Paragon

Jun 10

Jun 10

PSP Firmware (v5.51) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, Marketing & PlayStation Network

A new PSP firmware update, v5.51, will be released soon. System software stability during use of some features has been improved.

Add Your Own

BlooodyCow said:

June 11th, 6:29 am

Wow that was very informative. I learned a lot form this blog post about the newest PSP update

S-E-G said:

June 11th, 6:38 am

this blog is no community, nobody ever get’s there questions answered unless your really sucking up to what they post here, this blog is more for them to tell you about their exclusive content and when you should start forking out your cash for it, i wanna know in detail what i’m installing on my psp and what new features i will have, if there are any at all, and also is there a ps3 firmware coming soon? most of the time we have limited information on the firmware updates and we have to find the new features ourselves. come on sony wake up!!!

steve2k7 said:

June 11th, 6:48 am

Thanks for the update Eric, any update is better than none.

For the PS3, I’d really like to be able to play my own music in all my games, instead of having to wait for developers to patch them first. There are many developers that don’t really care about adding custom soundtrack support. It would be far easier if we could select our music from the XMB in all our games instead. If I have this feature, the PS3 will be the best console ever for me.

Zanei34 said:

June 11th, 6:49 am

quit giving us stability lol. we want more features for our psp’s. the last real update was like last year. give us a real update. thank you.

Tjoeb123 said:

June 11th, 7:07 am

@Wolf26pack

I would also like to see a sorting system for Game as well, mostly because I don’t want to see my game add-ons (which would mostly consist of RB music) mixed in with the other PSOne and PSN games I have.

Destiny89 said:

June 11th, 7:11 am

DEMAND CROSS-GAME CHAT FOR PS3!
COPY AND PASTE IF YOU WANT THEM TO STOP WASTING TIME ON USELESS CRAP LIKE THE PHOTO GALLERY!

BlooodyCow said:

June 11th, 7:15 am

DEMAND CROSS-GAME CHAT FOR PS3!

I am just supporting these guys cause.

darthmilo77 said:

June 11th, 7:16 am

Can’t wait to have to download this to use the PSstore…

XgargunoX said:

June 11th, 7:18 am

That’s it? What about PS3?

SeanScythe said:

June 11th, 7:21 am

DEMAND CROSS-GAME CHAT FOR PS3!

I hate having to stop playing infamous when a friend sends me a text. Why can’t I just voice chat?

XgargunoX said:

June 11th, 7:23 am

I agree with #40!!!!!!!!!!!

S-E-G said:

June 11th, 7:32 am

i’m thinking i should move to iphone for all my portable gaming and cool applications, how long has the psp been out now? all we got was internet radio and skype and other useless features. although i like skype, why aren’t we seeing more apps coming to psp and ps3? why isn’t there a psp app store or ps3 app store? why is it taking so long to get features? why are you making other psp hardware with the same crappy features? you guys seem more worried about your wallets then what your users want, it is getting ridiculous really, it’s not just about games any more for a device, it’s about features and options, can you please give us some information on what’s to come on all your devices, we still haven’t got any good info from E3 about what to expect in the near future from these devices, that’s all we’ve been getting so far is stability updates, how bout giving us some usability from now on!!!

Juben said:

June 11th, 7:37 am

Don’t need Cross-game chat and don’t want cross game chat would definitely piss me off playing a rpg or racer or mgs, and the games that i do use the chat already give me the ability to do so. Thank you call of duty and tekken.

Can we please fix the battery and clock issue and the ability to organize groups of friends (ex: racers friends’ fps friends, etc.)

SeanScythe said:

June 11th, 7:41 am

@109 just because you don’t think it would be nice doesn’t mean the majority of us feel the same way. If I’m playing demon’s souls I hate having to stop playing to reply with a 35 character text. I would rather keep playing while on my head set I can chat without stopping the game.

Letters2Kay said:

June 11th, 7:55 am

While you’re at it, how about, like, you know- a feature or two?

KSPRAYDAD said:

June 11th, 7:56 am

@108…

iPhone….$99 + $1000+ in data fees … and it is already not getting the newest stuff…for that you need the $199 + $1000 option.

OR

iPod Touch +$200 for glorified flash games and a $10 fee every time there is a firmware update and it too will be left behind as apple has already changed their hardware to specs the old hardware can’t support.

Aren’t you the same guy 6 mos ago that said he was abandoning the PS3?

mixedkidbx said:

June 11th, 8:03 am

updates are good.

icebearx said:

June 11th, 8:03 am

ATTENTION PLAYSTATION. I CANNNOT ACCESS MY ONLINE GAME UNTIL YOU RELEASE THIS UPDATE. MY PSP SAYS “A SYSTEM SOFTWARE UPDATE FOR THE PSP SYSTEM IS RQUIRED.” I HAVE VER 5.50 AND IT WONT LET ME USE MY GAME ONLINE OR ACCESS THE PLAYSTATION STORE..THANK YOU. PLEASE RELEASE IT FOR DOWNLOAD

Kamanashi said:

June 11th, 8:10 am

PSP updates are fine and all. But, most of them don’t add anything.

Also, I want a new PS3 update that adds software PS2 BC too all newer PS3 models. That would definitely help make people more willing to go to the PS3.

shdw09 said:

June 11th, 8:27 am

wow posted yesterday n it already out :)

sik94 said:

June 11th, 8:39 am

Thats weird..Coming soon? Yesterday i downloaded this because when i tried to enter the Playtastion store it said i had to download a new firmware update….so now i come in here to find out what the update is and it hasnt been released??
Can someone explain? It says i have version 5.51

Drake1416 said:

June 11th, 8:40 am

COPY AND PASTE IF YOU WANT PSP FLASH!!! MAKE SONY BRING FLASH PLAYER 10 TO THE PSP!!!!
DEMAND IT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@19 Feel sorry for you. =( But don’t feel to bad. This firmware was revolutionizing. At first I thought I was just disconnected =P…..=(

ott_nicholas said:

June 11th, 8:47 am

How about being able to go to Playstation Home?

ott_nicholas said:

June 11th, 8:50 am

icebearx,why not double checking re download the update?

maver1ck89 said:

June 11th, 9:01 am

Guys, why do you all feel so entitled to demand all this [DELETED] constantly? Sony didn’t ask for your input. It’s getting tedious. Nobody gives a damn about most of the stuff you’re asking for anyway. Especially the PS3 stuff because this is the comment section for a PSP firmware update. Just, you know, shut up.

POLYERGOS said:

June 11th, 9:10 am

I have the original LocationFree TV system. Can’t connect to it with the software that’s on the current PSP. Maybe they’ll update that one day for me!

eratyptin said:

June 11th, 9:17 am

Would be nice to know exactly what these types of patches are for…what exactly was unstable that was fixed? It can’t be that top secret…come on now…

terrasne00 said:

June 11th, 9:24 am

if sony make like ipod bussisnes 10 dollars for new firmware 1 per year

AllOrZer0 said:

June 11th, 9:26 am

Firmwares around again. Stability is important, but as so many others have mentioned, we should be expecting and receiving so much more from the R&D of this system.

PS3:
Cross-game chat
PARTNERSHIPS! Where’s Hulu, Skype, Facebook, Twitter, Sky.FM, etc?
Higher DivX/XviD support
Playlists for video
Internet Radio (Sky.FM should be on the XMB, as should that setup the PSP has)
RSS support (This would add a ton to the PS3)

PSP:
…more PSOne games to download?

ADR143 said:

June 11th, 9:31 am

me want ps3 update to!

katsuo7171 said:

June 11th, 9:39 am

Wow the comments I see here just show how lazy people have become. Something we need is cross game chat but everything else not so much.

Flash- just use your laptop which shouldn’t be too far away.

I think people are forgetting what playstation is. IT’S A GAMING SOURCE!!!!!! Software sability is needed. Christ what happened to the age group on this blog.

Hypsiphrone said:

June 11th, 10:09 am

It’s about time. The web browser crashes my ps3 all the time. Can you guys do anything about Hulu? It looks awful

RichardCo187 said:

June 11th, 10:28 am

YAASSSSS!!!! I’ve waited for it

icebearx said:

June 11th, 11:03 am

TO ALL YOU SPAMMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now to the not-so-fun part. We really hate to be a buzz kill, but some of this stuff needs to be said…

Any member found to be intentionally spamming our community will be immediately banned. Additionally, any member found to be intentionally spamming any other communities such as the Nintendo or Xbox Forums may also be subject to an immediate ban. This is really a zero tolerance policy. When you spam other communities, you put our community in jeopardy due to possible retaliation. There is no need for spamming. Just enjoy your system(s) of choice and let others enjoy theirs.

preston_lawton42 said:

June 11th, 11:15 am

Um, so I downloaded the new update last night and installed it this morning. Isn’t that great!!

preston_lawton42 said:

June 11th, 11:17 am

So what does the new update for anyway?

TEKZX said:

June 11th, 11:58 am

PS3 support for the latins . fix the credit card issue . i cant buy anything with my credit card. this is absurd.

sabadodistritofd said:

June 11th, 12:00 pm

psp version 5.51 is already out

illinnoise said:

June 11th, 12:16 pm

DEMAND IT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

illinnoise said:

June 11th, 12:19 pm

look it is simple the main up date that we all want for the PSP is ass fallow
1)access the PSN and chat with friends
2)view youtube
3)more visuals
4)and have trophy support(but i don’t think that will come till the psp2 but we will see )
now the PS3 don’t need much maybe Pandora but really RSS feed support would be nice and some more visuals would bee good also

StalkingSilence said:

June 11th, 12:24 pm

SOME FEATURES = more remote play stability to help during Remote Play with VidZone?

Wheels86 said:

June 11th, 12:25 pm

Thanks for the update guys and for those wondering what the update does?

System software stability during use of some features has been improved.

That is from wikipedia they have a list of every single update for both the PS3 and PSP

zombie9 said:

June 11th, 12:55 pm

System software stability during use of some features has been improved.

Why do they even post this? I do not understand? And what is not so stable on the PSP?

madnuks said:

June 11th, 1:00 pm

Maybe I upgrade only if the new update have:

– Capability to play flash on the webbrowser.
– Read text files .txt support. Another improvement would be to open web content (html), from files inside mem-stick.
My old K790a can read both (.txt and .html), Why the PSP can’t?

LordChocoSlime said:

June 11th, 1:07 pm

Another one of those “improve stability” Firmware updates. I wish that SCEA was a bit more specific on the nature of these types of updates.

Angel_mass said:

June 11th, 1:54 pm

And the whole world Gasp!

EmeraldFlame said:

June 11th, 1:55 pm

So by “system stability” you mean, because the hackers, namely dark-alex and his crew, figured out how to start chickHEN on the 3000 series and on the 5.50 firmware which allows limited use of homebrew which leads to pirating, we are releasing a new firmware to stop people from doing this, so mainly it just wastes your time and ours.

Zoddan269 said:

June 11th, 2:11 pm

Sony needs to make sure these updates they keep sending out are working. They rush them then when they fail they deny any problems with the updates, like the 2.76 update for Ps3 that has caused lock up problems with 1st gen 80gb units

drepsx3 said:

June 11th, 4:34 pm

Hey Eric or Sony PSB is a friends List Possible on the PSP??

dragoncomics said:

June 11th, 6:11 pm

hello everyone I have a question how can I go to movies and TV series on my psp(in the playstation store)? entered and can not find it. if someone could tell me how I can access it would be very grateful.