PlayStation VR

Jun 23

Jun 23

PS3 Firmware (v2.80) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Hello, I just wanted to provide everyone with a head’s up that the next PLAYSTATION 3 system software update (v2.80) will be coming soon. The playback quality of some PLAYSTATION 3 format software has been improved.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 11 12 13 14

Devindboy said:

June 25th, 10:23 pm

When are we going to be able to play music during gameplay like Xbox 360. I was talking to my friends and they said that xbox 360 was greater than ps3 because of this problem.

*please reply to my email at [DELETED] *

FamedRolemodel said:

June 26th, 1:18 am

I want an update that will support IM Messengers..

WordplayNy said:

June 26th, 2:28 am

OK ITS ABOUT MAKING MONEY RIGHT AND TO MAKE MONEY YOU HAVE TO BETTER THAN XBOX AND WII, RIGHT NOW PS3 IS BETTER THAN WII BUT NOT XBOX I LOVE SONY BUT WE ARE JUST NOT, THEY TOOK ALL OUR EXCLUSIVE GAMES, THE HAVE NATAL COMMING OUT, HOW ABOUT THIS FIX HOME IT TAKE 15 MINS TO START WHY? NO GOOD GAMES THAT YOU CAN PLAY WITH YOU AVATAR BUT POKER, AGAIN WHY IS IT SO SLOW, I LOVE HOME BUT THERE IS NOTHING TO DO, POKER HAS 4 TABLES, ENABLE VOICE IN HOME WITH A MUTE BUTTON, ENABLE VIDEO IN HOME, MUSIC IN HOME WHATS TAKING SO LONG,GAMES GAMES GAMES, HOW ABOUT YOU PUT THE XB IN HOME, START THE SYSTEM WITH IN HOME LET YOU AVATOR HAVE MORE CONTROL, COME ON PS3 EYE, I SPENT MONEY FOR NOTHING, THERE TAKING OUR EXCLUSIVE LETS TAKE THERES, YOU SEE HOW WII USES THERE AVATOR WHY CANT WE USE OURS LIKE THAT YOU SEE HOW XBOX USES THERE AVATOR WHY CANT WE, PS1 WAS THE BEST NOT ONLY BECAUSE IT HAD DVD, CAUSE IT HAD 1000 GAMES, GIVE ME A REASON TO PICKUP MY PSP IT HAS DUST ON IT, I DONT NOT WANT TO GET A XBOX I DONT WANT A WII, SO PLEASE SONY DONT LET PS3FANBOYS DOWN

zeePh3nom said:

June 26th, 3:38 am

@598

wtf you on about?! last time I checked Sony never asked you to stick to PS3! if you sold you “XTOY” to buy a PS3 I guess you could be dumb enough to do the same thing with your PS3?!

as for all of the other whiners, GET A LIFE! it’s not like you guys work for Sony and are helping making the firmware any better! SO suck it up and feel gratefull that unlike “Microrough”, you don’t have to pay to play online and neither you have to pay to download all the new firmware Sony works so hard for.

Bring on the next update! and wouldn’t it be wonderfull if it would allow my version of the ps3 to play my PS2 games :p

Nightkiller93 said:

June 26th, 3:39 am

Ok Sony, this has gone far enough. Month after month your fans are subjected to these useless and completely unecessary updates. The PSN is so far behind XBL, im [DELETED] surprised most are content with your [DELETED] service. It upsets me that you are destroying your PSN brand which for two years, you have fought to catch up to your competitors.

I know you won’t reply to this, or any other of these comments (thanks btw) but take a [DELETED] look at these people who are pissed at what your doing.Could you please explain to me why i should download this or any other of your updates when all i get is ‘Text Chat’,i mean what year is this 1985?

The playback quality of some PLAYSTATION 3 format software has been improved. You know what? Im happy with the current playback quality of PS3 games. SO [DELETED] OFF! What is the point in people wasting their bandwidth each and every month, to download this piece of [DELETED].

Im a huge fan of the Playstation brand, but please explain to me why i should continue to support you when all i get is this [DELETED] each and every month. Don’t you realise that your destroying the PSN.

Nightkiller93 said:

June 26th, 3:41 am

I hope the suits at Sony stop hiring [DELETED] (that’s you Eric) and get some people who are actually good at what they do. Surely Sony employees realise what they are doing but it appears that Mr.Eric Lempel is completely blind, because if he would actually stop jerking and read these [DELETED] comments then he would realise that people don’t what any of this crap.

I can only hope that you realise that this simply isn’t good enough. Oh and please fire Eric Lempel.

Everyone is tired of this [DELETED]. Please do something about it!!!

I3loodthirsty said:

June 26th, 4:52 am

how about being able to send messages to people on your friends list from the playstation site.that would be pretty cool ^_^

fleinn said:

June 26th, 5:41 am

“Don’t get me wrong I love my PSP & PS3 but I don’t like the fact that it’s can just die at any time. It makes me wonder if there’s a microchip that is programmed to die…”.

Look? There is a programmable rom you’re flashing during the update. If that update- routine fails, there’s a good chance the rom content is borked. It’s like that with all devices with programmable bios- roms. But then – it seemed to me they actually had a two- stage process, so there wasn’t a point of no return as far as booting the system and not being able to try again.

I guess.. they didn’t account fo everything.

GT911here said:

June 26th, 7:12 am

Hmm, I hope the upcoming updates feature colour fonts in the XMB…I had lots of trouble reading them as my favourite wallpapers have white background…:(

Phreaker47 said:

June 26th, 9:44 am

@Devindboy:

You can play your own music in-game, but it has to be supported specifically by the game. It was added to dev kits some time last year.

Do you have Killzone 2? If so, after loading the game, go to your XMB and choose some music or a playlist. You’ll get a message that says something like “cannot play now, but it will play later” (can’t remember the exact quote). Go into an online game and when the match starts, your selected music plays!

Wipeout HD and High Velocity Bowling are two other titles I know of that support custom music. In those games you just select it in the options.

It seems to work best to create several different playlists in your XMB. The feature is more useful this way when you can simply choose a playlist… there’s more flexibility.

Phreaker47 said:

June 26th, 9:46 am

Anyway, one complaint about this firmware, or should I say, complaint about an apparently false rumor.

It has been said that this update fixes the problem of having your DS3 controller assign itself #2 or higher when powering on, due to USB devices being plugged in. This wasn’t fixed for me… my controller is still #2 when I power on with a Nyko Blu-wave dongle plugged in. Bummer.

mads21 said:

June 26th, 10:39 am

Actually this update also includes better XCross Media Bar performance and it should include a lot a developer features like multi-logging while playing a game co-op so all players get trophys.

scoobyonline2000 said:

June 26th, 5:50 pm

PS2 backwards compatibility would really make it worth while buying another PS3. I have an original 60GB PS3, and its breaking down now… but I rather have that, than a new PS3 that does not play PS2 games out of the box. And yes I know PS2’s are 100 bucks.. but why add another console when I can have just one that plays all 3…. doesn’t make any sense.

CantReachBeer said:

June 26th, 8:04 pm

I just updated to this update thinking it’d IMPROVE the PS3 and it’d actually did more bad than good. Now, when I try to play guitar hero world tour…both of my guitars cannot be used in the game, only in the menu of the PS3. My regular controller works but not my guitars…what is going on Sony?!!? Any one else having this problem?

RyanMcBainDOTcom said:

June 27th, 1:29 am

THIS UPDATE SUCKS!!!!

gs6-gav_1 said:

June 27th, 10:12 am

nice one sony but please give us clear FULL list of all new features and fixes with each update other wise ill be angry grrrrrr!!!!

melliflous said:

June 27th, 11:58 am

what about 2.77? or how about in game private chat!

melliflous said:

June 27th, 12:08 pm

Sony Sony Sony, we’re asking for 2 things:

1. A list of the things in the update – as some have bandwidth (i.e. me)

2.In game private chat

hope this is true: http://www.softsailor.com/news/5440-rumor-ps3-firmware-3-0-will-be-a-truly-major-update.html

babytwon said:

June 27th, 3:13 pm

wen are we going to get something cool in a update.. i mean i love my ps3 dont get me wrong but we need a couple new features.. something like cross game video or voice chat would be great.

xFullMetlx said:

June 27th, 3:13 pm

I know its not a big deal, but are you guys going to be comming out with new avatars? Or the chance to be able to buy new ones? Just wondering.

RyanMcBainDOTcom said:

June 28th, 12:56 am

Sony is dropping the ball. Until they make PSN on the level of XBL or better, they will continue to get their lunch eaten by Microsoft.

babykiller555 said:

June 28th, 1:57 am

Firmware updates give me wowsers in my trousers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xBarbarian said:

June 28th, 5:28 am

well what about something bigger?

xBarbarian said:

June 28th, 5:29 am

comparing to Xbox Live PS3 is 10 years behind….

FULLMETAL56 said:

June 28th, 5:48 pm

Thanks SCE! ;)

DanteX9 said:

June 29th, 1:01 am

I just hope the next update is better ……like having random playback of videos on the PS3 or a custom video playlist also you guys should bring background play when you select the XMB and what would be really cool if you guys somehow got Hulu on the XMB as a feature and have there videos stream in 1080p that would definitely would be awesome

RyanMcBainDOTcom said:

June 29th, 1:59 am

Bill Gates [DELETED] all over this weak update.

RyanMcBainDOTcom said:

June 29th, 6:40 am

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

crazycar998877 said:

June 29th, 2:49 pm

i didn’t notice anything.

l-K-K-Y said:

June 30th, 6:51 am

yh they shud change the chat settings so you can type more

CaptainGillette said:

July 1st, 10:19 am

Wow… I can’t believe some of these comments. Seriously, people. Sony releases a patch firmware that fixes issues they’re aware of and you’re going to [DELETED] and moan about it? Would you rather that they just let those bugs sit there longer? Just because the update doesn’t have anything in it that you can see and play with doesn’t mean it’s worthless. Quit being such a bunch of toolbags. If the PS3 dev team is aware of problems in the firmware, fixes them, and lets you have those fixes for free, what the hell are you whining for? You would prefer not to be inconvenienced with a more stable system? Sheeeezz….

progdemon0085 said:

July 2nd, 9:05 am

I’m not very tech savy but I think enhanced playback, as it was vaguely put, could mean anything from DvD/Blu-Ray playback to actually disk load times in games. Besides we all know the PS3 hardware is currently being throttled by the firmware so who knows maybe this is one step closer to the “true potential” of the PS3 we’ve been hearing so much about.

I’m pretty darn happy with my PS3 TBH, aside from 3 things:

1. no XMB chat (join the club)

2. the clock overlap issue. hey its a big deal for me darnit! lol

3. no Tales of Vesperia port for PS3 yet

I think reading between the lines everyones pretty much just dissapointed with no XMB chat. Once XMB chat is in a lot of PS3 owners will be singing a different tune.

(On a side note, I have no idea how SoE can give Everquest 2 voice chat for every single in game group and raid and yet we don’t get it for making a 400$ system purchase, probly the same legal throttling thing with “that other company” again. Ya I realize PSN and SOE are different branches but Sony is at the core of it all! lol)

IMGrenadier said:

July 3rd, 7:48 pm

What I’ve been waiting for all these times I hear a new firmware is out is the following:

1. Alternative to the XMB; at least for the Memory Card manager. I threw on 23 PS and PS2 memory cards on there and you wouldn’t believe how frustrating it is to press down for a year to find the right memory card. But the same annoyance is present with other things you have to scroll down for hours on end to get to what you need. Cutesy, yes. Functional, no.

2.Memory card manager search function. As stated above I have a ridiculous amount of game saves spread over many virtual memory cards. I had to spend 5 hours one day writing each gamesave and it’s card down then transposing it to a spreadsheet. If the OS can store the gamesave name as a string it can surely query (look for) that string.

3.Toaster oven support. Seriously what gives. I jam a frozen pizza in the drive and wait 2 hours just so it can come out soggy and whatnot? Unacceptable.

discjockey14 said:

July 4th, 5:40 pm

It’d be nice if you made the browser separate from the operating system because the firmware updates never come soon enough and they really don’t have anything that improves the browser except for that copy and paste update. This way so it can get it’s own firmware updates sooner… I hope, either that or hire someone like the people who made Mozilla Firefox to do your browser. Seriously why can’t the ps3 browser not freeze and why can’t it show everything on a webpage??? It’s been about 3 years and it still sucks, but at least it’s better than what it was. Plus if you made it better than you wouldn’t have to add 5 million apps, like Xbox 360 is doing, for something you could get to through a browser. Please take this into consideration. Anyway, can’t wait for future firmware updates. Keep them Coming :)

bebeto said:

July 4th, 11:18 pm

I have a problem, I have a 60 gig and I never noticed any problems until I updated to 2.80 firmware. I noticed that my dual layer blurays wont read on the ps3 but once I eject it about 20 times then its able to read it, could it be my bluray drive or could it have been the firmware. oh and the same dual layer movies work on my brothers 40 gig just fine but he has not updated to 2.80 yet.

bebeto said:

July 4th, 11:22 pm

I have notice some problems with my 60 gig after I updated to 2.80. My bluray doesnt read dual layer movies but once I eject it about 20 times then it works, not sure if its cause of the firmware or my bluray drive. It works on my brothers 40 gig, he has not yet updated it.

RENOMETAL said:

July 5th, 8:40 am

We need an ARABIC language on the ps3 .
As I live in SAUDI ARABIA most of the people I know don’t really experience all of the ps3’s contents because they are not familiar with the language.
As I usually use my ps3’s browser than my PC
most or those game rivalry websites are in ARABIC therefore it’s extremely difficult for us to articulate what’s written on the page.
So if you could enhance the ps3 with an ARABIC language it would be extremely appreciated …
FOR any comments please send a message or you could reach me through my PSN account on the ps3 I’m usually on it daily….

jakdariipa said:

July 5th, 3:19 pm

This Is Probly Just To Patch That Remote Play Hack

Good Job Sony!!!

CRUNCHY_916 said:

July 5th, 5:53 pm

i think playstation needs to hurry up and have chat with your friends everywere like 360 does. cuz i have all three systems and 360 is betting ps3 on that. so kick it in to gear psn people,

CaptainMacTavish said:

July 6th, 8:41 am

Posted by Eric Lempel // Director, PlayStation Network Operations

A new PSP firmware update, v5.55, will be released soon. System software stability during use of some features has been improved.

in the future lol

CaptainMacTavish said:

July 6th, 8:41 am

Posted by Eric Lempel // Director, PlayStation Network Operations

A new PSP firmware update, v5.51, will be released soon. System software stability during use of some features has been improved.

CaptainMacTavish said:

July 6th, 8:41 am

Posted by Eric Lempel // Director, PlayStation Network Operations

nutellapr said:

July 7th, 10:09 am

Eric, just read your PC World interview and have to say I’m shocked by your defense of the XMB. I think we need to see some numbers/studies to back up your defense of what clearly infuriates many ps3 owners and is also the #1 active forum topic. Who enjoys so many freakin levels of navigation and the lack of integration inherent in the XMB concept? Sadly, the XMB is deployed in too many of Sony’s other products including the completely lackluster Aino. There’s nothing web 2.0 about the XMB and the silo like applications embedded in it. Sadly, this is likely way out of your control and it will take Sony to continually lose billions of dollars to ipods, iphones, xbox’s, DSis, Wiis and other competitors until they get the message. If the XMB was still relevant, it would have won the 2007, 2008, 2009 awards. Can’t rely on a 4 year old award to stay stuck in the past!

xTKxMZDawg123 said:

July 7th, 11:42 am

In my opinion, XMB is fine.

But seriously, there is no excuse for the lack of new avatars, especially when another service gets new ones all the time!

About 2.5 years with no new avatars, in game chat/cross game invites.

Oh well, I’m just glad that PS3 is getting all of the good games this year.

fusionkicker122 said:

July 7th, 2:54 pm

i think that cross chat would be really good and having more then one person logged in at the same time showing there trophies and such so that way they can both unlock trophies and have there own downloaded stuff on the same ps3

vinegarsandwich said:

July 8th, 2:00 am

Please please please, in game music, cross game chat, friends party chat no matter what game, or function is being used,
skype for ps3 also so i can chat to friends on the pc while im on my ps3 !!

l-K-K-Y said:

July 8th, 6:42 am

yh am with you with the in game music, oh an i just found owt about the play t.v seems goos might go for it they shoud uodate the ps3 so it supports IM an all that should be good, but the ps3 its the best console i had lmao

RyanMcBainDOTcom said:

July 8th, 9:41 am

Just give me the option to leave voice messages

Cross game voice chat

Custom game soundtracks

A better web browser

GET ON IT SONY.

TigerLust said:

July 8th, 10:47 pm

How about putting this in an update: You only get FORCED to update if the update is important.

Ninjou said:

July 9th, 6:43 pm

EVERY1!! I just tried it out, WE HAVE IN GAME MUSIC PLAYBACK!!! all you have to do while your playing your game, is go to your in game xmb and select your song and it will play!

YAY FOR 2.80!!