Overwatch

Apr 22

Apr 22

Celebrate Earth Day with New Trash Panic Screens and Details!

Josh Miller's Avatar Posted by Producer, Sony Computer Entertainment America

Trash Panic logo

Happy Earth Day 2009! I’m Josh Miller, the US Producer of the upcoming PS3 PSN downloadable exclusive, Trash Panic.

In celebration of Earth Day 2009, I wanted to talk to you about Trash Panic and give you the low-down on what to be excited about this Spring. As I’m sure you heard, we are giving new meaning to waste management with a brand new puzzle game that combines strategy and action with well…garbage. Here, players are tasked with having to compact as much garbage into a trash can before it overflows AND in the most eco-friendly way as much as possible!

Trash Panic definitely provides a new take on gaming while making players more aware of environmentally friendly ways to dispose of waste. Check it out:

Trash Panic screenshot 1

Trash Panic screenshot 4

Throughout each stage, random trash items will be delivered to players who will need to manipulate the speed and direction they fall using the DualShock 3 controller. The trash can will quickly reach full capacity unless the trash is broken down or dealt with by strategically using various elements given throughout each stage. Items will continue to be dropped until the player successfully compacts a certain number of items or ends up with an overflowing trash can. At the end of each stage, each player will be rated by how “eco-friendly” or “ego-friendly” each stage was completed. The more “eco-friendly,” the higher the rating.

Trash Panic screenshot 2 Trash Panic screenshot 3

And, with with a recording option embedded in the game, and the capability to send your video directly to YouTube via your PS3, Trash Panic also allows players to show off their gaming session and strategies with the rest of the world through one of the biggest social networking sites!

Continue to check back here for updates on Trash Panic! Happy Earth Day!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Craazy said:

April 22nd, 3:38 pm

Cool

Craazy said:

April 22nd, 3:39 pm

why no video btw?

dsigns209 said:

April 22nd, 3:43 pm

Nice, I take it we won’t be getting it for a day like Europe?

neorudemovement said:

April 22nd, 3:43 pm

there are videos floating around for it under the name gomibako.

this is a 1st hour purchase for me, cant wait.

Thrasher20 said:

April 22nd, 3:46 pm

YayayayaYYYYuUuUuUH!!!!! Will do! ;)

skynidas said:

April 22nd, 3:49 pm

Awesome, Im getting it….release date?

Josh Miller's Avatar

Josh Miller said:

April 22nd, 4:02 pm

End of May / early June

Neil said:

April 22nd, 3:52 pm

Thank the gods the gods are thankful. I cannot wait for this game.

whiskey_14 said:

April 22nd, 3:53 pm

wish I was trash :(

spatsnaz said:

April 22nd, 3:54 pm

Been waiting for a puzzle game like this. Day 1 buy!

Unknown_Hero said:

April 22nd, 3:55 pm

a video would really help represent the concept of this game…ill look into it :)

DeforMAKulizer said:

April 22nd, 3:56 pm

YES!!!! =D
I was hoping it gets a US release!!! =D
Local split screen, youtube upload, and trophies! Im sold!!! =D
Release date please! Doubting but hoping to be tomorrow!

AceNet2 said:

April 22nd, 3:57 pm

Looks interesting… How about a vid Josh?

almighty-slayer said:

April 22nd, 3:58 pm

This will increase the amount of rubbish on YouTube

…I’ll go get my coat shall i?

Looks good!

mcx said:

April 22nd, 4:00 pm

What would be cool is if a portion of the price went to some earth foundation cause. One good thing is the game doesn’t require packaging so it is helping keep packaging waste down. It looks like a cool game … considering buying.

LpSquall said:

April 22nd, 4:01 pm

“Don’t want to play solo? No problem. Trash Panic supports one to two players locally using a split screen to help solve the “Who’s got better game?” question. Online learderboards and trophies? Of course!”

Besides two player local play, this game needs to have online vs play as well. That will also solve the “Who’s got better game?” question.

Ftwrthtx said:

April 22nd, 4:03 pm

Will this title support remote play for the PSP?

Josh Miller's Avatar

Josh Miller said:

April 22nd, 4:04 pm

Unfortunately no.

Anubis80 said:

April 22nd, 4:07 pm

Basically its a wierder and harder version of tetris. Cool. I would consider getting it then.

Josh Miller's Avatar

Josh Miller said:

April 22nd, 4:20 pm

It\’s true this game may have some elements that look like Tetris (placing pieces & rotating pieces), but believe me it is very different than Tetris. Everything you do in Tetris is very structured. All the pieces are meant to fit together. In Trash Panic your playing field changes from moment to moment because the shattered trash breaks differently depending on how it is struck by other items. Not only do you have to think about the size and shape of the trash when placing it in the can, but you have to think of it\’s composition. Is the trash made of wood? Is it made of metal? Is it is hard to break down? Will I be able to break other trash on it? Is is flammable? These are all things you have to keep in mind when trying to keep all the trash in the can.

TRIX_BOL said:

April 22nd, 4:08 pm

This games looks enjoyable for those who don’t like to recycle. :)

Anyways it’s looking good so far, but is it going to have in-game XMB music?

JKC31 said:

April 22nd, 4:15 pm

Josh you produce not bad games, just not very fun games.

KazeEternal said:

April 22nd, 4:15 pm

ooo you guys should celebrate with a game that actually deals with save the planet and put it on the store…..hmmmmm

I KNOW!!!!

FINAL FANTASY VII

zOMG that game would be perfect and we could take it on the go.

Vengeful-Chaos said:

April 22nd, 4:19 pm

It looks like garbage.

Anubis80 said:

April 22nd, 4:24 pm

Well according to your statement to me earlier there

“Josh Miller replied on April 22, 2009 at 4:20 pm
It’s true this game may have some elements that look like Tetris (placing pieces & rotating pieces), but believe me it is very different than Tetris. Everything you do in Tetris is very structured. All the pieces are meant to fit together. In Trash Panic your playing field changes from moment to moment because the shattered trash breaks differently depending on how it is struck by other items. Not only do you have to think about the size and shape of the trash when placing it in the can, but you have to think of it’s composition. Is the trash made of wood? Is it made of metal? Is it is hard to break down? Will I be able to break other trash on it? Is is flammable? These are all things you have to keep in mind when trying to keep all the trash in the can.”

makes me want to get it now for sure. I cant wait for this. I love puzzle games. So hurry up! lol

dsigns209 said:

April 22nd, 4:24 pm

Price?

Trioptical said:

April 22nd, 4:27 pm

Yay! It’s coming out in the US.

Question: Trash collection and sorting is different in the US (no burnable, non-burnable trash categories). Is that aspect of the game being localized? Perhaps with explanations of the Japanese customs during load screens?

Can’t wait for this.

Josh Miller's Avatar

Josh Miller said:

April 22nd, 4:43 pm

If you mean being ecologically-friendly vs. being not ecologically-friendly. That is a main aspect of the game. The player can choose whether they want to be eco-friendly (keeping their trash in the can & desposing of it using bio-degradable balls to decompose trash) or be non eco-friendly (burning / blowing up trash causing a larger carbon footprint & allowing damaged trash to fall out of your can).

inveigle said:

April 22nd, 4:30 pm

Looks interesting, to say the least.

drownedphoniex said:

April 22nd, 4:33 pm

Looks interesting. I might buy it.

Also, Josh, what’s the company name of the developer who’s working it?

SOOPERGOOMAN187 said:

April 22nd, 4:37 pm

Why didn’t you release a Demo today? In Honor of Earth Day…

The1stMJC said:

April 22nd, 4:40 pm

This definitely needs a demo. This a game I need to test out either I will like it immediately or hate it instantly

Josh Miller's Avatar

Josh Miller said:

April 22nd, 4:45 pm

There will be a demo out shortly after the full game releases.

haran_elessar said:

April 22nd, 4:42 pm

I must say the game looks very fun to play and very well made. I’m definitely considering buying it. But…

I think it must be made clear that burning trash is one of the worst ways to dispose of trash. It isn’t eco-friendly at all. Burning trash emits nano-particles, specifically furans and dioxins which are very toxic and can cause cancer and other diseases on humans.

Also, compacting trash is an economic waste and it affects the environment too. We throw away thousands of stuff on a daily basis that can be used for other things. If we sorted out the trash in a more efficient manner we wouldn’t to extract as much prime materials from the environment.

Again, don’t take me wrong. The game looks super fun as a puzzle game…I love challenging puzzle game and this one seems challenging and fun. I’m strongly considering buying it…I’ve been following the game since it was released in Japan.

I just don’t want people to play this game and get the wrong message out of it. I don’t want people thinking that burning trash is great, because it isn’t.

anyway…if burning trash counts for ego-friendly then forget about that part of my message….keep up the good work!

Jackal888 said:

April 22nd, 4:46 pm

I was hoping we would get this game. This looks like a fun puzzle game. Do the trash cans change per level? Is there a dumpster level or a junkyard level?

Josh Miller's Avatar

Josh Miller said:

April 22nd, 4:51 pm

The scope of the trash cans and trash go up in size with every level. For example, on the first level the trash can is a normal-sized trash can you would see next to a desk. On the next level, the trash can is the size of a person. On the third level the trash can is the size of a build….and so on and so on.

Enigma777 said:

April 22nd, 4:50 pm

Hahaha, I dl’d the trailer form the Jap PSN store a while back and I gotta say, this is one crazy game

jqtaxpayer said:

April 22nd, 4:51 pm

Is there going to be a demo?

Marsz85 said:

April 22nd, 4:58 pm

I will get this game but my question is; why don’t most psn games support online play? Each and every psn game that is released has multiplay but its local, this should change, its the way of the future.

Calendaros said:

April 22nd, 5:07 pm

Why can’t SCEJ actually spend resources to develop RPGs, instead of games that no one cares about?

norm01 said:

April 22nd, 5:13 pm

I care about this game, JRPG’s, not so much anymore actually.

Blkant said:

April 22nd, 5:29 pm

Not to be a buzz kill but to support earth day shouldn’t this game separate paper and plastic? Also these electronic devices don’t look trash friendly, I would bet that you should have to go to a special place to properly dispose of them.

Just had to point that out :P

Midgetguy said:

April 22nd, 5:29 pm

This looks REALLY cool! At first I was skeptical, but after seeing a video that someone posted on here, I’ve decided that it looks VERY FUN!!!!

I can’t wait! And I will DEFINATELY purchase this game! :)

StalkingSilence said:

April 22nd, 5:40 pm

Demo after release – meh, woulda preferred it the other way around. but i love what you guys are doing with it. does it use a licensed physics engine or proprietary?

StalkingSilence said:

April 22nd, 5:43 pm

SIXAXIS controls mandatory or just using the buttons/analog sticks?

Josh Miller's Avatar

Josh Miller said:

April 23rd, 8:35 am

The only Sixaxis control is shaking the controller. When you do this, the trash can shakes and re-adjusts the trash in the can.

ynp7 said:

April 22nd, 5:53 pm

Can we please get some more games with ONLINE multiplayer? Split-screen is all good and well, for the few times most of us can actually get people together to play them, but that leaves the vast majority of our time that we can only play by ourselves or play something else.

Too many of these games are great multiplayer with a somewhat lacking singleplayer experience and I think I’m going to have to stop buying them until this changes. Too bad, because many of these games would be fantastic if only there were a way to more easily play with other people.

commedieu said:

April 22nd, 5:55 pm

trophies ;)

you’ve got my $

Berae said:

April 22nd, 6:04 pm

nice! it looks like a strategic tetris kinda, im gonna buy it

mafecto said:

April 22nd, 6:08 pm

looks good! nice work josh.

io7 said:

April 22nd, 6:36 pm

I will get this game for many reasons – I like puzzle games and I like my planet.
We are extremely wasteful creatures and we tread this earth as if it could recover quickly. FYI: that might have been true to some degree if you think 60 years ago (2,555,982,611 population) compared to now (ca. 6,840,423,256 population).
Within the past 60 years we almost increased the amount of humans on this earth by three. Our resources however are the same.
95% of what we buy ends up in the trash within 6 month. This trash needs to be dealt with. We need to not only be aware about the dangers and complications, but also start being LESS wasteful as we have been. Remember your grandparents? If you noticed they always used something for a long time and they valued theses things. We are a society of vast disposal and we do not value resourcefulness.

I salut the team who worked on this game. Thank you!

VixDiesel said:

April 22nd, 6:50 pm

Online modes please.

I’m getting this regardless but you dev’s need to realize games NEED online multiplayer.

iExile said:

April 22nd, 7:03 pm

I hear that Trash Panic (Gomibako in Japan) is “excruciatingly difficult” but that won’t stop me from buying the game. I’m hardcore! Plus, I love physics-based games. :)

liketoski said:

April 22nd, 7:04 pm

@ 20
I agree we want FFVII, but ya amazing game Josh I’m getting it for sure!

Slayer612 said:

April 22nd, 7:13 pm

Price?

iExile said:

April 22nd, 7:28 pm

@ Slayer612: I doubt Josh Miller knows the answer to that since I think Sony’s in charge of pricing.

lakaiHIGH said:

April 22nd, 7:32 pm

looks and sounds interesting… just gotta wait on the price. hopes this is nothing more than $7.99. that sounds about right.

peace,