Knack 2

Sep 26

Sep 26

Geon Emotions: Questions Answered

Karl Stewart's Avatar Posted by Global Brand Director, Crystal Dynamics

In answer to the various comments regarding “Geon” PSN (in no particular order):

GEONPSN_03

The game took so long to port because it wasn’t a port. We spent time redesigning and coding key elements of the game in response to feedback we got after launching the XBLA version so that the PSN version has a much better single and multi-player experience. These include:

• New goal scoring system which encourages player interaction (it’s essential to stop your opponent from scoring);
  • Redesigned single player maps.
  • Introduction of a new League mode.
  • Players have attack and shield as standard (instead of only via a power-up) allowing for greater interaction with (thumping the hell out of) your opponent.
  • Redesigned power-ups, with the introduction of new ones such as Bliss’ ghost cubes (which collect pellets for you) and Rage’s extra attack.
  • Improved AI to handle the new gameplay.
  • 1080p High Definition visuals.
  • Did we mention the trophies? ;)

GEONPSN_02

Comatoes asks, “What the…? I sincerely hope there’s a demo or at least a video to check out… this sounds completely odd.”

Answer: Yes Comatoes, it certainly is odd. The best way to describe the game is that it is like playing Numberwang with a sledge hammer and a bag of rodents. What do you expect from an English game development team based in an old train yard?

The how-to-play video is up at http://www.strawdogstudios.com/geon/
It is the tutorial video so it takes things slowly, compared to the actual game. Other game play videos will follow shortly.

GEONPSN_01

StalkingSilence asks, “Multiplayer online or offline? Saw a trailer and will probably pick this up.”

Answer: It has multi-player on-line and off-line (split screen). The multi-player modes include:

• Multi-player – Up to 4 players.
  • Duel – Go head to head against a friend and inflict some pain!
  • Last Man Standing – Up to 4 players battle it out – who will be the last man standing?
  • Team Geon – Team up with a friend to battle your enemies in this 2vs2 mode.

Screenshots …. http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/games/detail/item118876/Geon/

Yep that’s the UK Playstation site.

Hope that clears a few things up.

Add Your Own

theownerz said:

September 26th, 2:02 pm

yea sounds good i might get this

XxBigP123xX said:

September 26th, 2:04 pm

# Did we mention the trophies? ;)

You’re a little late to be using trophies to pimp your game.

eric1018 said:

September 26th, 2:04 pm

Is this native 1080p? Either way this game looks very cool! :)

craazy said:

September 26th, 2:05 pm

Did anyone buy this…..should I give it a go?

DemonOfRazgriz89 said:

September 26th, 2:06 pm

yeah this game looks… odd. think il be passing on this one.

ftwrthtx said:

September 26th, 2:15 pm

So no remote play for the PSP?

depward said:

September 26th, 2:20 pm

Karl – kudos for attacking those questions head-on and getting some answers out there.

StalkingSilence said:

September 26th, 2:21 pm

Nice, that StalkingSilence guy asks some phenomenal questions. haha
thanks for the reply – the press release and original info on your last post didn’t explain online multiplayer. no voice chat though, right?

kingv84 said:

September 26th, 2:23 pm

I bought the game, I had tried the demo on Xbox Live but I did not like the game at first, but once you go and do the tutorial mode in the game and learn the basics, the game becomes more fun.

I would give the game a 7.5 out of 10. It is weird at first but once you get the hang of it, its ok.

tezasaurus said:

September 26th, 2:25 pm

Why is a post where the company directly answers consumers’ questions about the game getting downvoted? Even if it’s not what you want to hear, we should encourage this kind of behavior and interaction. C’mon, people.

GGCAN said:

September 26th, 2:30 pm

Thanks for the explanations Karl.

Toast said:

September 26th, 2:39 pm

i’m still confused…i’ll have to watch the vids when I’m not at work

CaptionLoken said:

September 26th, 2:41 pm

im not much for these kinds of games, btw PSBLOG can you hook us up with some LBP DEVs to talk about it before the release, thanks

outkast32 said:

September 26th, 2:48 pm

how much casshhhh money? lol

TheManda said:

September 26th, 2:56 pm

So, will we be seeing a demo? The problem with PSN games is that unless you give me a demo for the game, I have no means of trying it. Non-PSN games, I can rent. So unless you guys release a demo, don’t expect my money. I’ve been burned by too many fun-looking non-fun games.

001 said:

September 26th, 2:57 pm

Thanks for the Q&A Karl. You should have posted a video of the gameplay instead. I had to look up the videos of the game on gametrailers to get a good idea of what the game was and such.

MegaClank said:

September 26th, 3:07 pm

It doesn’t look that bad, seems fun.

FritoZ said:

September 26th, 3:17 pm

Karl, you neglected to say whether there will be a demo..

just wondering, i rarely purchase a game without a demo..

thanks!

Neil said:

September 26th, 3:30 pm

Good Q&A. Might pick it up after all.

X1rtam said:

September 26th, 3:40 pm

I like quirky games like this, when/if I get my hands on some cash you’re getting some of it! Of course, when that will be I certainly do not know… Maybe Monday or Wednesday! I’ve got a website client. :D

MCWHAMMER said:

September 26th, 3:42 pm

Since developers are too lazy to port XBLA DEMOS to PSN, I should warn you that this game was horrible when I played it on the 360. It isn’t going to suddenly become a good game people.

Wait for the demo, if they decide to do one, because I promise you won’t enjoy it.

BigOLBallz said:

September 26th, 3:44 pm

yo, this game looks nice is it anything like Lumines for PsP , this game looks promising

Shiloa said:

September 26th, 3:52 pm

Numberwang! I might buy it just for that word being mentioned. Gotta support the brit devs!

skynidas said:

September 26th, 4:05 pm

Thanks for the answers!!!

Jenovah said:

September 26th, 4:20 pm

Demo please.

Ti_dus said:

September 26th, 5:03 pm

This Thursday was really a bad day to release that kind of game. Anyway, keep on making Tomb Raider Underworld, ’cause this is the game I wanna buy.

Jeigh said:

September 26th, 7:34 pm

I tried to stop them, but they just wouldn’t listen. You gotta believe me! :P

I’ve always considered myself a little more in touch with culture outside of the US than… well most of the US population, but I’m not familiar with “Numberwang.” Or is it another downloadable title somewhere?

MidgetguyII said:

September 26th, 7:45 pm

I think this game looks cool! :)

I MIGHT purchase this with the next PSN Card I get, but you can garuntee that I purchase this if there’s a demo!

*HINT* *HINT*

Joe said:

September 26th, 9:29 pm

Is there any chance for Geon to come out on the PSP?

I would love to download this game off of PSN to play on the PSP. So is there any chance or not.

lakaihigh said:

September 26th, 9:42 pm

cleared up a LOT! when I’m done with WipEout HD this is on my list of games to watch.

peace,
Lh

PSPsGTghOost said:

September 27th, 12:23 am

Not big into puzzle games.

Hey Jeff! Is the Burnout team gonna stop by here to talk about the awesome retroactive trophies as promised in the game.

jcasanova said:

September 27th, 9:34 am

still think demos are necessary so I can try with my friends

mza49311 said:

September 27th, 12:36 pm

Thanks for coming in and answering some questions on the game, certainly a great thing to see this happen! I would like a demo though to check it out. I’ll watch the video when I get somewhere I can do that from.

thataide said:

September 27th, 9:43 pm

So no demo?
There was a demo on launch day on Xbox 360… Why not in PS3?

Doctor What said:

September 28th, 3:50 am

@28, Jeigh – Numberwang is a fictional gameshow made up for a comedy show in the UK. It has completely impenetrable rules that are never explained but everyone involved seems to be utterly sure of what they’re doing. It’s a lot funnier than it sounds! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qjOZtWZ56lc

@21, McWhammer – don’t be so rude. A dev has taken the time to address questions raised about the (admittedly fairly poor) first announcement and has done a good job of answering people’s questions. He very directly says that they have changed a lot of the features and improved the gameplay from the XBLA release, but you criticise the game based on the XBLA version. Devs never intentionally make a game they think will be rubbish, and they wouldn’t have remade it for PSN if they thought there was no merit in it, so promising everyone that it will be awful is uncalled for.

Thanks Karl for answering the questions, I feel like I’ve got a lot more of a clue what the game is about now and I’ll definitely consider buying it, if only for the Numberwang + sledgehammer + bag of rodents description!

Mirauder said:

September 29th, 6:47 am

This game is fun especially when going head to head with someone..The trophies are going to be a pain to get but that’s the replay value.

Have to collect those dots and score on the opposing team and each emotion has it’s own special power like speed. or setting traps it’s a blast either way.

zeke2040 said:

September 29th, 8:31 am

i most admit, i was like: what the heck is this game all about.. so i bought and oh man is it fun… i like to play it with friends… but the trophy are a good add-on onto it… i almost got half of them..lol good work on the game..

Scodo_Thope said:

September 29th, 11:31 am

Now I am intrigued!!

:P

MidnightBlues said:

September 30th, 5:25 pm

GEON is super sweet…I havnt gotten a chance to play but it is my nest psn buy. I played it at a buddy’s house and it was really fun, some of the trophies are really difficult but thats good.

VERY COOL GAME! $9.99? yes please!