Overwatch

Jun 16

Jun 16

Meet Nathan Drake: Uncharted 2’s Nolan North

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

It’s very unusual to meet someone you feel like you already know. I got that chance a couple of weeks ago, when I ran into Nolan North at the PlayStation Booth during the final hours of E3. If the name’s not familiar (or his face), perhaps his voice will – North is the talent behind the witty remarks of Uncharted‘s Nathan Drake.

Now North is a bit of a talker, but if you’ve got a few minutes, he’s got some interesting insights on the role of actual acting in video games, and how Naughty Dog gets such great results out of their voiceover stars for the Uncharted series.

Next up: An interview with the ladies of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

Add Your Own

ordaga said:

June 17th, 3:54 am

Haha, did anyone notice Jeff’s cool tshirt? I wonder what’s the trophy :P

Silent_Gig said:

June 17th, 4:05 am

Man you can totally see all those people being characters in a live action movie

Onna76_NL said:

June 17th, 5:30 am

Nearly as cute as Nathan *lol*. His voice is awesome, he also did the voice over of the Prince in the latest Prince of Persia game.

Paranoimia said:

June 17th, 5:32 am

For a movie, how about Nathan Fillion plays the character for ‘the look’, and they dub it with Nolan North’s voice? ;-p

Cesarcsrf said:

June 17th, 5:34 am

nice interview , the end was awesome xD

jqtaxpayer said:

June 17th, 6:08 am

I didn’t think he was a good fit for Prince of Persia, but he nailed the Nathan Drake role in a big way… game wouldn’t have been the same without him.

DonnyG said:

June 17th, 6:10 am

very cool

bigdaddyjane said:

June 17th, 6:13 am

I loved the ending.

SPARDA said:

June 17th, 6:14 am

Great interview. Nice to see the real actors behind the Uncharted characters.

Thanks

SPARDA

macbelonwu10 said:

June 17th, 6:38 am

Brilliant interview day one buy for sure!!!

SOOPERGOOMAN187 said:

June 17th, 6:41 am

Chloe’s voice actor is from a very popular long running TV series; STARGATE. I watched that show all the time and in the CO OP mode of the beta I knew I recognized the voice. Oh and I’ll be Nathan Drake in the Big Screen Adaptation. But honestly Hugh Jackman would be my Number One choice if Nolan doesn’t take the role.

IONHAWK said:

June 17th, 6:43 am

Props to #1 and #13 for thinking of Nathan Fillion for a movie version – he would be perfect as Drake! Browncoats unite!! :D

Shishimo9000 said:

June 17th, 7:09 am

As awesome as i think an Uncharted movie would be, i must say having the original voice actors play there roles might not be such a good job, not saying they would do a bad job, they are all great actors/actresses but the fans expectations would be so absurdly high they would never hit the mark ^_^ just saying

nv_Los said:

June 17th, 7:49 am

Nolan North is now one of my favorite voice actors along with David Hayter(MGS), great interview!!

Zero86-Sk said:

June 17th, 7:57 am

Jeff whats written on your shirt

i know its some trophy thing?

Big_Hawk97 said:

June 17th, 8:05 am

He kinda looks like a less handsome Drake. Can’t wait for this to release.

Tman_Slice said:

June 17th, 8:14 am

Great interview! Nolan delivers for the Uncharted Series.

PrairieGhost said:

June 17th, 8:17 am

No… Just make it a animated movie and use actual voice actors from the game. That’s the way you make a video game movie!

mywhitenoise said:

June 17th, 8:50 am

Nolan, you are an awesome, awesome man!
But if you guys ever did an Uncharted film, you guys need to cast Nathan Filian. That man was born to play Drake.

DaftMav said:

June 17th, 9:03 am

I’d vote for Nathan Fillion too, he looks like Drake and has the same kind of humor.

zero914 said:

June 17th, 9:05 am

was this recorded near the nintendo booth? i could swear i heard nintendo related music halfway in the vid. anyway this was an interesting vid. thanks for the regular updates ps blog! :D

jqtaxpayer said:

June 17th, 9:09 am

I wanted to add, to Mr. Fillion’s credit, that my comment about him being a poor fit had more to do with Ubisoft’s questionable script / character development decisions than the quality of the voice work. I just thought the Prince ended up being too much like Disney’s Aladdin, which was a writing decision and doesn’t reflect on Mr. Fillion’s top-notch voice work.

poweredbyzen said:

June 17th, 9:16 am

oh, that just ruins my idea of nathan drake in real life. pffft!

mywhitenoise said:

June 17th, 9:18 am

@122
you’re confusing Fillion with Nolan North…hehe, it’s okay. It’s obvious they used Nathan Fillion as an inspiration for Nathan Drake, “Firefly” and “Uncharted” even share the same composer!

wanethemane93 said:

June 17th, 10:00 am

Seems like a really cool dude and he really brings the the character of nathan Drake to life. And i remember watching the bts stuff on the first uncharted disc and its cool that they do voice and mo-cap. Can’t wait to see the interview with the beautiful Emily Rose and Claudia Black tomorrow. Want to know more about the Chloe character cause Elena is my favorite but im sure im going to like Chloe too.

wanethemane93 said:

June 17th, 10:00 am

Was richard McGonagle at e3 if not is there anyway you can do an interview with him later Jeff. Gotta show Sully some love.

Thwip said:

June 17th, 10:14 am

That was hands down the best interview/video I have seen on the Blog…loved it! And this is a little hard for me to write after the whole “I am not defined by my hangers on!” thing.

LN_MEXWARRIOR said:

June 17th, 10:23 am

Great interview Jeff! I love the blog!

Sindred said:

June 17th, 10:27 am

Hehehe, it’s so strange hearing that voice be so modest :)

SirTrigalot said:

June 17th, 10:32 am

he was classic in Hulk VS as Dead Pool – “Strike a pose!” favorite line

Atomika14 said:

June 17th, 10:48 am

Please do an interview with Richard McGonagle!

Nynja said:

June 17th, 10:53 am

Great interview and perfect length. Good questions and nice job all around Jeff.

IronChefWong said:

June 17th, 11:15 am

Hey Jeff,
I won a Uncharted 2 schwag bag. What exactly is in it? Or is it a surprise?

mywhitenoise said:

June 17th, 11:42 am

“North would have to play Nathan. Plain and simple. You can’t change the voice and mannerisms then expect the quality to hold up to the original game or improve.”

People who keep saying this haven’t seen “Firefly” or Nathan Fillion. It’s so obvious the creators based NATHAN Drake on Nathan Fillion.

almighty-slayer said:

June 17th, 11:52 am

I want your shirt Jeffy

Great interview, this guy is awesome :)

DTS_MAN said:

June 17th, 12:15 pm

This man has to be in the movie…he can obviously act so let him,how cool would it be to have the actual guy from the game in the film……seriously listen scene 1 of film….he sitting there playing Uncharted on big screen….as he puts the controller down he says something funny…like…man that guy realy is funny….or something.

I WANT THIS GAME…

spacesuit501 said:

June 17th, 12:41 pm

Hey, you know the guy interviewing Nathan Drake’s actor? I want his t-shirt right now!!!

loadstone007 said:

June 17th, 12:51 pm

Great interview Jeff. I really like the lengthy interviews… You can even post them with a few extra minutes, I won’t mind :)
Keep ’em coming!

bushisprez said:

June 17th, 2:12 pm

it’s deadpool from Hulk vs.

Chrysus said:

June 17th, 2:14 pm

He was a voice on MGS4? How did I miss that? Warrants a re-play to see which generic character he is.

spunnups said:

June 17th, 2:40 pm

That was great, I love behind the scenes stuff like this.

plaztiksyke said:

June 17th, 2:50 pm

It’s awesome to see that the beta supports LPCM 5.1 and 7.1, as well as DTS. Will LPCM 5.1 give 24-bit audio? If not, which option does give 24-bit audio? What are the native assets stored on the disk?

Thanks!

Heavenly_king said:

June 17th, 3:11 pm

Nolan North MUST play as Nathan if there is a movie of UNCHARTED.

NOLAN NORTH IS NATHAN DRAKE. Just looks how he acts; he fits perfectly the role of the Nathan. Although I think he should go to gym before acting in the movie. lol

Heavenly_king said:

June 17th, 3:13 pm

NOLAN NORTH IS NATHAN DRAKE. Just looks how he acts; he fits perfectly the role of Nathan. Although I think he should go to gym before filming the movie.

Heavenly_king said:

June 17th, 3:14 pm

GO UNCHARTED!!

Heavenly_king said:

June 17th, 3:15 pm

I WANT THIS GAME and….

LEGEND OF DRAGOON 2 PLASE SONY!!!!!!

JaKhris said:

June 17th, 4:23 pm

Hey,

Great interview. I really love Nolan’s work. He gives that awesome thing to the game no one else could. He really IS Nathan Drake.
He is a really good actor and I’d love to make the same job as him…

I’m really looking forward to playing Uncharted 2. Not only Nolan, but all the actors just play marvelously in this game (at least for what I’ve seen so far) and I think were in for a big treat this year with Among Thieves. :)

Oh, and Nolan North + Half-tuck shirt = Nathan Drake movie.

You guys rock!

Chris

Lawr- said:

June 17th, 8:49 pm

A great pair of interviews, Jeff. You really let them talk and address the fans, very much appreciated.

Another vote for Nathan Fillion (completing the Nolan-Nate-Nathan connection) or a film version, though Chris Pine would be a pretty good choice as well.

Lawr- said:

June 17th, 8:51 pm

what kind of trophy does it say you unlocked on your t-shirt?

ShadowPelican said:

June 17th, 10:00 pm

Uncharted is the coolest new IP for Sony this gen.