Spider-Man PS4

Oct 09

Oct 09

Resistance: Retribution & Resistance 2 Interoperability and Then Some

John Garvin's Avatar Posted by Creative Director, Bend Studio

Hi everyone, my name is John Garvin, co-director of SCEA’s Bend Studio, and I wanted to give everyone a quick update on Resistance: Retribution. Chris Reese (my co-director at the studio) and I are in Tokyo this week presenting Resistance: Retribution at TGS. After our game was revealed at E3 in July, we got a lot of questions about connectivity between Resistance: Retribution and Resistance 2 on the PS3. We’re pretty excited to announce that yes, we will be providing additional game play and features if you connect R:R to R2! Here’s how it works.

connect1

Connect R:R to R2 using a USB cable. Go into the R2 options screen, and select “Infect your PSP!” That’s all it takes.

Infected mode lasts until you power down your PSP. So, what is “Infected mode”?

connect2

Infected mode provides an alternate story within our alternate history. While in prison for desertion, Grayson is recruited by Specter Lieutenant David LaSalle (from the R2 storyline) and is infected with a mutated version of the Chimeran virus … a different version of the virus that infects Nathan Hale.

While playing in “infected” mode, Grayson wears a Specter uniform and has glowing Chimeran eyes. He gets to use one of the new weapons from R2: the HE .44 Magnum, which fires explosive rounds that can be triggered remotely. He has regenerative health and no longer needs to look for health packs. He can breathe underwater, allowing him to reach hidden areas that he could not reach before. And we’ve added another whole class of Intel that are hidden throughout the levels. Collecting all of the “infected” intel will unlock another R2 weapon, the Plasma Grenades.

Another cool feature we’re including is something we call PSP Plus!

connect3

Activated from the R2 options screen, PSP Plus! allows you to play Resistance: Retribution using your Dualshock 3 wireless controller. We remove aim assist and increase the challenge level of the game. We even support the vibration function of the controller. If you’re playing at home and want to experience Resistance: Retribution in an all new way, this is it.

That’s it for this update. In the near future we’ll have some news on our multiplayer game. Stay tuned.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

XxBigP123xX said:

October 9th, 3:04 am

So bought.

Pesico said:

October 9th, 3:12 am

Wow! This is awesome. Can’t wait for R2 and I can’t wait for Resistance Retribution.

Richlando said:

October 9th, 3:17 am

R2 was a must have day one for me, hadn’t decided about Retribution..thanks for making it a must have day one purchase for me with the news I just read.Very nice and I can’t wait to try this out..thank you!!

Delriach said:

October 9th, 3:18 am

This is very impressive. More games need to support this feature.

skynidas said:

October 9th, 3:19 am

awesome

Morphine16 said:

October 9th, 3:20 am

Very creative, cant wait for my R2, already preordered the Collector`s. Any word on the beta?

AranhaHunter said:

October 9th, 3:24 am

This is pretty cool, I might buy this when I get my PSP, any news on a Syphon Filter for the PS3? :D

bleucheese7 said:

October 9th, 3:28 am

totally buying R:R and R2.
maybe i will get the new psp brite, my psp-100 is kind of clunky.
YES FOR PSP+.
I THANK YOU SONY! :D

AdversaryofGod said:

October 9th, 3:29 am

FINALLY!
A PSP game that makes a good use of the PS3!!
And now I want every games like that!
And I want PS3 games that have support for the PSP. I’m not talking about remote play, I’m talking about real time stuff. Please. I remember leveling a chocobo on my PocketStation and unlocking items for FinalFantasy VIII.

Many Thanx Resistance Team!

KingOfHearts said:

October 9th, 3:30 am

Cool will be seeing this in other games as well?

Stoffinator said:

October 9th, 3:32 am

I was going to buy Resistance: Retribution, but after a recent hands on with it. I probably won’t be getting it. :-[ Problem is not the game as it is the PSP itself. The lack of a second analog stick just makes FPS and TPS horrible. I HATE having to use the face buttons as the up and down on these games.

And judging by the line of people playing it (equals no one) its probably a good sign. Which is a shame, I really really wanted Resistance: Retribution.

But glad to hear at least that there is some connection between the PS3 version and PSP. More games need to support such features. But the game does look awesome guys.

thor said:

October 9th, 3:33 am

So you need to have R2 to make use of PSP plus? That seems a bit pointless.

nickjd331 said:

October 9th, 3:38 am

Although i really like the idea of linking ps3/psp, some of the ideas seem a bit odd.

Infecting the psp. It seems he content is already in the game, you just need R2 to use it. Then using the Dualshock 3 requiring a ps3 also seems a bit odd.

Why not if you have retribution, allow it to show a map/ammo etc for R2.

Anyway, it still sounds interesting and I look forward to trying it out!

marcindpol said:

October 9th, 3:40 am

yes lol, screw psp!

WHAT said:

October 9th, 3:49 am

I like the PS3 to PSP connect logo.

kspraydad said:

October 9th, 3:50 am

Neat trick and all but I fear this will be another ‘gee whiz’ SONY initiative that doesn’t get supported much…Remote Play Games anyone?

Stoffinator said:

October 9th, 3:56 am

@16

I agree with you for the most part. But allowing you to use the DS3 to play Resistance: Retribution on the PSP is a great idea. It is horrible with out the second analog stick IMO on the PSP. This may just get me to buy it, but pity anyone who can’t do this.

Tabooger said:

October 9th, 4:00 am

Is it just me or does this PSP+ thing kinda defeat the purpose of the PSP – To be portable? I mean, it means you need to be sitting next to your PS3. Why not just make the game for the PS3 then?

kspraydad said:

October 9th, 4:06 am

@17…

The could have put a $5 usb BT dongle in with RR and had the DS3 work directly perhaps?

Don’t know if this functionality is firmware or software based but if firmware perhaps it would become ubiquitous. But you are loosing the portability of the PSP and a USB BT Dongle would solve that.

firehahahahahaha said:

October 9th, 4:06 am

It’s good to see some conectivty support between the two systems, and I hope that Resistance 2 will also have some special conectivity of it’s own. Keep it up guys!

JimmyHACK said:

October 9th, 4:07 am

Very cool… (Howabout R2 beta)

DawnOfAshes said:

October 9th, 4:09 am

woah thats awesome! cant wait to try that!:)

MeltTech said:

October 9th, 4:13 am

This is all I need to have reason to buy a PSP 3000. Now if I could only get into that R2 beta, I’d be uber happy. Sony totally blew the beta oppurtunity for so many loyal fans with LBP.

I think Insomniac is more in tune with the players, and they’re sole reason for a beta is a beta. Not a publicity stunt like Sony pulled with LBP. Who lets USAToday.com give out beta unless your sole reasoning is to make sure everyone in America knows about it?

Strider2K99 said:

October 9th, 4:13 am

Very cool and interesting ideas. I hope more developers do something similar, especially PSP Plus.

Krippler said:

October 9th, 4:19 am

EVERY developer should be doing these things especially using the ds3 with the PSP AWESOME! THANK YOU Resistance Team!

Fersis said:

October 9th, 4:21 am

Yeah ,finally a reason to get a PSP
PSP-3000 here i come !!!
I love the Resitance lore.

neo_bahamut said:

October 9th, 4:21 am

Not a big fan of FPS; but after finishing Resistance with my friends I think I might buy this one.

lifeRPGs said:

October 9th, 4:30 am

Beta news? When is it starting? When are you giving out keys?

C-h-a-o-s said:

October 9th, 4:38 am

wowzers, good time to be a resistance fan + PSP owner. I can’t wait for both titles. I hope R:R will have some sort of Collectors Edition, PSP games only ever get bundles but not collectors edition, what about the people who already have 2+ PSP’s don’t we get some sort of something special?

Johnbot5k said:

October 9th, 4:44 am

AMAZING!

mrnagy88 said:

October 9th, 4:53 am

That’s pretty cool, way to add value to the PSP game :-p

Prezhulio said:

October 9th, 5:03 am

holy crap. like a dream come true. way to go bend

Chaosdnc said:

October 9th, 5:05 am

Wow more nice news keep it coming.

Daver said:

October 9th, 5:16 am

Thats a great support! cant wait for these 2 games

HanSolo said:

October 9th, 5:29 am

this is great, i cant wait to buy the game for my psp

Jezer29 said:

October 9th, 5:42 am

This idea is soooo hot.. Not only is this a exclusive game.. But This is something that will never be done on the 360 cause the 360 has no hand held system.. I suggest more first party games try to do this more often.. Its a feature the differentiates the 2 consoles..This is next gen.. Cant wait

GGCAN said:

October 9th, 5:42 am

Wow, thanks John.

I have mine on pre-order now.

r-nice said:

October 9th, 5:44 am

Damn that PSP Plus sounds sick. Way to bring something new to the table.

xcalibar25 said:

October 9th, 5:47 am

Now, this is the type of unit interoperability the PS3 and the PSP need. Excellent work guys!

bxnytony said:

October 9th, 5:53 am

This sux ass considering that those of ass with the fat psp won’t be able to utilize this feature even though we’ve been promised something like it since the ps3 debuted. Thanks again sony for ignoring your fans who supported it from the beginning and bought the psp from day one only to have u guys completely ignore the people who shelled out $250 bucks for it.

VenomX said:

October 9th, 5:59 am

Awesome. I can’t wait for these two games to come out.

jazzyrider said:

October 9th, 6:04 am

Its about time a game takes advantage of the PSP. Last time I did something like this was on the GameCube and the GBA. Now my $$ for the PS3/PSP is coming to fruition!

ISEMAN said:

October 9th, 6:11 am

This is sweet, but hopefully you guys can figure out a way to do it without the USB cables?

womfalcs3 said:

October 9th, 6:15 am

Hale, as an infected human, is able to breathe under water???? This is on top of the health regeneration.

I don’t remember water scenes in R1, but he did regenerate his health due to the infection.

Nice reveal there.

Ghostm said:

October 9th, 6:16 am

Pretty cool stuff!

DG said:

October 9th, 6:29 am

so cool

Nynja said:

October 9th, 6:42 am

I’m sorry but if the PS3 is required to use the DS3 with PSP, doesn’t this just kill the portability of the unit?

Too bad, was a nice idea at first…

Ghostm said:

October 9th, 6:43 am

So far nothing amazing out of TGS from Sony. M$ is kicking some major ass. They already have a solid release date for their new OS/avatar system. It’s been 2 years and many delays for PS Home and still no solid release date. M$ is always 10 steps ahead of us. DAMNIT!!! To put icing on the cake, now they have Tekken 6.

walls99 said:

October 9th, 6:53 am

OMFG. This is pure genius. Allowing us to play PSP games on the TV.

Can someone confirm if the original PSP (not slim or brite) can be used for this.

squirrel448 said:

October 9th, 6:59 am

Sorry, walls99, I’m nearly positive you will need the PSP Slim or newer to use this feature.

I am totally getting both of these. Definitely wasn’t expecting these awesome features.

PAGE 1 2 3