PlayStation VR

Jul 31

Jul 31

The Last Guy Is Here To Rescue You

Josh Miller's Avatar Posted by Producer, Sony Computer Entertainment America

Recently at E3, SCEA announced some really cool PlayStation Network titles, including Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic, Fat Princess, Flower and Crash Commando. Well, the goods keep on coming because I’m excited to tell you today about ANOTHER new downloadable title we are bringing to PSN very soon: The Last Guy.

Before I say too much else about it, fire up this first-look gameplay trailer to learn a little bit about the premise of the game:

Pretty crazy, right? The trailer talks a bit about the story, but here’s some more detail. Set some time in the 21st century, a mysterious purple ray hits Earth, turning anyone touched by the light into a monster or zombie. With zombies roaming the streets, unaffected people lucky enough to have been inside a building when the ray hit are anxiously holding their collective breath, waiting for someone to rescue them. As The Last Guy, you are the survivors’ last hope to survive this global crisis. Actually, the hero of the game is himself a zombie from the Himalayan mountains, on a quest to save the remaining humans from the zombies that have infested it.
Go forth and save!!

As for the gameplay, here’s a basic rundown. The Last Guy is a fast-paced and addictive classic arcade style game with simple controls. The game uses real-life aerial maps of various cities around the world, including Tokyo, London and Los Angeles. As the player, you are the last remaining hope in each of these cities to rescue mankind from the zombies roaming the streets. As you navigate the city, you gather survivors hidden throughout buildings and other nooks and crannies in the city. Once rescued, the nervous survivors will form a line behind you. The objective is to lead them back to the Escape Zone so the United Rescue Force can pick them up and whisk them off to safety.

The Last Guy - Mission

To complete a stage, you have to get enough survivors back to the escape zone before time runs out. Which isn’t as easy as it looks, because if zombies get too close, the people in line scream and scatter back into the buildings, meaning you have to rescue them again. So you’ll want to keep everyone as far away from the zombies as possible.

The Last Guy - Escape Zone

Along the way, you will encounter 10 types of zombies , not including tougher “boss” enemies. As the Last Guy, you possess special powers like thermography or heat vision to help you see where survivors are hiding. You’ll also find helpful power-ups, like freezing time, warping back to the escape zone and temporary invisibility, scattered throughout the city to help avoid the pesky zombies.

5 The Last Guy

Well, that’s it for now. There will be much more about The Last Guy in the weeks to come. Thanks!

Add Your Own

danielakadanny said:

July 31st, 9:00 am

That game looks like a good game and challenging at the same time

iNime said:

July 31st, 9:03 am

The Last Guy! is number 1! in da world! Playstation 3, The Last Guy!

X1rtam said:

July 31st, 9:05 am

The basic gameplay reminds me of a minigame in HOTPXL, though real-world maps makes it much more interesting. Love the innovative content on the PSN!

Solidus_Dave said:

July 31st, 9:10 am

maybe a bit more details please? :)
– “soon” = what date?
– will this first be a starter-pack like the japanese-Release today? (only 500Yen, but also just 3 Areas/1? City)
– I guess that game will have different cities for each region it is available? Will the other cities be Download-Content?
– Pricing-model?

as an extra thought, I think we should call the humanoids in this game Mutants and not Zombies? ^^

Josh Miller's Avatar

Josh Miller said:

July 31st, 10:42 am

Dave,

All I can say right now is that the 14 levels will be cities from all parts of the world.

As for your other questions, I hope to be able to reveal more information in the near future.

SDkngsht said:

July 31st, 9:18 am

man…definitely picking this one up.

as a gamer that was 3 when he got his first nes system i love to see so many NEW ideas coming from the PSN. and with free online play i have no problem spending money on these quirky little games that are always suprisingly great.

i was skeptical with rubber ducks, flow, pixel junk monsters, even pixeljunk eden. i’m done being skeptical. this will be a first day pick up for me. can’t wait.

SDkngsht said:

July 31st, 9:20 am

hey…i know it’s coming soon but any chance we could get San Diego on the game? or even later as a downloadable city?!

NEW DOWNLOADABLE CITIES (including san diego) LATER ON!!!

either way i will be picking this up. i love the new unique ideas you guys keep coming up with on the PSN. old classics are cool to revisit but new experiences are just refreshing and what makes the PSN the better online service.

billsk8 said:

July 31st, 9:21 am

anyone knows why no store has receive the greatest hit??

BabeBro said:

July 31st, 9:30 am

Will this game have trophy support?

mendezgato said:

July 31st, 9:31 am

this game looks fresh and I like fresh lol any one here that has all the trophies for sshd could you tell me if there is a platinum trophy in this game?

Ghostm said:

July 31st, 9:31 am

Look interesting.

Any words on Life with Playstation? It’s the last day of the month.

erico316 said:

July 31st, 9:41 am

this is too funny.this game better not be more then 5 dollars or else its will bomb.

nmc75 said:

July 31st, 9:43 am

The Last Guy + Fat Princess = The Last Fat Princess. ;P I’m getting both these games because they sound pretty fun.

Jenovah said:

July 31st, 9:52 am

The Last Guy is #1!

EvoAnubis said:

July 31st, 10:01 am

Ok. I’m interested, but I’d like to see a demo.

todwurst said:

July 31st, 10:04 am

Geez Sony, give a guy a break! All these cool and quirky PSN titles are nickel-and-diming my wallet to death.
Aw, heck with it. Keep it up! More! More! More!

kingxtreme81 said:

July 31st, 10:05 am

You definitely have my interest peaked.

Can’t wait to hear/see more.

gardea said:

July 31st, 10:09 am

It looks like fun, but I’m still more excited about Fat Princess.

thingg said:

July 31st, 10:11 am

wow that looks awesome! Keep it up with all the original games. btw, will this have trophies?

Dave702 said:

July 31st, 10:18 am

Life with Playstation???

C-h-a-o-s said:

July 31st, 10:22 am

It looks like an interesting game, will have to check it out a bit more.

THATPSPGUY said:

July 31st, 10:22 am

How am I going to BUY THIS???? Where are the PSN Cards. yes I’m kinda whining but seriously do you NOT want Millions of Dollars More or something? There’s a flaw in that type of business model. Whoever is keeping those from our hands should get fired today. I mean it. I want to buy all these games; Pixel Junk Eden, Monsters, racers, Super Stardust, Quore full year, more old school psone games, JOUST!. Alot of stuff. But for some weird unknown reason as of yet you seem to not want to just freely take our money which you can then boost your profits a bit more than you’ve seen thus far. Please for the love of Pete or Me or the Millions of your loyal gamers out there. Release them.
I used to care about Home but with so many interesting games it hasn’t really crossed my mind in the least. Did I mention that the Eden demo is sooooooo addictive??? Huh did I?

So come on get with it man. Get those cards out into our hands so that you can get our money right back into yours. Sound Fair? I think so.

Hmm let’s do the basic math here:

10 or so Million Users in North America, That’s The United States of America & Canada.

10 000 000 X $20= FTW! That’s a dump load of cash. That would be in the first week alone by the way. That is my prediction of how it would go down. Within a Month, you would most likely have the Guinness Record for the most prepaid cards sold . 10’s of millions would sell even if they were just $20 cards. The range between that and $100 would make your profit margin skyrocket. ( For any investors looking in, Now is a Great time to buy) I know business and this just seems wrong to me. Denial of service to your customers even though you are trying to make money from the place that only these cards can be Used. Primarily the target audience does not have credit cards. Thus the need for an alternative. Hence the PlayStation Network Cards.

This Game is the EXACT type of game I’ve been waiting on. Some truly great game play mechanics but with everything else updated. The classic Top-Down look will appeal to the older gaming crowd, like myself. The graphics and the Zombie genre will attract everyone else. I really like the look of this. It’s nice to see so many “Hero” games coming out. Seems we’re all past the whole “alien Games” stages. No offense Resistance FOM 1 or 2 Yours are Spectacularly done. But this, I heard about The last Guy a while ago. Thought it was just a rumor until today.

Just please. I want to buy this.

It’d be sweet if you could Google Map your Hometown.

GameOverGreggy said:

July 31st, 10:22 am

Hey —

Put this out now!

Greg

EViD said:

July 31st, 10:23 am

I like the concept.

JBruno said:

July 31st, 10:24 am

glad to know that the US release will be more complete, the 3 levels only dont satisfy me because im hungry for this game!

jcasanova said:

July 31st, 10:32 am

If someone finds the Hindi interview with subtitles, could you please paste the link on a comment?

Josh Miller's Avatar

Josh Miller said:

July 31st, 10:45 am

jcasanova,

We are actually releasing a subtitled version of that very soon, and it even has a new section with the director talking about the gameplay.

Seba501 said:

July 31st, 10:51 am

Dont forget about trophies

JDog09 said:

July 31st, 10:58 am

I’m still not sure sure what kind of game this. All I learned from this post is that you need to lead the survivors to a safe point. But how the players actually do that-neither you nor the video explanied that well. It’s hard to get excited about a game that has no clear…directions. Hopefully you’ll touch on this more in future posts.

Josh Miller's Avatar

Josh Miller said:

July 31st, 11:10 am

JDog,

The gameplay is actually very simple. You use the left thumbstick to move your character around through the city streets. You look for people hiding out (the \”thermography\” heat vision helps with that – see the screenshots), and when you are close to the entrance of the building, they rush out and get in line behind you. You then escort them back to the Escape Zone. The challenge comes from the zombies roaming the streets, since they will scatter people in your line if they get too close, meaning you have to rescue them again. So, do you keep building your line into the 100s and hundreds, or take smaller groups of people back and head out again? It\’s a race against the clock to get enough people before the time runs out.

FritoZ said:

July 31st, 11:01 am

i guess having it actually say “ONE QUESTION” in my post sends the opposite effect to Josh Miller’s Brain.

why so selective with your answers?

why answer some questions and leave others open?

just wondering, you really got to build up enthusiasm for fringe games like this, and relating to the community fully always helps spread the word.

Jenovah said:

July 31st, 11:04 am

Josh,

Have you met the fine folks at Hindusian Electronics who developed the game? Do you know the goats name by chance? ;)

Is that vid getting posted on the store as well?

Josh Miller's Avatar

Josh Miller said:

July 31st, 11:14 am

Jenovah,

Haha!

The gameplay trailer will be on the store today, and the subtitled interview trailer should be out on the internet soon and on the store next week.

archie4oz said:

July 31st, 11:04 am

OK the scary thing is that I actually recognized where in Japan those photos are from!

Trat said:

July 31st, 11:05 am

Josh, wouldn’t it be great to view the globe on Life With Playstation and then just zoom in on some part and play this game???

archie4oz said:

July 31st, 11:05 am

Wow, the scary thing is that I recognize where in Japan those satellite photos are from…

Mort said:

July 31st, 11:07 am

Josh,

Awesome and informative post. I’m not sure what to make of this game, but it’s great that you will post a demo because I am definitely intrigued……

Sony should be heavily praised for it’s line up of PSN titles. You guys have really set yourselves apart from the competition, with some absolute must have games (PJE & SSHD for starters), and some innovative titles. Thank you so much for working hard to bring us unique and interesting games.

I look forward to trying this out when it hits later this year.

Keep up the good work.

Josh Miller's Avatar

Josh Miller said:

July 31st, 12:05 pm

Thanks for the kind comments, Mort, and everyone else posting!

KnaveX said:

July 31st, 11:12 am

Looks nice, thanks for answering most doubts Miller.

Toast said:

July 31st, 11:12 am

Google maps turned into a game…interesting…

Neil said:

July 31st, 11:21 am

Oh thank you thank you thank you for bringing this to the US. I’ve been keeping my eye on this game. I saw that it was released on the Japanese PlayStation store yesterday and was starting to think that it would never come to these shores.

All this game needs now is an update so you can edit your own neighborhood!

Aerfox said:

July 31st, 11:37 am

Once I heard about this game I knew I had to have it. Can’t wait for it to appear in N America. Its something about the game that sucked me in, mostly the soundtrack that was being played.

SpeedNut said:

July 31st, 11:48 am

How can one zombie befriend and help the humans but the rest can’t?

Other than that the game looks cool and easy to get started with (low learning curve)!

shaunLEGEND said:

July 31st, 12:05 pm

Josh,

For great justice, please release the music from the trailer for free on PSN. I want to play that song for every game that supports in-game music lol.

absolute said:

July 31st, 12:07 pm

Man, it looks like every single PSN game Sony showed at E3 was very unique and completely different from one another. I can honestly say I’m going to download every one of them. This game just looks crazy, but everything I had read up until now said that it used Google Earth. That’s not true? So does that mean that the cities are pre-determined and you can’t play anywhere you like?

EvoAnubis said:

July 31st, 12:10 pm

Ok, Josh, I played the flash version of The Last Guy . . . actually, I’ve spent the entire time between my first post and this one doing it. I’m sold! The game is fun as hell.

JDog09 said:

July 31st, 12:14 pm

@ Josh Miller #78

Pretty interesting…I mean wow! That sounds pretty cool. Now that sounds challenging and fun! Thanks for the reply and clearing that up for me. Can’t wait to hear more!

hobo-1 said:

July 31st, 12:27 pm

Wow I’m shocked this was picked up for the west. I thought like Dark Mist this was not up to the “special” SCEA standards. Regardless looking forward to this hopefully it won’t be long wait like the delayed frenzy Wipeout HD.

verybadbeetle said:

July 31st, 12:36 pm

I just love the concept of this game. It is such a cool idea. I am so glad this is coming to America. I can’t wait!

mobiletone said:

July 31st, 12:38 pm

i’d like to know your position on people who do not wish their property/land to be included in a video game.

i state here, that i DO NOT give permission for images of my building to be used for this project. if images of my building are used you shall be charged $100,000 each and every time it happens to be paid into my PSN account on the last day of every calender month. refusal to remove my building or, in the future to use digital images of my building in the game is an acceptance of the payment agreement.

yours sincerly
T. Flaxman.

mobiletone said:

July 31st, 12:40 pm

ps: this game is a blatent rip-off of a game written on the PC months back using actual google maps images.

Jackal888 said:

July 31st, 12:42 pm

Josh, I have been playing the flash version Last Guy : Everywhere. This is a fun game. Everyone with questions should try the Flash version.http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/31/play-sonys-nutty-last-guy-game-on-this-website/

I am interested and happy that cray games like this are still being made.

Joe said:

July 31st, 12:46 pm

Nice this game looks different and at the same time cool. Now is this a game that will only be on the PS3 or is there going to be a PSP version too. My guess would be no but you never know. Also will the game support remote play.

Jackal888 said:

July 31st, 12:51 pm

@ mobilestone: We live in an age where everything is photographed you cannot control that.Are you sure these are not the same developers of that PC game? Even if they are not, ideas can be the same for different games.

Gkar of Narn said:

July 31st, 1:03 pm

Unfortunately, this game appears to be infantile and a waste of time. Why can’t Sony concentrate on bringing Chair Entertainment’s “Undertow” to the PSN? I’m sure that many of my fellow PS3 owners would appreciate it.