God of War

Oct 17

Oct 17

LittleBigPlanet Release Update

Patrick Seybold's Avatar Posted by Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

During the review process prior to the release of LittleBigPlanet, it has been brought to our attention that one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur’an. We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologize for any offense that this may have caused.

We will begin shipping LittleBigPlanet to retail in North America the week of October 27th. Sorry for the delay, and rest assured, we are doing everything we can to get LittleBigPlanet to you as soon as possible.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 7

rp2000 said:

October 17th, 11:19 am

What happens to copies already with retailers?

rp2000

Sephiroth said:

October 17th, 11:20 am

finally!

lifeRPGs said:

October 17th, 11:20 am

Shame on you. For a soundtrack? how low has SCE fallen…

Mososokruppe said:

October 17th, 11:21 am

Certainly you jest.

Is it April Fools Day?

Now we have to wait another 6 days to get this game because of some song lyrics?!

I’ll take the lyrics. Who cares?!

XxBigP123xX said:

October 17th, 11:21 am

Just release a patch…

DMeisterJ said:

October 17th, 11:21 am

Good!

JordanBlack68 said:

October 17th, 11:22 am

I’m offended that the game is delayed

Patriotsbball5460 said:

October 17th, 11:22 am

the 27th, thank god its not the 14th, thanks for the quick response

jwspiker said:

October 17th, 11:22 am

seems offensive to not release this the way it was originally to a lot of people as well. I don’t like the way this world is becoming.

darkiewonder said:

October 17th, 11:22 am

Stupid. Fable 2 for me then!

byrd864 said:

October 17th, 11:22 am

I still don’t see the point in the delay. Action should of been taken against the song, NOT THE GAME.

Goonboy said:

October 17th, 11:22 am

What about the EU region?

Juben said:

October 17th, 11:23 am

Wow I read about this but I didn’t think anyone would of found it so offensive, but this is just like the resistance church problem, it didn’t seem like it was a huge problem but I suppose to becareful so good job.

saintfighteraqua said:

October 17th, 11:23 am

Oh no!! I don’t see how it’s considered offensive, as a Christian I wouldn’t be offended if quotes from the Bible were used…but oh well, Cest la vie!

As long as I get it this year I’ll be happy.
But it better not take too long!! lol.

I guess I’ll be buying Eternal Sontata next week instead….

K said:

October 17th, 11:24 am

It is just cowardly and possibly irresponsible to have done this. Once you put your fans behind everything else, it is hard to get them back. This was a fixable situation (a patch or do nothing at all) and you decided against those, which boggles my mind. I would not mind a delay for a sensible reason but this is just stupid.

oskwish said:

October 17th, 11:24 am

So the game will launch the 27th?

Exodus_Lang said:

October 17th, 11:24 am

The lines aren’t even in English, are they?

alucard2023 said:

October 17th, 11:25 am

hope for only 1 week delay for all territories…

DPyro said:

October 17th, 11:25 am

Exactly which day will it be released?

SPARDA said:

October 17th, 11:26 am

SAD….but I am glad it’s not the 14th of november like I read elsewhere

safil said:

October 17th, 11:26 am

can we please get the demo back on possibly? I can’t take the wait! I take meds for depression and now I have to go see my psych to up the dose, unless you release a demo or put the beta back up…

Callahan09 said:

October 17th, 11:27 am

Seriously? Over some words found in the Qu’Ran? How offensive could it be if it’s in the Holy Book itself? This seems like overzealous political correctness at its worst, to me. I can’t say I’m happy about this course of action. How many potential players of this game would even understand what they’re hearing? I know I wouldn’t, and I suspect 99% of gamers are the same.

And if it’s OK for a record label to sell music with the lyrics, then why is it not OK for a videogame to contain that song with those lyrics? I really think this could have just been left well enough alone. People these days are too sensitive, in my opinion.

Sorry for the rant, but this has been my honest opinion.

Jackal888 said:

October 17th, 11:27 am

I totally agree with this decision. THese things happen and offending others religion is wrong and should be avoided.

Mososokruppe said:

October 17th, 11:27 am

Yeah, at least reactivate the beta test.

Ratigen said:

October 17th, 11:27 am

Ok 6 days that is better

depward said:

October 17th, 11:28 am

That sucks.

But guys & gals – it’s one week.

If that really makes you mad, then, well, I don’t know what to say.

Ratigen said:

October 17th, 11:28 am

The words are:

1- In the 18th second: “كل نفس ذائقة الموت” (“kollo nafsin tha’iqatol mawt”, literally: ‘Every soul shall have the taste of death’).

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: “كل من عليها فان” (“kollo man alaiha fan”, literally: ‘All that is on earth will perish’).

leetfoo said:

October 17th, 11:29 am

ouch. You’d have pissed off a lot less people with a day 1 patch, but it’s good you did something. (Not that I agree with the overall censorship, but as a company you have to give in to this crap or alientate a lot of people)

Video_Cognito said:

October 17th, 11:29 am

Just because the lines aren’t in English doesn’t mean it won’t offend others. I’ve read that the reason a patch couldn’t just be released is because not every PS3 owner is connected to the internet.

The reason behind the controversy is because it’s against the Islamic religion to mix direct quotes from the Qu’ran with music or some form of media… I don’t remember this part, exactly. This should have been caught earlier on during the testing phases.

Whatever the case, it shouldn’t be that long and LBP will be amazing, no matter what.

saintfighteraqua said:

October 17th, 11:29 am

@ BrianC6234:

I agree! This is America! We have to put up with all sorts of anti-American and anti Christian stuff…and this game isn’t even anti anything!!!

But what can we do? The minority (one man so far from what I hear) is in control.

MadmanVol2 said:

October 17th, 11:29 am

What a bunch of big babies.

Honestly, you regligous fanatics take things to unprecedented levels of retarded sometimes. Media Molecule, you and SCEA should have said “SHOVE IT” to those that were offended by this. The song in question is old, and is only now being attacked because its in a videogame.

Anyone who practices religion in anyway, should never play videogames. Stick to ancient texts and hypocrisy, the world of consumer electronics is clearly not for you. One would hope that you were so offended that you don’t actually buy the game now, so that we don’t have to put up with your idiocy come new-launch time.

Jackal888 said:

October 17th, 11:29 am

Who is this musician and why is he/she creating music with this material in it if it is so offensive? Is he or she Muslim?

Jenovah said:

October 17th, 11:29 am

Just patch it, and put a beep over said lyrics, because the song itself ROCKS :)

titusf said:

October 17th, 11:30 am

Wow, you can tell how dissapointed people are. Every time I refresh this page, the rating box continues to drop…

Deviation said:

October 17th, 11:30 am

Cowards.

Ad-Kemp said:

October 17th, 11:30 am

Can you comment on if the week of 27th is applicable to UK/EU regions too?

darklock99 said:

October 17th, 11:30 am

Isn’t this what beta testing is for? Guess I might as well wait for Resistance 2 instead.

Deviation said:

October 17th, 11:30 am

I can’t believe that Sony has sunk this low.

LiquidSun said:

October 17th, 11:30 am

I’m offended by mm and Sony delaying this title. People are offended all the time, you can’t please everybody. I think you need to grow some balls and put inn to the game what you like. Some religious fanatics are offended by anything, they should stay away from movies, games, etc… ffs. In protest I may not buy your game now mm.

Deviation said:

October 17th, 11:31 am

This is pathetic, Sony.

K said:

October 17th, 11:31 am

@29

They could delay it a year and it would still be the same to me. It’s just why it was delayed that bothers me.

Sephiroth said:

October 17th, 11:31 am

btw, this is way beyond ridiculous, I know theres a sackboy of me and everything but this is TOO MUCH, I’ll summon Meteor over your houses >=(

Deviation said:

October 17th, 11:31 am

Way to give in to ransom and terrorism, Sony.

TheGuardian1973 said:

October 17th, 11:31 am

WELL IT’S NOT AS BAD AS IT COULD’VE BEEN :D

Coolwater said:

October 17th, 11:32 am

It is in my opinion that Sony is making a huge mistake in delaying LBP over some quotes from the Qu’ran in a song. Music is the ultimate form of the freedom of expression. I cannot imagine a world without these freedoms. Sony is effectively saying that ‘we do not support freedom’. This is quite backward considering LBP is quite simply based on a platform of freedom. Freedom to build and create and share and play. As i’ve stated, the delay of this game is a huge mistake, and Sony risks alienating tons of gamers. Gamers are known for being radically against sensorship. This happens alot when games are refused ratings and need to be altered from the original vision. Gamers are not please over the delay, and will be even more upset over the reason for the delay.

To be quite straight, this is pure political bull**bleep**. And I, as many gamers would agree, prefer my gaming sans politics.

stewey said:

October 17th, 11:32 am

Man this sucks. I guess I’ll pick up Dead Space next week then….

StalkingSilence said:

October 17th, 11:32 am

I live on the East Coast – and beginning to ship to retail on October 27 means I won’t see the game for a while. That’s ok, I still love you guys. But i would like to see some primary source explaining this phenomenon.

Remember LL Cool J’s Gangster Paradise? That song quotes “As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death” which is straight out of the Bible. But alas, it is not against Christian law to use words of the Bible to music.

I’d like to see a 1st hand source that explains that MOST muslims (and not just those that interpret the Qur’an this way) would be offended by this song.

mywhitenoise said:

October 17th, 11:32 am

This is LAME.
Stores have had this game in for weeks. I’m SICK of street dates! Release the damn game if it’s out already.

UberTrickTed said:

October 17th, 11:32 am

I entirely agree with comment #32, just because they’re not english lyrics/words, doesn’t mean that they _couldn’t_ offend someone else.

It’s rough that it’s been delayed, but it’s worth it IMO, as to me it falls under the category of “The game will ship when it’s ready.”

I’d rather wait a week for LBP than have Mm come under possible political fire for letting it slip by when they _knew_ about it being in there.

At any rate, great work Mm, I can’t wait to play it, even if it’s until the 27th :)

(Heh, at least it gives me a few extra days to get my console back from Sony after it burned out on me…Weeeee!!!!!)

PAGE 1 2 3 7