Knack 2

Jan 20

Jan 20

Upcoming PS3 Firmware (v2.60) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Hi, everyone, we have a system software updates for PS3 coming soon, and I wanted to provide you with a sneak peak at the details.

The PS3 firmware update (v2.60) is designed primarily to enhance the system’s media capabilities. The key feature is a new Photo Gallery application, which delivers a suite of tools for sorting through and displaying your digital photo collection. Digital pictures can be organized in groups according to various criteria, including the camera used to take the photos, the event date and time, colors in the photos, as well as the number, ages, or facial expressions of the people pictured. You can also create slideshows set to music and build photo playlists with an easy-to-use interface. The Photo Gallery application will need to be installed separately from the XMB after you update your PS3’s firmware. To install the Photo Gallery application, go to the Photo section on the XMB, select Photo Gallery and press the X button.

The 2.60 update also includes:

• Guest access to PlayStation Store – This enables non-PlayStation Network members to browse through the storefront to check out the latest games, demos, videos, etc.
  • DivX 3.11 support – Videos in this format can now be played on PS3.

Here’s a video walk-through of firmware 2.60 that shows off some of what the Photo Gallery can do.

As always, we look forward to hearing your feedback.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 35

ftwrthtx said:

January 20th, 9:42 am

Thanks for the heads up

kenji said:

January 20th, 9:42 am

I really hope they make it so that you can message your friends on the PSN from a PC and add inbox notifications and message sounds.

Zaku said:

January 20th, 9:42 am

Looks awesome. Looking forward to see what else is packed away in the this update. Thanks for keeping us up to date and great job by the PSN/Firmware team(s) :)

SouthwoodS said:

January 20th, 9:42 am

Pretty cool…..

herb420 said:

January 20th, 9:42 am

So, is my name going to remain herb420, or is that just a glitch?

PSN: HerbertFortoon

Eric Lempel's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

January 20th, 9:44 am

It\’s a glitch. Soon your 420-ness will be hidden from public view ;-)

bigbossarg said:

January 20th, 9:42 am

OMG a photo gallery? just what i was hoping for!
/sarcasm

Seriously there are so many importan things that the ps3 needs and you are wasting your time in things like this ?
Please WORK IN WHAT REALLY IS IMPORTANT!

lantus said:

January 20th, 9:43 am

Awesome.

P.S. I’m loving the new PSN sign-in, makes things much simpler. Thank you!

Frankeyz said:

January 20th, 9:43 am

Yeah, awesome =D.

Chrisrahosiris said:

January 20th, 9:43 am

Media functionality is always welcome on the PS3. ;)

Vonbane said:

January 20th, 9:43 am

Thanks for the update guys! Keep ’em coming.

P.S.- The migration was no trouble at all.

KazeEternal said:

January 20th, 9:43 am

How about a PlayStation 2 Emulator in 2.70 ><

GuyaneseG said:

January 20th, 9:43 am

nice, cant wait to give it a try

JoeBeyond000 said:

January 20th, 9:43 am

Is Guest Access going to be added to the PSP possibly and could you guys add a feature that allows us to deactivate the remote play registration on the PS3 or PSP so I don’t have to erase my setting on my PSP to do this task?

P.S. The new PSN login feature on the blog is really something great Thanks:).

mavsman214 said:

January 20th, 9:43 am

nice feature.
IDEA 1: share photo’s across PSN with other PSN friends.
IDEA 2: ability to tag photo faces with names, then be able to sort by tag

meta1militia said:

January 20th, 9:44 am

Awesome! New DivX support is always welcome. Gotta love Sony for that. Thanks for this update!

Skerj said:

January 20th, 9:44 am

You’re releasing a “media” update, I sure hope it has video folders/playlists. I’d love to be able to organize my videos stored on the HD somehow but right now I can’t. Can you guys do that for us?

travelo1 said:

January 20th, 9:44 am

I Love It!! Can’t wait!!

Elsa43 said:

January 20th, 9:44 am

I’m glad to see that you are taking HDD space into consideration and making this a separate, optional download (it would have been nice if little widgets like the “information bar” which I find useless – had also been made optional!).

Thanks again! Having 2 PS3 units in the household, I’ll likely download this to the 80GB unit, and not download it to the poor overstuffed 60GB unit… which may need a spiffy new HDD upgrade at some point in the near future!)

… and just a thought, but I have a 300GB USB drive that I use for backups… it would be nice if demos or Quore (especially Quore which is large and often needs to be retained for “unavailable at this time” downloads)! could be stored on the USB drive and transferred back to the PS3 unit when needed (or run direct from the USb drive).

asharab said:

January 20th, 9:44 am

awww im crying …. ive been waiting so long for a firmware update but still it’s not going to fix the trophy bug that ive had since november the 28th for changing my email adress
i still can’t play some of the greatest games LBP R2 all that i pre-order =( please i just want to play !!

SnoopYTimes said:

January 20th, 9:44 am

Cool.
10 Year Console. Indeed.

SmogItUp said:

January 20th, 9:45 am

Please allocate more resources to Slant Six. You guys tried to skimp on the costs and it is now blowing up in their faces. Please save Socom!

masteratt said:

January 20th, 9:45 am

More gaming orientated features please Sony.

Neo-Delta said:

January 20th, 9:45 am

Pretty Cool

tenguman said:

January 20th, 9:45 am

what I would really like in the next updates is the option to customize the xmb, like to remove features I dont use like home and life with playstation and google search, and maybe have a direct access to the internet and microphone settings.

@NathanJ
I give a damn about cross game chat, is a good idea, to be playing while you chat with a friends, it would be really cool.

And does anyone has troubles with video chat?, I can start a video chat, but after 1 or 2 minutes either I get disconected or my friends, and we have to start again

JiggaSam said:

January 20th, 9:46 am

please for the love of god and all that is holy LET THERE BE CROSS-GAME CHAT. i want to talk to my friends no matter what game i or they are playing! no one cares about the stupid photo gallery horse $**T. jeeze do you guys not pay attention what YOUR customers want. it’s amazing that this wonderfull system has been blasted into oblivion due to you horrid handling of customer satisfaction and advertising

PSPete said:

January 20th, 9:46 am

I wonder what else will be changed with this update. I hope the browser freezing issues will be fixed. It seems wireless connections cause freezing to happen. I’m not sure if it’s my router or CECHA model PS3 but it still freezes after 2 years. Please look into it. Great update btw.

SuperDuckWC said:

January 20th, 9:46 am

nice update, chat ingame please! For the moment I use Skype in PC with my friend

jqtaxpayer said:

January 20th, 9:47 am

PLEASE! Allow support for media server streaming to games with custom soundtrack support!

Thanks for the DIVX support, though.

severeon said:

January 20th, 9:47 am

Interesting but good choice of codec to add.

XKILLER44 said:

January 20th, 9:47 am

Sweet but I want faster loading trophies, cross game chat and a game invite system.

gmoney said:

January 20th, 9:47 am

just seeing what my account name is once i migrated…

Gr00v3r06 said:

January 20th, 9:48 am

@ Jeff Nice update could you please expand on the Divx update? Please improve the music Jukebox and have whatever you make work in games as well for one that can support it. Also please add Voicemails.

Josrocket said:

January 20th, 9:48 am

Awsome…i was wondering when the photo organization issue would be fixed…now how about an update to music content so that ps3 searchs online and fills in missing content such as artist, album etc….something similar to what WMP does.

Phantasmn707 said:

January 20th, 9:48 am

The new login is a lot easier. Thanks for the update to the blog and for the info on the new PS3 firmware update :D

DKShadow said:

January 20th, 9:48 am

Great to see PSN IDs being used everywhere – it makes life so much easier. Now for those PSN friends on PSP along with PSP trophies.. *wink wink*

Smoutefretter_BE said:

January 20th, 9:49 am

Not a great update, but still expanding the PS3 features and that’s nice.
I hope in future updates that you do come with some features regarding the chatroom on PS3.

1) I’m still waiting for an update where you can -while in the PS3 chatroom- access your xmb to listen to music, view photo’s or films that are on your HDD. And this without having to close the chat like now!

2) Another usefull update would be an agenda/organiser/kalender, where you can add an occasion on a certain day and hour. When you “programmed” your stuff you can chose to get a warning!

3) what we also need, and i think everyone agrees, MORE PSN AVATARS. Maybe you can sort them by game. You can add many new ava’s. e.g. more motorstorm, resistance, uncharted, metal gear, LBP, burnout, etc.

IzaiazOfNazareth said:

January 20th, 9:49 am

are we getting other features as well. can we get friend chat or party chat in game.

Frulond said:

January 20th, 9:49 am

I just want access to XMB from PS1 and PS2 titles but this fw update seems good as all have been :D

jlrang said:

January 20th, 9:50 am

I’d like a search function under music and photos. It’s a hassle to scroll all the way down to “t” when you have 30gb of music on your PS3.

Musiol said:

January 20th, 9:50 am

I hope that isn’t all of the new features. I’m wondering, will you, Sony, improve PSX emulation? I’ve got EU 60GB unit, and from FW 1.8 my FF VIII won’t start. Another thing, will this FW fix the trophy sync issue? I hope for the reply :)

HanSolo said:

January 20th, 9:50 am

good job

herb420 said:

January 20th, 9:50 am

Awesome, thanks for the answer!

AzureFusion said:

January 20th, 9:51 am

Cool update jeff thanks for the info.

What will be the next features :).

Also get your guys working on the next PSP Update as well. The 5.03 was a let down.

Honestly heres all I really want for the next update

1:Screen Capture as I work for a gaming site and would love to show off some psp shots.

2:Playstation Blog avalible for psp

3:Video record for psp games

4:copy and paste setting for psp.

I know this will eventually come out, but im just throwing in my 2 cents.

SpiderMike_X said:

January 20th, 9:51 am

First time commenter. Would love a little red box reply saying Hi from Jeff cos I rave about you guys all the time. lol.

Thanks for the update. You’re doing a bang up job at SCEA. Look forward to hearing from you guys as some point in time.

gigakain said:

January 20th, 9:51 am

I cant merge my old blog name it keeps saying that it doesn’t recognize my email.

TrueStoryGuy said:

January 20th, 9:51 am

I was expecting more out of this firmware update; but nonetheless, an update is an update.

slickhenry said:

January 20th, 9:51 am

@12/YippyKiAy:

Simultaneuous psn-logins and trophies are game-specific and works as expected in Little Big Planet :)

When my gf, who usually played with me, started the game logged in as herself for the first time, she got a bunch of trophies and a saved state from all the games she had participated in earlier.

freeluv said:

January 20th, 9:51 am

coo

Tigerriot said:

January 20th, 9:51 am

I’ve got a simple message for Jeff Rubenstein and Eric Lempel. If your Japanese firmware overlords ever ask for suggestions, and I emphasize the word “if”, please remind them that this is a gaming machine, and we gamers want gaming related features added with these updates.

Seeing updates time and time again that focus on media capabilities is just frustrating, when we all know that the PS3 is still in need of a lot of refinements and features related to social gaming and trophies.

Super_Chicken said:

January 20th, 9:51 am

Oh man… .mkv support is all I ever ask!

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 35