NEW ALBUM VIVA LA VIDA WHILST HEARING THIS NEWS AND IT FELT SO PERFECT!!!! YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO IT!!!!

the_icon said:

June 17th, 3:29 pm

So when is it?

gamesblow said:

June 17th, 3:29 pm

I would like to send out some much needed respect to Eric and Grace and Jeff for all they do here and all they put up with. From me, from others too, but mainly me “ha”

I just hope Sony’s new WWS boss doesn’t step in and cut this project too like he’s been doing so much lately. Maybe that guy needs to be smacked in the ass with a 9 iron and told to not abuse his power.

Just a thought.

Mikelarry said:

June 17th, 3:29 pm

oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. finally no need to quit my game to get in contact with my friends. this is a grrreat day

Money1 said:

June 17th, 3:30 pm

thank you for confirmation, finally I will be able to come online without hearing complaints of xmb, it really was annoying

SantanaClaus89 said: