Spider-Man PS4

Aug 13

Aug 13

Smash Cars Coming to PSN August 20th!

Scott Hyman's Avatar Posted by VP of Publishing, Creat Studios

We’ve been teasing you about this for a while now. But we’re good at it, and we can’t help ourselves. Now you can relax… the teasing is finally over.

The response from the Game Developers Conference in March was great. The E3 reactions were even greater. And, finally, coming to PlayStation Network on August 20th, it’s SMASH CARS from TikGames / Creat Studios!

So, just what is Smash Cars? Why, it’s is our tricked-out single or multiplayer online RC toy car racing game. With real-time physics simulation and vehicle customization, players can twist and turn, grind and gear up, perform aerial tricks and stunts while racking up points as they knock friends off the track and race to the finish.

Everyone can download all the high-end action and six-player online multiplayer competition starting Thursday, August 20th for $14.99. TikGames and Creat Studios are very excited about this launch, ‘cause we know you will have a blast playing Smash Cars.

Now, I know what you’re thinking. A great action racing game at a great price might be cool, but… what about trophies? What about downloadable extras? What about a contest to win a convertible sports car? Here’s the deal:

• Trophies, trophies and more trophies. Rack ‘em up and brag to your friends.
  • Downloadable content is being discussed. Stay tuned to this here space.
  • Oh, please! We’re not giving you a car. We’ve already worked hard on a great game… sheesh!

Thanks so much to our fans for your support. We really appreciate all the kind words and helpful suggestions. Please share your thoughts about Smash Cars. We just know you’re gonna love it.

Add Your Own

dragonleader33 said:

August 13th, 1:43 pm

Ahh thanks Trix that explains it. No worries we can just blame Scott.

Scott Hyman's Avatar

Scott Hyman said:

August 13th, 1:47 pm

When did my wife come onto this blog?

TRIX_BOL said:

August 13th, 1:44 pm

@ 151 dragonleader33

Don’t worry, he just forgot to do it that way. :)

SarshelYam said:

August 13th, 1:46 pm

Man…FANTASTIC Mr.Hyman!!

I remember seeing this some months back on one of our internal B-roll’s and I thought to myself:

1) Incredible sense of S-P-E-E-D!!!
2) Graphics worthy of a PS3 release!
3) An RC/Toy Car racer that DOESN’T suck!!

Then it kind of fell off the radar with no news, updates or previews. Now I come to the blog to find out I’ll have it next week (that’s right, I was sold months ago when I first saw the footage). PHENOMENAL!!

This is the one title that will fill in the gaps when I need a break from Batman: Arkham Asylum…trust me, that HAS to be an honor considering nothing else will tear me away from the Caped Crusader!

Scott Hyman's Avatar

Scott Hyman said:

August 13th, 1:49 pm

So glad we jumped back onto your radar. We weren\’t hiding, we were just slaving away making a cool game. I\’m sure you\’ll have a great time speeding and smashing next week.

Isamito said:

August 13th, 1:46 pm

without split-screen!!?? damn it! I’m disappointed…T__T, would have been more fun 4 players offline!

justins123456 said:

August 13th, 1:48 pm

man sorry for the third post, but any chance you guys will patch splitscreen in?

Scott Hyman's Avatar

Scott Hyman said:

August 13th, 1:49 pm

No idea about that, but I\’ll make the suggestion to our team.

Velmonte said:

August 13th, 1:50 pm

Which Studio came with the idea to create this game?

I mean, there were TikGames and Creat Studios. Who brought the craziness of this game?

Scott Hyman's Avatar

Scott Hyman said:

August 13th, 1:55 pm

Fair question. Smash Cars was a title produced by Creat Studios back in 2003. Creat partnered with TikGames to develop a version for current game systems, and PSN was the perfect fit.

calibus2000 said:

August 13th, 1:54 pm

At $10 it would be a definite buy for me. At $15 makes me continue enjoying Burnout Paradise, the MotorStorm franchise and their DLC’s.

Looks like a fun game for those that dont have any race games in their library. Keep up the good work and the fun games Creat Studios & TikGames. I’ll spread the word for you guys.

ShockWavePS said:

August 13th, 1:57 pm

Hmm I see a lack of power-ups… or was that just me?

Demonized said:

August 13th, 2:18 pm

This game looks like a hell of a lot of fun and I’m sure to be picking it up. Will this release in the UK on the 20th also?

A suggestion for potential DLC….radio controlled boats, possibly hovercraft (dunno how hovercraft mechanics would work but boats would be awesome!) and radio controlled aircraft (planes and helicopters maybe, definitely planes tho) in addition to cars.

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

August 13th, 2:20 pm

OK..i just want to say this game is AMAZING…YET..i dont understand WHY…OH WHY…theres no SPLIT SCREEN!!!..that SUCKS!..if it costs an xtra 5 buks i would GLADLY PAY FOR IT..but i guess not EVERY GAME is PERFECT :/..so sad…BUT im sure this game allows you to CUSTOMIZE our RC..RIGHT? :p

ADR143 said:

August 13th, 2:21 pm

it looks good but i need demo to decide

Velmonte said:

August 13th, 2:21 pm

Ha, will the watermelons make any difference in the gameplay? Or will they just make you lose control of your vehicle?

Great game by the way, you guys Rock!!!

Velmonte said:

August 13th, 2:21 pm

Will the watermelons make any difference in the gameplay? Or will they just make you lose control of your vehicle?

Great game by the way, you guys Rock!!!

lowhonor said:

August 13th, 2:22 pm

this absolutely does not look worth 15 dollars at all. i don’t understand how you devs decide these prices.

you can get motorstorm used for almost the same price…

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

August 13th, 2:22 pm

probably to late to get a reply..oh well..guess i can wait and try again..when its posted again on the GREAT PS BLOG :p

Poopookakabumbum said:

August 13th, 2:22 pm

“Nothing to lose and everything to gain”

Nothing to lose except a physical disc.

No disc = No sale.

Velmonte said:

August 13th, 2:24 pm

My bad for double commenting the same, connection is too slow that I clicked submit button again. :(

emjayx said:

August 13th, 2:31 pm

Six player is great, but how easy will it be to play with other friends? Is there a join option or perhaps a party system?

midnightshade said:

August 13th, 2:45 pm

looks awesome! You guys make some of the best psn games! buying day 1 like usual!

Zero86-Sk said:

August 13th, 2:47 pm

Game looks like Motorstorm crossed with Jak X combat racing and Existe Truck

so tup put it simply

it looks totally awesome.

cant wait

Devil240Z said:

August 13th, 3:09 pm

this makes me want to play RC de GO! for PS1. that game was sweet. it was like gran turismo for rc cars. sony please release RC de GO! on psn! too bad i think it was published by Acclaim so its probably not easy to get it out like first party PS1 games.

Liamario said:

August 13th, 3:12 pm

Quick question, will the game be running at 60 fps? Big selling point for a lot of people and I don’t think developers realise this

Scott Hyman's Avatar

Scott Hyman said:

August 13th, 3:30 pm

Sorry guys… gotta sign off. Thanks for checking in, and all of your questions. We appreciate all of you taking interest in our games, and I hope you enjoy Smash Cars. Oh, please… I know you will!!!

TheTaxMan said:

August 13th, 3:40 pm

Nice looking game is it releaseing in the EU on the same date ??

please reply dude.x

spatsnaz said:

August 13th, 3:59 pm

Looks very good. Shame about no splitscreen though.

piro_z said:

August 13th, 4:09 pm

I needs munny XD

Racer_x124 said:

August 13th, 4:12 pm

Just had to say (being an avid RC racer) that I am pleased with the modeling.

Is that an engine head I see in the 1/8 buggy?

Kamahl_rg said:

August 13th, 4:26 pm

game looks pretty good, i think im gonna buy it… not sure if i will on day 1 though (i might not have the money)

acerazer1 said:

August 13th, 5:59 pm

Well, I have every tik/cfeat trophy so far, so hopefully I’ll come across $15 before aug. 20th to buy this.

TOY_BOXX said:

August 13th, 6:38 pm

Why can’t we get demos for PSN games? I’m not going to spend $15 on a game that I know nothing about. Do we purchase vehicles this way? I don’t think so. We can look at gameplay footage all day long but if we can’t see how the game plays out (i.e playing it for ourselves) then whats the point?

Bionicle123 said:

August 13th, 6:46 pm

Hmmmm this is a cute game it some what reminds me of motor storm pacific drift but just looking at the preview gets me pumped up for it ^_^ i like looking at game previews and liking them at first sight it tells me that the game is promising I also cannot wait until Mod Nation Racers come out !! the moto play ,create, share reminds me of LBP = Little Big Planet keep it up Sony so far your me favorite network and i enjoy the ps3 product

Frexter said:

August 13th, 6:48 pm

It kinda resembles PURE with RV toys. Which equals awesome in my book. Please, don’t even ask what book it is. Just… don’t.

Ramsfan17 said:

August 14th, 12:02 am

PSN WHY IS YOUR GAMES 14.99 NOW THIS LOOKS LIKE A 4.99 R 9.99 GAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS A RECESSION AD YALL CHARGING LIKE MAD DANG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOR A GAME LIKE THIS????????????

LOL

BF 1943 WAS THE ONLY GAME WORTH 14.99

THIS GAME IS NOT WORTH 14.99 AND I GET NO DEMO ????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spacebrain said:

August 14th, 12:20 am

reminds me on good old revolt times :)

i am really looking forward to this!

onlineatron said:

August 14th, 4:24 am

I hope everyone here buys the game considering the effort Scott has gone through answering the blog’s questions =D

However i’m really dissapointed there is no local MP… this is thte kinda game that is perfectly suited for it!

lvclix said:

August 14th, 6:24 am

Wow I feel old. I was just thinking the other day about old NES games that were classics and, how one in my mind that stood out that hardly gets any love RC ProAm.
Then I thought, I wonder if it had a sequel. Then it occurred to me how much I would love to play a next gen version of that masterpiece. Viola!, here it is.

This would be an instant buy if I were not currently unemployed, newly married with a baby on the way. Damn you economy! :D

Best of luck to this game and its family of developers.

maximilianoo said:

August 14th, 7:46 am

Sorry guys, I love your games and I don’t mean to be harsh, but having no offline multiplayer mode in this type of game its kind pointless :S

traininvain90 said:

August 14th, 8:18 am

this looks awesome! Too bad I won’t be around to buy it, but I will most likely when I can =D

Sindred said:

August 14th, 8:30 am

There was an old PS2 game called Rumble Racing that allowed you to do flips and twists off ramps. It’s one of the most zany and fun racing games I ever play on PS2, but it was a major sleeper title no one heard about.

This game seems to capture the spirit of that game, but the remote control cars add a nice twist to it. Judging from the video, it plays like Rumble Racing, and this is a great thing. The racing Genre needs a game like this. We have Regular Racers, Crash Racer (burnout), but this is like Ninja racing and it’s hella fun. I can’t wait for next week. I do wish it had splitscreen for my fiance and I to play but we can take turns too :)

Bionicle123 said:

August 14th, 10:34 am

How many times do i have to say that they are working on the ps3 platform more than the ps2 geez

mkdj011 said:

August 14th, 10:51 am

Is there going to be online leaderboards for like fastest lap or most first places? About how many trophies are we talkin? It looks like fun, I might buy. I would recommened a patch for custom soundtrack at some point, it’s a cool feature that’s not impossible to impliment, especially for $14.99(even MvC2 has it). An add on for local multiplayer should be developed, I’d even understand paying $4.99 for it if it was bundled with some other little additions.

Kalakaua said:

August 14th, 12:08 pm

You MUST put in the old school bat mobile. And when you hit something display a “POW!” and such with the proper sound effects as it was on the tv show. I’d buy that as a extra car.

Get the song too! Dun dun dun dun… BATMAN! :)

DragonNutz said:

August 14th, 12:22 pm

Hey Scott, it doesn’t look like anyone else replied to your suggestion… I wouldn’t have any problem driving a Smash Cars themed vehicle, if it is either mine dressed-up or it is provided by Tik and Creat and I get paid to do so.

I live in Austin

katsuo7171 said:

August 14th, 12:24 pm

Thank you for replying to all of these questions.

MORE DEVS NEED TO DO THIS, instead of posting and fleeing

Macron-Black said:

August 16th, 4:23 pm

Hey guys you always crying!!! cheap gamers!!…this games looks promising and with online multiplayer its worth paying $14.99 get yourself a part-time,dont be such crybabys…you make it sound like you dont deserve to have a PS3.

Scott Hyman thank you for your replies, only for your time replying you should collect $14.99…keep up the good work.

For cheap gamers:
*minimum salary went up $7.25
*For those without job send me a Resume.
*If ur cheap would had bought an XBox360.

mamaitata said:

August 20th, 3:20 am

I remember playing this game with my kid on a PC back in 2004…it was called RC Cars and my 4 year old loved it. He is now 9 and told me about Smash Cars, how funny, day 1 purchase for me!! Thanks Tiki!

Its_tricky83 said:

August 20th, 4:33 pm

Cool, takes me back to multiplayer Revolt times (like spacebrain said up a few comments). Been hanging out for a game like this, will wait for a good review before purchasing though :-S

TANKGERL said:

August 21st, 1:45 am

love the game, but we need more maps.

P1x44r said:

August 21st, 11:35 am

A demo would be great. It intrigued me, but at $15 it’s not as easy to buy it without trying first.

reptilematt said:

August 22nd, 4:19 pm

Playstation needs to start implementing split-screen to the PS3 titles otherwise I’m better off buying a used PS2! Seriously!