Farpoint

Apr 20

Apr 20

SingStar Global Patch Adds Voice Control, Trophies and More

Erin English's Avatar Posted by Product Marketing Manager

Good news for all you SingStar fans! Today we released a global patch featuring a number of new and enhanced gameplay and online features for SingStar PS3 users.

A new voice control menu will enable players to scroll through the song carousel and select the tracks they’d like to sing by simply speaking into the microphone. In addition to voice control, the new patch will include support for over 30 trophies including ‘Super Singer Gold’, ‘Keep it Cool’ and ‘All Eyes on You’, quick song purchase functionality and an enhanced redesign of the SingStore and MySingStarOnline. The new patch is free to users and will be compatible with all SingStar PS3 discs.

For all you Queen fans, late last week we announced the upcoming release of SingStar Queen for the PS3 and PS2. Available as a standalone disc on August 18, SingStar Queen features over 20 classic hits from the iconic pop-rock group including ‘We Are The Champions,’ ‘Another One Bites The Dust,’ ‘We Will Rock You,’ ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ and ‘Under Pressure’. For a sneak peak at SingStar Queen, check out the teaser trailer below:

Add Your Own

LordRaoh said:

April 20th, 2:21 pm

SingStar needs more Hip Hop…

and i dont mean young mc or mc hammer

TopDogg069 said:

April 20th, 2:27 pm

when are we going to get consistent updates with songs released within the last 10 years or so??

acerazer1 said:

April 20th, 2:33 pm

I wish Rockband was getting Queen content.

Peltz said:

April 20th, 2:36 pm

I’ll end up buying Queen, but how about Singstar Elton John!

ADR143 said:

April 20th, 2:37 pm

yay!

EmpireNO said:

April 20th, 2:45 pm

Voice control is available from 22. april

stri said:

April 20th, 2:48 pm

Don’t have this game, more of a Guitar Hero WT fan really…but it’s a cool addition.

Now, just add a patch for GH WT to allow three guitars simultaneously and I’ll be happy…
Well…until I complain about something else tomorrow that is.

EmpireNO said:

April 20th, 2:52 pm

You should write in the article that voice control isn’t available before the 22nd of april.

EmpireNO said:

April 20th, 2:53 pm

Oh, and great that you added trophy support. Awesome.

bob52 said:

April 20th, 2:55 pm

Trophy support for the win thanks :)

sdstone said:

April 20th, 2:56 pm

Yes, to have a competitive product:
1. Allow ripping of SingStar songs from discs to hard drive so we don’t have to disc swap (if EA can afford to do it with Rock Band, so can you).
2. Release bluetooth wireless microphones
3. Update the SingStore more frequently
4. Allow any region to download any other region’s songs in the SingStore.

It always seems like SingStar is unsuccessful in the U.S. because of hamstrung legal and regional limitations. I assure you that if you follow the 4 easy steps above, you’ll be successful.

It’s not that Britain has bad taste in music. The songs that you see in the SingStore are just a subset of what Britain gets in their SingStore. They have some better songs available to them that we don’t get.

Darkos87 said:

April 20th, 3:04 pm

HOME REWARDS FTW

crustySox said:

April 20th, 3:11 pm

Nice update…But I have 2 questions…Where are the wiresless mics? and can you still get trophies even when using ps2 singstar games, after loading ps3 singstar initially?

Belkon said:

April 20th, 3:27 pm

I will definitely get this and HOPE that these songs will make their way to Rock Band so I can play them on drums and guitar!!!!!

Jon_Mclane said:

April 20th, 3:30 pm

Is their any difference between the PS2 and PS3 version of singstar queen?

EktorOni said:

April 20th, 3:35 pm

There are 4 trophies with Home rewards. I’ve unlocked 3 already. I just checked my Home wardrobe and the rewards aren’t there. :/

Any idea on how I might retrieve said rewards, Sony?

APaz said:

April 20th, 3:38 pm

I would care more if the songs didn’t suck so much.

CheesePie13 said:

April 20th, 3:52 pm

WOOOOOOH! GO QUEEN! Too bad i dont have singstar. :(

Common RockBand Bring us some QUEEN!

Spaceghost4284 said:

April 20th, 3:54 pm

I bought this game the first day it was out. It was suppose to have hit songs from major artists, the ability to completely download the PS2 singstar library and all these other cool features. Instead we got this unsupported pile of dog crap here in the US. We are fed the yucky leftovers they get across the pond. Even in Europe this game is undersupported. Why is it that Rockband and Guitar hero can do such a good job with DLC when they have to code for multiple instruments and are stuck with one genre of music? Singstar started off way more popular around the world and is now yesterday’s news because Sony completely blew how they handled and marketed this game. LAME!

StrykerIsland said:

April 20th, 3:56 pm

Awesome!! I play this with my wife and kids, and these are very welcome additions. :D

StrykerIsland said:

April 20th, 3:56 pm

@68 Just press Select to pop in a PS2 Singstar disc and choose the songs off it.

Super_Chicken said:

April 20th, 4:10 pm

This game is a blast, but I’m a PS3 owner who loves the convince of not having to change disks and adding additional songs using DLC. Will this be hitting DLC like over in Europe?

stephen2005 said:

April 20th, 4:43 pm

My sister just played some Singstar and she unlocked some trophies. The trophies that unlock items in Home as well. She keeps bugging me about it, but as I tell her, the patch just came out today. Can’t find anything about it online.

But she can’t find what Home items she received?

Anybody have the same problem?

INTVGene said:

April 20th, 4:45 pm

Already imported Queen..

But thanks for the trophies!

lakaiHIGH said:

April 20th, 5:00 pm

dang singstar queen is nothing short of epic. you guys just added another title to the list of games that i have to buy this year!!!

cheers,
Lh

iCSpEEdRaCeR said:

April 20th, 5:47 pm

Cool features, but it’d be great to have the ability to sing the songs on the other SingStar discs without having to swap – like RockBand 2 and the fact that they let people put RB1 songs on the PS3 HDD but they show up on the RB2 menu. I also would love to see these subsequent SingStar releases also show up as DLC. I really don’t get why the wireless mics aren’t out in the U.S. yet…

TakiFuGu said:

April 20th, 5:56 pm

Off topic:

Is there anybody else on here having issues with their PSN Friends List? My messages are showing up under multiple friends. I’ve been having this problem for months now. I wrote about it here on the blog but never got an answer. It’s super annoying!

fredc97 said:

April 20th, 6:11 pm

@sdstone:
1.- That would be very good
2.- They are out in France and I have tried them and they work well, but the wireless hub is a bit big for my taste.
3.- Bi-weekly is quite good, every week = better
4.- That’s really one of my big gripes, UK has over 200 more songs and other languages are almost non-existent in north america.

Enigma777 said:

April 20th, 6:37 pm

Jeff, I send Chris like 3 Facebook messages like how you suggested, but he has yet to get back to me….. I’m really starting to feel like you guys ran out of codes or something and I’m never gonna get in on the Fat Princess beta… Talk about getting me excited only to shoot me down :(

Midgetguy said:

April 20th, 7:06 pm

NICE! This is VERY good news! I’ve been looking into purchasing Singstar for the PS3, but I was waiting for the promised trophy support and better US Music support!

So far I’ve heard of the trophy support (thanks again by the way)but I haven’t really heard about the American music support…

Could we possibly get updates right here on the blog about all the new music added to the store. Then I’d be able to see some of the music you guys offer, and I might be swayed more towards purchasing singstar!

Thanks!

traininvain90 said:

April 20th, 7:29 pm

sweeeet!! my friend’s dad would love this! =D

Grouch said:

April 20th, 7:31 pm

KSPRAYDAD | April 20th, 2009 at 12:33 pm

“Awesome.
Please work on content now though…I want ABBA and Queen as DLC not discs.”

KSPRAYDAD | April 20th, 2009 at 12:34 pm

“Oh…we need vids in HI DEF.”

Returners | April 20th, 2009 at 12:45 pm

“When is Vol. 3 and the wireless mics coming to US?
LOVE THE SERIES. PLEASE KEEP COMING.”

DMPrince | April 20th, 2009 at 12:51 pm

“I’m not going to call Sony support again. Get my 11 songs I bought to work with my ps3. I talked to Sylvia who apparently DID NOT do anything even after I sent her the receipt TWICE.
The stupid Sing Star DRM is sooooo terrible. Seriously. Who’s idea was it to do that?!”

I know it’s very easy to just take what London studios has done and port it, but maybe this game would sell better if it were tailor towards the US crowd. ALSO, since SCE is now in Latin America, how long before we see Latin American music on the SingStore??? The Spanish songs on there aren’t that good. Thank You!!

P.S. I reposted the comments because I felt the same way as those folks.

CJSgamer said:

April 20th, 7:39 pm

Voice control? Where is it?

dulcediana said:

April 20th, 8:11 pm

I cant believe sony waste precious time with this and lbp…use that time to put voice chats and BACKWARDS with that the 360 gonna going straight to hell!

Ixionx said:

April 20th, 8:30 pm

If you guys allowed us to import the songs off the Vol 2/3/abba/queen discs into the original PS3 singstar release you’d get an extra $150-$200 from me. Unfortunately as you can’t do this **like you can in Rockband**, I’m not going to ever purchase the expansion discs =(

shad_86 said:

April 20th, 8:36 pm

more american artist!!! pleaasee

MattyF said:

April 20th, 8:45 pm

Will the Queen songs be made available to download, too?

mgrantz said:

April 20th, 9:00 pm

why did you remove the hdd option for the menu music?

KSPRAYDAD said:

April 20th, 9:27 pm

Answers for some of the questions posed…pretend this post is in red :)

YES you can earn trophies using PS2 disc songs.

HOME REWARDS – BuggieTechnica (HOME Community Manager) has said that the rewards are not live until Thursday some time…why they don’t say that in the post here boggles.

DIFFERENCES IN QUEEN – Number of songs on disc and price. (PS3 has 5 more songs)

VOICE CONTROL will be downloadable on Apr 22 from within the SingStore

SINGSTAR ELTON JOHN – Yes please!

daffycare said:

April 21st, 12:37 am

the singstore needs more song so i can download, 80;s 90’s my wife is always complaining not much good songs, westlife,madonna ect

Xenostar said:

April 21st, 2:23 am

The Home Rewards appear to be T-Shirts with slogans related to the trophies. Also Seem to be Male and Female specific which is a bit of a shame.

crazykiller666 said:

April 21st, 2:48 am

I will never play sing star rock band is better

l0_t0 said:

April 21st, 4:39 am

Once again adding features to put off others.
Where is the option to custom music for the main menu?

It was before the update, but now who knows….

bdavid81 said:

April 21st, 5:15 am

Ever notice when it’s a 1st party Sony announcement, there are no reps commenting and answering questions in here. But, when it’s a 3rd party developer, they have someone in here to answer questions, and just comment in general.

dallow said:

April 21st, 6:16 am

Hi Erin,

I realize Singstar is more popular in Europe, but please try to get the Morrissey and The Libertines tracks over to America!

scorpio182 said:

April 21st, 6:17 am

@49 yes i know that but swapping can be a pain in a party setting.

Anyways i booted up Singstar last night (its been about six months since i have). I won a few trophies and even bought a few songs lol.

My two wish list items are:
1. option to download music from PS2/PS3 discs to HDD
2. Much better North American music support

Is that much to ask? I know 1. probably is but 2. shouldnt be….

djRidz said:

April 21st, 6:31 am

Me and my wife love us some singstar…. but for the love of the karaoke gods… please release some american songs… that americans know… in the american region…

microsofts lips is nowhere as good as singstar… but they have more current popular songs to download… dont let this happen…

StalkingSilence said:

April 21st, 7:57 am

One of my favorite PS3 games – great work! Can’t wait to download the patch!

Tommy_Kazama said:

April 21st, 9:00 am

I love Singstar but I hate swapping discs. I have the first singstar on the PS3 and almost 80 downloaded songs.

Erin English, if you’re reading this, if you put the songs on Singstore I’ll buy them in a heartbeat; but on a separate disc – forget it. If anything, allow me to import the songs from the disc to my hard drive for a small fee a-la Rock Band or something.

I hope you find this feedback helpful.

pembroke said:

April 21st, 10:12 am

Will the vocal track be muted or mutable on the PS3 version? I’m tired of singing over the existing vocals on songs, and Freddie’s a pretty dominating presence on Queen tracks.