Paragon

Jun 15

Jun 15

Steambot Chronicles Battle Tournament PSP – Stomping Your Way to Victory

Mike Meeker's Avatar Posted by Lead Editor, Atlus USA

Hello, all you PlayStation Blog readers! They call me Mike Meeker (because that’s my name), and I have the distinct honor of being the Lead Editor for Steambot Chronicles Battle Tournament, a fun-fueled PSP action-adventure brought to you by the fine folks at Atlus. The people running the PlayStation Blog have been kind enough to let us toot our own horns, so now’s my chance to tell you all about this game. Well, not all about it, because we want to leave some mysteries for you folks to discover

Steambot PSP 1

This poor chump must have loaded up on MISSiles.

Take a trip back in time, to a simpler era where people lived in friendly communities, the Industrial Revolution was in full bloom, and people rode about town in those new-fangled two-legged Trotmobiles. That’s right. The automobile is still around, but the walking Trotmobile is much more popular, especially in Orion City, where the game takes place. Incidentally, that’s also where the nation’s largest Trot company is headquartered, and the Orion City Trotmobile Battle Tournament decides who’s the best Trot driver in the land.

At the start of the game, you’re out to make a name for yourself as an up-and-coming Trotmobile driver, with an antiquated machine and no respect. Luckily, you’ll earn the friendship of a mechanic named Venus, and the two of you will take on all comers in your quest for championship. Of course, if the game was all about gladiatorial combat, it would get a little dull. You’ll get a lot of say in how your character acts, and your responses might have an impact on what happens later… But I recommend going with your gut, because I and fellow editor Clayton Chan had a lot of fun writing all these lines, along with the other characters’ reactions. (The fact that the majority of the hilarity is voiced only adds to the majesty.)

Steambot PSP 2

Seriously, haven’t you ever wanted to say this to some irritating optimist at one time or another?

Back in the driver’s seat, you’ll find loads and loads of customization waiting for you in the shop. You’ll have a wide variety of parts and accessories to choose from when kitting out your Trotmobile, and some will give you an edge in combat while others will allow you to do the jobs you’ll be undertaking all over the city. You’re not alone in the tournament, though, and you’ll be facing a veritable menagerie of Trotmobile riders, designs and equipment loadouts in the ring.

Steambot PSP 3

How tough could this guy be? I bet he’s got a day job where he sits behind a computer all day.

You won’t have access to all the good stuff right from the start, of course, but that’s what the jobs are for. When you’re not fighting for the amusement of the crowd or exploring the wilderness, you can climb out of your vehicle to take on jobs all across the city and the surrounding areas, from simple deliveries to demolition work to ghost hunting and celebrity reporting. Take your earnings and put them into buying better parts for your Trotmobile, or else you’ll be caught unprepared for the challenges ahead, and even worse, people with questionable fashion taste will make fun of you:

Steambot PSP 4

Harsh! Are you just gonna that that guff? It’s even harsher when you hear it voiced. Some of our QA testers cried.

So, you’ve got turn-of-the century (the 20th century, you history sticklers) mechs stomping around, kooky characters, personal freedom, vehicle customization, and the ability to take part in a grand tradition of furious gladiator combat. (You’re a winner!) What more could you want? You probably want some multiplayer action, with up to 4 players or something. Well, fine! It’s in there like swimwear! You can even play with 4 players using a single copy of the game! Now what more could you want?

Personally, all I want is to make you aware of this game, and if I have to make my Trotmobile ride the Space Shuttle up into orbit and surf back down to Earth on a piece of the Space Station, I’ll do just that.

Steambot PSP 5

…No, Sammy, that’s not a real move. But that would be wicked awesome. Look for Steambot Chronicles Battle Tournament to hit on June 30th!

Add Your Own

Delriach said:

June 15th, 10:04 am

Nothing beats calling someone an idiot :D

Joeseppi said:

June 15th, 10:06 am

awesome, loved the steambot chronicles games for the ps2, will be grabbing this one! looks like a winnar!

BlooodyCow said:

June 15th, 10:08 am

Wait, wasn’t this game in development for the PS3 back at the Tokyo Gameshow 2006?
Ah…here is the link
*http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/958239
Please remove the “*” when copying the link.

So what happen? Is there still a PS3 version or did you guys cancel the PS3 version for the PSP version?

k1s3k1 said:

June 15th, 10:15 am

just wondering, is there any update on Bumpy Trot 2/Steambot Chronicles 2 for PS3?

The official Japanese site is http://www.bumpytrot.com/bt2/index.html but havent heard any updates on it :(

Silent_Gig said:

June 15th, 10:19 am

YES! YES! YES! Ive been waiting for this game for a long time.

Now please make me more excited by saying your going to release this in the UK please please!

zombie9 said:

June 15th, 10:21 am

on UMD or download only? And The new PSP GO has me all confussed?

nokedimyo said:

June 15th, 10:22 am

Seems interesting. Hopefully there will be a demo. Unfortunately, there don’t seem to be many psp demos in the US.

depward said:

June 15th, 10:23 am

Looking forward to this. Enjoyed Steambot Chronicles on the PS2. But I have three questions:

1) MRSP of $40? Really?

2) Any Atlus Spoils? :p

3) Will you be releasing this digitally on PSN?

mafia28 said:

June 15th, 10:28 am

I really love the first Steamboat game and cant wait for this one and eventually Steamboat 2.

One qustion Mike, will this be available for the PSP G0?

Thanks

Jon_Mclane said:

June 15th, 10:41 am

Afro Bandit, coolest character in an atlus game since Funky Student

ManaKnight said:

June 15th, 10:42 am

Awesome, I’m very happy ATLUS continues to bring IREM games stateside. I thought Steambot Chronicles on PS2 was great, so I’m looking forward to this.

I hope Steambot Chronicles 2 finishes on PS3 sometime so ATLUS can bring that stateside. ;)

In other news, has ATLUS considered Spelunker for PSN (an IREM developed game), and I wish I bought Crimson Gem Saga before since I’m struggling to find it. :(

lowhonor said:

June 15th, 10:46 am

hmmm…im not familiar with this series…is it any good?

mafia28 said:

June 15th, 10:51 am

O and one more question, do you get to choose your gender in this game?

Midgetguy said:

June 15th, 11:01 am

lol

This post was hilarious! (In a good way!) The captions were great! :D

Thanks for this entertaining post Mike! And, I’ll definately have to check out this game, it looks… interesting to say the least! :P

Jeigh said:

June 15th, 11:14 am

Heheheh. QA testers cried. I wasn’t actually going to pay this post any attention until I saw the name “Atlus.” I’ve been quite happy with a number of the things I’ve seen from you guys lately. And I have been looking for something new for my PSP (now that I’ve finally finished Jeanne d’Arc and Valkyrie Profile). Consider me sold. :)

Poopookakabumbum said:

June 15th, 11:24 am

Any chance of Atlus bringing the PS3 sequel over to North America? (please?)

EatDeath said:

June 15th, 11:31 am

Its nice that it is voiced too. I will definitely have to check this out more, when they release videos or trailers.

Jetup said:

June 15th, 11:35 am

Will this be on the PS Store?

Skoltnik said:

June 15th, 11:47 am

This game looks awesome

emiru69 said:

June 15th, 1:24 pm

Looks interesting but will be in the PS Store? and… when?

PullusPardusUS said:

June 15th, 2:50 pm

the real question is , are you guys going to release Steambot Chronicles 2 ? , we playstation fans drool at anything RPG-ish and me myself love IREM (big fan of Disaster Report!)

thanks for this btw ^^ going to buy it ASAP :]

PullusPardusUS said:

June 15th, 3:06 pm

oh btw ATLUS!! <33333333333
we love you for bringing all the goodness!

SuperSonic1305 said:

June 15th, 3:42 pm

Preordered last week.

Mike Meeker's Avatar

Mike Meeker said:

June 15th, 5:03 pm

Okay, let’s see if I can answer some of these.

#3, 4, others: As far as I’m aware, Irem’s still hard at work on developing the PS3 game, Bumpy Trot 2. Don’t let that forestall any excitement over the PSP game, though.

#5: Atlus USA doesn’t have a foothold into the European market yet. I could have sworn that the first Steambot Chronicles was released in the EU region, so perhaps you could ask whoever published it there to get this one, too. On the other hand, the PSP isn’t exactly region-locked…

#6, et al: UMD all the way, my friend. There aren’t any plans for a downloadable version at this time, so new adopters to the PSP Go will be Steambot-less. Let us pity them, but not much because they’ll have a new PSP to play with.

#10: Fro’ sho’, brutha.

#13: Yep, you do get to choose between male and female avatars. And it affects the dialogue in lots of places, too.

Thanks to everybody for the positive support!

Souledge94 said:

June 15th, 9:19 pm

Ok I have a question and please answer. Do you make your character or are you forced into a female role?

Mike Meeker's Avatar

Clayton Chan said:

June 19th, 10:50 am

You are not forced into a female role. You can be a dude if you want…STEAMBOT CHRONICLES! You can also change the name of your hero/trotmobile. We\’re all about options.

BlooodyCow said:

June 15th, 10:40 pm

@Mike Meeker
Well as long as the PS3 version is not cancel I am good. Hell I will show some good spirit and buy the this game just for the sake of it.

Mike Meeker's Avatar

Clayton Chan said:

June 19th, 10:47 am

That\’s the spirit! EPIC 360 DEGREE WINDMILL HIGH FIVE!

Thrasher20 said:

June 15th, 11:23 pm

I like the way it looks!

Mike Meeker's Avatar

Clayton Chan said:

June 19th, 10:46 am

We like the way you look, too! Keep in touch! Have a great summer!

mrkapawutzis said:

June 15th, 11:56 pm

Three words, five syllables and numerous letters: ATLUS SPOILS PLEEEEEEASSSE!!

Souledge94 said:

June 16th, 5:23 am

NVM question was answered. PSP and PS3 is making me poor.

Mike Meeker's Avatar

Clayton Chan said:

June 19th, 10:51 am

Well, you\’ll be rich with awesome video game content! True riches stem from you being happy, anyway.

Souledge94 said:

June 28th, 5:17 pm

Why no gameplay footage. Pics are fine and all but i want motion dang it.