PlayStation VR

Apr 01

Apr 01

PS3 Firmware (v2.70) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Hi everyone, we’re adding some great new features with the next PS3 firmware update (v2.70) that will continue to enhance your connected experience on the PS3. The 2.70 update brings a new Text Chat feature that enables you to communicate online with your PlayStation Network friends. Now, you’ll be able to chat with up to 15 online friends using the Wireless Keypad, on-screen keyboard, or other compatible keyboard peripherals. Not only can you chat with your friends instantly, but you can also access Text Chat while playing PS3 games and even participate in up to three chat rooms at once.

In addition to Text Chat, we’ve added a few more enhancements:

Friends list on the XMB (XrossMediaBar)

• Sort your friends via their online status
  • Attach larger files to the messages you send to your friends (file size will increase from 1MB to 3MB)

Video delivery service on PlayStation Store

• Video files you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store can be backed up to an external storage device and then restored to PS3’s internal hard drive for playback – so you can clear up space on your hard drive and then restore the video anytime in the future
  • Videos you’ve purchased for PSP (PlayStation Portable) system can now be transferred to PS3 for playback

For a quick preview of Text Chat and some of the other 2.70 features, check out this video:

The 2.70 update will be released soon, and as always, we look forward to reading your feedback.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 42

EmperorKorea said:

April 1st, 5:22 pm

we need cross in-game chat. i want to talk to a friend playing resident evil 5 while i play prince of persia.

crustySox said:

April 1st, 5:23 pm

wowsers! nice work!

WiZeGuY said:

April 1st, 5:23 pm

Are there any more features that you will gradually inform us about!?

AwRy108 said:

April 1st, 5:24 pm

FINALLY, we can back up our video content! Thanks SONY!

Ma1nframe said:

April 1st, 5:25 pm

PS3 VIDEO STORE FOR CANADA ANYTIME THIS CENTURY???????

WHAT ABOUT VOICE CHAT???

SHEESH…

HOW ABOUT PLAYING A SOUND WHEN A MESSAGE IS RECEIVED….

lowrider007 said:

April 1st, 5:25 pm

@ Lemm

You know tbh I starting to think that it’s not even possible to do party chat on the PS3, I mean what other reason would there be for them not giving us this option, it’s got to be one of the most requested features, I suppose text chat is better than nothing though.

JOEKILLA said:

April 1st, 5:25 pm

at this rate they will have VOICE CHAT in

FW 10.5

LOL

this chat stuff WILL NOT BE USED.

Violater said:

April 1st, 5:25 pm

Great Update, now for the HOME 3D Trophy Room! :)

Faiizow said:

April 1st, 5:25 pm

Ugh what.

No thanks.

j85thday said:

April 1st, 5:26 pm

It would be nice if I could actually usr the video store, you guys need to get your butts in gear and deal with whatever issues are holding the video store up in Europe, it’s nearly 1 year late already.

ThiagoLisboa said:

April 1st, 5:26 pm

Voice Chat in game for God’s sake!!!

headwing45 said:

April 1st, 5:26 pm

Did anyone else notice that there were 4 clickable icons under the Playstation Network tag in the video?, are we getting something else new in 2.70 thats not on the list?

Jeigh said:

April 1st, 5:26 pm

@ mod34 (46)

Yep, that guy’s got his head up his… well, you know. If you’re blaming Sony for not adhering to the rumors and hearsay of others, that’s your problem. Go ahead and pass on downloading this 100% free update and, while you’re at it, pass on using the 100% free PlayStation Network, because you won’t be logging on with out-of-date firmware.

CrystalX3D said:

April 1st, 5:27 pm

If the battery indicator still covers up my clock every time I hit the PS button, I swear I’m gonna throw my ps3 out the window. Ok, maybe not, but I’m still gonna be ticked.

Badfish54 said:

April 1st, 5:27 pm

I can finally clear up some space and not have to freak about losing any movies. This kinda adds to getting movies on the store now I think.

Also, I like the chat idea. would be nice if we could incorporate voice chat as well into this, so we can play games, but chat to other people on other games (maybe we can and I don’t know)

firedood said:

April 1st, 5:27 pm

I’m a bit confused. Theres going to be in-game text chat but will you use the voice/video chat option while in game?

In game text chat is good but you can’t play and talk at the same time.

j85thday said:

April 1st, 5:27 pm

Ops, I can’t edit, voice chat’s in there watch at 27Secs, you’ve got Audio/Video chat at the bottom.

ynp7 said:

April 1st, 5:27 pm

Oh yeah, just what I’ve always wanted! The ability to TEXT chat with up to 15 friends. Especially when I’m the only one with a USB or bluetooth keyboard. What a fantastic idea!

When the hell are we going to get VOICE chat that works across games and on the XMB?

Lieutenant_Bran said:

April 1st, 5:28 pm

zzzzz
More meaningless updates from Sony. Sure, it streamlines text messages… but goddamnit who uses text messages anymore? In ANY online environment.

eaferrari24 said:

April 1st, 5:28 pm

finally an update… wish voice chat was included.. but whatever… also did anybody notice that the battery icon hasn’t moved lol

DanielMeier said:

April 1st, 5:28 pm

I don´t want to sound ungrateful or anything but, i was kind of hoping to see some cross game chat in this update.

To me that´s the only thing my PS3 needs to phase out my Xbox 360.

But im happy for who ever finds these updates useful, i just have to cross my fingers for the next firmware update.

lynux3 said:

April 1st, 5:28 pm

Now we need cross-game VOICE chat with upto “X” amount of people. :)

yen-cid said:

April 1st, 5:29 pm

@49: do you realize there is both a textpad and you can use a keyboard on the ps3?

VI_timmy said:

April 1st, 5:29 pm

@ mainframe

dude its canada nobody cares bout us we never get nething get used to it

Pr1m3_5u5p3ct said:

April 1st, 5:31 pm

Is this an april fools joke?

TheBattleMonkey said:

April 1st, 5:31 pm

Well this is something nice, but seriously SONY we’ve been asking for cross game VOICE CHAT! Text chat takes forever and having to add a keyboard or etc to the system? No please add VOICE CHAT!

KSPRAYDAD said:

April 1st, 5:32 pm

Eric…

Concerning the Video Store back up…this still seems to be tied to the physical PS3 and NOT the PSN ID.

What is needed before people buy thousands of dollars of content is portability based on PSN ID.

Here are two examples:

1. I buy content and put it off to the external drive (BTW by definition this means I’ll never have a movie file >4GB right?)…now my PS3 needs to get repaired. I get a different PS3 back…will I be able to restore my content?

2. I actually have 2 PS3s in the house…By moving the content to an external drive can I watch it on EITHER PS3 as long as my PSN ID is present?

I fear the answer is NO in both scenarios so while the backup is nice it is NOT addressing the most important issue which is I should KNOW that I can play this content in the future using my ID no matter what PS3 I am using.

Please address and thanks.

lowrider007 said:

April 1st, 5:32 pm

@ VI_timmy

lol, I feel sorry for you guys you seem even worse off than us Brit’s when it comes to getting love from Sony :-P.

BiezulbubBill69 said:

April 1st, 5:33 pm

Please let this be a April Fools joke. VOICE CHAT, NOT text chat!!!!

=(

KSPRAYDAD said:

April 1st, 5:33 pm

@haven’t heard of twitter?

CrystalX3D said:

April 1st, 5:33 pm

Things I want for the PS3:
*PROPER shoutcast/icecast support (not a browser plugin)
–I imagine this working similarly to how a dlna networked computer shows up as an icon in the music column on the xmb, but instead it would be an internet radio icon that would expand to show a category list and then individual stations.
*Either an unlimited subscription rental service from the video store or compatibility with an existing video-on-demand service like StarzPlay
*RSS support with automatic download of most-recent podcast/video podcast
*HDMI CEC
*PAL dvd playback
*better xvid support of 1.0 RC 1,2,3

CrystalX3D said:

April 1st, 5:33 pm

Things I want for the PSN:
*voicemail
*send messages to friends from website on PC
*shop the store from website and add items to a queue to be downloaded automatically the next time logging into the PSN

RPKK said:

April 1st, 5:33 pm

I agree with a lot of the comments being made. We need voice chat! :)

&Can something be done about the notifications in the top right corner of the screen? It’d be nice if they weren’t so big and plain.

CrystalX3D said:

April 1st, 5:33 pm

Things I want for psp:
*Full implementation of PSN
— friends list with ability to send text messages, invites, and possibly voice chat from the xmb.
— online games to use PSN ID from now on.
*Change some of these firmware features like location free and skype into apps that run from the memory stick in order to free up room for other firmware features like more codecs, PSN, etc.
*A youtube app that plays the &fmt=18 (h.264) version of videos natively (aka not using the browser or flash) just like the iphone.

JCJAR said:

April 1st, 5:34 pm

We want in-game VOICE chat.

But I do appreciate the attachment filesize limit increase, though.
Don’t know how many times I’ve tried to send a photo from my camera only to have it fail because it’s too big. I still think 5MB is a better filesize, though.

iNvidious01 said:

April 1st, 5:34 pm

My feedback.

I think Sony should spend some time and give users what they all want, focusing on this will speed it up and then there will be no difference between PSN and XBL.

CROSS GAME CHAT, IN-GAME CHAT

^^ That is what we want. To be able to play a game, and be in a chat with other friends who are playing something else.

The text chat you given us is fine, but is not a major leap in communication..

DeathroW22 said:

April 1st, 5:35 pm

A step in the right direction, it is annoying having to send messages to instant chat will be nice.

Lets hope you add voice chat to that though – though im sure you know we want that :p

kaliber950 said:

April 1st, 5:35 pm

Very nice, often do I talk to several friends about the same topic but have to constantly keep up with multiple messages, now really looking forward to cross game voice chat, hope that comes soon.

Erdie said:

April 1st, 5:35 pm

Thank you, Sony! I’m not a voice chat fan (bandwidth not so great), so thanks for including text!

watsuke said:

April 1st, 5:35 pm

Thats great and all but can i start a voice chat and chat while playing a game? The text chat still works while in game so that should too right, being a form of cross game chatting.

JOEKILLA said:

April 1st, 5:36 pm

VOICE CHAT? was there as an option, why he didn’t talk about that [DELETED]?

EvoAnubis said:

April 1st, 5:36 pm

You know . . . when we said we wanted cross game chat, we kinda meant voice.

But, still, a fairly cool update! Can’t wait to see it!

womfalcs3 said:

April 1st, 5:36 pm

I love the IM.

Great feature addition.

AlexPaTruco said:

April 1st, 5:37 pm

awesome!! finally sony! lol I loved the in-game chat room…but what about voice chat room in-game? is it in here or will it be in a another update? :(

adolson said:

April 1st, 5:37 pm

I already have the option to sort my friends list by status… WTF?

Vinulize said:

April 1st, 5:37 pm

Finally!!!!

now, im hoping you guys going to design a new interface/UI/prgram for the others too(Music,Video,and Chat room) like the photo gallery.[Not the XMB]

Good Job!

ronald809 said:

April 1st, 5:37 pm

Friends list on the XMB (XrossMediaBar)
* Sort your friends via their online status

We already have this feature on the ps3

iComet said:

April 1st, 5:37 pm

Now that we have text chat, I’m HOPING we will get voice chat and cross-game chat VERY SOON… in the next firmware, please?

LpSquall said:

April 1st, 5:38 pm

First off thanks for the update. Best part of the update thus far is the ability to back up your video downloads. The text chat is great if it was provided in firmware update 1.5 and not 2.7.

Why focus resources on developing a text chat when I could just send them a message? In addition, when sending a message, you have the ability to send a message to more than one person so text chat really isn’t that “new”.

I am pretty sure the voice chat feature is coming soon, just not soon enough and the fans are becoming restless.

jipmg said:

April 1st, 5:38 pm

thats nice, but ughh why did you guys add TEXT CHAT why not VOICE CHAT cross game? Not saying I dont like TEXT CHAT, but it would be nice to be able to use VOICE CHAT cross game..

PAGE 1 2 3 4 42