Marvel's Spider-Man

Mar 26

Mar 26

Introducing Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

James Stevenson's Avatar Posted by Community Lead, Insomniac Games

Hey everyone,

Greetings from the SCEA Blogger’s Lounge at GDC! Last week, we teased you with our Ratchet & Clank Future Weapons Contest and the new action figures coming from DC Direct. While I’ll talk more about this in a bit, we are very happy at Insomniac to finally announce the name of our next game.

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time Logo

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time will conclude the story arc that started in Tools of Destruction and continued in Quest for Booty. There will be plenty to talk about over the next few months as we work towards our fall release, and we can’t wait to share more. But for those of you wanting a first look, tune into Gametrailers TV this week on Spike TV (check your local listings for time) for the world premiere of the teaser trailer.

For those of you who have been e-mailing us with questions about the Weapons Contest and asking when and where you can submit, you’ll be happy to know that submissions are open as of tomorrow! I’m also excited to announce the Grand Prize winner will have their weapon included in Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, will be given a life-size replica of the weapon, and will win a trip to San Diego Comic-Con to meet with the dev team and reveal the winning weapon to the public there!

As inspiration for you guys, tune in tomorrow for a little video roundtable talking about some of our favorite weapons stories and experiences over the years of working on Ratchet & Clank weapons.

That’s all for now, make sure you tune into GTTV to check out the teaser trailer!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 6

StrykerIsland said:

March 26th, 1:04 pm

James, do you know if there’s been any discussion about utilizing R1’s snow tech or R2’s water tech for this new project?

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

March 26th, 1:06 pm

All of the technology from our previoues games is available and rolled into the current 4th-generation engine that ACIT will be using.

So it\’s POSSIBLE those things could be used in the game IF there was a place for them.

LpSquall said:

March 26th, 1:05 pm

Will this game have online multiplayer?

Heartsbane said:

March 26th, 1:06 pm

Ah, the inevitable Europe Question: the competition’s only open to the U.S., correct? There was no mention of the competition on the European ratchetandclank.com sites.

Still, I’m overjoyed to have a new R&C on the way! The Full Moon Show should be returning very soon, I hope! :D

Moosehole said:

March 26th, 1:07 pm

Awesome! I love the Ratchet & Clank: Future games! Can’t wait.

Skidd said:

March 26th, 1:08 pm

DOWANTDOWANTDOWANT!

Zookey said:

March 26th, 1:08 pm

NICE! Congrats can’t wait to play it!

Unknown_Hero said:

March 26th, 1:08 pm

If clank is back early i the game i demand split screen and online co-op lol insomniac is the best ps3 exclusive game creator! Ive beat everyone of your games 3 or more times. Cant Wait!!

StrykerIsland said:

March 26th, 1:09 pm

Thanks for the reply James, that’s great to hear. Have been disappointed there were no scenarios in Future or R2 where the snow tech could be utilized.

Whoever’s writing these things, try to squeeze in some nasty weather levels into your storyline! ;)

Enforcer_X said:

March 26th, 1:09 pm

This game is going to be AMAZING!
I love when Insomniac comes to the PSBlog always good things!

Delriach said:

March 26th, 1:10 pm

I can’t wait for this game to come out. I expect crazy weapons. No… I demand it!

Trophies in Tools of Destruction would be nice. I’m sure you guys are sick of hearing about that though… well too bad :P.

Korbei83 said:

March 26th, 1:10 pm

Give us some really big gameplay screens!

Alidar said:

March 26th, 1:11 pm

So is this the third and final game in the planned trilogy? I assumed there would be three retail releases and that Q4B was a side project, but the post is making it sound like it was the second part of the trilogy.

KSPRAYDAD said:

March 26th, 1:11 pm

70 votes at 4.99 (who is the idiot?)…with such love for Ratchet I wish your sales well.

Can we hope for some Ratchet/LBP love? Maybe a Ratchet level to go along wit release? Make it so!

wizeguy22 said:

March 26th, 1:11 pm

Damnnnnn!!!!!!!!! i love insomniac i asked for a new Ratchet in the other post about the R2 patch and DLC…. and boom here you go new Ratchet and its a full Blu-Ray release … freaking awesome !!! I love u guys…

laughing_man_8 said:

March 26th, 1:12 pm

Awesome cant wait!
Will there be any type of online feature in the game this time?

jakinov said:

March 26th, 1:12 pm

Will there be multiplayer? There’s hardly any offline multilayer games lately.

MultiM said:

March 26th, 1:13 pm

SO AWESOME!

GoldenGotGame said:

March 26th, 1:14 pm

Thanks for getting back to me James, I really appreciate it. I checked the Home forums and it’s not just me. They are looking into it.

Now I can be on-topic! I can’t wait for this game, I love the R&C and Resistance series to death. Almost as much as I love Sly Cooper, lol!

EmperorKorea said:

March 26th, 1:15 pm

nice! ratchet & clank = best action platformer ever.

p.s. blue-ray? seriously? i thought someone who works close to sony would know that it’s blu-ray.

jncasanova said:

March 26th, 1:15 pm

I have some questions:

How long the discounted price for Quest for Booty will last?

Are Tools of Desctruction and Quest for Booty going to have trophies some day?

Could there be some data interchange or something between all ratchet and clank games?

How long will be Crack in Time compared to Tools of Destruction? how many weapons, how many upgrades?

StrykerIsland said:

March 26th, 1:19 pm

The price drop on QfB is temporary, so get it before it’s gone if you haven’t already.

No, trophy patches will not be happening for those titles.

Can’t answer that one, but I’d assume no, unless it was built-in from the get-go.

You cannot expect them to know how long a game will be at this point in the development cycle. If anything, I’d expect it to be similar to past games in this regard.

stevesap said:

March 26th, 1:20 pm

MAN OH MAN! I’M A HUGE FAN OF THE RATCH AND CLANK SERIES!!!!

I was wondering when the new installment was coming out? And know I hear this pleasure to my ears.lol. I’m a huge supporter of Insominac! I even have some of the staff members on Insomniac on my friend list on the PSN. SO BIG UPS!!!!!! Ratchet & Clank FUTURE: A Crack In Time! Can’t Wait!!!!

Q.uic C.ash

– Your #1 Asian Guy! Steve Sap!

SalMoriarty said:

March 26th, 1:21 pm

To James:

What are you looking for length of playtime? I felt like Tools was too short. Just as I was starting to enjoy the game, it ended. QFB was a nice continuation, but I understand why that was such a short game.

I guess, what I’m saying is that I’m looking for a 10-15 hour gameplay time.

Other than that, keep up the great work, and I look forward to getting my paws on this game.

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

March 26th, 4:14 pm

Tools was targeted to be about 12 hours… but some folks found it really easy. We\’re always trying to appeal to new folks, and our hardcore fans. With Q4B we added difficulty selection, and we want to make sure there is plenty of stuff for our fans to search for and find.

StrykerIsland said:

March 26th, 1:23 pm

Tools wasn’t shorter than 10 hrs, are you nuts? Some of you guys must just speed run through these games…

Violater said:

March 26th, 1:24 pm

Gametrailers exclusives need to go away.

Raptors138 said:

March 26th, 1:25 pm

ALl I have to say is…HOLY CRAP!

This is the best news I heard today, Ratchet and Clank series is what started me on the ps2, one of the best adventure/platform series out there.

Neil said:

March 26th, 1:26 pm

You might want to write an UPDATE and mention that the game is a full Bluray release. I saw that 1UP mentioned the game being a PSN game as well.

BostonCollegeFan said:

March 26th, 1:26 pm

Make love to me jstevens.

minameissteve said:

March 26th, 1:29 pm

Will it feature all new weapons?

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

March 26th, 4:12 pm

Yes indeed, along with some old favorites as well.

Swedgen said:

March 26th, 1:30 pm

I’d just like to say “Ouch” at the Joystiq jab.

Solid_Snake1972 said:

March 26th, 1:30 pm

Awesome! I am a HUGE Ratchet & Clank fan. I own all 8 titles and can’t wait for this one. Dr. Nefarious has always been my favorite villain, and I am happy to see that him and Lawrence have returned. I wonder how they finally made it off that asteroid they got stuck on in Up Your Arsenal. Keep up the good work guys on the Ratchet & Clank series and the Resistance series.

BabeBro said:

March 26th, 1:30 pm

Can you please make Talwyn a playable character? 3 player online co-op maybe? :o)

MazzingerZ said:

March 26th, 1:32 pm

Awesome! Thanks!

My kids thought it was a Pixar movie when I played TOD for them LOL SONY’s localization work is awesome, my whole family can enjoy your games in Swedish! a definite factor why I prefer the PS3, the other factor is Insomiac Games!!

Can’t wait!

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

March 26th, 4:15 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words!

jbullfrog23 said:

March 26th, 1:35 pm

Not many things make me as happy as the announcement of a new R&C game. Thanks Insomniac!

Zonified said:

March 26th, 1:35 pm

Sweet! Awesome name. I can’t wait to see the trailer and for the contest to start. I’ve been wanting to become a future concept artist for Insomniac so this is a great opportunity for me. :)

ketzler said:

March 26th, 1:35 pm

What system is this for? PS3?

madtyger said:

March 26th, 1:36 pm

My dreams have just come true.

ajwilson55 said:

March 26th, 1:37 pm

Awesome! I’m not creative enough to design a weapon, but I will be definitely be picking this up. The last two (ToD and QFB) were great!

pat_boy2008 said:

March 26th, 1:37 pm

Will this game have online multilayer?

SeanScythe said:

March 26th, 1:37 pm

hate to ask but will we ever get trophy support for past games? R:FOM, R&C:FToD

mywhitenoise said:

March 26th, 1:38 pm

This is one of my favorite series! I know you guys have said “No” a number of times before, but please PLEASE add trophies to ‘Tools Of Destruction’. I love that game so much and want to show it off.

sekaniy said:

March 26th, 1:39 pm

I really excited but…..

I hope it wont really conclude the series.

StrykerIsland said:

March 26th, 1:39 pm

They’ve already answered that question, no they won’t be adding trophies into old games.

davivman said:

March 26th, 1:39 pm

This is great news! By the by any way we can get a Ratchet or Clank costume for LittleBigPlanet?

Anthony_Galindo said:

March 26th, 1:40 pm

Assuming that there will be levels where you play as Clank, may I suggest that his levels play out as more of a platformer/brawler than Ratchet’s platformer/shooter?

direkt57 said:

March 26th, 1:40 pm

ive been rolling some ideas around for the contest… maybe putting something on paper would be a good idea…

i should get that CAD program and make it on that. that would be fun…

Jon_Mclane said:

March 26th, 1:40 pm

Oh man I still have Tools of Destruction sealed, I bought it around june last year and haven’t even opened it xD

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

March 26th, 4:16 pm

Time to crack that sucker open, and then download Q4B!

BigBoss712 said:

March 26th, 1:41 pm

You guys are the best!

devel said:

March 26th, 1:42 pm

Where can i find more stuff about the Weapon Contest. I’d like to know if the contest will also be available to Europe, because I’m in Portugal and I’d love to participate.

Werty said:

March 26th, 1:44 pm

Wonderful news, but like somebody already asked – will the weapon design contest be open for non-us residents? I mean, I probably could work my way around it seeing as I have family over the pond and my wife just happens to be American.
I do want to enter the competition though, even if I’m not eligible – the moment I saw the entry about the competition I had a pretty good idea for a weapon that should fit with the style and humour of the game. I’d prefer if that creativity didn’t go to waste :)

PAGE 1 2 3 4 6