God of War

Jan 09

Jan 09

CES 2009: Inside EA’s upcoming Home Sports Complex

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

You’ve seen the trailer, now get your guided tour of EA Sports’ Home space from the CES show floor. EA Senior Producer Robert Burnett shows off the digs, talks mini-games, stat progression, and exclusive poker bracelets for you high rollers out there. Hey, we’re in Vegas!

The EA Sports Complex will move into PlayStation Home this Spring. We’ll have EA back on the blog to let you know more when when the release is imminent.

Add Your Own

Beau said:

January 9th, 4:21 pm

This is awesome!!!!! If more things like this keep getting added to HOME, it will be the sickest thing ever!

lifeRPGs said:

January 9th, 4:27 pm

Fabulous. Absolutely fabulous. You’ve got a gem right there Sony…bringing EA within Home certainly was the best step to make. Although i am not a sport fan myself, i am confident i’ll be spending dozens of hours in the EA complex. Rock on baby! 2009 couldn’t start better. Hell, even Jeff took the suit out of the closet :)

tirminyl said:

January 9th, 4:50 pm

My hat is off to EA. The space looks great, is huge and lots of visible area for the racing and golf portion. Love that you can upgrade your race car to get better times. Love that there are reward systems for all the games. This will definitely keep users coming back!

NathanJ said:

January 9th, 5:01 pm

Yeah, the amount of stuff the are implementing is insane. Multiple games inside the EA Space, a local currency, upgrades for games to work your way through, the normal streaming promo videos and screenshots of upcoming games.

I’m surprised all of this is coming out so soon. And that this gigantic Space is just the first of multiple EA Spaces in the pipeline.

Still doesn’t make up for the fact that EA is perfectly happy to put out downgraded multiplatform games on the PS3 so they can use the same game data on the wimpy 360 graphics hardware and 7GB DVDs.

ftown said:

January 9th, 5:20 pm

real nice, keep up the good work!

ARog34 said:

January 9th, 5:43 pm

Wow… this is exactly what ‘Home’ is all about. Thank you EA for getting involved! You don’t know how much this means to us, as PS3 owners, and soon to be- back to being EA fans! Thank YOU!!!

This is what ‘Home’ needs the rest of this year and for its lifetime… devoted game developers and companies- building up their own unique ‘systems’ within the ‘Home’ world.

Oh, and I had to laugh at the realism- did any1 see that fire hydrant?!? LOLz…!

Ghostm said:

January 9th, 6:07 pm

@ 26

Sixaxis is dead buddy. Didn’t you get the memo? LOL

@ 31

EA doesn’t have anything to do with PS HOME game launching. That’s a PS HOME feature Sony needs to fine tune. There was one point doing the close beta I was able to launch into any game. The feature was remove when the beta went public.

Clinton514 said:

January 9th, 6:10 pm

Big respect to EA for this.

They may not have been the first 3rd party to launch on Home but this is how a Home Space should be done. I can’t wait to jump in there.

diablo103 said:

January 9th, 6:18 pm

not until march????? any news on any other spaces to come before the ea sports complex to hold us over?

P_tear_griffin said:

January 9th, 6:21 pm

Funny, this actually sounds more exciting than the bowling alley already available in HOME. Sony, make that %*%* a 2-story game space with a few more pool games, dart games, and arcade games.

jazzyrider said:

January 9th, 6:42 pm

Nice – hope the other studios notice how EA is doing this right! Would love to see other companies step in and give the consumers what we’ve been looking for.

terryallentown said:

January 9th, 6:43 pm

LOOKS GREAT! HOPE IT’S AS FUN AS IT LOOKS. HOW ABOUT ADDING SOME KIND OF NASCAR RACING . GO-KARTS SOMETHING BESIDES INDY CARS. I’LL BE WAITING. I THINK MINI-GOLF WOULD BE COOL TOO.

Money1 said:

January 9th, 6:59 pm

@57

six axis isn’t dead…just isn’t used that much by devs…they need to make more games to implement it…gladly insomniac still did to shake off fire…they need to make atleast a psn game like HVB

good job sony and hats off to ea

enewtabie said:

January 9th, 7:08 pm

Impressive…Most impressive
Wonder if you get trophies inside Home for some of the activities?

Renck said:

January 9th, 7:24 pm

This looks really good! Hopefully the release date will be March-09 and not delayed. I can’t wait.

gold5225 said:

January 9th, 8:03 pm

This is great news i cant wait till this is implemented i can only imagine after this Activision and Ubisoft Following then THQ and SOny will have like a Sony Games published space itll be sick i want Pepsi in Home Too!

Lord Raoh said:

January 9th, 8:37 pm

looks great cant wait to get my hands on it.

stennex said:

January 9th, 9:14 pm

Please put a mini Soccer field a Basketball court or even a mini football field would be fine as well for Madden in there PLEASE!

blkant said:

January 9th, 10:52 pm

Incredible. All past issues with EA (except getting the skate 2 demo late :( ) Are completely forgiven. You guys kick ass now :D

blkant said:

January 9th, 10:53 pm

P.S. Please allow the golf cart to be a home accessory :P Ill work my but off to get the money to put that in my house :D

Stinkin Mushroom said:

January 9th, 11:24 pm

Poker : I’m there :)

sony > I’ve saidd it once and wil say it again: Just put a whole poker space in Home, with real money (applying the law and stuff) and you’ll sell PS3’s like hotcackes :)

AquariusCold said:

January 10th, 12:09 am

I can really see Home becoming a whole new world of it’s own. Sony is really gonna be turning heads with these kinds of updated content.

Kevyn.B.Grams said:

January 10th, 12:52 am

This is exactly what I was expecting out of Home, but the fact that it is coming so fast is mind blowing. Thank you EA for doing an awsome job, and I really hope you get the payback on this investment that you deserve.

One thing that would really make buisness boom (IMO) is taking advantage of the game promo spaces upstairs. Along with the pics and info for the games released or coming, I would add an option to demo, and buy the game.

Just think if people could buy the game on Blu-ray (or dare I say off PSN) right from the promotion area. This is something that I think could lead to a lot of buisness, and really hope to eventually see from spaces like this.

Keep up the awsome work. I look forward to this area, and will make it one of the places I stop by every night when I hop on Home.

Snack_Eeter said:

January 10th, 2:04 am

RatchetFanatic said:

January 10th, 4:15 am

why do i have to redownload every area after a patch? that’s the dumbest design flaw from sony since the HDD only being compatible to a single PS3.

p-s-3 said:

January 10th, 5:41 am

That’s well cool :) Nice 1 EA.

snskidtv21 said:

January 10th, 6:48 am

I’m really excited about this. Kudos to EA.

Akayoda said:

January 10th, 7:21 am

dude that is awesome

maluraq said:

January 10th, 8:06 am

@ghostm: did you look at the back of your Dualshock3 controller? It says sixaxis on it too. Sixaxis isn’t dead, and its very fun to use in the games that have actually made use of it (like HVB).

maluraq said:

January 10th, 8:08 am

@Ratchet: you have to re-download any area that changes, any time it changes.

The patches only patch the software, not the graphics or layouts obviously, since those are downloaded by Home itself.

After the last patch I noticed for example, there was an updated outdoor area but upon entering the theatre there was no update for that area so it just loaded normally.

ShamanNY said:

January 10th, 8:17 am

EA if you are listening… er.. reading, this is what you need to add

TABLETOP versions of your games, tabletop Hockey, Football, and Foosball, throw in air Hockey, and that game where two human lookalike figures punch each other until the head pops up.
Ok fine just have a virtual arcade, skeeball and pinball version of your IP library

rockleex said:

January 10th, 9:07 am

I imagine within the next 1-2 years, Home WILL be a deciding factor on consumer purchases… IF Sony knows how to advertise Home!

All the promises made by Phil Harrison will come to fruition over time. Home will be a living breathing community of gamers/casual gamers/non-gamers.

I believe Home has the potential to drive PS3 to the number one console spot this generation! The “console war” is a marathon, not a sprint. The longer the marathon, the more impact Home will have. ^_^

Amir29 said:

January 10th, 9:10 am

My my my, the EA Sports complex already covers lots of our suggestions!!! Mini-Golf, Racing, and Poker… OH MY!!!

Now, if you guys would just let my avatar have a mustache and beard at the same time, I would be VERY happy.

NeoHumpty said:

January 10th, 9:58 am

I know they released Home a little early considering they have NOTHING worth looking at on it, but this made me tinkle in my pants a lil bit. Can’t wait to play this and see what other good companies come up with in the future. SWEEEET!

boysy said:

January 10th, 10:06 am

I would like to see an EA shop in there somewhere for sports clothes for avatar. Maybe some kind of furniture for personal spaces?

sneakattack28 said:

January 10th, 10:12 am

WTF? why does Europe get a killzone 2 bundle but not the U.S. I’m extremely disappointed

cell989 said:

January 10th, 10:15 am

Massive CONGRATULATIONS to EA for achieving this. This should set the example for other devs. Although I think the good guys at UBISOFT are also working on their HOME space. I cant wait for an INSOMNIAC HOME space, or a KONAMI space theme with METAL GEAR all over the place. Oh one more, I cant wait for a SQUARE ENIX space, with all their IP’s in there.

Oh and what about Activision, when they see what EA is doing, I know they are not going to want to stay behind, imagine a space with mini guitar hero games and COD themes, awesome.

My only gripe with the EA space: where is the soccer action?

papabear01 said:

January 10th, 10:34 am

Yo … im really feel’n the poker tables and alot of the sports titles in the sports complex …

Big ups 2 EA sports …

Jenovah said:

January 10th, 11:33 am

This is how it’s done!! Cant wait to give it a go.

SolduNuts said:

January 10th, 12:27 pm

This is the coolest thing to come to home so far. If everyone put in as much effort as EA has than home will turn out to be more than anyone could have ever dreamed of. I also love that you can earn stuff for your avatar and your house giving me a reason to come back over and over again. I have been to Red Bull Island, raced the planes a few times and now there is nothing to do. If every spaced had a reason to keep coming back like EA’s Sports Complex than Home as a whole would be better off.

shaolin_sports said:

January 11th, 9:27 am

Awesome HOME space! Looking forward to playing. When you’re ready to add, how about tennis on the complex roof!

Wuggyboobeaufuf said:

January 11th, 10:17 am

@50 – Perfect potential of Home…..

You mean design everything so it’s geared towards making us buy stuff through microtransactions?

Thanks, but no thanks.

For some reason, the Pixies song “Gouge Away” is coming to mind.

DTS MAN said:

January 11th, 1:17 pm

I tell you what i noticed, there was a fire extinguisher near the stair case!! Crazy detail! I love the nice touches. I think someone said mini basketball….you gotta do that.

joel said:

January 11th, 3:49 pm

Wow this is amazing

Slayer612 said:

January 11th, 8:21 pm

I BOW TO SONY! THE TRUE MASTERS OF GAMING!

JLogic said:

January 12th, 7:01 am

This looks awesome! Can’t wait for some golf. This should be great if used properly. Maybe spark some other spaces to do something similar. Poker fiends should love this.

Great job EA & Sony!

JLogic

kleanx said:

January 12th, 1:37 pm

Congrats to EA for supporting HOME with such a beautiful piece of virtual architecture. The idea of poker’s leaderboard is incredible and will draw players back to the area.

You should definitely show some videos of EA online games for people to watch within the space (like a worldwide tournament of FIFA for example, or just the best moments)

Playstationfan707 said:

January 12th, 3:58 pm

i cant wait till this update. I also have a question. It is really 2 questions. Number one, will there be boxing between 2 avetars or not.i think a lot of people would like that manily when people on ps home make u mad u can go boxing with them. And Number 2 is different. Can they put kissing in ps home. There are some couples that would love to kiss on home and hug and hold hands

davidscritchfield said:

January 14th, 5:53 pm

Can we please get some movie sharing support in home? I mean it was announced like two years before it was released (way longer than the xbox avatars) and xbox had movie sharing almost as soon as avatars came out. I would like to see this much more than these new spaces.

Playstationfan707 said: