God of War

Jul 06

Jul 06

3-and-a-half Minutes with Polyphony Digital’s Kazunori Yamauchi

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

Towards the end of E3, at the end of the next-to-last day, I got a call from SCEA San Diego colleague Scott Goryl. “Wanna talk to Kazunori?” he asked. Chris and I ran from the LA Convention Center to the hotel suite, where I was able to jump in at the end of a long day of interviews with the producer of the Gran Turismo series. How much time did I get? Enough to ask 4 questions.

Now I’ve been sitting on this interview for about a month because I wanted you to be able to get some questions answered as well. So now that you’ve seen the trailer and you know a few details (800+ cars!), what do you want to know about Gran Turismo PSP? The game’s US producers will reply in a future post.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

MastrGT said:

July 6th, 9:30 pm

It’s great to see all of the GT fans popping in here, but remember there is an active GT forum waiting for you, too.

Check it out in the Racing Section.

Cheers,

MasterGT

VenomXv said:

July 6th, 9:30 pm

Are bikes coming to GT5? I remember reading a rumor they were

MastrGT said:

July 6th, 9:37 pm

We’ve been waiting since E3 for you to post this, Jeff.

If you are a fan of GT, you should also show up on the track with us and fly the SCEA colours. You know where to find us.

Ready? Set? Go!

Cheers,

MasterGT

Band2eto said:

July 6th, 9:37 pm

TRUE Sony fans are eagerly awaiting this epic title.

Take your Time Sony and Polyphony Digital! We know you guys are doing your BEST to PERFECT the game. We appreciate it!

Thank you!

*Give Jack Tretton a raise!* XD

Sackgi said:

July 6th, 9:42 pm

They should add more physics on the tires. Not only by being able to choose what kind of tire you want, but also to be able to notice the changes during the replays. This will reflect a lot of how a car behaves in real life and no one has come up with this yet.

MastrGT said:

July 6th, 9:50 pm

My question for SCEA is about how the unlocking of cars in GT PSP/GT5 works:

Is it a one-way street with each version only unlocking the cars that are in itself or will each version be able to unlock any and all cars in the other one and, if so, will the number of cars in each version therefore always be the same?

Thanks!

FelonOnParole said:

July 6th, 9:54 pm

Jeff first and only question should have been WHAT IS THE [DELETED] RELEASE DATE OF GT5!?!

LukaX23 said:

July 6th, 10:14 pm

why is gt5 footage shown when you guys are talking about gt for psp? that’s sort of like false advertising. sorry.

daddychaddy said:

July 6th, 10:38 pm

Okay I’m reading all these questions and no one is asking when is the demo coming to the public. Knowing there’s a working demo, this could keep all of us busy until oct.1. No more game will be bought until gt psp comes out. Helllz yeah!!!!!

MegadethAndy said:

July 6th, 10:44 pm

Glad to see some GT5.
Will there be Lamborghini?
Will there be the racing modification that was in GT1?

RunnerKyle said:

July 6th, 10:48 pm

I’ve got a PSP and GTPSP is exciting, but it’s starting to dilute my excitement for GT5. Why can’t we just get some release details on GT5? Is it still Q4? Sometimes it feels like Sony toys with us, probably because of lack of organization or inability to stick to deadlines, but it gets old always being told something will be released at a certain time and then it being pushed back 3-6+ months.

As far as GTPSP goes, I want to know how GTPSP will interact with GT5, and will we be able to use that functionality from day 1?

JumpMan33 said:

July 6th, 10:49 pm

I think “Translator Guy” should be the playstation blog’s official translator, because for what ever reason, everyone at E3 seemed to love him.

I was surprised to find out Gran Turismo 3 sold 15 million copies world wide, and Gran Turismo 5:Prologue sold 3 million with it only being a preview version!

I had no idea that GT is such a big franchise, it’s got me interested in way so many people prefer it over other racing sims.

Schmeidenkamp said:

July 6th, 11:43 pm

Heres a couple questions that may seem a little less important than others, but hope they get looked at : ]

1. Will there actually be real time tire marks on the tracks? From the tires themselves, as a result of driving on the dirt or grass?
2. Will the cars get dirty in real time? I always thought that was one of the things that held me back from 100% immmersion.
3. Will there be better visual car customization? Not like corny Need for Speed customization, but just something to make our cars feel a little more personal?

Thanks again, hope these get looked at :]

Schmeidenkamp said:

July 6th, 11:46 pm

Oh and just a personal opinion on GT5:

Nascar?! Really? Blech, delete it and get the game out sooner :]

alaM0000 said:

July 7th, 12:50 am

hopefully GT5 will come out soon in 2010 or but I’ll play GT PSP first :P

thegriefer said:

July 7th, 1:08 am

Cant wait for gt5 and gt portable when i get my new psp go! Please bring gt5 out this year.

DustyBlue said:

July 7th, 1:11 am

Lookin’ good, Jeff.

legalize said:

July 7th, 1:59 am

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa letsss goooo

release date come oneeeeeeeeeeeee this yeaaaar

enormhi said:

July 7th, 2:22 am

Not really in to race. I have seen that episode of Top Gear to. Top Gear is amazing.

@ Jeff, could you sent me that Uncharted 2 shirt? (please)

EmperorKorea said:

July 7th, 4:27 am

Is it really called Gran Turismo PSP?

Is GT5 a myth?

Will GT5 surpass the so-called “definitive racing game this gen”?

Will the cars be able to transform?

Cordeos said:

July 7th, 4:38 am

what happeneded to the killzone 2 free home chair?

SPARDA said:

July 7th, 6:27 am

IF this fall SONY can pull off a PS3 slim for $299, and release GT5 before Xmas…… it would be HUGE.
With all the other first (and second) party exclusives releasing before the 2009 holidays it would make the PS3 the only system to really own.

crowsticky1234 said:

July 7th, 6:39 am

Will there be anything in the Playstation Network based on the game (For Example, a demo).

FoolKiller79 said:

July 7th, 6:46 am

My questions:

GT PSP:
– damage?
– weather?
– day/night cycles?
– Will it help launch Ad-Hoc Party in the US?
– Are there any pre-order goodies (only reason I haven’t placed on yet)? Demos don’t count.

GT5:
– Release date?
– Number of cars?
– Number of tracks?
– how extensive is damage?
– dynamic weather?
– dynamic day/night cycles?
– Will NASCAR have more than the Chevy’s and Toyotas shown in the trailer?
– Will I get Road Atlanta/Petit Le Mans?

Jeff, thank you for this interview and arranging future time with the SCEA team. GT is likely the most anticipated, yet least known about, games on the PS3. It seems the leaks are not a Polyphony Digital issue.

Sokol2007 said:

July 7th, 7:20 am

Great Interview, thanks Jeff.

I’m looking forward to both PSP and PS3 versions of fantastic racer that kept me happy for many years. ;)

SlayerGT said:

July 7th, 7:25 am

JEFF!!! I have finally gained access to the PS.BLOG. JUST NOW! I have been unable to for months. I’m so excited. You’ll be seeing a lot of me. I’m most passionate about my Playstations. So naturally I love the Blog and the work you and your team (which I’m assuming you have…I hope) do.

Gran Turismo is one of the biggest reasons why I don’t have to think about whether or not I should buy the next Playstation. One of my favorite games, can’t wait!

Ok Jeff, see what Polyphony says to possibly doing a Tourist Trophy 2! After GT5’s release of course, and maybe supported by DLC. Will we ever get back on the BIKES?!

Thanks, SlayerGT

SlayerGT said:

July 7th, 7:52 am

Will GTPSP support the use of a DualShock3 via bluetooth on the PSPGO? If so, with or without rumble. =)

Reuyap said:

July 7th, 8:04 am

Kazunori is a beast. I know he owns like 8 cars, and 2 of them are Ford GT lol.

Carl-G said:

July 7th, 8:08 am

1 thing PLEASE!

BIG
GAME
INSTALLS?

GT5:Prologue was about 6/7GB?
(i think, with all the updates. Took ages to do to) :-/
So i sold it! :-/
Sorry that is just to much to keep on my Hard Drive.

Can’t wait for both games tho :P

faraway25 said:

July 7th, 8:23 am

Lol, it’s funny Scott’s trying to get Kazunori to retaliate against those loud mouth Forza guys…hell everyone is but he doesn’t care. The Forza guys are all like “GT is OLDSCHOOL! WE NEWSCHOOL BIZTNECHES” and Kazunori is like, “Hi nice to meet you, your game looks nice lets race together.”

For Kazunori, racing is a passion which is why he owns so many cars this isn’t a money making pissing competition, like it is to the Forza guys.

McClarenDesign said:

July 7th, 10:14 am

1. Will there be online endurance events (i.e. actual 24 hour Le Mans, Nurburgring, Daytona)?

2. How soon can we expect a list of cars in the game? Release date?

3. Will the new look and feel of GT5 provide better access to tuning options from the main menu?

4. What’s your favorite new feature of GT5?

Incubuster said:

July 7th, 12:03 pm

Not very much came out of that interview, but still I’m very excited for both games. :)

ForgetfuI said:

July 7th, 12:22 pm

With Prologue taking GT fans in to the online era of gaming, is PD going to embrace their already healthy online communities, such as the one’s that have grown on the Playstation.com forums’ GT boards?

There’s a general sense that passionate fans are marginalized by the fact that ‘they’ll buy the game anyways’. Any concerns, issues or problems we find go unfixed, and we are left to assume we’re just outright ignored. Please, come actively participate at with the community, and let your presence be known.

legalize said:

July 7th, 4:12 pm

take your time, but god damn i cant wait anymore

GTP_KARTRACER said:

July 7th, 6:58 pm

I would like to know how deep the tuning will go and, on a 24hr race, can the drivers be changed with other online drivers?

NativeCain said:

July 8th, 2:41 am

I wonder if that was the same translator from E3. You know…the one with the notepad…lmaox!

NativeCain said:

July 8th, 2:42 am

Hahah..never mind..should have read post 20!

onfireguy said:

July 8th, 9:20 am

ok Jeff, here’s two questions you can sling:

1. I see that racing is Ad-Hoc mode. What, if any, Infrastructure support will Gran Turismo PSP featre?

and

I recall someone at PD had previously stated that GT Mobile would not release until after GT5 for the PS3 was already out. So can we guess that GT5 will be out by October?!?

Thanks

MastrGT said:

July 8th, 10:26 am

What other interconnectivity modes or features (beyond unlocking cars) will be available between the PSP version and GT5?

Thanks!

Riaf28 said:

July 8th, 1:04 pm

Professor Playstation you are awesome, very cool interview.

aschx said:

July 9th, 2:05 pm

Jeff, can we play BF 1943 sometime???

TCS_disable said:

July 9th, 10:20 pm

As the result, just create another Battle Gear 4 only FOUR CAR in same race.

oh, I forgot this is based Gran Turismo 4

nonononono….

The Monte Carlo Layout same as Gran Turismo 3

He thinking just like PSP have another FF13.
but for me just, the “wishful thinking”
No more better word is, “delusion”

thats just the lie he delay the Gran Turismo for PSP almost 5 years.

Fortunately, I bought my PSP 1000 for Korean DJMAX Portable, MORE than his “Gran Turismo for PSP”

When he say the Game size just around 1GB.
I already know what happen there.

when look at fanboys, they said this game was stopped 1 year to develop.

OH~ I SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee.

for me, sounds like this studio… wellllllll

I confirmed I will buy it of two reason.

First, PSP haven’t RACING can make me happy.

Second, congratulations “Gran Turismo for PSP” finally really “will” release and “Prepare” leave from Vaporware club. LOL

yzfmike said:

July 11th, 3:43 pm

Here is my questions Jeff. It is three parts. Pick your favorite.
1 Will PD bring back Red Rock Valley Speedway. 2. Will they bring back cars that were in GT 1, 2, 3 that didnt make it to GT4 be back again to GT5 in HD? 3. Will PD bring back the Racing Modification from GT2 back?

boricuacookie said:

July 11th, 9:23 pm

hey Jeff, I got a favor to ask ya, if possible, if you see the translator guy again, take a picture with him, I wont blame you if he seems uninterested and taking notes lol,

Btw good work as always!

PAGE 1 2 3