PlayStation VR

Aug 05

Aug 05

PlayStation Eye Chat: Critter Crunch for PSN

Chris Morell's Avatar Posted by Senior Social Media Specialist

When you last saw Critter Crunch, it was probably at E3 when Capybara‘s Nathan Vella walked us through the game’s basics on the show floor.

Well Nathan is back, along with fellow Capy compadre Kris Piotrowski, to talk much more in-depth about Critter Crunch. Specifically, the duo describes the puzzle game’s versus /co-op modes and their power-ups, how the foodchain mechanic works and the robust single-player adventure more. Plus, there’s nice chunk of in-game footage included in the video.

And yes, there’s plenty more barf, too. Strategic, rainbow-colored barf, if you will.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Thrasher20 said:

August 5th, 11:58 am

Nice to see that you are doing more of these interviews Chris :). Who knows you might outdo Jeff Rubenstein! LOL. Thanks you Chris, you the man! Will look more into this game

Chris Morell said:

August 5th, 12:03 pm

Shhhh! Jeff hears all!!! No seriously, thank you…

soulrend said:

August 5th, 12:01 pm

Cool! Hope to see this, and Crystal Defenders soon!

Fnook said:

August 5th, 12:01 pm

Can’t wait for this.. It looks ultra FUN!. ^_^

ghamdikh1 said:

August 5th, 12:04 pm

@Nathan Vella

Read this OFFER AND gave me your opinion:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/26/gdc09-sony-encourages-ps n-exclusivity-with-pub-fund/

or this

if you interested why not give it a try.

Nathan Vella said:

August 5th, 12:39 pm

Ok ghamdikh1, here is my opinion:

Sony should be commended for creating something like the Pub Fund. While we didn\’t use it for Critter Crunch, it\’s still very much on our (and many other independent developers\’) radar.

In short, Pub Fund is great!

Shin-Ra said:

August 5th, 12:08 pm

I bought the iPhone version and the only thing I really don’t like is the less than fully responsive controls so this with dpad control and all the new content announced will do very nicely. :)

Kris Piotrowski said:

August 5th, 12:13 pm

Hey Shin-Ra, don\’t worry; The d-pad has transformed Biggs into super ultra responsive critter slaying machine. Touch controls can get a bit… iffy, especially when you start to break a sweat.

guitain said:

August 5th, 12:09 pm

What an awesome way to make interviews!
It really makes me want an Eye xO

This game looks really fun, and the rainbow barf is really hilarious!
The iPhone/iPod Touch-game is really great, and this looks to be so much better! I can not wait!

One question: Multiplayer(Co-Op and 1-on-1)… Is that on- and offline?

Kris Piotrowski said:

August 5th, 12:14 pm

Hey guitan, multiplayer is both on and offline.

Doing this interview was weird and fun. Technology is wonderful.

starBlinky01 said:

August 5th, 12:09 pm

bought this for iPhone and beat it and loved it and still play it, this might be one of the best games of 2009. And I am talking about the iPhone version. I am buying this day one no matter what.

When I saw this video on the blog this morning I screamed!! I might be the biggest fan of this game ever, I swear to god I am more excited for this game then anyone!!!

Kris Piotrowski said:

August 5th, 12:16 pm

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We\’re also pretty excited.

Shin-Ra said:

August 5th, 12:09 pm

Is that a blow up doll behind the chair in the background?! :x

Kris Piotrowski said:

August 5th, 12:17 pm

Ummm… That\’s our mascot, Hank Hudson…

zombie_56 said:

August 5th, 12:12 pm

yo lol theirs a blow up doll in the background lol

Ejsponge61 said:

August 5th, 12:15 pm

I love these interviews, but why is the menu bar at the bottom every time? But any way, I’ll definitely be getting that demo and, if I like it enough, get the game.

starBlinky01 said:

August 5th, 12:16 pm

@5 really? I thought the iPhone controls worked perfectly. In my opinion I think its the best controlled iPhone game out there.

Btw I wonder if the barf mechanic was inspired by two girls one cup?

skynidas said:

August 5th, 12:17 pm

This game looks really fun, when is coming out?

thegamer154 said:

August 5th, 12:20 pm

Come on! Just release the game already. Well, not really, keep working on it and make it great. Though is there offline multiplayer? They did say split screen though that does not mean offline multiplayer. Oh wells, really looking forward to it and most likely going to buy this game too. Thanks a lot!

Kris Piotrowski said:

August 5th, 12:31 pm

hey hey, just to mention again: Multilayer can be enjoyed both online and offline via friend on your couch.

About the release date: AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE:) For real. Right now we\’re doing things like:
    -increasing fun
    -adding additional colored pixels
    -cranking up the wow

Shin-Ra said:

August 5th, 12:21 pm

Cutscenes, adventure map and demo – nice.

Neil said:

August 5th, 12:22 pm

When I hover my cursor over the currently playing video, the video stops.

marcelino18 said:

August 5th, 12:27 pm

is ps3 better than exbox360?

marcelino18 said:

August 5th, 12:33 pm

hellow

Incubuster said:

August 5th, 12:33 pm

I’d love to be playing this …. like right now.

dreu81 said:

August 5th, 12:36 pm

Ooh make sure to add as many additional colored pixels as possible. i have a big tv. and if you could jazz it up a bit too, that’d be great. just make sure it pops!

Shin-Ra said:

August 5th, 12:39 pm

Can you store multiple power-ups for later use or does the latest one overwrite the one you had? If you can store many, is there a different button for each powerup or do you cycle through?

Onna76_NL said:

August 5th, 12:40 pm

Speaking of PS Eye, why aren’t there more PS Eye games coming to the PSN / PS3? Eye Pet is coming but then what? In the beginning there were several PS Eye games coming to the PSN to promote the PS Eye but since then my PS Eye is collecting dust which is really unfortunate. Next year of course we’ll be getting the Motion Wand, but it’ll be fun to have more game specifically meant for the PS Eye only, like on the PS2.

@8 ROTFLOMA _O_ Classic!

I really looking forward to this game, its always exciting to see new games in the PSN store :-)

deafwing said:

August 5th, 12:40 pm

ya delete my comment … thnks .. makes the rubber guy in the bg even more suspect :p but ya … this game was ace at e3 and I’m looking forward to it.

acerazer1 said:

August 5th, 12:41 pm

If you release this while I still have $10 on my wallet, I will buy it.

zombie_56 said:

August 5th, 12:46 pm

contact interactions studios i need a new chicken invaders for psn

whiskey_14 said:

August 5th, 12:46 pm

online is a selling point, you guys are smart! also it’s always nice to see devs replying to the peeps on here

can we play our own music?

caffeinatedkid said:

August 5th, 12:49 pm

Is that a graph comparing $$ and problems in the background?

Kris Piotrowski said:

August 5th, 2:12 pm

Yes it is. There are 3 more secrets in the background…

drdre74 said:

August 5th, 12:49 pm

is there anyway we can get a 3D critter that goes on your Home space avatars head like a hat lol! I own the iphone game and loved it. Very addictive even though I suck at the Time levels. Can’t wait for this to drop.

Kris Piotrowski said:

August 5th, 12:51 pm

Haha, great idea! We\’d love to do some stuff for Home, we\’re just not sure what yet. But yeah, perhaps? Maybe? Hopefully?

luizcab said:

August 5th, 12:53 pm

I never get tired of repeating… these PSEye interviews are the best idea you guys had lately!!

Please, keep them coming and as a plus pick a user from time to time to join the interview and throw one or two questions. More that that would be overkill!

Kris Piotrowski said:

August 5th, 12:58 pm

If this happens, I nominate marcelino18. He has a question I think he really wants to ask us:)

Jon_Mclane said:

August 5th, 12:58 pm

Maybe Jeff could pick up some parenting tips from this game for his new born

Gr00v3r06 said:

August 5th, 1:00 pm

I really like the eye video chat interviews. Way to continue to use the technology.

Also great looking game. I really am looking forward to this one. It really seems a lot of care goes into this. Please make it feature complete with Home game launching and in custom soundtrack support.

WantAPopsicle said:

August 5th, 1:00 pm

Is that rock band in the background?
Anyways good looking game.

dehumanizer_666 said:

August 5th, 1:00 pm

Man i can’t want to get my hands on this game, hopefully it’ll be released VERY soon cause i can’t wait any longer!!

Capt-Fury- said:

August 5th, 1:03 pm

the real question is…where is my Biggs avatar ;)

Nathan Vella said:

August 5th, 1:13 pm

Avatars and other fun things will hopefully be ready shortly for your consumption.

drdre74 said:

August 5th, 1:07 pm

Who would win in a fight between Bigs and Sackboy? lol LBP Critter Crunch levels! Make it happen.

starBlinky01 said:

August 5th, 1:08 pm

Coop actually looks really fun! I was skeptical, but yeah it looks cool. Btw can you pass through the other character when playing coop? Or is each player like a wall for the other player?

Also when are you going to be sending me the game so I can beta test for you?

Nathan Vella said:

August 5th, 1:17 pm

Biggs & Smalls can pass through each other freely (because they are family), so you\’re not at all limited in movement.

drdre74 said:

August 5th, 1:08 pm

Meant to ask before but after the games release anyway you’ll be going back in and updating the Iphone version with some of the things that are in this new PS3 version and also does the game work with remote play on the PSP?

xaos said:

August 5th, 1:12 pm

I think that the key question raised by this is why is there a plastic blow-up guy behind them? Unheralded member of the dev team or something more sordid?

Nathan Vella said:

August 5th, 1:29 pm

As Kris mentioned above, that is our mascot Hank Hudson… who also stars in Critter Crunch (you can see him in the clips of the cutscene).

He has a very, very powerful mustache.

Kris Piotrowski said:

August 5th, 1:47 pm

He has been with us since day one. He\’s the best!

Neverendin said:

August 5th, 1:14 pm

Critter Crunch needs to evolve with an expansion that would make the game similar to Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure. Who wouldn’t want to play through a platformer where you take control of Biggs?

This game isn’t even out yet and I’m thinking about an expansion! Regardless, day one.

jasondorsey2001 said:

August 5th, 1:16 pm

I’m happy to hear this. Say would it be possible to put it out for psp?

StalkingSilence said:

August 5th, 1:18 pm

Nice job “directing” the PSeye video, Chris. I liked seeing the change of camera view. oh, uh, cool game too!

xI-Red-Ix said:

August 5th, 1:21 pm

@29

ME!!!

oh wait you mean that RRoDBOX?

no thanks

BTW critter crunch looks good, will check it out

BlooodyCow said:

August 5th, 1:22 pm

does this game have in-game music? If not, make it happen.

This has to be the weirdest game I ever seen in my 15 years of gaming. Will be getting it alone on that factor.

Kris Piotrowski said:

August 5th, 1:53 pm

There\’s something that happens at the end that is… umm… also weird.

DryvBy said:

August 5th, 1:31 pm

Is there a way to get my PS Eye to be that clear and non-blocky?

DTXSFC said:

August 5th, 1:35 pm

Barf up! Will we get trophies and DLC for this? Will there be a barf off challenge?

Nathan Vella said:

August 5th, 1:42 pm

You\’ll definitely be getting Trophies, and we are really hoping to do some awesome DLC.

There is a (rather difficult) Trophy focusing on barfing…

KidCommando said:

August 5th, 1:37 pm

@23

I think Sony is focusing on the motion wands for use with the PSEye. The games that were released for the Eye when it first came out were limited. They could have spend more money on making games only for the Eye, or they could take that money along with a little more time and focus on the wand/Eye combo.

The Eye worked decent at launch, but the wands will perfect the possibilities. Think of the Eye and Eye games as market research with the final product utilizing the wands. Trust me, you will be happy to have your Eye and dusting that thing off in the future because it will be used.

I’m sold, looking forward to the technicolor barf!

piro_z said:

August 5th, 1:43 pm

awesome I didn’t know this was on I pod I’m gonna download the lite version and try it out =D

BlizzleJazzle said:

August 5th, 1:51 pm

That puke looks more delicious than any puke I have ever seen! Seriously! And that man in the background is soooo handsome, like a movie star!!

kassatsu said:

August 5th, 1:55 pm

Kris, your name is pretty awesome, but we all know “Chris” is much cooler.

– A Chris

Nathan Vella said:

August 5th, 2:00 pm

hey kassatsu… we are talking here and on gaf at the same time. What a wonderful world of technology we live in.

mightyplay said:

August 5th, 2:01 pm

i really like this new format for these videos

PAGE 1 2