PlayStation VR

Apr 21

Apr 21

Team up with PSN on Earth Day

Liz Walsh's Avatar Posted by E-Commerce Manager, PlayStation Store

EarthDay09

Hi Everyone – It’s Liz, manager for the video store. Tomorrow on Earth Day, Wednesday, April 22, we’re very excited to announce an opportunity for you to team up with PlayStation Network and help save the planet, one digital download at a time! Go to the video store tomorrow and help support Conservation International, a nonprofit organization that seeks to protect Earth’s high-biodiversity wilderness areas and important marine regions around the globe.

Then don’t forget to also visit our Featured Collections category for a special “Save Our Earth” selection of titles made up of science-fiction, action movies, anime and other films which showcase planet earth, and our effort to defend it from forces who attempt to destroy it. We’ve included such titles as Cloverfield, Hancock, The Abyss and The Day After Tomorrow for your viewing pleasure.

So, this Earth Day you can download your favorite movies and TV shows from PlayStation Store and feel good about helping our planet earth!

Also, as a reminder, video files you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store can be backed up to an external storage device and then restored to PS3’s internal hard drive for playback – so you can clear up space on your hard drive and then restore the video anytime in the future. Try it.

And we are also pleased to reveal that one of the most environmentally friendly video games will indeed becoming to PlayStation Network North America. Trash Panic (Gomibako in Japan) will becoming to PSN this Spring… more details to come here on the blog.

Trash Panic

Trash Panic

EarthDay09

Add Your Own

chriscowboyd said:

April 21st, 10:05 am

I certainly hope Trash Panic (Gomibako in Japan) will have custom soundtrax.

K6U1R5D said:

April 21st, 10:10 am

I’m from US but from all the complaints about not having the store in Canada is just pretty dumb. Come on Sony give them the video store so they can stop complaining and you guys can take the pressure off of you every time you come on the blog. No matter what you do there will always be complaints but this has gone on for too long. Get it done Sony!

ItsNymo said:

April 21st, 10:11 am

sweet! I cannot WAIT to hear more about Gomibako, er, Trash Panic coming to America!

saintaqua said:

April 21st, 10:14 am

……just a dollar for the first 10,000? I think Sony can do better than that.

Plus, I’d rather help feed the children or Holocaust survivors.

However, I’m looking forward to the new games. :)

improperlyaged said:

April 21st, 10:15 am

Guys again read the post the donation only applies to video content ao buy the games anyway if u want it. this is just an attempt by sony to get people to buy more lame content that they dont want cuz “it will help the enviroment.” if sony wants to help the enviroment they should bring ffvii, resident evil, and metal gear to the psn and do this same promotion with just those games and grant it to the first million buyers. i guarantee conservation international will have amillion dollar donation in about 20 minutes of these games hitting the psn and it will be for content that the ps fans actually want to buy( i know thats kind of rare lately).

Neil said:

April 21st, 10:17 am

Thanks to whomever decided to bring Gomibako to the US! I will buy it day 1.

trapper12 said:

April 21st, 10:18 am

I’ve been tracking Trash Panic down since it was shown at the Tokyo Game Show last year. Another great PSN title to buy. Thanks.

ye11owpharmacy said:

April 21st, 10:28 am

Yeah Gomibako!

tearsofash said:

April 21st, 10:40 am

Gomibako is coming to the store!

Color me excited!

Drackir said:

April 21st, 10:42 am

10 000? How many transactions approximately does this do normally? Is this going to be like “Sony Donated $5 of the $200 000 they made off of online sales!”?
That’s actually really, really lame. How disappointing.

Drackir said:

April 21st, 10:44 am

Oh wait, I get it. “For each of the first” I thought it was every $10 000. Ok. That’s better then.

almighty-slayer said:

April 21st, 10:44 am

I’ll do my bit by leaving my PS3 on all day and not buying anything from the store.

No need to thank me

DMPrince said:

April 21st, 10:45 am

ahh. I wish Trash Panic came out this month ;(

Jeigh said:

April 21st, 10:55 am

Well, I do agree that the percentage actually being donated is quite poor, but I have to ask: for all those claiming that it would be better to simply donate the money directly, how many of you are ACTUALLY going to do it?

If I estimated it at 0, I’m betting I wouldn’t be far off. This will most certainly help them without having to give yet another site your credit card number, and get a movie out of it at the same time. Would more generosity on Sony’s part make it more worthwhile? Absolutely. But the prices remain the same for us, and I’m guessing the reason for the low figure may be because of relatively poor sales on the video store. Hell, most of the time I don’t take notice of the fact that it’s there.

If it’s really that big of a deal, pick something that’s really cheap. I think I’ll grab an episode of Family Guy or something just for the hell of it.

(Oh, and to 48: “man-made global-warming a hoax” ? What a republican statement.)

TwinDad said:

April 21st, 11:15 am

Does everybody just see a wall of text and only look at the pictures. Reading comprehension for the loss.

They are not donating $1 for every 10K transaction. They are donating $1 for every transaction made on earth day up to the 10,00th transaction. In other words they are donating up to $10,000. It will go far in conservation.

Oh, and Gomibako coming soon to the US store :)

digplans said:

April 21st, 11:49 am

This is pretty bull. How is it celebrating earth values if you’re encouraging people to use extra power to buy irrelevant movies. Maybe throw on something relevant to the cause like a special documentary focused on spreading awareness and knowledge about some of the f****n crap that’s happening around the world, deforestation, chemical dumps, f**** man, so I can download cloverfield? CLOVERFIELD?! Oh well, at least Sony ranks over Nintendo on this, or so I hear. I’m just sayin you can’t sell the solution. It’s not at all about throwing money at the problem. What else are you doing to spread awareness throughout the year? as a multinational company with so much reach, Sony, there’s a lot of responsibility on your side. What are YOUR policies surrounding sustainable production and research practices, and recycling? Would you make a blog post with some information/links on how and where to get informed?

Also, really excited for the E3 news coming up! Heavy Rain has me so incredibly intrigued.

SeanScythe said:

April 21st, 11:51 am

I don’t jump on band wagons full eco friendly morons. So anyone not falling for Al Snore’s global warming myth add me to your PSN as a friend I need more friends with common sense. Seanscythe

SeanScythe said:

April 21st, 11:59 am

@64

What a brainwashed Kool-aid drinker statement. Seriously you think humans are causing Global warming? You belive that fat people, cows and all the other lame brain reasons are causing it then? Not the big giant ball of fire in the sky that normal people like me call the sun? You think it’s Fat People and cows….. lets see which one sould more logical? Big Fire Ball or fat people and cows?

So if you are right that also means that cavemen cooking dinosaurs also caused the first Iceage since us burning fossil fuels seems to be causing global warming ir is it climate change now? I get so confussed they keep changing the name so often.

Enigma777 said:

April 21st, 12:00 pm

Lol, I saw a vid of that game from the JP PSN store…. those crazy japanese….

GordaoPreguicoso said:

April 21st, 12:00 pm

I plan on spending earth week driving my wife’s car around that gets a whopping 11 mpg (my SUV gets 16 so her’s wins). Then I plan to light my house up like the fourth of July so that I can celebrate human achievement week.

@64 No one mentioned anything about political parties. We just aren’t sheep that believe everything force fed to us by Al Gore. Go do research instead of watching a film based off of a slide show.

Slimmer_ said:

April 21st, 12:06 pm

Too bad Sony will not go out and Donate $10k on its OWN. They need to munipulate their Consumers just to make a Donation for themselves(Sony).

acmilanboy said:

April 21st, 12:16 pm

Cloverfield is awesome.

usjvc said:

April 21st, 12:46 pm

Earth day? Is this a joke?

boxmyth said:

April 21st, 12:48 pm

Gomibako YES. Full of win right there.
Can’t wait.

jayyy91 said:

April 21st, 12:48 pm

Video Store in Canada please.

HeadAcheJoe said:

April 21st, 12:50 pm

“becoming” adj.
1. Appropriate, suitable, or proper.
2. Pleasing or attractive to the eye.

“will be coming” v. future tense, passive voice
1. arriving at some time in the future

As for Earth Day, I’ve got nothing against trying to preserve the planet we all live on. I do, however, have a beef against undue panic and misspent effort in tilting the “global warming” windmill.

INTVGene said:

April 21st, 12:53 pm

Great news about Trash Panic! I was hoping for a NA release. Now where’s Dark Mist? ;)

BornToBeMild said:

April 21st, 12:56 pm

Better late than never.
Thanks,guys. :)

Thrasher20 said:

April 21st, 1:06 pm

LOL Trash Panic looks fun. Trophies? I want to contribute!

almighty-slayer said:

April 21st, 1:23 pm

@ SeanScythe and GordaoPreguicoso

I love you both. People with common sense :D Add me.

KSPRAYDAD said:

April 21st, 1:27 pm

Oh oh…more ignoring important questions…Jeff…where are you?

Dehshizknight said:

April 21st, 1:40 pm

Shoot, I seriously thought this was why PSN was gonna be down when I read this :p

Good thing it’s still up!

The_Punisher111 said:

April 21st, 1:41 pm

-_-
really dudes? Starting a fight on a f’in BLOG?!?!

Seriously, how lame are you guys? I got 3 words
GET A LIFE
You guys have no friends and yet people starting a fight on a blog.
How sad ………… really….

norm01 said:

April 21st, 1:50 pm

Yeah, somehow I don’t think this whole “green” trend is going to work for encouraging buying of software or video files.. the whole nature of using electronics to help “save the earth” seems.. contradictory.

WindedHero said:

April 21st, 1:50 pm

When is the store going to start selling HD stuff? I’m not paying for an HD rental.

mckg123456789 said:

April 21st, 1:53 pm

nice i might help out the planet, one anime at a time lol

lakaiHIGH said:

April 21st, 1:58 pm

now that i can back up purchased movies i think i’ll support a good cause and buy a few movies tomorrow! that and i hope theres a demo for trash panic. looks interesting.

thanks,
Lh

TwoPerfect said:

April 21st, 2:22 pm

“nn% will be donated to [organization] for every purchase” only really works for things that you need.

If you don’t need the item, you can just as easily donate more of your money to the said organization, and keep the rest :P

and as previously said, if you really want those movies, buy them somewhere else, cheaper, and donate what you saved :P

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

April 21st, 2:29 pm

Needs some ABC, CBS, Animal Planet, etc support

Needs more current seasons of shows (Ultimate Gamer, The Ultimate Fighter, Gangland, Mythbusters, etc)

Need store front for other movies studios (Weisntein, New Line, Dreamworks, etc) and TV Stations.

DRM need to be tied to the PSN not the machine.

ADR143 said:

April 21st, 2:51 pm

cool

serendipiddy said:

April 21st, 3:15 pm

I’m in new zealand, using the nz psn store.. will my purchases make a contribution to the earthday total..? if so, will i need to purchasse today (being 22nd here) or tomorow (22nd in USA)?
thanks in advance :)

serendipiddy said:

April 21st, 3:19 pm

..ok, so games won’t contibute.. only movies.. which we don’t have.. i’ll give them some of my own money.. ;)

doobist said:

April 21st, 3:54 pm

I would love to buy some downloadble games and support the cause, but the PSN never wants to accept my credit card and sony support doesn’t seem to want to help :( Oh well…

mainpatrg said:

April 21st, 3:58 pm

omg, i am soooo excited abbout getting Gomibako, i even jumped around at school, lmao, when is it coming SCEA?!!!

mainpatrg said:

April 21st, 3:59 pm

I also want to support the cause too:)

Dennie said:

April 21st, 4:22 pm

I’m going to buy some videos then…oh wait I can’t. I’m in Canada.

madhi19 said:

April 21st, 4:28 pm

Dennie got it right we really love to help but sorry no video store no donation!

XgargunoX said:

April 21st, 4:39 pm

this almost sounds like a good thing…atleast sony’s doing something unlike microsoft and nintendo

Lanmanna said:

April 21st, 5:14 pm

I think it is cool how everyone is going crazy with the whole green thing. But even if we all walked, never used electricity, etc the Earth would still change. A lot of people are getting frightened by all this.

I do think it is good to conserve, recycle, etc though.

royalflush5 said: