Marvel's Spider-Man

Mar 20

Mar 20

Sack it to Me: The “3 Letter” Edition – LBP, IFC and GDC!

Mark Valledor's Avatar Posted by Marketing Manager, SCEA

This week’s Sack it to Me post is full of interesting flicks, crowns, and LBP invading the Game Developers Conference. Check out some of the details below.

LittleBigPlanet - Short Film banner

LBP on IFC
Inspired by LBP’s motto of PLAY, CREATE, SHARE, filmmakers got their cameras out and shot short films for a chance at great cash prizes and to be on the Independent Film Channel. The winning films of the Play. Create. Share. Short Film Challenge range from fun paper craft worlds to animated line drawings to morphing clay sculptures – all of them extremely creative in their own fashion and true to the spirit of LBP. Check out the final nominees and winners here.

GDC-banner

LBP at GDC
Next week (3/25-3/27) the Game Developers Conference and LBP are partnering up for a great show. It was two years ago @ GDC when we announced LittleBigPlanet to the world. And since the theme of the SCEA booth this year is “Opportunity and Community,” we plan to dedicate two PS3 Kiosks to LittleBigPlanet.

The first Kiosk will be a “GDC CREATE jam-session,” an open area to showcase the “CREATE” talents of the GDC attendees. LBP fans, game developers and aspiring industry professionals can get together and create an LBP level. We are excited to see what happens when so many creative industry folks drop by and contribute. When the level is done and polished, we will post levels from each day for users at home to download and play.

The second Kiosk is reserved for very unique presentations – “Level by…me,” which will showcase a LittleBigPlanet level creator. During the day, they will discuss their personal game design technique and experiences as an aspiring developer. If you’re around, drop by (schedule below).

• Topic 1 – Getting Started
    Presenter: Chris Yeoh (PSN: Yeohman)

You’ve got a story in your head – and you want to share it with other LittleBigPlanet creators and players. Learn how one novice level creator translated his inspiration into gameplay in LBP.

Wednesday, March 25 – 2:30-3:30
    Thursday, March 26 – 11:30-12:30

• Topic 2 – Creative Infusion
    Presenter: Isaac Epp (PSN: Jutaro)

LittleBigPlanet is full of tools and gadgets that inspire the imagination and help creators up the creativity quotient in their levels – see how this level developer takes a creative approach to designing compelling levels.

Wednesday, March 25 – 11:30-12:30
    Thursday, March 26 – 1:00-2:00
    Friday, March 27 – 1:00-2:00

• Topic 3 – Technical Tips
    Presenter: Charles Cheung (PSN: Snowflakecat)

The technical capabilities of the design tools in LittleBigPlanet can be used in a virtually limitless number of ways and shared across the community. Hear how this level creator leverages those capabilities to enable more dynamic and challenging playing experiences.

Wednesday, March 25 – 1:00-2:00
    Thursday, March 26 – 2:30-3:30
    Friday, March 27 – 11:30-12:30

Mm Podcast
Listen to Media Molecule cofounder and creative director Mark Healy as he talks about LBP design decisions, the recent BAFTA awards, and some of their favorite LBP community levels!

CROWNED!!!
Speaking of Podcasts, we’ve noticed these LBP fans started posting fun review podcasts. Now that they’ve reached their 12th episode, more and more people in the office have subscribed and enjoyed. So, for being super supportive of the game from the start, we’ve decided to give them some LBP “Crownage.” Check out some of their episodes and the levels they feature – one of them might be yours! To Daniel and Austin, we appreciate the support. Keep the episodes coming and be sure to check your inbox.

And over on LittleBigWorkshop, we wanted to start recognize a handful of contributors that have been extremely influential within the LBP community with video workshop submissions that both show off creativity and share their level building techniques.

• JRGC17 – Love the Evolution of Dance remake!
  • DEFCON01 – Keep up all the tutorials, even the weird and bouncy ones.
  • ChilledChaoz – Love the variety of videos, especially the tutorials.
  • feendit – Cool working combination lock!
  • Reinheart – Love the day/night tutorial!

Also we’ve had workshops from the below CREATORS featured on our site for a while, as a sign of thanks, you’ve been CROWNED too!

We’ll be on the look out in the community for the next round of crowns. (BTW, still working out final details for the next LittleBigChallenge…including Canada. Announcements soon)

DLC Reminders
Don’t forget, it’s not too late to bring the luck of the Irish to your LBP level – the St. Patrick’s Day costume expires on 3/24 next week.

LittleBigPlanet Add-On - St. Patty's Day Costume

And FINALLY, Killzone Fans unite! The KZ Mini-Pack is on sale now on the Store!

LittleBigPlanet Killzone minipack

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Zezzler said:

March 20th, 3:05 pm

Sounds Great! i hope everything goes well at GDC!

Cant wait for FFVII Sackboys!

jipmg said:

March 20th, 3:06 pm

Hey guys PLEASE RELEASE A KILLZONE 2 THEEMD LEVEL PACK, SIMILAR TO MGS4, I WOULD LOVE IT, WITH TROPHIES AND STUFF. I WOULD BUY IT INSTANTLY !!!!

Also LBP is endless fun, I hope it sells forever to support amazing devs!

ThomasAnthony said:

March 20th, 3:06 pm

Hopefully you guys also announce a 100$ price cut at GDC.

I know of 5 people that will buy it right away.

jipmg said:

March 20th, 3:10 pm

@thomas Anthony

I know over 10 people that would just instantly buy a ps3, if its $299, and are leaning towards a 360 right now, since I told them sony said no to a price cut, oh well =/

Zezzler said:

March 20th, 3:11 pm

YAY for Canada BTW!

ADMAN111 said:

March 20th, 3:16 pm

How long until we can create a level online with friends? And will you raise the limit for how much stuff we can put into our levels?

smokey_vols said:

March 20th, 3:17 pm

Great stuff. When can we hear about the next level pack for LBP, you know like the Metal Gear Solid pack that was released. It’s about time we get another one :).

acmilanboy said:

March 20th, 3:25 pm

I would have gotten the KZ 2 pack if it had the levels like MGS Pack, please make stuff more like the MGS one.

Seiven said:

March 20th, 3:33 pm

Please release a higher resolution pic of that KZ2 LBP pic to use as a wallpaper!!!!

PLEASE!!!

Zookey said:

March 20th, 3:58 pm

nice hehe

BPink said:

March 20th, 4:04 pm

With the addition of the two new costumes yesterday, I’m at the limit. LBP tells me I can save no more. So, I’ve started deleting costumes that have a single object DLC Costumes to make room for any custom Costumes I might make.

I think that as we get more content we might need an update that allows us to save more costumes, or maybe even an update that allows the DLC Costumes to not count towards the total number of costumes. Not really sure what to do, but for me at least assembling the costumes and saving them is a quick way to just dress them in the outfits you designed.

Just as suggestion.

Thanks.

Neil said:

March 20th, 4:10 pm

Sweet. I suggest people play the user generated LBP level called “Caroling for Queen Victoria”. Genius.

lnrdshelby said:

March 20th, 4:29 pm

btw, sony: nice promo job for the game (done for games convention 2008) still admire it, when i’m on my way to work…

lakaiHIGH said:

March 20th, 4:33 pm

i really wish you guys would have created a Killzone 2 themed level like you did with MGS4. but i guess i should try and unleash my creativity and go create my own. thanks for all the great news.

peace,
Lh

KSPRAYDAD said:

March 20th, 4:39 pm

@3 and @4 … You’ve had the chance to get the PS3 for $249 and $299 for MONTHS through the SONY PlayStation CC offer.

*http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=sr150nowps3

ross_k said:

March 20th, 4:42 pm

@ Mark Valledor

When will be seeing the LBP avatars come out? Can we get a date or time range? and what other games are getting avatars?

Cheers

Mark Valledor's Avatar

Mark Valledor said:

March 21st, 10:54 am

Unfortunately we don\’t have a date yet, but I know its on the PlayStation Network teams\’ list.

Ftwrthtx said:

March 20th, 4:48 pm

I’ve got nmy tix for the Blog meet, but can I please get some tix for GDC itself?

bob52 said:

March 20th, 4:55 pm

Sone plz dont charge publishers for free downloads i can understand the reccesion but at least make it more appealing for publishers to put up demos by making it free,that way publishers will post more demos and other free content

Blkant said:

March 20th, 5:47 pm

So are we going to see any actual content or not soon? These costumes may make you a ton of money but this game is quickly becoming dated without some ACTUAL CONTENT. Just saying.

InFaMoUs1- said:

March 20th, 5:50 pm

I love “Sack it to Me”! Keep up the good work MM!

Link01 said:

March 20th, 5:56 pm

I still want the K2 pack… but I really want the Sephiroth outfit!

Sammie_mafia said:

March 20th, 6:17 pm

Good stuff

jipmg said:

March 20th, 7:17 pm

@KSPRAY

Well I know about that, sadly the GENERAL CONSUMER doesnt even know there is even a playstation credit card, because IT HASNT EVEN BEEN ADVERTISED.

Violater said:

March 20th, 7:29 pm

PSN down?
massive fail sony

KSPRAYDAD said:

March 20th, 7:33 pm

@24…you’ve never had a computer go down before? Massive fail indeed.

@23

But the fellows commenting HERE on this blog should certainly know about it…there was a huge blog post as well as it is advertised on the right side bar from time to time….if they truly have 10 friends that want a PS3 for $299 or less…they should advise them of the deal no?

Thrasher20 said:

March 20th, 7:42 pm

Yayuh!

Violater said:

March 20th, 7:43 pm

@25 I guess we get what we pay for right?

jipmg said:

March 20th, 7:54 pm

@violater

XBL was down for 3 days straight last year, so please dont troll

Enigma777 said:

March 20th, 8:07 pm

I dunno where else to post this since http://www.killzone.com is down, but I can’t get on KZ online!!!!

Mastroall said:

March 20th, 8:11 pm

@Viloater

Also, what are you talking about? Did you say massive fail when the 360 got the RROD? Did you say massive fail when the 360 got the E75 error? Did you say massive fail when XBL was down last year and 2 years ago?

Violater said:

March 20th, 8:12 pm

@28 & 29

You guys do realize I have a PS3 right?

KSPRAYDAD said:

March 20th, 8:22 pm

@30
The amount of downtime for the PSN is quite minimal over the 1 1/2 years I’ve had my PS3. Hardly seems necessary to call out SONY as a massive fail.

Vengeful-Chaos said:

March 20th, 8:58 pm

@ 31 – KSPRAYDAD

People will always point out the bad but never the good.

bullet9666 said:

March 20th, 9:39 pm

Hi ive been waiting for a Alitiar(asassins creed)costume for littlebigplanet since it came out is it possible that it will?

mckg123456789 said:

March 20th, 9:48 pm

SWEET, I LOVE HOW U GUYS SUPPORT LBP IM SO ADDICTED TO LBP! hope u guys keep it up LBP FTW!! :D

D34DL1N3R said:

March 20th, 9:49 pm

Unrelated, but why the )#$* did the UK get Silent Hill on the PSN but not the US?

Buff_Hamster said:

March 20th, 10:08 pm

In case you don’t plan on doing so, can you please post the High-Resolution images of the Helghast and Sev costumes that show off the front and side of the costumes. Just to compare:
The High-Resolution model of Kai:
The in-game model of Kai:

Champ78 said:

March 20th, 10:40 pm

Will there be a blog post relating to this service charge to developers that Sony started? I’d like to hear someone on the Sony side explain why they think this is a good idea. It’s bad enough when Micro$oft ponies up cash to get exclusives, but now Sony seems content to scare the rest of the developers who stayed with Sony to jump ship. And 16 cents for every 1gb downloaded adds up QUICK. How do you propose to really keep indie developers to support the PSN? At this point I’d almost accept a yearly fee to use PSN like XBOX Live over what you’re doing to developers who provide Sony content, and more importantly, PROFIT. Maybe I’m the ignorant one here, so please enlighten me why this is good for Sony, the developers, and its consumer base. Because from my standpoint the only ones profiting from this move is Sony.

SPOPS said:

March 20th, 11:43 pm

I don’t know maybe it is just me but… the killzone costume looked better in one of those videos we saw a long long time ago.

hvitdverg said:

March 21st, 4:10 am

Hello, this has nothing to do with this topic but i need an answer admins.
Why did not Norway RECIEVE THE STUPID COD : WAW map pack 1 ?
I added money on my ps3 :S to buy it and wtf its not there?

Other countrys in Europe has it but not me !

Argh tell me when they will be added.
please please please

KSPRAYDAD said:

March 21st, 4:43 am

@36…don’t believe everything you read. It is also very unlikely that SONY is going to come on here to explain its business model.

@38…you need to contact SCEE not SCEA. Here, try this: *http://no.playstation.com/ or the CoDW@W offical boards: *http://www.callofduty.com/board/

unbornsoldier said:

March 21st, 6:07 am

mark props on all the sucess youve had with little big planet,props to you and the whole team,its def deserved,i can honestly say to you this is a game that will last forever,hope all of you have a great time at gdc,good luck on everything you all do,ill be looking forward to all the new dlc,content,modes etc…new future projects that you and the team create,you are all an inspiration,keep up the great work,much props and respect,one more thing will you be announcing anything at gdc :),and if you are can you give us a tiny little hint of what to expect?

BigPoppaB said:

March 21st, 8:07 am

@jipmg

honestly, let your friends buy a 360. There are no exclusives coming out in 2009 that are worthwhile… so when you’re playing GOW3, Uncharted 2 they can come over and watch and wish they weren’t such cheap skates.

You wouldnt go to a ferrari dealership and say “come on guys, they’re selling Hondas across the street at a fraction of the price… you need to lower your price”.

You pay for quality

fandaeternal said:

March 21st, 10:13 am

I’m looking forward to seeing what Sony has in store for us next week at GDC. This is Sony’s year to shine in the gaming market.

It also will give me something to write about for my Dallas Sony Examiner page. Stay tuned to that.

fandaeternal said:

March 21st, 10:15 am

Add my RSS feed for Sony PS3 articles: http://www.examiner.com/RSS-6087-Dallas-Sony-Examiner

mrDUDE1 said:

March 21st, 10:52 am

CMON

SOME1 GUESS ALREADY
WHO IS THIS

“I will make you experience fear such as never before”

mrDUDE1 said:

March 21st, 10:55 am

also
i want that spacesack costume i didnt have internet till later later.
AND I PREORDERED IT :(I)
meh…..

mrDUDE1 said:

March 21st, 10:56 am

let us make levels with friends online

Wafi24 said:

March 21st, 12:09 pm

Hopefully i will get crowned maybe

Kenshin71 said:

March 21st, 4:59 pm

Haven’t played LBP in a while but have they fixed the Play Create Share counters yet? Everytime I logged on they were set at 0, no matter how many levels I played or how many played my level.

PAGE 1 2