Horizon Zero Dawn

Sep 22

Sep 22

Go Hands-on with Valkyria Chronicles this week!

Christopher Kaminski's Avatar Posted by Associate Producer, Sega of America

Jeff invited me to do a little guest blog post to let you know about the upcoming Valkyria Chronicles pre-release event later this week. The game is looking great (see the trailer below so you know what I’m talking about), and I’m really excited about this event because it’s such a special treat.

You might be wondering, what makes this event so special. Glad you asked! There are a few things:

Play the demo! We’re giving all the attendees the ability to play the super-exclusive pre-release demo of the game. It comes out next month, but you can be the first on your block to give it a whirl!

But wait, there’s more!

Raffle! Do you like stuff? I know I like stuff and I’m guessing you do too. Fortunately for you, we’re giving stuff away! We’ve got a super secret raffle going with exclusive prizes we had made just for this event.

Special Guest! The Japanese producer, Nonaka-san from Sega Studios Japan, will be attending and signing autographs. We’re really excited to have him come out to visit and meet you guys.

More Special Guest! I even hear rumors that someone will be all dolled up in an Alicia costume (no, not me).

You might want to know where you should go to experience all this fabulous stuff. Wonder no more:

9/26 (Fri) 5:00-9:00PM
    PlayStation Store at the Metreon
    101 4th St, San Francisco, CA

Now for those of you who (unfortunately) won’t be able to attend – here’s how you can participate: Ask your Valkyria Chronicles questions for Nonaka-san (the producer, remember?), and he’ll answer them in a future blog post. Just put them in the comments area below, and we’ll make sure he sees them when he gets in from Japan.

Hope to see you there!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

JordanBlack68 said:

September 22nd, 12:05 pm

Cool, looks good thanks

ftwrthtx said:

September 22nd, 12:05 pm

I’m going to try to make this event.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jeigh said:

September 22nd, 12:07 pm

I’m afraid I’m nowhere near close enough to attend the event, but I’m definitely looking forward to this game and the demo next month! :D

This is going to be one helluva holiday season. Year of the PS3, indeed.

X1rtam said:

September 22nd, 12:12 pm

Nope, I’ve got classes and am in Southern California…But maybe I will think of some questions later. For now, back to java! :D

Scodo_Thope said:

September 22nd, 12:13 pm

Dallas is so far for SF!

:P

reinheart said:

September 22nd, 12:14 pm

Game looking great?… it’s already been out in Japan for a while so most that knows about this game already knows it’s a great game… only thing that needed to be done for the US was translating and voicing…

Anyways for JP one there is no trophy support for all you guys going to cry about trophy… get over it! and there was two add-on content for extra-hard mode and side story mission which I wasn’t able to try it out yet but looks cool.

As for the game itself, if you like strategy and new type with action this is a must buy. Graphics is really good too.

Don’t know if they fixed some problems but you can’t cancel your action once you move like some strategy games lets you, so you really need to think before you move. Personally I think its good they kept it that way, would be cheat if you can cancel a move you made by mistake, and there is no way to cancel in real life situation so (^_^) hard but fun.

I’m stuck on leveling up… and not really the type that keeps on leveling up…

I won’t say what happens in the game… but I recommend this game.

greeble said:

September 22nd, 12:14 pm

With all the huge releases and must have games being released in the next couple of months I’d really prefer a demo sooner as opposed to later to see if I should budget for this game but oh well.

As for the producer ask him if there are any plans for the usual stuff such as DLC expansion and trophies.

LN_MEXWARRIOR said:

September 22nd, 12:22 pm

I want to know if this game is incorporating the new PS3 features like in-game music and throphies??

Looks like a great unique game… But I want to play a demo…

reinheart said:

September 22nd, 12:25 pm

@8

… this game’s music is good as it is, doesn’t need in game music function for this type of game IMO…

and already answered your trophy question… go read before you post…

TheInfectedBy590 said:

September 22nd, 12:30 pm

Man, I cannot wait for this game!!! :(

lonewolf1994 said:

September 22nd, 12:35 pm

em does this this game have any online play? (soz for the n00b question lol)

PsychoEddie said:

September 22nd, 12:40 pm

Off Topic. Deletable.

When will the excessive use of japanimation in video games ever end? I know the kiddies like them and that I’m in the minority, but holy heck in a pink hand-basket, I hate this kind of graphics.

amante said:

September 22nd, 12:41 pm

Hooray for living on the east coast! :(

I’m still on the fence about this game but I feel like it’s the type of game you really oughta play before making any judgment about.

It’ll be interesting to see what comes out of this event though

senjutsu_dav said:

September 22nd, 12:42 pm

I don’t live around there at all…

Gorvi said:

September 22nd, 12:43 pm

Any clue on when we can expect the demo next month on the PSN?

amante said:

September 22nd, 12:49 pm

@12 PsychoEddie

You think it’s excessive? I might be out of but I don’t there are an excessive number of games using this art style.

I think anytime a game like this comes out it’s an interesting take on the standard video graphics. The implementation of the comic-book like sound effects is great too. I haven’t seen anything like that since XIII.

To each their own, but I hate to tell you that I don’t think it will EVER end. Sorry to kill your hopes of a japanime-less future.

Morphine16 said:

September 22nd, 12:52 pm

Geez, nothing happens in NYC anymore? :(
One of the more important cities economically speaking and we get shafted when it comes to video games. Sad. Good luck to every1 that can go to this event, take pictures :p

Morphine16 said:

September 22nd, 12:54 pm

Forgot one question for Nonaka-san, can you please ask him if there is any plans for a patch for trophy support in the future?

Voozi said:

September 22nd, 12:54 pm

Wish I could go! In Jersey though lol

Be sure to take pics of Jeff in that Alecia costume for us! I kid I kid…

Captain Fury said:

September 22nd, 12:56 pm

cant wait for this!

question for Nonaka-san…

why did the team choose the watercolor painting art style for this game?

Ryanpayne said:

September 22nd, 12:57 pm

HEY PLEASE IN THE NEXT FIRMWARE UPDATE CAN YOU INCLUDE SCREEN CAPTURING EVERYONE WANTS IT

Mana Knight said:

September 22nd, 12:58 pm

I’m definitely excited for this. One of my most wanted PS3 games all year. :D

Protopet said:

September 22nd, 12:58 pm

What about the east coast(Tri-state cough cough) Sony?!

ajefferism said:

September 22nd, 1:05 pm

Question for producer:

What games or other materials would you say were inspiration for this game?

TheInfectedBy590 said:

September 22nd, 1:07 pm

@12
Maybe they’ll stop by the time you graduate from high school, but I hope not, because I for one love this art style.

LokeSTL said:

September 22nd, 1:09 pm

@12 PsychoEddie

I totally agree….sick of anime, water color, and especially cell shading. I hope that eventually we get some high grade graphics to go with our new gen RPG’s.

superbone547 said:

September 22nd, 1:13 pm

I’m really looking forward to this game. The art direction is really cool, but I don’t like the comic book-style sound effects. Hopefully there’s a way to turn that off, or at least have that be in Japanese. Either way, I’m definitely getting this game.

big_king_kill said:

September 22nd, 1:21 pm

Game looks great! Cant wait to get my hands on it.

Ajora said:

September 22nd, 1:23 pm

~What are your plans for the future of Valkyria Chronicles?
~Will Valkyria Chronicles become a franchise?
~Will it have sequels?
~What inspired you to put Vyse and Aika in Valkyria Chronicles?
~Any future Downloadable Content?
I would love nothing more than to see more games like this…

As a Skies of Arcadia fan I just want to thank you for bringing this game to this world and to North America. It made my life that much better.
Of all the games coming out this fall I anticipate Valkyria Chronicles the most!

Thanks.

erico316 said:

September 22nd, 1:27 pm

this is a game that i want .its not all about graphics on ps3 and its good to know that at least 2 third party company know this.the game look great by the way and hopefully this will stay exclusive.good to see sega making a come back.i have a few questions.
1.will there be a demo release on the psn?
2.any dlc?
3.any preorder bonuses?
4.how long is this rpg suppose to last?

if you reply to my question thanks in advance.

GGCAN said:

September 22nd, 1:29 pm

Thanks Christopher..

Will definately have to try out the demo.

Enigma777 said:

September 22nd, 1:42 pm

God, I want that game!!!!!!!!

reinheart said:

September 22nd, 1:49 pm

@12 and @26
Try the demo first, this one is bit different and SEGA should put how they made this game out for some people, I think the development notes they made on Japanese game magazine was awesome.

Sure this one is Japanese animation looking but was first made towards Japanese audience/players who are surrounded by Anime/Manga culture, something thats starting to be big in the U.S.

But this type of art/graphics should be considered as another way a game can be developed, . Different devs have different way to express their skills/arts this is one of them.

Lunix said:

September 22nd, 1:52 pm

Looks great :)

Question for Nonaka-san please.

Will the game see the light of day over in the UK etc?

Thanks! :)

outkast32 said:

September 22nd, 1:54 pm

AWW MAN. can u guys do something in ohio?? i always miss out on this stuff.

Ajora said:

September 22nd, 1:58 pm

@ 35 outkast32

LOL! Me too man Ohio here XD

saintfighteraqua said:

September 22nd, 2:04 pm

It looks beautiful, and I love the graphic style.
I really wish for more JRPG’s though.

Zaku said:

September 22nd, 2:04 pm

Aww :( And here I was reading the post thinking we were getting a PSN demo :( Could you’ll make that happen?

a237426 said:

September 22nd, 2:09 pm

I have a question that I would really like answered by Ryutaro Nonaka-San.

In a lot of the gameplay videos I’ve seen, there is a washed out white border surrounding the action. In some pictures or videos, this border is relatively trivial and looks good. In others it’s completely missing, most notably in any of the top down strategy screens.

However, in other areas this white border can be completely over-bearing. Enough to even obscure the action and be extremely distracting.

In short, could you please give an overview of how this white border works?
Will there be an option to turn it off completely if we find it’s aesthetic to be less than desirable?

Thank you very much! :)

WHAT said:

September 22nd, 2:16 pm

If Papa Smurf is equal to Gizmo.

Than Valkyria Chronicles would be equal to ______?

Arda82 said:

September 22nd, 2:16 pm

I am a hardcore PS3 player… But this game will never be on my purchase list.. The gameplay and story might be great but for me the graphics are killing it.. The last time i played a game with these graphics was XIII and no sir, i will never go back to that kind of novel graphics on a game again.

Ajora said:

September 22nd, 2:17 pm

Some more questions.

-Any plans for Collectors Edition?

-Will there be an English version of the Official website? Unfortunately I can’t read/speak Japanese :(

-Will there be a retail version of the game Soundtrack?

Thanks.

skynidas said:

September 22nd, 2:18 pm

There’s trophy support for this beautiful game?

Stephanie1 said:

September 22nd, 2:34 pm

Why don’t they just add English subs to the game and release it as it is?

It would come out alot sooner and everyone would be much happier by getting thier hands on it asap. I personaly think that vocal translation in most games are borderline embaressing anyhow, especially from Japanese to english.

But then if someone really wanted the voice overs the developers could release it as DLC with trophies included and make everyone happy.

Kinda long question but I was just wondering, why go through all the fuss when there’s and easy way to it?

Twinturbo120 said:

September 22nd, 2:43 pm

how come everything is in cali =/ go to miami sony!!!!

ArmedOne78 said:

September 22nd, 3:03 pm

I think I already played this demo several months ago. Downloaded it from the JP PS Store…or maybe that was my twin in a parallel universe, who knows.

NEJI64 said:

September 22nd, 3:03 pm

@12 and @26 i total disagree yall say its to much i say its not enough. because of people like yall is the reason why most of the games thats made in Japan never come to N.A. i think its cool and it would be cool to see a AAA game made like that

Ghostm said:

September 22nd, 3:26 pm

Tactical RPGs are not really my thing. So it’s not a buy for me. It’s nice to see others happy and excited about a new PS3 title. Have fun and enjoy guys!!!

AranhaHunter said:

September 22nd, 3:26 pm

Release the demo on PSN.

Ghostm said:

September 22nd, 3:27 pm

Is this Tactical RPG helping the PS3 sales in Asia?

PAGE 1 2