Overwatch

Apr 08

Apr 08

Valkyria Chronicles DLC marching to PSN soon

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

Valk-DLC15

A number of you have been asking about this on our weekend posts, and today SEGA has the answer. Beginning with tomorrow’s April 16th’s PlayStation Store update, gamers will be able to return to Gallia to fight some new EWII battles.

Here are details on the Valkyria Chronicles DLC, direct from SEGA:

• Hard EX Mode – fight your way once again through the entire Imperial army, where the enemies are more lethal and your main tank Edelweiss is unavailable. You’ll have to be more strategic in order to overcome your opponents.
  • Edy’s Mission “Enter the Edy Detachment” – six members have been separated from Squad 7 and on their journey to reunite with their squad, they stumble upon a tiny village under attack by the Imperial Army. Play as Edy and command your outnumbered team to defend the small village from annihilation.
  • Selvaria’s Mission “Behind Her Blue Flame”– Taking place right after the outbreak of Gallian battle lines, you play as Johann, a young and meek engineer assigned to Selvaria’s troop. See the action as it unfolds behind enemy lines and see the war play out through the eyes of the enemy.

Selvaria and Crew 2

We don’t do reviews or really inject opinions into the news we carry on PlayStation.Blog, but if you haven’t tried Valkyria Chronicles, you really owe it to yourself to try out this beautiful, PS3-exclusive, strategy JRPG. There’s a demo available right now on the PlayStation Store.

Also, we’ve got a few more PSB-exclusive screens for you to look at here.

Add Your Own

angelcoma said:

April 8th, 11:25 am

Jeff, why did you edit the post? It said it was coming tomorrow and now it doesn’t say?

Sega says the 16th, major bummer.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

April 8th, 11:52 am

Post updated – it\’s coming on the 16th.

angelcoma said:

April 8th, 11:26 am

THE GAME IS 29.99 AT GAMESTOP’s GAME DAY SALE. PICK IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Onna76_NL said:

April 8th, 11:26 am

QUIT WHINING ABOUT TROPHIES AND GET THE GAME ALREADY!!! Sheesh, do people around here ever stop acting like a spoiled kid? This game is the best and most epic JRPG this generation. If you love good, sentimental stories, get this game, if you love original art style with stunning looking graphics, get this game, if you love strategy mixed with action, get this game! Its a game unlike any other Strategy / RPG out there.

If you’re not getting it … you’re stupid and not helping brilliant exclusive titles like this, which everyone is crying about.

End rant.

Onna76_NL said:

April 8th, 11:27 am

OT: I can’t wait for the DLC, I’m sure gonna play the game again!

angelcoma said:

April 8th, 11:32 am

Sega already emailed their PR for this. It comes out on the 16th. Just letting you know Jeff, it is next week.

Would be cool if you could work your magic and get it a week early.

freakyzeeky said:

April 8th, 11:32 am

This is one of those games I want, even without Trophy support, and I’m BIG on trophies. Frankly, it be nice if the game had ’em though. ;)

Neil said:

April 8th, 11:33 am

I have this game but don’t want to play it because I want Trophy support. Any word on if the game will receive any?

michaelja said:

April 8th, 11:34 am

For as much as people complain about the trophy support question, Sega should really just answer the question already. They keep posting to relatively public forums such as here, their own blog, and their twitter account specifically for this game. Yet they are outright ignoring this question which is asked fairly often.

Please no “trophies aren’t needed” replies, that’s not the point. I have the game and enjoy it. To some people there is a significant amount of playtime added through trophies because there are new defined goals to reach for. It’s a valid question and one that is fair to expect Sega to at least acknowledge if not answer.

angelcoma said:

April 8th, 11:35 am

@ 58.

They already said that there would be no trophy support for this game. Move on.

Chowbacca said:

April 8th, 11:35 am

I might consider purchasing this game if it had trophy support. Please add this in!

Insomnia999 said:

April 8th, 11:36 am

Awesome can’t wait!

I’ll definitely buy some DLC.

More people need to get this game!
It should have trophies as well.

Insomnia999 said:

April 8th, 11:37 am

Oh Jeff, on IGN it says it is coming out next week.

DMeisterJ said:

April 8th, 11:37 am

I’m buying this game in a day or two at Gamestop. Looks awesome.

xKOROSHIYAx said:

April 8th, 11:37 am

Great news! It’s about time the best game on the PS3 gets the DLC released.

Ehahneli-13 said:

April 8th, 11:38 am

AWESOME!!!! Can’t wait. This game is amazing. It is one of my favorite games of all time. Besides the DLC, we need trophies, a sequel/spin-off, NA release of the anime (over PSN?), and more DLC. If you haven’t purchased this game then there is something wrong with you. The demo is ok, but the game is SO much better then the demo.

Off topic: When will get SCEA trophy cards?

michaelja said:

April 8th, 11:40 am

@60

Did they? Where did they say this? I’ve honestly not seen it anywhere.

drdre74 said:

April 8th, 11:41 am

It kills me that people are still on the “I’m not buying it until they add trophies” kick. Please the game isn’t getting trophies and you’re missing out on a good game. I haven’t finished the game yet, got side tracked on some other games but its worth every penny.

Onna76_NL said:

April 8th, 11:42 am

*Bounce head on her keyboard*. Jeff can you do something about this, I’m having a Trophy trauma here…. plus a headache.

Enigma777 said:

April 8th, 11:42 am

No the game WILL NOT have trophies! Its been made clear by the devs a long time ago. Now go out and buy this incredible game!

And to those who keep b****ing about no trophies, take a look at games like R&CF and MGS4. Did the lack of trophies make the games less enjoyable? This is a game with the same caliber as those two, so if you’re holding out b/c of the lack of trophies then your are idiots!

MazzingerZ said:

April 8th, 11:47 am

AWESOME! thanks! Best next-gen RPG so far!

mywhitenoise said:

April 8th, 11:48 am

can we get trophies?

Onna76_NL said:

April 8th, 11:49 am

Good on ya drdre74 and Enigma777, more people wanna join the Valkyria Support Squad team, by defending Valkyria Chronicles and spread the good mercy of this game? Join us and move out!

Signed, Commander Onna76_NL

*Lol*

IGLOO05 said:

April 8th, 11:52 am

Nice! I picked this up yesterday and will start it next week during break. Like most of the comments here, trophies would be really nice SEGA(wink, wink).

But I’ll be playing no matter what.

Anzo42 said:

April 8th, 11:54 am

Thanks Jeff. I’m playing skirmishes now on Hard to up the ante a bit while waiting for the DLC. One clarification: Is Hard EX mode for the campaign or just the skirmishes?

Thanks!

reson8er said:

April 8th, 11:54 am

Forget Trophies.

This game is now 29.99 at Gamestop.

If you like JRPG’s and/or Strategy games, you MUST own this game.

At 29.99 (1/2 price!) there is no longer any excuse.

Please do yourselves a favor and go play this awesome game.

ManaKnight said:

April 8th, 12:01 pm

To let everyone know, by NOT buying this game, you are telling Sega you do not want another awesome original JRPG on PS3. You’re telling Sega you rather have them make a new Sonic game over and over again instead of trying something new.

Please, just forget about trophies for once. The game wasn’t a high seller, and it definitely deserves more sales. Not buying this game because of trophies doesn’t mean Sega will just keep releasing exclusive PS3 games with trophies, it really means they may either skip releasing PS3 games (if they don’t sell) or won’t even consider bring other awesome games stateside like Yakuza 3 (which has trophies). VC is so good, trophies are NOT needed.

Anyway, I’m excited for the DLC. I have not beaten the game yet, but I’m getting closer. For sure I’ll get it sometime because Sega deserves my money bringing this awesome game to PS3, and for supporting it.

nv_Los said:

April 8th, 12:06 pm

i hope they add the trophy support but for $30 im definitely picking this up

nuness1988 said:

April 8th, 12:10 pm

Will be buying the two campaigns. Doubtful on the difficulty mode. Maybe if it comes packaged in a bundle for only two dollars more than the two campaigns otherwise no dice on that.

spunnups said:

April 8th, 12:12 pm

Please ask about trophies

Chaosrunner said:

April 8th, 12:13 pm

I’m not a huge DLC add-on fan, but I really couldn’t get enough of this game until real life took away my time to dedicate to it. I’m only a mission or two short of finishing the first run through and the story alone is almost worth the price of admission. Especially at $29.99.

As for trophies…yeah, it would be nice, but it’s never been a requirement for me. There are in-game medals you can get which, while you can’t show them off to your friends, add to the replay value. And it was just good fun, with a well balanced game mechanic, eye-popping graphics (it looks like freaking watercolors, for pete’s sake), and the above-mentioned fantastic story.

albrnick said:

April 8th, 12:16 pm

A trophy patch would be great :) You prolly won’t hear that, so let me put that out there. ;)

Peace,
-Nick

Cocoreccho said:

April 8th, 12:16 pm

WOOOOO!!!! getting this first thing it comes out, been waiting a while. :D really hope you guys consider trophy support too

AwRy108 said:

April 8th, 12:21 pm

Valkyria Chronicles is on sale right now at GameStop for $29.99, and is well worth it.

Shame on the people who don’t pick up this game based solely on its lack of Trophy support. I have one thing to say to these people: you’re not real gamers. Period.

Thrasher20 said:

April 8th, 12:37 pm

Not really my kind of game, but I’m glad to see developers support for Playstation games. I like you guys, keep it up !

NoobianGod said:

April 8th, 12:41 pm

I was very interested in this game originally but the lack of trophies keeps the wallet in the pocked for me. If they are going to give us this great DLC show me trophy support and I’ll show them the money!

…I feel so bad for making that quote…

tolkienfanatic said:

April 8th, 12:48 pm

Is there any word on a discount for buying all three packs?

VofEscaflowne said:

April 8th, 12:52 pm

Reading through this thread, I almost have to laugh at Sony’s idiocy. They should just go and release weekly trophy packs on the PSN. 5$ gets you a combination of bronze and silver trophies. 10$ gives you the same but a gold trophy as well. But shell out 30$ and you’re given a rare (IT’S RARE GUYS WHICH MEANS AWESOME) platinum trophy. The previous week’s trophies are taken down when new ones are put up so they’re even more exclusive and you can track down who is the best of the best in gamers. DO IT SONY!

Onna76_NL said:

April 8th, 12:53 pm

@NoobianGod And I feel bad for you that you don’t want to spend 30 dollars for a game that takes at least more than 30 hours to complete only because it doesn’t have trophies.

I wonder if there weren’t any trophies on the PS3 like over a year ago, would you people have bought the game then? Of course you would have! What more can you ask for then getting one of the best current gen RPG’s for such a bargain… my point exactly.

Onna76_NL said:

April 8th, 12:55 pm

@VofEscaflowne sounds more like a job for MS if you ask me.

KazeEternal said:

April 8th, 12:57 pm

Sweet, I finally got around to playing this game (bought it on release day) after clearing through my back log of titles. I’m about half way so it’s nice to know the DLC is waiting for me as soon as I finish the game.

LokeSTL said:

April 8th, 12:58 pm

If trophies are added, I will buy this game at the $30 price point. “Why?” you ask. Because I’m a JRPG fan, but not an SRPG or shooter fan. Yes, I played the demo. Wasn’t impressed by the “innovative” battle system. Wasn’t impressed by the graphics and art style. I’ve heard about the games “great story”, but am yet to hear what the story is actually about. Due to the lack of JRPGs on the PS3, I have to give this game consideration. If this had been a traditional turn-based RPG, I’d have bought it day 1. So, it comes down to “Does this game have enough of what I want”. Not yet, but trophies would be just enough of an addition for me to purchase it. Same goes for Disgaea 3. It would be a smart idea to get that trophy patch live before the opportunity is missed. For me, the window is between now and May 19th.

@Omna76_NL – :p

TakiFuGu said:

April 8th, 1:01 pm

Once this game is patch with Trophy support I’ll buy it.

joostin said:

April 8th, 1:01 pm

I haven’t paid much attention to this game. It looks interesting, but reminds of of something like Dark Cloud. I got bored of that game in hours! Anyone wanna give me a brief description on gameplay?

Onna76_NL said:

April 8th, 1:03 pm

@LokeSTL right back at ya.

LokeSTL said:

April 8th, 1:05 pm

@joostin

Download the demo from the store. Playing it for yourself is better than any description.

OverlordSpike said:

April 8th, 1:08 pm

its a shame such a great game doesnt have trophies, since it would boost sales, but come on..not buying it because it doesnt have trophies? thats weak.

Kren420 said:

April 8th, 1:12 pm

@91 LokeSTL

SirTrigalot said:

April 8th, 1:14 pm

how about some trophies

VofEscaflowne said:

April 8th, 1:15 pm

“couldnt agree more with you, im still quite on the fence with this game, not a fan of the watercolour styling and battle system but trophies would seal the deal”

What? Okay, this is an amazing game for fans of the genre, I think that much is clear. But not being a fan of what the game is about BUT it having trophies would make you purchase it? Why are people so weird?

wolverine81 said: