PlayStation VR

Jun 22

Jun 22

Inside Tekken 6’s New Campaign Mode

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

Ever since the early 90s, I’ve been hoping for a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup-esque combination of fighting and beat’em ups (“You got Streets of Rage in my Street Fighter!”). A number of games have tried this formula (including Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero and God Hand), but at E3, something caught my eye. We were showing a number of trailers at the PlayStation booth, when I spied Jin Kazama wielding a chain gun. What?

Later on, I was able to chat on camera with Tekken 6 game director Katsuhiro Harada. He was happy to share details on this Scenario Campaign Mode’s length, character customization, and online play.

For more updates on Tekken 6, this is the guy you want to follow on Twitter. Bob, you should be following *us*.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

ssp_619 said:

June 22nd, 1:04 pm

1ST

Delriach said:

June 22nd, 1:05 pm

Tekken 6 FTW?

crazypeng1 said:

June 22nd, 1:08 pm

interesting, i hope it doesn’t get weighed down by the 360 release though…

Delriach said:

June 22nd, 1:09 pm

btw, good questions Jeff.

asop89 said:

June 22nd, 1:14 pm

Nice addition for the game, just read at IGN about the official release date,can’t wait for it.

Is the PSP version coming at the same date of the PS3 version or at a different date?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

June 22nd, 1:21 pm

They\’re targeting this Fall. PS3 hits October 27, so looks like all in the same ballpark.

Alex_Assassin_08 said:

June 22nd, 1:14 pm

hmm…interesting

trapper12 said:

June 22nd, 1:14 pm

Looks great. Hey Jeff,

Which fighter are you into mostly, Street Fighter or Tekken?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

June 22nd, 1:19 pm

I go through phases – I was early in college when Tekken 2 came out, and that\’s all I played for *years*. But I\’m really, really into SFIV. With BlazBlue, KOFXII, it\’s a good time to time to be a fighting game fan.

BlooodyCow said:

June 22nd, 1:16 pm

Tekken >>> Street Fighter

IronChefWong said:

June 22nd, 1:16 pm

Wow either you’re really tall Jeff, or that guys is pretty short. Or maybe a combination of both. You look like a giant!

StalkingSilence said:

June 22nd, 1:24 pm

Tekken Tag Tournament with a multitap on PS2 got me through some boring Sundays at college way back.

SPARDA said:

June 22nd, 1:25 pm

This new mode looks like fun.

Jeff, do you know if the PS3 version would be getting any extras (when compared to the 360’s)?

SyphonFilter- said:

June 22nd, 1:29 pm

Don’t care for that mode, I’m getting it for the regular fighting.

Cerberus_Hunter said:

June 22nd, 1:32 pm

The extra mode thing whatever its called doesn’t look very interesting…seems like thrown in there at the very last minute.

I’ll wait for what reviewers have to say before buying.

SyphonFilter- said:

June 22nd, 1:35 pm

Jeff did you get an interview for Modern Warfare 2?

TakiFuGu said:

June 22nd, 1:37 pm

Street Fighter IV > Virtua Fighter > Tekken

I’m not really excited for Tekken.

Sponge-worthy said:

June 22nd, 1:38 pm

Hey Jeff,

Did you try to sell Mr. Harada on a tag fighting mode? Given the size and scope of the character roster, it would be a sensible addition.

KazeEternal said:

June 22nd, 1:39 pm

@Jeff
Didn’t know you played Tekken Jeff… Do you play Tekken 5 DRO? I’m always looking for opponents, I expect at least one match ^^.

I’m still iffy on BlazeBlue Probably just hold onto my money for Uncharted 2 and wait for Tekken 6.

tomsau said:

June 22nd, 1:44 pm

hmm, i actually liked the extra modes in tekken 3
so i quite like this little edition :)
its not as if it’ll detract from the game if you don’t like it
there’s still masses of meat :O

Ackers11 said:

June 22nd, 1:53 pm

did i just see law! im happy now.

spunnups said:

June 22nd, 1:56 pm

I’m still not sold on this game. Like you said Jeff, Tekken 2 is still one of my favorite fighters of all time, but I don’t feel as if they are taking this game in the right direction.

The campaign is never very good and always feels tacked on. Guns in Tekken just don’t seem right and look very last gen as far as gameplay. These guys have a lot to prove IMO to get me to take a second look at this game at all. There’s just way too many other games I’d rather play in Fall 2009.

almighty-slayer said:

June 22nd, 1:58 pm

More fantastic interviews featuring the sexy man known as Jeff

Sorry :) Hahaha

bball230 said:

June 22nd, 1:59 pm

@ jeff
good interview! was the dev.. translating someone else? because i could have sworn i hear someone talking in Japanese? lol

Cant wait for this game.

PS: Jeff have u recently added a guy named ericsacct to your psn list?

^^ PLEASE RESPOND :)))))

Nynja said:

June 22nd, 2:00 pm

I’ve sorta lost interest in Tekken after playing VF5. The combat system feels deeper in VF… thought I would never say that.

IIIKAGEIII said:

June 22nd, 2:00 pm

do i need to say that this is day one.. or is that a given?

10 hours i hope that is because it is long and not because it is bloody hard like tekken 4

thegamer154 said:

June 22nd, 2:01 pm

Is there anyway you can ask the dev team of this game, that if you have both PSP and PS3 version, will there be any unlockables when you sync both of the games together? For example, if you have AC: Bloodlines (PSP) and sync it up with AC2 for PS3, then you get to unlock about 6 new weapons, addition to the 30 which already are in AC2 (total of 36 when synced with PSP game). I can’t wait to play this game and thanks a lot Jeff. That’s all for me.

AntDaGamer said:

June 22nd, 2:04 pm

Yes I wasn’t that interested in Tekken 6 until I noticed this mode in the E3 trailer. It looks like a worthy buy.

PlasmaGlory said:

June 22nd, 2:12 pm

Is there local co-op too, or just online?

PirateThom said:

June 22nd, 2:19 pm

I wish they’d bring ball mode and bowling back to Tekken.

roseofmayix said:

June 22nd, 2:21 pm

Considering how crappy Devil Within was its hard to get excited about this new mode. =\

Since the trailer doesn’t say, I’m going to assume this is on teh 360 and ps3 versions of the game.

roseofmayix said:

June 22nd, 2:22 pm

@28 Yes, Tekken Bowling. Everyone loved bowling. They should really start throwing it back in the games.

big-gunns said:

June 22nd, 2:34 pm

Ahh good ol’ Tekken. I still remember when I first popped in Tekken for the original PlayStation. Tekken 6 looks interesting. This new campaign mode with online co-op makes it even more intriguing. Need to keep my eye on this one.

Jeigh said:

June 22nd, 2:35 pm

C’mon, Jeff! You saw the “1st” post yourself. Used to be that those were destroyed with extreme prejudice. It’s getting ridiculous.

I love the Streets of Rage-ness of this new mode, but I’m not entirely sure I’m sold on this. I certainly can’t stand fighting games and I’m betting that’s a fairly big part of the game. We’ll see how this plays out.

Jenovah said:

June 22nd, 2:35 pm

Any chance of this being a full Digital Download like Dark Resurrection was? Would love to have this on my HD.

ADR143 said:

June 22nd, 2:41 pm

love tekken series!

im excited on this one!

DTXSFC said:

June 22nd, 2:52 pm

OMG!! Tekken 6 new campaign mode is the biggest mistake they ever made. I wouldn’t even compare it to Streets of Rage because it’s so crappy. I’ll pass on this one and stick to Tekken 5 & SFIV. Come on you seen other fighting games in the past go that route and screwed up as well so why would they put the mode in the game. Jeff I can’t believe you went through the torture of watching that exclusive accident. You live and learn.

EmperorKorea said:

June 22nd, 2:54 pm

it’s about freakin time. it’s been 2 years since tekken 6 hit the arcades.

gamekoning said:

June 22nd, 2:56 pm

jeff did you understand what that guy said? he whas speaking japanees right?

tekken 3 whas the best tekken!!! for the ps2 or ps1 i forgot oow nvm

this campaign mode inst new i think because in other tekkens u had to do campaign mode to unluck other fighters right??

wohooo tekken 6 i whas checking some news for it for a long time the website is cool

Incubuster said:

June 22nd, 3:00 pm

Errr this doesn’t looks too hot, I didn’t see anything that made me want to think this isn’t Dynasty Warriors. Bleh.

JTrocks9 said:

June 22nd, 3:09 pm

The new mode looks awesome. Chainguns FTW.
Although this game would look better if it had a special guest character similar to how we have Kratos appearing in SoulCalibur Broken Destiny.

Maybe Cole McGrath from inFAMOUS, perhaps?

jBat17 said:

June 22nd, 3:18 pm

that looks boring.. i already played this crappy, repetitive, mindless beat up em before. it was called tekken force back in the day and it was not even fun

character customization gets old fast — just like in SC4

namco should focus their resources in making sure that online is not as laggy as T5DR and SC4

Tommy-Cronin said:

June 22nd, 3:18 pm

Jeff you should of seen him at the end of the video, its like he was restraining himself to say “Also on Xbox”, like he was ashamed to say it. lol

Andrefpvs said:

June 22nd, 3:18 pm

@22

I see what you did there, I really did ;)

Berae said:

June 22nd, 3:27 pm

I never liked this serie, its too slow but its awesome for tekken fans

Phoenix2088 said:

June 22nd, 3:38 pm

There’s a Panasonic TV in the background! Where the Sony?!

Tommy-Cronin said:

June 22nd, 3:42 pm

@Phoenix

Good one, lol

WU-Tang4Ever said:

June 22nd, 3:46 pm

quick question, is the co-op campaign mode playable offline with two players or is it purely online?

Wild_Man_X said:

June 22nd, 4:05 pm

Chicken!

triple_lei said:

June 22nd, 4:10 pm

I gotta get me one of those high-end PS3 joysticks… Hori stick moddable and all that…

JuanDHexen said:

June 22nd, 4:15 pm

I see no need in getting this since I already have Tekken 5 so why bother getting Tekken 5 HD.Don’t these guys know how to evolve a game(like SF4)this looks very outdated.

sNsKid said:

June 22nd, 4:16 pm

I think the co-op campaign mode is only playable online. It’s not like 2 people can be signed in at once on a single console.

PAGE 1 2