God of War

Jun 29

Jun 29

Firmware (v.2.40) Walkthrough Part 1: the XMB

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Hi everyone! We know you’re all patiently waiting for the next PS3 firmware update, v2.40, which includes XMB access in-game and Trophy support. The good news is that it’s coming soon, and you can now see how accessing the XMB from in-game will work in this video demo.

Shortly, we’ll be posting another video here on the PlayStation.Blog that shows the Trophy feature in action for the first time. At that time we’ll provide even more details on how firmware v2.40 will enhance your PLAYSTATION 3 experience.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 13

Grey said:

June 30th, 12:25 am

In game XMB is great and all, but I personally don’t see the utility. Sony, is there any chance of the rather limited selection of audio/video formats being improved any time soon? What I would really like to see added in terms of multimedia support (in order of priority) is FLAC, Vorbis, Xvid (streamed), and DSD via HDMI. Of course, I would like my PS3 to be able to play everything including the kitchen sink, but those would be a great start.

That being said… To all the people asking if you can access the store while in a game, I would say that that’s most probably a “no”. That would involve switching focus from the game you are running, which as you’ve seen, will ask you if you want to quit.

The Unknown said:

June 30th, 12:25 am

Very, very nice. I’m impressed. =)

Two quick questions, though (if these are repeats, I apologize):

1.) Using in-game XMB, will I be able to play music stored on a media server as well? I tend to store all of my music on a server that I broadcast wirelessly throughout my home’s wireless network. I can access the music off of it with no problems when I use my XMB currently. But, again, will I still be able to access that server-stored music with the in-game XMB?

2.) Also, can the Internet Browser be used in conjunction with the in-game XMB? I tend to look at a lot of guides if I am item-hunting in certain games, and this would be invaluable to me so that I wouldn’t have to quite my game to check the guide.

I understand if you are too busy to read this, but thanks anyways. Keep up the good work! =D

Kenaue said:

June 30th, 12:25 am

@elorm

We’ll find out about tropies and cards in a few days.

CommanderLander said:

June 30th, 12:25 am

Nice.

Sony is really starting to dominate. With 2.40 and a video download service coming soon, PSN is pretty much on par with XBOX live. Lets not mention that PSN doesn’t cost me $50 bucks a year and the PS3 doesn’t break like my xbox has 3 times already.

Kudos to the Sony team. Looking at hardware sales since launch, PS3 is crushing the 360 by over 3.3 million consoles worldwide. The gap is only going to widen more.

And please dear god outsell the wii this console generation. It is a stupid gimick and is doing nothing but dumbing down YOUR industry. Don’t forget what nintendo did to you with the SNES CD! Show them whos industry this is!

SOOOOOOOOONY said:

June 30th, 12:26 am

I LOVE SONY OMG THIS IS AWESOME! RIGHT NOW THERES ONLY ONE THING MISSING, BUT I DON’T MIND, AND THAT IS IN-GAME CHAT. The reason I don’t mind is that I know that you guys will eventually bring it to us. THIS IS AMAZING! ERIC I <3 U, JEFF I <3 YOU!

DevilHunterDante said:

June 30th, 12:27 am

@203 Sony showed em with the Beast known as the PS2 which continues to sell

prowlingfox said:

June 30th, 12:27 am

@203

Well said.

Gameboys said:

June 30th, 12:28 am

thanks a lot – cant wait to get the update ! :)

Garcia5 said:

June 30th, 12:28 am

sooo when you say next few days does that mean tuesday 12:00 am befor the lunch of 2.40 or are we not getting this untill next tuesday? becuase i noo u guys only doo firmware updates on tuesdays right?…..this is ganna be the sickest update on the ps3 and doo we get gamer cards this firmware or not till the next firmware update?hahah sorry for all the questions

prowlingfox said:

June 30th, 12:28 am

207,

you speak for us all.

nofi_tsa said:

June 30th, 12:29 am

Good job guys, glad you got the video out!

Nofi.

stone669 said:

June 30th, 12:30 am

at last playstation sets their foot down I’ve waiting for this moment especially the ingame music thanks so much playstation the fans love u

prowlingfox said:

June 30th, 12:30 am

well i stayed up for this…now its time to get some rest. i’d like to see how many pages of comments there are by tomorrow morning…at this rate, there’s gonna be like…100

Synthesize said:

June 30th, 12:31 am

So does anyone else want to see voice-messaging, private chat and a cross-invite system to be implemented?

IN-GAME XMB NEEDS TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ADDING THIS FEATURES!!!

Synthesize said:

June 30th, 12:31 am

*THESE

SOOOOOOOOONY said:

June 30th, 12:31 am

ERIC COME ON OUT AND CONGRATULATE THE SONY TEAM WITH US. DON’T BE SHY MR.!

cinnister said:

June 30th, 12:31 am

when should we be expecting the trophy vid?

iorkara said:

June 30th, 12:31 am

I LOVE SONY.

Synthesize said:

June 30th, 12:32 am

@212

It’s already over 100. Perhaps you meant 1000? :)

babybluedb said:

June 30th, 12:32 am

thank you to all the members at sony who made this possible and for putting up with all of our nagging about having these features this feature will rock with my MGS4 bundle thank you can twait for the next video

Dark General said:

June 30th, 12:32 am

When you guys said “In game XMB is coming” you wasn’t kidding. You didn’t half step it or anything. You guys went all out for us, thanks sony.

Cordy said:

June 30th, 12:32 am

Just like everyone else, I’m looking forward to this update and have to say thanks.

I think it’s safe to say if he didn’t mention it, it’s not a feature in regards to in-game xmb. So I’ll say that at this time, in-game video chat isn’t supported otherwise he would’ve mentioned or showed it off. Also as far as streaming songs through DNLA while playing a game, I’m going to have to call a no on that one. Any game that currently supports custom soundtracks requires the songs to be on the harddrive. If the game goes online, streaming would conflict and slowdown the the network connection which would not lead to optimal online gaming. Think of the reasoning behind why when you play an online capable game, all current downloads are suspended.

dinosauriac said:

June 30th, 12:33 am

This is now officially the most excellent entertainment machine on the planet.

Kenaue said:

June 30th, 12:33 am

To me, the PS3 and the 360 are on equal terms now feature wise. (Gamewise, I’ve been with the PS3 for a while, and I like these ones better). To me, the only thing the 360 had that I was envious about was in game messaging and soundtracks. I can FINALLY get rid of the crappy music in Burnout and Orange Box.

afurry said:

June 30th, 12:35 am

Very impressed… You left me hanging with the Trophies though!!!!!! Man, I can’t wait till we get this update.

BabeBro said:

June 30th, 12:35 am

I’m so excited! Thank you guys so much! And please try to ignore the idiots that can’t stop begging for cross voice chat. They are obviously ungrateful and unappreciative of your effort and work towards delivering a great/working firmware update. Keep up the good work and know that your hard work is valued by us as PS3 users. Thank you for the walkthrough and I am looking forward to the new update.

Synthesize said:

June 30th, 12:35 am

Over 40,000 views in less than an hour. This is gonna be HUGE.

gamesblow said:

June 30th, 12:36 am

@223

Ps3 is now on par with xbox 360 “Feature” wise, huh? I don’t remember the last time I was able to play a blu-ray or edit/swap pics on the fly and surf the net with the crapbox 360.

But if you can do that on yours, then hey lemme know where you got it.

Synthesize said:

June 30th, 12:37 am

They still need to add VOICE-MESSAGING to be on par with the other service!!!

Bierbeer said:

June 30th, 12:38 am

@ 221.

About DNLA streaming: Sony could just implement that it is only used while playing non online games. But thinking about this again i have to say this has nothing to do with it. Streaming is a private network ability and online gaming is your connection to the internet. Private network is 54Mbit/100Mbit/1000Mbit, the connection to the internet is for the most of us around 1-20 Mbit so there should be bandwith enough and it doesnt have to be a problem.

Then again i agree, if its not in the video then it wont be in 2.4 :)

absolute said:

June 30th, 12:38 am

-Universal friends list (cross game invite, cross game chat)?

001 said:

June 30th, 12:38 am

This is the greatest video I’ve ever seen. Hurry up and show trophies =D And thank you for the clock, it’s small, but a very nice touch. IN GAME MUSIC YES

cybermansa said:

June 30th, 12:38 am

FINNALY! TOOK ALMOST 2 YEARS FOR WHAT WE SHOULD HAVE HAD FROM DAY 1.

Kenaue said:

June 30th, 12:39 am

You know what I mean. I’m talking about features I’ll actually use. I don’t need to edit pictures, I have an actual photo editor for it. I also rarely ever use the internet browser thanks to the magical invention called the LAPTOP.

skunkhaus said:

June 30th, 12:39 am

Very nice, mass kudos to the hard work making this happen.

Feature Proposal #1 (Screeny):
Can we get an XMB option to take a screenshot of whatever game/video/music visualization/etc is currently running behind the XMB? It seems that a core-system option to screenshot would be a godsend, and easily done within the hypervisor. The same could be said for video grabs, but I understand the limitations that would need to be touched here…

Feature Proposal #2 (Hibernate):
XMB “image-freeze”, or Live-Pause, Hibernate, whatever… XMB option to save current system state (memory dump) to save to disk the memory state of the system and shutdown. Basically I’m playing the best I’ve ever scored in a game, then I get a call and I have to leave immediately — I just write a memory image, shut down, and can restore later once my crisis is over. Again, some contingencies here (especially on-line), but force the user to “resume or discard” next bootup and you get the idea. Basically pausing a Xen virtual machine.

Feature Proposal #3 (BOINC):
While my PS3 has been an active contributor to Folding@Home, there are other projects I’d love to contribute some cycles to. Can we get a native PS3 port of the BOINC client, so we can add/queue other distributed computing projects? The Cell rules the roost, time to share the wealth.

Many thanks!

gamesblow said:

June 30th, 12:39 am

@225

I don’t need cross voice chat. I don’t need voice chat period, cause if I want to talk to someone I’ll call them. All I wanted was the option to swap Resolutions on the fly inside the game.

But not even while playing. I’d be happy if I could boot the game up in 720P and then realise it was a 1080P game and say “man, I gotta switch this” and then go to display settings using the xmb and then uncheck 720p and the game could then reboot all together.

The problem I have is when I get all the way into the game. thru the logos and the inital load, realise it is still in 720p or even worse 1080p on a 720p only game and have it revert to 480P.

Being able to swap in game would be a huge benifit to anyone with a 1080p lcd tv.

stone669 said:

June 30th, 12:40 am

yay i’ve waiting for this a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time but at least now we know what in game xmb has (ingame music)cooool keep it sony
NOW JUST HURRY WITH THE UPDATE 2.40 FORGET VIDEOS BRING THE UPDATE

Cargobob said:

June 30th, 12:40 am

yes this is so awesome this day is here

almattitude_v1 said:

June 30th, 12:40 am

woohoo!

saunderswan said:

June 30th, 12:41 am

Sweet

iAndres said:

June 30th, 12:41 am

Please! I am begging you with everyone else who commented! implement an in-game(cross-game) voice chat feature into the game for 2.40! This is the only thing i ask for FW Update 2.40!

SOOOOOOOOONY said:

June 30th, 12:42 am

OMG OMG w00t

Neo217 said:

June 30th, 12:44 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO! SONY IS THE BEST.

WiCkEd Co said:

June 30th, 12:44 am

Finally in game music, I hope they get it like the Xbox, I can play my game with my music set to random and if a song comes on I don’t want to hear I just use the Xbox DVD remote to skip to the next song. No opening a menu. I do this allot on Call Of Duty because you really don’t want to open up a menu while playing online.

Chubbs said:

June 30th, 12:45 am

Here’s a great suggestion. For music, similar to the “Received Message/Buddy on/off”, there should also be a popup that tells you the next Song/Artist/Album/(Length?) whenever the song goes to the next played item while your playing your game.

I also hope there is plug and play Ipod support, in which you could control your music and such.

Those two things would make the update more perfect.

nysosym said:

June 30th, 12:45 am

First of all, thank you for so much hard work!

But here is a question, will ingame xmb also be possible if i play a Blue-Ray Video Disc and the second part of the question, will it be possible, to change ingame the sound output (hdmi to optical out etc.)?

caliman87 said:

June 30th, 12:45 am

Cool..The communication we all so many needed in our games. And music is a huge plus. Nice video showing everything. Looking forward to the next video and the 2.4 update. The sooner the better.

Chubbs said:

June 30th, 12:46 am

@iAndres

Yes, we do need some private voice chat rooms when people play different games and such. Hey, maybe even while watching a Blu-ray movie too LOL.

wholearmor said:

June 30th, 12:47 am

see I told you Jeff its allover now the moment we all been waiting for to finally close the book on this IN-GAMEXMB talk

Synthesize said:

June 30th, 12:47 am

@225

You have everyone’s phone number on your friend’s list? A lot of people don’t want each others phone numbers because they are friends over PSN. Voice messaging is easy to use and convenient whenever you need to talk or send a message to somebody.

VOICE MESSAGING FTW!!!